PDA

View Full Version : Tim Brando on Finebaum

shannondawg
09-26-2016, 03:53 PM
He was very critical of the administration and donors at LSU, and why would a coach want to go there, where they would have no idea as to who they would be working for.Why would Herman want to go there,he is in line for a 5 mil job at Houston, and a recruiting area that is equal or better than Baton Rouge. He said they would be better to make another run at Jimbo. He also mentioned Stricklin, Byrne as being AD's that you know who would be working for.

He made a point that I have thought for years. That some donors think that where the denial place is put on their check is in direct relation to their football knowledge.

was21
09-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Your sentence about Stricklin and Byrne is confusing.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
While Brando's opinion on most things are irrelevant, he is keyed into happenings around LSU.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I agree with Brando.

Allowing boosters & donors to get into coaching decisions is a disaster for any athletic department. We've had some people on this board that have cheered for this happen at MSU, but I think it's absurd.

coastdoglover
09-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Just keep Templeton as far away as possible. Good luck to Scott but MSU ought to go back to Greg Byrne and throw the bank at him to return .

shannondawg
09-26-2016, 04:36 PM
Your sentence about Stricklin and Byrne is confusing.

Sorry. He just said they are the type that you would want to work with, as you would know who you was in charge. Unlike down at LSU thats it not clear who is in charge.

shannondawg
09-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Just keep Templeton as far away as possible. Good luck to Scott but MSU ought to go back to Greg Byrne and throw the bank at him to return .

Im leaving the country is they bring LT back.

BB30
09-26-2016, 04:41 PM
I agree with Brando.

Allowing boosters & donors to get into coaching decisions is a disaster for any athletic department. We've had some people on this board that have cheered for this happen at MSU, but I think it's absurd.

It is absurd and I highly doubt the boosters/donors would want an AD making a critical decision pertaining to their business, so why expect an AD would want a booster meddling in Athletics business is beyond me. Boosters generally make their money that they donate in businesses not involved in athletics and literally have no real knowledge or experience in hiring and firing of coaches. We pay our AD to make those decisions and that is why they are in the profession they are in. I would undoubtedly trust Scott Stricklin's judgment before one of our boosters and or fans.
The only asset a booster should be bringing to the table is the $$$ to improve facilities etc. If they have a need to feel special for donating large sums of money slap their name somewhere and give them access benefits but allowing them to get involved with hiring and firing decisions is utterly ridiculous.

Johnson85
09-26-2016, 04:51 PM
I agree with Brando.

Allowing boosters & donors to get into coaching decisions is a disaster for most athletic departments. We've had some people on this board that have cheered for this happen at MSU, but I think it's absurd.

FTFY. It's not a good thing, but coaches will put up with the risk for a school like LSU. If you think you are a national championship caliber coach and want to win one, there's not many places that are a better option than LSU. The biggest downside to LSU is not its boosters, it's having to play Saban in the regular season.

Todd4State
09-26-2016, 04:57 PM
It is absurd and I highly doubt the boosters/donors would want an AD making a critical decision pertaining to their business, so why expect an AD would want a booster meddling in Athletics business is beyond me. Boosters generally make their money that they donate in businesses not involved in athletics and literally have no real knowledge or experience in hiring and firing of coaches. We pay our AD to make those decisions and that is why they are in the profession they are in. I would undoubtedly trust Scott Stricklin's judgment before one of our boosters and or fans.
The only asset a booster should be bringing to the table is the $$$ to improve facilities etc. If they have a need to feel special for donating large sums of money slap their name somewhere and give them access benefits but allowing them to get involved with hiring and firing decisions is utterly ridiculous.

If I am giving over a certain amount to something you better damn well believe I would want to have some say in the decisions that are made.

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 05:02 PM
FTFY. It's not a good thing, but coaches will put up with the risk for a school like LSU. If you think you are a national championship caliber coach and want to win one, there's not many places that are a better option than LSU. The biggest downside to LSU is not its boosters, it's having to play Saban in the regular season.

Also, LSU has problems at the top and with the AD. I really think this is a big issue that the next coach will have to weigh out. Although I'm not sure the AD survives either. Worse case for the SEC west is that they actually get a good AD with the right fit as HC.

