PDA

View Full Version : Well, now you can pretty much take it to the bank that Mullen will be here next year.

HSVDawg
09-26-2016, 02:58 PM
Unless he leaves on his own, there is no way we will fire him with an interim AD in place. So I guess that discussion can be tabled until December of 2017 at the earliest. On to Auburn....

thf24
09-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Kinda hoping a potential new AD will take a stronger stance and issue some specific ultimatums if necessary. I don't think anyone would disagree Mullen could be a consistently great coach for us if he'd swallow his pride and make a few philosophical changes.

Homedawg
09-26-2016, 03:35 PM
He wasn't getting fired anyway. So there's that.

Johnson85
09-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Unless he leaves on his own, there is no way we will fire him with an interim AD in place. So I guess that discussion can be tabled until December of 2017 at the earliest. On to Auburn....

(1) That was true before Stricklin was leaving, but (2) Why in the hell would we still have an interim AD in December? There's not reason to make a rush hire, but we have plenty of time to do a thorough search and interview process and have a new AD in place in December/January.

RougeDawg
09-26-2016, 03:46 PM
He wasn't getting fired anyway. So there's that.

The humor is strong in this one!!!!!!!!!

HSVDawg
09-26-2016, 03:46 PM
(1) That was true before Stricklin was leaving, but (2) Why in the hell would we still have an interim AD in December? There's not reason to make a rush hire, but we have plenty of time to do a thorough search and interview process and have a new AD in place in December/January.

Regarding (1), it was probably true, but if things got really bad there was at bare minimum leadership in place that could navigate a search and infrastructure to sell to prospective candidates (they would know who they were working for). Now none of that will be in play.

Regarding (2) It took Florida 3.5 months to replace Foley. Asking us to get someone in within 2 months is a pretty aggressive target. Not saying it can't be done, but AD searches typically drag on a lot longer than coaching searches. And even if we do get it done quickly, no AD is going to roll in and fire the winningest football coach in the school's history right when they get on the job.

thf24
09-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Regarding (2) It took Florida 3.5 months to replace Foley.

Different in that Foley is still UF's athletic director and will be until October 1st. We'll have an interim starting Saturday while they'll have never been without a full-fledged AD.

Jack Lambert
09-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Must be some slow walking and sad singing going on.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2016, 03:55 PM

He was never leaving either way.

Political Hack
09-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Nm

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-26-2016, 04:00 PM
I would actually think this would make it more likely Mullen is canned.

msstate7
09-26-2016, 04:17 PM
The humor is strong in this one!!!!!!!!!

Homedawg is one you should listen to when it comes to football

Political Hack
09-26-2016, 04:37 PM

"Football team issues" and who's running the hiring/firing process are two very, very different things.

RougeDawg
09-26-2016, 04:57 PM

So I should throw out what words came directly from Mark Keenum's mouth and listen to your man Homes?

msstate7
09-26-2016, 05:01 PM
So I should throw out what words came directly from Mark Keenum's mouth and listen to your man Homes?

Mark keenum told you he was firing Mullen?

RougeDawg
09-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Mark keenum told you he was firing Mullen?

Mark Keenum is fed up with Dan and Strick was the buffer. Keenum stepped in this off season and put his foot down. Told Mullen no raise, no extension and neither going forward if things don't change. Things haven't changed. We finish 6 wins or less and Dan doesn't make the changes demanded, he gone. Keenum wanted to but couldn't afford last year. He's done with dans whoring and keeping dead weight on coaching staff. And he informed Scott he was tied to Dan and his actions or lack there of.

ETA: Keenum hasn't been too thrilled with Dan the last few seasons with his lack of effort, fire and continued efforts to find a new job. It's been building since 2013 time frame. Strick wouldn't do anything about it and let Dan walk all over him.

