PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Stricklin is gone to UF tomorrow...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 02:33 PM
https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/780488222765965316

Florida is expected to name Mississippi State's Scott Stricklin its AD at a presser Tuesday, a person with knowledge tells @USATODAYsports

mstatefan91
09-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Dan Wolken:
Florida is expected to name Mississippi State's Scott Stricklin its AD at a presser Tuesday, a person with knowledge tells @USATODAYsports

mstatefan91
09-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Just beat me to it. Feel free to merge my thread with this one mods.

mstatefan91
09-26-2016, 02:36 PM
So who are the candidates up for grabs?

Cary Hudson's little bro
09-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Hate to see this, but I don't blame him. Possible replacements? He's gonna take several guys with him, I'm sure.

Political Hack
09-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Good for him. Hell of a pay raise. Congrats Strick. Thank you for all you've done.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Hate to see this, but I don't blame him. Possible replacements? He's gonna take several guys with him, I'm sure.

I'm sure LT is available.***

starkvegasdawg
09-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Damn. Now Football Scoop can claim they were right about something for once.

confucius say
09-26-2016, 02:43 PM

I read on here that fl is requiring him to retain all senior staff. Not sure if true.

starkvegasdawg
09-26-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm sure LT is available.***

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--LoswFUlQ--/bx8bkliqjumvm4omhjn1.gif

DudyDawg
09-26-2016, 02:44 PM
First auburn at 11 and now this. What a day

Doc
09-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Wonder what the major coaches think of this.

Technetium
09-26-2016, 02:46 PM
I hear the Mad Hatter is looking for new opportunities...

rbdog82
09-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Good for him. Hell of a pay raise. Congrats Strick. Thank you for all you've done.

+1

SaintDawg
09-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Man... we can't have nothin' nice.

TNDawg35
09-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Man... we can't have nothin' nice.

Mistakes were made****

preachermatt83
09-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Pay the Ninja 1mil to come back!

MafiaDawg
09-26-2016, 02:55 PM
Big raise yada yada. It looks like dog shit when an alum leaves your school for the same job. I'm sure we offered up to a million.

TheRef
09-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Gonna hate to see him go, but hopefully we can pull in someone who knows what they're doing to replace him. Scott elevated the athletic department and our standing nationwide. It will be interesting to see who we can pull in the middle of football season.

Joe Schmedlap
09-26-2016, 02:58 PM
I bet we didn't offer a million.

On the positive side, in future SEC meetings, maybe we will have two athletic directors in our camp.

maroonmania
09-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Big raise yada yada. It looks like dog shit when an alum leaves your school for the same job. I'm sure we offered up to a million.

THIS^^^

Sucks to lose Scott but the appearance makes us look like a real second rate school when a school in the same league takes one of your own.

ScottH
09-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Yes it's official.

Good luck Scott and thanks for everything.

Seven names of note from campus as of yesterday evening:
1. Jason Cook A&M
2. Kevin Miller Louisville
3. John Wicker Ga Tech
4. John Cohen MSU
5. Joe Dean, Bham Southern
6. Ian McGraw, Former Baylor
7. Brian Wickstrom (sp?), ULM

mstatefan91
09-26-2016, 03:05 PM
THIS^^^

Sucks to lose Scott but the appearance makes us look like a real second rate school when a school in the same league takes one of your own.

It's true. Football is the money maker. Football is on a down trend, and Stricklin would not have been able to fire Mullen this season. It would have taken another bad season to get him gone (not saying this is going to happen) and then you are scrambling to find a coach that can win and is willing to move to Starkville with his family.

Granted, I'm saying this with no knowledge of whether Scott felt like Mullen needed to go or not. He probably was getting sick of Mullen shopping his name every season or 2 to get a pay raise.

lefty96
09-26-2016, 03:06 PM
THIS^^^

I certainly agree w/ the perception but budget and resource wise, no one would say we are in the same league as Florida at all. Does look like crap though.

drunkernhelldawg
09-26-2016, 03:09 PM
New blood is a new opportunity. Good luck to him, but better luck to us.

ScoobaDawg
09-26-2016, 03:09 PM

It's a better job..Alumni or not.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Good Riddance!!

ScoobaDawg
09-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Yes it's official.

1. Jason Cook A&M
3. John Wicker Ga Tech
4. John Cohen MSU

I can't take a list with Cohen on it seriously. That wouldn't ever happen.