BB30
09-26-2016, 05:11 PM
If I am giving over a certain amount to something you better damn well believe I would want to have some say in the decisions that are made.

Ok, my logic behind what I said... If I am giving a large bulk of money to something it probably means that I want whatever that is to have success. If I do not have any experience or real solid knowledge of the subject then what good am I doing by being a part of the decision? The only thing I could possibly do is hinder the process. Why should money be the sole dictator of me getting to play a part in making the decision. How does that help the program move forward in making the correct decision. To me that just means that the boosters want to feel important whether or not their knowledge actually helps the situation.
You see companies outsource parts of their job all the time whether it is distribution, hiring an online marketing firm etc. Why do they do this? Because they do not have the knowledge or time to achieve optimal success that the firm being hired could. So letting boosters be involved in the decision making process at the end of the day just hinders it.

Todd4State
09-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Ok, my logic behind what I said... If I am giving a large bulk of money to something it probably means that I want whatever that is to have success. If I do not have any experience or real solid knowledge of the subject then what good am I doing by being a part of the decision? The only thing I could possibly do is hinder the process. Why should money be the sole dictator of me getting to play a part in making the decision. How does that help the program move forward in making the correct decision. To me that just means that the boosters want to feel important whether or not their knowledge actually helps the situation.
You see companies outsource parts of their job all the time whether it is distribution, hiring an online marketing firm etc. Why do they do this? Because they do not have the knowledge or time to achieve optimal success that the firm being hired could. So letting boosters be involved in the decision making process at the end of the day just hinders it.

I see your point but I think of the AD as an adviser. I trust that they will do the right thing for the most part and trust their decisions but getting feedback on those decisions is not too much to ask for. And if the coach isn't performing I would at least want a rationale behind why they aren't performing and would reserve my right to not donate money if I feel like it is being used unwisely.

I have a financial adviser that manages my assets. I trust her in that she knows how to manage my money. If my assets decrease in value I have a discussion with her and then do what is necessary largely based on her advice. If my money continues to decrease over a period of time then I am going to make a change in some form.

shannondawg
09-26-2016, 05:29 PM

Giving enough money to add on a practice field makes you qualified to hire or fire a coach, and be able to demand what offensive or defensive scheme to run?

Firing you asset manger of your own personal funds is one thing, but trying to dictate to an athletic dept on how to run theirs is completely another.

Commercecomet24
09-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Thought you gave money to your school to help it be better not to buy input in hiring/firing, plays that are called or who plays and who doesn't.

Spiderman
09-26-2016, 05:53 PM
LSU is the best college football coaching job in America.

That my firm opinion.... and Nick Saban's.

LSU can hire whoever they want from the college ranks, except Saban, ironically .

TUSK
09-26-2016, 05:56 PM

LSU can hire whoever they want from the college ranks, except Saban, ironically .

there's a lot of "right" in this post.

vv83
09-26-2016, 05:57 PM

Well.. and Fisher

msbulldog
09-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Sorry. He just said they are the type that you would want to work with, as you would know who you was in charge. Unlike down at LSU thats it not clear who is in charge.

Thanks for the clarification, I was also confused.

Todd4State
09-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Giving enough money to add on a practice field makes you qualified to hire or fire a coach, and be able to demand what offensive or defensive scheme to run?

Firing you asset manger of your own personal funds is one thing, but trying to dictate to an athletic dept on how to run theirs is completely another.

"Say" as in if I don't like the product on the field I can hold back my funds. Who the athletic staff hires and what scheme the coach runs I wouldn't expect to have a direct call on that.

I don't tell my financial advisor what stocks/funds to invest in either. But if it starts to tank I'm taking some kind of action.

If you donate 500K to a football program you better believe those boosters see it as an investment too.

msbulldog
09-26-2016, 06:39 PM

Todd, I know how much you love baseball and I don't know how your are fixed financially. But, if you put up another 20 mil towards the baseball renovation, we will definitely let you have a say in the redesign. But we ain't letting you talk to Cohen, HAHA.