BoomBoom
09-26-2016, 05:44 PM

exception is that a new AD may have a policy of not employing friends, brothers, and legacies that don't carry their weight. a lot of execs that rise to that level have such a policy. and if you do, you have to come in firing and clean house, or you won't be respected. ditto with any number of policies or management practices that may run counter to how Mullen has been doing business. so Mullen may be told a couple of assistants are gone, etc, accept it or quit.

yeah, it would be easier to just let the decision ride for a year. no one would blame a bad year next year on the new AD, nor any long-term damage. but then again, any AD worth a crap would recognize that working with Mullen is all or nothing, either he sees you as his underling, or gives you full respect and ass-kissing deference. no in between. and given such, as his boss you have to come in strong and impose your will from the beginning. i think Stricklin worked for Mullen, not the other way around, and the new AD will not make that mistake. i don't know if Mullen's ego will be able to handle it.

msbulldog
09-26-2016, 06:15 PM
exception is that a new AD may have a policy of not employing friends, brothers, and legacies that don't carry their weight. a lot of execs that rise to that level have such a policy. and if you do, you have to come in firing and clean house, or you won't be respected. ditto with any number of policies or management practices that may run counter to how Mullen has been doing business. so Mullen may be told a couple of assistants are gone, etc, accept it or quit.

yeah, it would be easier to just let the decision ride for a year. no one would blame a bad year next year on the new AD, nor any long-term damage. but then again, any AD worth a crap would recognize that working with Mullen is all or nothing, either he sees you as his underling, or gives you full respect and ass-kissing deference. no in between. and given such, as his boss you have to come in strong and impose your will from the beginning. i think Stricklin worked for Mullen, not the other way around, and the new AD will not make that mistake. i don't know if Mullen's ego will be able to handle it.

Very good post, makes a lot of sense. Rep given.

was21
09-26-2016, 06:49 PM
He wasn't going to be fired anyway

lamont
09-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Keenum is going to lose his shit when OM pounds us in November and we miss a bowl game. Strick was the middle man- without that guy- all bets are off. I always thought Mullen would be fired after the 2017 season- but now that Strick is gone- November is going to be interesting.

GTHOM
09-26-2016, 07:20 PM
I have no clue who the next AD should be or who it will be but...If we dont win 6 games with this schedule I think Dan could and should be gone. If we win 6 I think he stays. Im not happy with him in the slightest but Im behind him. We all should be till the season ends

maroonmania
09-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Keenum is going to lose his shit when OM pounds us in November and we miss a bowl game. Strick was the middle man- without that guy- all bets are off. I always thought Mullen would be fired after the 2017 season- but now that Strick is gone- November is going to be interesting.

The Bears are our worst possible type matchup this year with a high paced almost all passing offense. Given the game is in Oxford its hard to see that game going anyway but UNM skulldragging us around VH. I really dread that game. I also think the USA game will keep us out of a bowl because right now I don't see this team getting more than 5 wins.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Could be a 2008 Egg Bowl situation all over again.

Political Hack
09-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Could be a 2008 Egg Bowl situation all over again.

We'll be lucky if it's that close.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Mark Keenum is fed up with Dan and Strick was the buffer. Keenum stepped in this off season and put his foot down. Told Mullen no raise, no extension and neither going forward if things don't change. Things haven't changed. We finish 6 wins or less and Dan doesn't make the changes demanded, he gone. Keenum wanted to but couldn't afford last year. He's done with dans whoring and keeping dead weight on coaching staff. And he informed Scott he was tied to Dan and his actions or lack there of.

ETA: Keenum hasn't been too thrilled with Dan the last few seasons with his lack of effort, fire and continued efforts to find a new job. It's been building since 2013 time frame. Strick wouldn't do anything about it and let Dan walk all over him.

I've heard from pretty reliable sources that Keenum basically read Mullen the riot act after the Redmond situation, & I'm sure what the relationship has been since then. Keenum basically told him that if anything like that every happened again, Mullen would be fired.

Would be interesting to look at Mullen's recruiting from that day going forward to see if he had his nuts cut off

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2016, 09:26 AM
The Bears are our worst possible type matchup this year with a high paced almost all passing offense. Given the game is in Oxford its hard to see that game going anyway but UNM skulldragging us around VH. I really dread that game. I also think the USA game will keep us out of a bowl because right now I don't see this team getting more than 5 wins.