DownwardDawg
09-26-2016, 03:11 PM
I'm going to Walmart and buying me a damn Bama shirt.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Sorry, but that's just homer BS. Same title but not the same job for many reasons.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2016, 03:14 PM
I can't take a list with Cohen on it seriously. That wouldn't ever happen.

Strike the guy from Baylor- I would think he is radioactive right now.

Gutter Cobreh
09-26-2016, 03:14 PM
THIS^^^

I would be willing to bet you could name all the SEC Head Football coaches versus all the ADs at those respective schools.

If true, then tell me which position holds more credibility within the general public for an institution???

After reports leaked of the financial terms, people would have laughed at him for not taking the job. You don't turn down that kind of money and this doesn't reflect poorly on our institution or program.

fader2103
09-26-2016, 03:18 PM
I agree call the Ninja offer 1Mil and make him say no.

Political Hack
09-26-2016, 03:23 PM
I agree call the Ninja offer 1Mil and make him say no.

He turned down 1.5M at Florida. Why the hell would he come to Starkville for a million?

Thick
HUD for AD!!!****

Liverpooldawg
Judging by a lot of posts in this board lately this is a needed reminder to some of a hard truth. We do have more money than we have ever had and nationally we are more competitive that way, but in the SEC our relative postion in the money standings is no different than it had always been. It sucks but it is what it is. We live in a very wealthy neighborhood athletically. All our recent improvements have got us in the game for the first time ever. Getting to the top is going to take a lot longer and a lot more money.

Bothrops
09-26-2016, 03:26 PM
We knew this would happen, I wonder if we countered the offer?? Nah..guess not. We are probably ****ed now.

bulldogcountry1
09-26-2016, 03:27 PM
What is the Ninja making now?

patdyeisstilldrunk
09-26-2016, 03:29 PM
From Hattiesburg and currently Sr. Associate AD at GA Tech. Formerly at SDSU and Washington State.

Yes it's official.

1. Jason Cook A&M
3. John Wicker Ga Tech
4. John Cohen MSU

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Stepping stone athletic program.

We can't accomplish big things with how we lose people

vv83
09-26-2016, 03:30 PM
I think Strick was a great AD and loved what he did for the school. That being said our success starts at the top and trickles down from there. If the cigar boys want to make it happen, I think this is a great opportunity to get some money together and make waves

fader2103
09-26-2016, 03:32 PM
What is the Ninja making now?
He is scheduled to make 750,000 by 2019 + incentives

Dawg61
09-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Adidas please hire us a good one

Cloak
09-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Today's a Holloway up the middle kind of day for MSU football..

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 03:38 PM
I guess he hung around long enough to get that free trip to Boston in....

MSUDawg99
09-26-2016, 03:38 PM
We knew this would happen, I wonder if we countered the offer?? Nah..guess not. We are probably ****ed now.

I feel sure we countered the offer. We just couldn't match what they were going to pay him. Not many could.

yjnkdawg
09-26-2016, 03:42 PM
THIS^^^

He hasn't abandoned or disowned MSU. It's a business decision and FL wanted him bad enough to pay him way above market value. I don't see where this shows that we are a second rate school. Money is not an issue for FL.

Bothrops
09-26-2016, 03:45 PM
True Maroon!!!!!!!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Yes it's official.

1. Jason Cook A&M
3. John Wicker Ga Tech
4. John Cohen MSU

Given our recent history of hires, I'm going to bet on a name that hasn't been mentioned.

Beaver
09-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Good for Scott. He's basically reached the pinnacle of his profession. Even though he's left, he'll still more a Bulldog than most.

sleepy dawg
09-26-2016, 03:52 PM

Like having the 3nd longest tenured head coach in Football, and probably one of the longest in baseball? It seems like we (fans) try to run off those who don't leave within 3 years of hiring them and get pissed about those that do leave within that time frame.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 03:53 PM
True Maroon!!!!!!!

I just want to know if it's still OUR state?

TNDawg35
09-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Given our recent history of hires, I'm going to bet on a name that hasn't been mentioned.

Hevesy for AD****

I should be banned for just thinking a joke like that...****

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Remember when everyone considered MSU a career graveyard and people wished we would be a stepping stone? :)

Bothrops
09-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Good for Scott. He's basically reached the pinnacle of his profession. Even though he's left, he'll still more a Bulldog than most.

He's so much bulldog that he'll be rooting against us when we play the orange and blue. Is he still more bulldog than most?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 04:04 PM
He's so much bulldog that he'll be rooting against us when we play the orange and blue. Is he still more bulldog than most?