Spiderman
09-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Well.. and Fisher

why?

was21
09-26-2016, 06:47 PM
I hate to say it but the situation Stricklin is walking into may not be ideal. I don't know that I would want Jeremy Foley and Steve Spurrier in offices just down the hall, even though his salary may have been doubled. He'll earn it and those UF folk don't have a lot of patience. In other words, Strick may end up not knowing who he's working for. It's also interesting that none of the UF underlings in their athletic department wanted to be considered for the job, by published accounts.

Mjoelner34
09-26-2016, 07:01 PM
I hate to say it but the situation Stricklin is walking into may not be ideal. I don't know that I would want Jeremy Foley and Steve Spurrier in offices just down the hall, even though his salary may have been doubled. He'll earn it and those UF folk don't have a lot of patience. In other words, Strick may end up not knowing who he's working for. It's also interesting that none of the UF underlings in their athletic department wanted to be considered for the job, by published accounts.

I would like to see the look on his face if the first question at his press conference is "Mr. Stricklin, have you asked Coach McElwain what he plans to do to make sure that what happened against UT this past weekend doesn't happen again next year and if it does, what are you prepared to do about it?"

msbulldog
09-26-2016, 07:05 PM

I hear he's looking at 1 mil to 1.4 mil per year. I'm sure a experienced AD negotiated a guaranteed contract. 5 year contract like that, if they pissed me off, I would set it on cruise control, cover my a$$ and start looking for the next opportunity. This job is a helluva resume builder! Good for Strick, he's one of ours.

Bodaski
09-26-2016, 07:23 PM

So, if I understand you correctly you are basically saying you want to buy a position of decision-making.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-26-2016, 07:23 PM

You are wrong. LSU was nothing special before Saban, and they are heading right back to mediocrity. Miles averaged close to 10 wins a season and won 2 national titles in 12 years. Why would any coach want to go there? That is a pretty short leash. They are going to whiff on Tom Herman. He is waiting to go to ND. They might hire a capable head coach, but it won't be the sexy hire that everyone on this board expects. Briles should not be an option at this point, and Florida State is a better job than LSU.

For every situation like this whena team makes an upgrade there are 4 others that were pretty good and become terrible.

Pelini
Fulmer
Cutcliffe
Richt

The list goes on....

Spiderman
09-26-2016, 09:01 PM
You are wrong. LSU was nothing special before Saban, and they are heading right back to mediocrity. Miles averaged close to 10 wins a season and won 2 national titles in 12 years. Why would any coach want to go there? That is a pretty short leash. They are going to whiff on Tom Herman. He is waiting to go to ND. They might hire a capable head coach, but it won't be the sexy hire that everyone on this board expects. Briles should not be an option at this point, and Florida State is a better job than LSU.

For every situation like this whena team makes an upgrade there are 4 others that were pretty good and become terrible.

Pelini
Fulmer
Cutcliffe
Richt

The list goes on....

No, I'm not wrong. Saban agrees, and so does anybody else that understands. They've made bad hires.

Had Saban stayed, it would be unreal.

Had Miles kept up with the times, they and Bama would be 1-2 until they played every year pretty much.

Coursesuper
09-26-2016, 09:21 PM
No, I'm not wrong. Saban agrees, and so does anybody else that understands. They've made bad hires.

Had Miles kept up with the times, they and Bama would be 1-2 until they played every year pretty much.

You are absolutely correct, LSU is the king of bad decisions.

gravedigger
09-26-2016, 09:29 PM
He was very critical of the administration and donors at LSU, and why would a coach want to go there, where they would have no idea as to who they would be working for.Why would Herman want to go there,he is in line for a 5 mil job at Houston, and a recruiting area that is equal or better than Baton Rouge. He said they would be better to make another run at Jimbo. He also mentioned Stricklin, Byrne as being AD's that you know who would be working for.

He made a point that I have thought for years. That some donors think that where the denial place is put on their check is in direct relation to their football knowledge.

I know my pastor reads this forum. I say this in all candor. F Brando. Take a guess what the "f" is for.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-26-2016, 10:13 PM

LSU was nothing special before Saban, and had not won a NC since the 50's before Saban got there. If it was so easy to win and dominate there, I would think they would have won a championship in half a century.