Their WRs are big, fast and physical. Their WRs went up and pulled down everything Kelley threw vs UGA. UGAs secondary isn't bad either.

In addition, our pass rush is so slow...Kelley will have all day to throw.

Barring some kind of injury or freak illness to their entire WR corp, it will be uglier than 2008.

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Well, one thing is for sure......regardless if Mullen last through this year and to December 2017, Florida will now be a real option for him when that job opens up again.

dawgday166
09-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Well, one thing is for sure......regardless if Mullen last through this year and to December 2017, Florida will now be a real option for him when that job opens up again.

He wouldn't work for McElwain. And McElwain is twice the HC Mullen is.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-27-2016, 09:47 AM
lol...I turned down free tickets to the Egg Bowl the other day. I am not watching that shit.

msstate7
09-27-2016, 09:58 AM
He wouldn't work for McElwain. And McElwain is twice the HC Mullen is.

And how did you come to the conclusion mcE is twice as good as Mullen

dawgday166
09-27-2016, 10:17 AM
And how did you come to the conclusion mcE is twice as good as Mullen

It's really just an opinion. We'll see over time and yes, I know it is harder here than in FL. I like the way McElwain handles himself and his program from what I've seen so far.

msstate7
09-27-2016, 10:18 AM
It's really just an opinion. We'll see over time and yes, I know it is harder here than in FL. I like the way McElwain handles himself and his program from what I've seen so far.

McE blew a 21 point lead at halftime Saturday

dawgday166
09-27-2016, 10:38 AM

I know. It surprised me too. That happens sometimes. Did you watch his press conference? I kinda liked the way he handled it. HE took responsibility.
I also liked how, down a QB, they showed up and battled Bama last year. No excuses. Got whipped but they fought em.

To add something here: My comparison of McElwain to Mullen isn't even in the ballpark to some comparisons on here of Bear might not survive long, or Devaney, or we'll be shouting for Howland's head. Those coaches have all won and won big for many years. Bear's 2 big down years happened after 25 years of coaching where he had won an SEC Championship at Ky (and probably would've won NC too if polls had come out after bowl games - he upset #1 Ok and legendary Bud Wilkinson in Sugar Bowl that year). Had won Southwest title at A&M. The 3 Natty's at Bama. Bear was only 56 - 57 during his down turn. Even today, he would survive for a good bit and at Bama too. Saban would too except for maybe the age factor some (don't want to repeat a Bobby Bowden case).

Every coach I've mentioned had/has a long history of not only at 1 school but several schools, including lower tier schools. Mullen went to #1 for 5 weeks and thinks that entitles him to one of the elite jobs. Every coach I mentioned also worked their way up to the elite job. They all won and won consistently and at a high level everywhere they went. SMH

StatesboroBlues
09-27-2016, 10:39 AM
not worth it....

Vandelaydawg
09-27-2016, 11:31 AM

One would think you would eventually accidentally stumble on something of substance, yet you continue to defy the odds. Here's to keeping your perfect streak in tact.

JDog13
09-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Your**

Really Clark?
09-27-2016, 11:53 AM
I know. It surprised me too. That happens sometimes. Did you watch his press conference? I kinda liked the way he handled it. HE took responsibility.
I also liked how, down a QB, they showed up and battled Bama last year. No excuses. Got whipped but they fought em.

To add something here: My comparison of McElwain to Mullen isn't even in the ballpark to some comparisons on here of Bear might not survive long, or Devaney, or we'll be shouting for Howland's head. Those coaches have all won and won big for many years. Bear's 2 big down years happened after 25 years of coaching where he had won an SEC Championship at Ky (and probably would've won NC too if polls had come out after bowl games - he upset #1 Ok and legendary Bud Wilkinson in Sugar Bowl that year). Had won Southwest title at A&M. The 3 Natty's at Bama. Bear was only 56 - 57 during his down turn. Even today, he would survive for a good bit and at Bama too. Saban would too except for maybe the age factor some (don't want to repeat a Bobby Bowden case).