And Michael White is his Bball coach....

DownwardDawg
09-26-2016, 04:08 PM

He's not a Bulldog at all at this point. For $1.4 mil a year, he better be all Gata

Maroonthirteen
09-26-2016, 04:13 PM

Yeah, I call BULL hockey on that too. I'll still be around when we get skull drug all over the field in November. He'll be in jorts house hunting in Gainesville.

I'll take my comments back if his name is in the top levels of the Bulldog Club while he is AD there.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 04:15 PM
I have 2 words why I wouldn't take the UF job: Kevin O'Sullivan....f that guy!

Commercecomet24
09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Like having the 3nd longest tenured head coach in Football, and probably one of the longest in baseball? It seems like we (fans) try to run off those who don't leave within 3 years of hiring them and get pissed about those that do leave within that time frame.

Man, you just spoke a whole bunch of TRUTH!

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
He is taking a job that will pay him Top 3 salary in the country as AD at an elite school. Byrne graduated from AZ State but is AZ AD. Your allegiance to where you graduated college goes out the window when talking about that kind of money and professional step up.

RocketDawg
09-26-2016, 04:22 PM
He is scheduled to make 750,000 by 2019 + incentives

We could match and beat that if we wanted to, and wanted him back.

Dawgface
09-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Remember when everyone considered MSU a career graveyard and people wished we would be a stepping stone? :)

Ha ha...so true.

oldwave
09-26-2016, 04:43 PM

I tend to believe this. He was AD of the year I believe and FLA thinks he is worth the money. My question is why don't we want him back?

bobcat91
09-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Stricklin wasn't a very good Ad. He was a good fundraiser and marketing guy. Let me expound.

He hired Jenny Hazlewood---fired.
He hired Rick Ray---fired.
He hired Vann----very mediocre hire.
He hired Vic--good hire. was given his name by the ninja.
He waned Ray to stay another year--as overruled by the President, cigar boys and Adidas.
We traveled to UMASS
We are traveling to La Tech

I could go on and on, but he was here due to being Bailey's son in law and wont get to make hires and decisions like that and stay in Gainesville.

We offered him $1 million to stay and he is leaving. There is no loyalty and this isn't a money issue. Is that asshole true maroon? GTFO

LC Dawg
09-26-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't quite get all the Byrne love. I realize he did a good job at State but some act as though he is some athletic director god. I think everyone was so tired of Templeton that Byrne developed some kind of mystique because he handled things so differently than Templeton. I did enjoy the fact that Byrne socialized with more than just the big money guys and Templeton didn't but Templeton was just a dick. I realize Byrne is well respected but has he done a lot at Arizona? I admittedly don't know much about it but I do know he hired Rich Rod and that's not been anything to really hang your hat on. I'm pretty sure he didn't hire Sean Miller but I'm sure he deserves some credit for the success of their basketball program.
I agree that Byrne did a good job here but I would rather see us go after someone other than the last athletic director that left us. It doesn't look great with an alum leaving us and if we go after his predecessor and he turns us down it will not be a good look. There's got to be some good candidates out there who have never been on our payroll. Just my opinion.

Cooterpoot
09-26-2016, 04:46 PM

No we couldn't.

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Stricklin wasn't a very good Ad. He was a good fundraiser and marketing guy. Let me expound.

He waned Ray to stay another year--as overruled by the President, cigar boys and Adidas.
We traveled to UMASS

I could go on and on, but he was here due to being Bailey's son in law and wont get to make hires and decisions like that and stay in Gainesville.

We offered him $1 million to stay and he is leaving. There is no loyalty and this isn't a money issue. Is that asshole true maroon? GTFO

Tulane screwed us is why we had to go to UMASS. LSU is traveling to Rice, Missouri is traveling to UConn, Wyoming, Middle Tenn St, Memphis and Miami (OH), Kentucky is going to USM and Eastern MI, Tenn has agreed to eventually go to UConn, USCe is going to East Carolina, Vandy just played at WKU, UNM is going to Tulane

TheRef
09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Let me just go point by point with you, bobcat.