Saban would win at any decent sized college he went to. Period. If Saban had landed at Tennessee or Notre Dame we would be talking about them the same way we talk about Bama or LSU. Maybe LSU hires an incredible coach, but I doubt it. Time will tell though. LSU went 54-58 in the entire decade of the 90's. The best coaching destination in the country simply doesn't do that.

Commercecomet24
09-26-2016, 10:15 PM
I know my pastor reads this forum. I say this in all candor. F Brando. Take a guess what the "f" is for.

I love it And I agree completely on Brando!

Spiderman
09-26-2016, 11:43 PM
LSU was nothing special before Saban, and had not won a NC since the 50's before Saban got there. If it was so easy to win and dominate there, I would think they would have won a championship in half a century.

Saban would win at any decent sized college he went to. Period. If Saban had landed at Tennessee or Notre Dame we would be talking about them the same way we talk about Bama or LSU. Maybe LSU hires an incredible coach, but I doubt it. Time will tell though. LSU went 54-58 in the entire decade of the 90's. The best coaching destination in the country simply doesn't do that.

That's because they had shitty coaches. It has nothing to do with that. It is the place with the most built in advantages, by far. A good coach there, like Saban and Miles can, and did dominate.

Miles just burned out or just got too comfortable. Imagine a Patterson, Briles, Herman, or Shaw there, or any other proven HC. Hell, Hugh Freeze would win real big there and wouldn't have to cheat

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-27-2016, 08:19 AM
That's because they had shitty coaches. It has nothing to do with that. It is the place with the most built in advantages, by far. A good coach there, like Saban and Miles can, and did dominate.

Miles just burned out or just got too comfortable. Imagine a Patterson, Briles, Herman, or Shaw there, or any other proven HC. Hell, Hugh Freeze would win real big there and wouldn't have to cheat

This is all just your opinion. So you are telling me they simply had a string of bad coaches from 1958 to 2000? From the time they won the national championship in 1958 up until the time they hired Saban in 2000 the program was 285-165-14. That averages out to 7 wins and 4 losses per year. Pretty average for the best coaching destination in the country, with all of the built in advantages that they have.

Spiderman
09-27-2016, 06:10 PM
This is all just your opinion. So you are telling me they simply had a string of bad coaches from 1958 to 2000? From the time they won the national championship in 1958 up until the time they hired Saban in 2000 the program was 285-165-14. That averages out to 7 wins and 4 losses per year. Pretty average for the best coaching destination in the country, with all of the built in advantages that they have.

Jesus, some are too stupid to try to talk to.

Go argue it with Saban... evidently he is as big a dumbass as me.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2016, 06:27 PM

You both have a point. LSU does have a bunch of advantages, but their history says they don't win big without a great coach. The odds are the next guy won't do as well as Miles. That doesn't mean he won't, just that the odds are against him.

Spiderman
09-27-2016, 08:18 PM
You both have a point. LSU does have a bunch of advantages, but their history says they don't win big without a great coach. The odds are the next guy won't do as well as Miles. That doesn't mean he won't, just that the odds are against him.

The topic was, Brando saying they screwed up and who would want the job?

I figure everybody in the college ranks but Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh.

Coaches know how good this job is.

They will have no problem IF they really want a proven coach. They will be lined up for it.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2016, 08:59 PM

They will have no problem IF they really want a proven coach. They will be lined up for it.

We will see. THAT hasn't been their history either.

TTrams
09-27-2016, 09:25 PM
A lot of University of Texas in this thread. Entitlement and meddling boosters does not lead to success.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-27-2016, 09:54 PM

I'm stating facts. You are stating opinions. If that makes me "too stupid to talk to" then so be it. LSU has been a slightly above average program through its entire history. These are the facts. Miles actually brought that average up, too. Maybe they make a home run hire, but I kind of doubt they do. Liverpool is right. Their history suggests they will not make a great hire even though it is "the greatest coaching destination in America"

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-27-2016, 09:59 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with firing Les, but they did it at the wrong time. They should have either gone through with it last year, or waited until the season ended this year. As for other Coaches.... Tom Herman will not go there, and Jimbo Fisher isn't leaving Florida State. So after their top candidates on their list who do they call next? What would the job requirements be? Beat Saban? Good Luck.

I'll hang up and listen, that is if my small feeble brain is able to comprehend your response.