Every coach I've mentioned had/has a long history of not only at 1 school but several schools, including lower tier schools. Mullen went to #1 for 5 weeks and thinks that entitles him to one of the elite jobs. Every coach I mentioned also worked their way up to the elite job. They all won and won consistently and at a high level everywhere they went. SMH

Just for an accurate comparison since you brought up Bear. In his 8th year of coaching he was at Kentucky. Two years removed from his best season to date at that time a 7th ranking in the final AP poll which I agree should have been higher but #1 might be a stretch as he did lose to 11-1 Tenn but had the better loss between the two (sound familiar), he went 5-4-2. With losses to Villanova and us who were 5-4 on the year. Before going to Bama he had one 10+ win season, 2 9 win seasons, and 2 8 win seasons in 12 years. His win percentage was .689 before Bama. Now I am not saying Mullen is anywhere close to Bear. History tells us he is not but don't tell me that many many great coaches, especially when they coached at historically average programs didn't have down years and bounced back.

Sacrifice
09-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Losing the EB again will be tough either way but If we come out and look like we did the last couple of years, completely unprepared, almost disinterested and with a horrible game plan that takes 2 1/2 quarters to adjust, I'm gonna lose it!

dawgday166
09-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Just for an accurate comparison since you brought up Bear. In his 8th year of coaching he was at Kentucky. Two years removed from his best season to date at that time a 7th ranking in the final AP poll (sound familiar), he went 5-4-2. With losses to Villanova and us who were 5-4 on the year. Before going to Bama he had one 10+ win season, 2 9 win seasons, and 2 8 win seasons in 12 years. His win percentage was .689 before Bama. Now I am not saying Mullen is anywhere close to Bear. History tells us he is not but don't tell me that many many great coaches, especially when they coached at historically average programs didn't have down years and bounced back.

Not quite. The season you're talking about is after he won the SEC, was ranked 7th (before the bowl games back then), and upset #1 Oklahoma AND Legendary HC Bud Wilkinson in the Sugar Bowl (he of 47 game winning streak fame). They went 11-1 that year including the Bowl game. And that's at Kentucky. What also seems to always get lost in the shuffle is that back then they played 10 or 11 game regular season schedules from year to year. So 10 wins isn't quite accurate either.

If I recall correctly, the times before when you referenced his down years those were in the late 60's at Bama.

HSVDawg
09-27-2016, 12:23 PM
I've heard from pretty reliable sources that Keenum basically read Mullen the riot act after the Redmond situation, & I'm sure what the relationship has been since then. Keenum basically told him that if anything like that every happened again, Mullen would be fired.

Would be interesting to look at Mullen's recruiting from that day going forward to see if he had his nuts cut off

If that's true then we are pretty much ****ed until Keenum is gone, and I have no faith in him making a hire that is best for the program. I've had grievances with Mullen, but he handled the Redmond situation about as well as he could have under the circumstances. Mirando was canned immediately, before the NCAA even got to campus to ask questions.

RougeDawg
09-27-2016, 12:23 PM
One would think you would eventually accidentally stumble on something of substance, yet you continue to defy the odds. Here's to keeping your perfect streak in tact.

What are you talking about? Keenum has been pissed at Dan for almost a handful of years. Strick and Dak bought Dan more time to correct his mistakes (stop looking for any job openings, recruiting and Hevesy). Tell me where those have changed to date? Keenum stepped in this offseason and said enough is enough. No raise, no exertion and will not get one until changes are made. If we continue to produce a shit show every other weekend Dan will be gone seasons end. If you knew what Dan told Mark to his face this off seaso, you'd be pissed that we hadn't already fired him. It was that f*cking bad.

So go take your ignorant asinine posts somewhere else where you might be somewhat relevant.

bluelightstar
09-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Yeah, it's not like he blew a 3-score halftime lead at home to a Sun Belt team**.