He hired Jenny Hazlewood---fired. Correct, but he also hired her replacement David McFatrich who the players love. He has that team playing well
He hired Rick Ray---fired. Then proceeded to hire Ben Howland, who I believe is a good hire
He hired Vann----very mediocre hire. Right...mediocre hire that Alabama wanted to take over their program. You 17'n serious on this?
He hired Vic--good hire. was given his name by the ninja. May have been given the name by Byrne, but he had to negotiate and get him over here. He has also negotiated to keep Vic here when he could've gone elsewhere
We traveled to UMASS Blame that on Tulane for backing out and Stricklin having to try and find a replacement game on EXTREMELY short notice
We are traveling to La Tech Are you seriously going to complain if we go to any other school? It happens, deal with it.

bobcat91
09-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Let me just go point by point with you, bobcat.

He hired Jenny Hazlewood---fired. Correct, but he also hired her replacement David McFatrich who the players love. He has that team playing well
He hired Rick Ray---fired. Then proceeded to hire Ben Howland, who I believe is a good hire
He hired Vann----very mediocre hire. Right...mediocre hire that Alabama wanted to take over their program. You 17'n serious on this?
He hired Vic--good hire. was given his name by the ninja. May have been given the name by Byrne, but he had to negotiate and get him over here. He has also negotiated to keep Vic here when he could've gone elsewhere
We traveled to UMASS Blame that on Tulane for backing out and Stricklin having to try and find a replacement game on EXTREMELY short notice
We are traveling to La Tech Are you seriously going to complain if we go to any other school? It happens, deal with it.
The fact that Howland was forced on him and he fought for Ray tells me you do nothing but read headlines. Vann sucks. Period. She has won nothing. Outside of dropping the ball on getting the baseball stadium going and ensuring that we have gold shoes and hash tags, he is just splendid.

bobcat91
09-26-2016, 05:25 PM
And yes, going to a Sunbelt school to play is humiliating. Don't care who else does it. Buy a home game.

drunkernhelldawg
09-26-2016, 05:26 PM
I tend to believe this. He was AD of the year I believe and FLA thinks he is worth the money. My question is why don't we want him back?

We could match it. We could also be better off for letting him go.

ScoobaDawg
09-26-2016, 05:34 PM

He was talking about Byrne. He will be earning 750. yes we could match that. No we can't match Arizona being his home state.

Scott, we cant match what UF has offered and offers as a program.

Yes we would take either back. But it's not happening.

Spiderman
09-26-2016, 05:43 PM

Screw that... He's a State guy from Ms, married to a State girl from Starkville who's dad is probably the most honored athlete, and ambassador, we ever had and considered "Mr. Mississippi State" now a days. He was offered a new deal.

He just told the SEC that Mississippi State is 2nd class and he could never be great here.

If everywhere I used the word State and Starkville you substituted Ole Miss and Oxford this would never have happened.

**** him and **** us.

IMissJack
09-26-2016, 05:51 PM

Certainly things like Strick leaving perpetuate this thought. I will say this, Strick parlayed the AD of the year award into a big payday!

EAVdog
09-26-2016, 05:57 PM
Sayonara... I'm not too upset. But I have my own reasons.

MarketingBully
09-26-2016, 06:06 PM
If we offered him $1 million a year and he still bolted, screw him. $1 million a year in Starkville is a hell of a lot of money and that would still keep him in the top 10 highest paid ADs in the country. Florida was desperate which is why they threw $1.5 mil at him. He was their 4th or 5th pick. A lot of others turned them down because Foley is still going to be calling the shots.

maroonmania
09-26-2016, 07:44 PM
He hasn't abandoned or disowned MSU. It's a business decision and FL wanted him bad enough to pay him way above market value. I don't see where this shows that we are a second rate school. Money is not an issue for FL.

I guess I am surprised that we didn't offer him enough to get him to stay. I would think his love for his university would have trumped a few extra 100K at some point. If you can make a million/yr (and we may not have offered that) or so in Starkville then seriously how much more do you need to go run another program in the same conference. I view this much worse than Mullen whoring himself out for money and seeking another HC job. Mullen has ZERO connection to MSU and really has no built in loyalty while Stricklin is home grown and an alumnus so you would think he would certainly have more of a reason to want to stay.

Maroonthirteen
09-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Screw that... He's a State guy from Ms, married to a State girl from Starkville who's dad is probably the most honored athlete, and ambassador, we ever had and considered "Mr. Mississippi State" now a days. He was offered a new deal.

He just told the SEC that Mississippi State is 2nd class and he could never be great here.

If everywhere I used the word State and Starkville you substituted Ole Miss and Oxford this would never have happened.

**** him and **** us.

THIS!!!!!!

Also, he just sent the message to any student, prospective athlete, fan....if you can improve your personal situation, do it. Being a part of something bigger than yourself, building up your home community....means nothing.

If you are a graduating student and get a job offer in Nashville and Tupelo...go to Nashville and be a Vol fan. Never look back.....go to Huntsville be a Bama fan. New Orleans...be a Tiger. Never look back and enjoy yourself.

Why should anyone be in Starkville Saturday if they could spend the same time and money in Tuscaloosa watching a better product.

That's the message this move sends to me.

maroonmania
09-26-2016, 07:59 PM
THIS!!!!!!

Also, he just sent the message to any student, prospective athlete, fan....if you can improve your personal situation, do it. Being a part of something bigger than yourself, building up your home community....means nothing.

If you are a graduating student and get a job offer in Nashville and Tupelo...go to Nashville and be a Vol fan. Never look back.....go to Huntsville be a Bama fan. New Orleans...be a Tiger. Never look back and enjoy yourself.

Why should anyone be in Starkville Saturday if they could spend the same time and money in Tuscaloosa watching a better product.

That's the message this move sends to me.

I agree, Stricklin now exemplifies everything that holds us back as a university. Like I said, this hurts MUCH worse than Mullen (a Northeasterner) whoring himself out for another job. For Mullen, we are nothing more than a job, and that is really all we should expect to be to him. Apparently, even though Stricklin is supposed to be truly one of us, we are also nothing more than a job to him as well.

RocketDawg
09-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Tulane screwed us is why we had to go to UMASS. LSU is traveling to Rice, Missouri is traveling to UConn, Wyoming, Middle Tenn St, Memphis and Miami (OH), Kentucky is going to USM and Eastern MI, Tenn has agreed to eventually go to UConn, USCe is going to East Carolina, Vandy just played at WKU, UNM is going to Tulane

Not quite as extreme as the ones you mentioned, but Louisville was at Marshall last night.

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 08:11 PM

We traveled to UMASS

Strong post. Wetherbee is the marketing guru.

Maroonthirteen
09-26-2016, 08:15 PM
I agree, Stricklin now exemplifies everything that holds us back as a university. Like I said, this hurts MUCH worse than Mullen (a Northeasterner) whoring himself out for another job. For Mullen, we are nothing more than a job, and that is really all we should expect to be to him. Apparently, even though Stricklin is supposed to be truly one of us, we are also nothing more than a job to him as well.

Exactly.

Bass Chaser
09-26-2016, 09:00 PM
How many of you posting live in Starkville? Town you grew up in? Mississippi?

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2016, 09:12 PM
In all honesty..............he is an athletic director. It ain't the end of the world. YAWN. Let's go get another one.

IMissJack
09-26-2016, 09:14 PM

How many would move back if they could make 80% of what they make elsewhere? I know I would. The quality of life of people making good money in S'ville is pretty good. At least for the one's I know.

maroonmania
09-26-2016, 09:24 PM

Apples and Oranges. If someone offered me over 500K/yr for a job in either my hometown OR Starkville I would be there. Bottom line though is, when you have school related athletics job, most people would prefer to do that job at the school they went to especially if they have family roots in the surrounding area. In fact, to me, it would mean a lot more to me to make my alma mater successful than to just make some other random school successful because they are willing to pay me more. There would just be a lot more personal satisfaction in that. Heck, why do you think Byrne chose not to double his salary? And like has been said, Stricklin left for a bigger athletic budget program but one in the SAME conference. Its not like he went from his alma mater in the FCS to go to an FBS school or something.

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Apples and Oranges. If someone offered me over 500K/yr for a job in either my hometown OR Starkville I would be there. Bottom line though is, when you have school related athletics job, most people would prefer to do that job at the school they went to especially if they have family roots in the surrounding area. In fact, to me, it would mean a lot more to me to make my alma mater successful than to just make some other random school successful because they are willing to pay me more. There would just be a lot more personal satisfaction in that. Heck, why do you think Byrne chose not to double his salary? And like has been said, Stricklin left for a bigger athletic budget program but one in the SAME conference. Its not like he went from his alma mater in the FCS to go to an FBS school or something.

Byrne is not the AD for his alma mater. He went to AZ State and is AD for their instate rival

IMissJack
09-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Byrne is not the AD for his alma mater. He went to AZ State and is AD for their instate rival

Has ASU ever offered Byrne?