But seriously, barring 3 wins and a 30-point Egg Bowl loss, Mullen's not fired this year. But with a new AD coming in, there's something to be said for leaving for a "lesser" job or lesser pay if you're not sure you can produce a 7-win team next year.

Really Clark?
09-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Not quite. The season you're talking about is after he won the SEC, was ranked 7th (before the bowl games back then), and upset #1 Oklahoma AND Legendary HC Bud Wilkinson in the Sugar Bowl (he of 47 game winning streak fame). They went 11-1 that year including the Bowl game. And that's at Kentucky. What also seems to always get lost in the shuffle is that back then they played 10 or 11 game regular season schedules from year to year. So 10 wins isn't quite accurate either.

If I recall correctly, the times before when you referenced his down years those were in the late 60's at Bama.

No. The season I was talking about, his 8th year as a HC, was 2 years from that 1950 year when they won the Sugar Bowl. He went 5-4-2 in 1952. His 11 win year they played 12 games, his 9 win year at Kentucky they played 12 games, his 9 win year at A & M he played 9 and went 9-0-1 great year, and his 8 win year at A & M he played 11 games. It's why I also included his win percentage for those years. .689. ******* is .606. Also his 11-1 year they played only 2 ranked teams including the bowl game. He was 1-1.

And yes he again had two average years back to back years later at Bama. 6 wins in that time with their win record translates to 4 wins for us with our history.

dawgday166
09-27-2016, 12:47 PM
No. The season I was talking about, his 8th year as a HC, was 2 years from that 1950 year when they won the Sugar Bowl. He went 5-4-2 in 1952. His 11 win year they played 12 games, his 9 win year at Kentucky they played 12 games, his 9 win year at A & M he played 9 and went 9-0-1 great year, and his 8 win year at A & M he played 11 games. It's why I also included his win percentage for those years. .689. ******* is .606. Also his 11-1 year they played only 2 ranked teams including the bowl game. He was 1-1.

And yes he again had two average years back to back years later at Bama. 6 wins in that time with their win record translates to 4 wins for us with our history.

Ok. He still had a winning season tho. At Kentucky that is. A school that is a basketball school and whose entire football history is less than half of ours. Maybe not even a quarter.

At Bama you can equate it that way if you'd like. He admitted he had become complacent and distracted at that time. But he had a long history by then. He was ok for a few more years and would be today most likely. Some would be bitching I'm sure and some probably were back then too. In those late 60's seasons Bama wasn't integrated yet either.

And when he got his teams to the big stage early on ... he didn't always crap his pants either. No losing 3 of final 4 games by not even showing up. Or 4 of last 5 by not even showing up. That's what gets my ire up some. Not that we lose it's how we lose. See USA this year.

Really Clark?
09-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Ok. He still had a winning season tho. At Kentucky that is. A school that is a basketball school and whose entire football history is less than half of ours. Maybe not even a quarter.

At Bama you can equate it that way if you'd like. He admitted he had become complacent and distracted at that time. But he had a long history by then. He was ok for a few more years and would be today most likely. Some would be bitching I'm sure and some probably were back then too. In those late 60's seasons Bama wasn't integrated yet either.

And when he got his teams to the big stage early on ... he didn't always crap his pants either. No losing 3 of final 4 games by not even showing up. Or 4 of last 5 by not even showing up. That's what gets my ire up some. Not that we lose it's how we lose. See USA this year.

You think Kentucky's football history is half ours? Before Mullen our win percentages for the history were pretty close. And both are still less than .500. I want to say it was about 8% less win percentage before Mullen. It's Vandy, Kentucky, then us as the 3 historically worse teams and the only teams less than .500 win percentage.

And Bear did admit to his shortcomings during the late 60's. Years later. Still doesn't change his transition year at Kentucky two years after his biggest season at the time. How could he not capitalize on that big year and have a transition year? That would be the argument if it occurred in today's time. Schools and fans were more patient during that time or because of technology it's easier for people's frustrations to be heard. And that was the crux of what I posted about a few weeks ago that you are referencing.

ETA. In 1969 he did lose his last 3 of 4 games. Including 49-26 in the Iron Bowl.