DancingRabbit
09-26-2016, 09:50 PM

Rep given. Scott routinely got trashed here by message board super heroes. Will Keenum and Bailey be going with him to Florida?

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Has ASU ever offered Byrne?

Don't know but they could have as they just replaced their AD in 2014.

ETA. Forgot they also replaced the AD in 2012. Had to get the new AD in 2014 after Patterson bolted for Texas after 18 months on the job. So that was 2 times they could have reached out to Byrne who is considered on of the best young AD's in the country.

anubus
09-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Hevesy for AD****

I should be banned for just thinking a joke like that...****

no my friend banning is too light.You must pay the ultimate price for your blasphemy......spending a week with the clarion ledger's poor mans Jonah hill.......kellenberger and listen to his sick rebel bear rhetoric

anubus
09-26-2016, 10:08 PM
sometimes change creates new beginnings.....(an ad who will stop Mullen's post season job sniffings) .Id like to see the Kang himself as ad but realistically I'm sure we'll get someone capable......Hail State!!!!

maroonmania
09-27-2016, 09:30 AM

OK, not sure how that connects with my post other than to say that Byrne did essentially "go home" given his roots are in Arizona. But, Byrne had no real connection to us just like Mullen, so it certainly wasn't all that surprising that he left.

Really Clark?
09-27-2016, 09:43 AM
OK, not sure how that connects with my post other than to say that Byrne did essentially "go home" given his roots are in Arizona. But, Byrne had no real connection to us just like Mullen, so it certainly wasn't all that surprising that he left.

Because you were talking about an AD's alma mater and transitioned into Byrne and why he didn't take double salary. Reread your post, nothing in it about it being the state he graduated college from. You were talking alma maters

ETA. He went to college there but graduated from HS in Oregon. His wife is from Oregon as well. That would be their roots

maroonmania
09-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Because you were talking about an AD's alma mater and transitioned into Byrne and why he didn't take double salary. Reread your post, nothing in it about it being the state he graduated college from. You were talking alma maters

Probably shouldn't have put the Byrne statement there as I was aware that while AZ is his home area, AZ is not his alma mater but that doesn't have anything to do with the point of the post other than to say Byrne wouldn't even leave his home area working at his cross state rival school to go take the FL job, much less his alma mater. That just makes it worse. But we are just lil' ol' MSU so I guess we shouldn't ever expect an alumnus to stay with us if they can get some extra coin somewhere else. Guess I would like to know what Keenum offered him to stay. If we wouldn't up the 500K at all then it would be more understandable why he left.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2016, 09:56 AM

Byrne is an ASU grad. Are you going home to Ole Miss?

rbdog82
09-27-2016, 10:12 AM
I wonder if it's possible that UF didn't have as much interest in Byrne as the national media would lead us to believe. Of course UA would spin the story that Byrne turned down UF to lead UA to the promised land, but I'm thinking there may be more to it than that.

gtowndawg
09-27-2016, 10:16 AM
In all honesty..............he is an athletic director. It ain't the end of the world. YAWN. Let's go get another one.

I don't agree with you much, but you nailed this one. We will be fine. I got 99 problems and this ain't one.

maroonmania
09-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Byrne is an ASU grad. Are you going home to Ole Miss?

Byrne obviously was interested to get back to Arizona where he has family connections (as I stated was a draw for most folks). Not everyone loathes their cross state rival like we do UNM.

RougeDawg
09-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I feel sure we countered the offer. We just couldn't match what they were going to pay him. Not many could.

After Dans last two offseasons and SS's lack of backbone with Dan, Keenum stepped in and gave some ultimatums. Scott was tied to Dan and Dan was/isn't changing any time soon. SS was getting out at the first
Chance available to save his career because Dan was close to ranking it. When announce it was a no brainier to me. Scott was offered an out and opportunity to cut the albatross from around his neck. I'm sorry that some of tournedos to believe that Keenum is fed up with certain people within our football program and has told them to change or they'll be gone.

RougeDawg
09-27-2016, 12:07 PM

After Dans last two offseasons and SS's lack of backbone with Dan, Keenum stepped in and gave some ultimatums. Scott was tied to Dan and Dan was/isn't changing any time soon. SS was getting out at the first
Chance available to save his career because Dan was close to tanking it. When announce it was a no brainier to me. Scott was offered an out and opportunity to cut the albatross from around his neck. I'm sorry that some of don't want to believe that Keenum is fed up with certain people within our football program and has told them to change or they'll be gone.