PDA

View Full Version : It's coaching malpractice that Dear is not

cheewgumm
09-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Our tailback.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Our tailback.

I think from seeing him run in space in games that he might be potentially the best RB we have. You can take that for what it's worth.

cheewgumm
09-26-2016, 08:40 AM
He is for sure . It's silly that we even have this discussion.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Totally Ridiculous that he's not our RB!!

shoeless joe
09-26-2016, 10:20 AM
Just because he's built and runs like jrob doesn't mean he needs to be at tailback. Im not saying he'd be bad at that position but I've seen nothing to think he'd be the best. In fact there's several folks gettin limited to no snaps that I think would be better than what we've seen.

Cooterpoot
09-26-2016, 10:26 AM
None of you have seen him play RB at State. You have no idea if he's the best or not. He could be the best in the world, but nobody knows. So don't even pretend like you do. Now, with that said, Mullen needs to try something, anything to jumpstart the running game because it sucks monkey balls.

HSVDawg
09-26-2016, 10:37 AM
None of you have seen him play RB at State. You have no idea if he's the best or not. He could be the best in the world, but nobody knows. So don't even pretend like you do. Now, with that said, Mullen needs to try something, anything to jumpstart the running game because it sucks monkey balls.

One thing is for sure is that he won't / can't consistently get open when being covered by SEC cornerbacks. And he doesn't have the size to win 50/50 balls against those same players. There are words for players who require a mismatch against a safety or OLB in order to get open and get receptions. They are called tight ends and running backs.

Whether or not he is our best RB is up for debate. But he certainly needs reps there as opposed to WR. Keeping him at WR at doing a disservice to two different positions on the offense.

Sacrifice
09-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I have seen him in the back field and take a hand off. He's pretty damn impressive.

Steakonastick
09-26-2016, 10:54 AM
The kid does not want to play running back. The same as Shumpert did not want to play defense. Thats the main reason why both of them came to state.

Jacksondevildog
09-26-2016, 11:00 AM
I have said this for a while, but his biggest issue is durability and staying healthy. He battled injuries his entire career at Murrah. Also, rumor is he doesn't want to play RB. It's kind of hard to force someone to play something that has made them injury plagued, especially if their heart isn't in it. It's not like it's your son and you make him go clean his room because you are his dad. Im saying that because someone on here will say, "well you do what your coach wants you do to". Sometimes, it just doesn't work that way in 2016.

HSVDawg
09-26-2016, 11:03 AM
The kid does not want to play running back. The same as Shumpert did not want to play defense. Thats the main reason why both of them came to state.

Well if that's the case, I guess he's not all that interested in making millions playing professional football. He potentially has that ability as a RB. No chance there at all as a WR. You can't fix stupid, but I'm still not sure thats what is happening. Still think it is another one of Mullen's pet projects that he is hanging on to for far too long.

MadDawg
09-26-2016, 11:04 AM

I thought everyone knew this.

Jarius
09-26-2016, 11:11 AM

He needs to be told by our head coach that makes over 4 million dollars a year that he is needed at tailback and that is where he is going to play if he wants to be a part of this team. He was given a legit shot at being a receiver but he is a tailback. Anyone with common sense knows he is a tailback. I may want to be a left tackle but I'm 5'10" and 185 so I can't be a tackle. It doesn't matter how bad I want to be.

cheewgumm
09-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Well if that is accurate that he doesn't want to, then i agree he shouldn't.

Still it's a huge waste IMO.

Cary Hudson's little bro
09-26-2016, 11:41 AM
If he's "great in space" then you don't want him taking zone-read handoffs behind our gawd-awful OL. You would want to throw it to him "in space" and hope he breaks one.

Sacrifice
09-26-2016, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking Malik knows his best shot to play this year is at receiver. If he switched to RB this season, he probably wouldn't get on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make a move at the end of the season.

DudyDawg
09-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Why does anyone think he would be our best back? Honestly, why do people think that about someone who has never played it for us, besides his build? I've never seen him play it

Sacrifice
09-26-2016, 12:15 PM
Why does anyone think he would be our best back? Honestly, why do people think that about someone who has never played it for us, besides his build? I've never seen him play it

Your right, nobody really knows how he would ultimately do at RB full time, he only had 11 carries last season but one of those carries was a 52 yard TD run against Texas A&M and it came on a straight hand off. Longest run of the season.

GTHOM
09-26-2016, 12:24 PM
Our tailback.

Dear doesnt want to play RB. He didnt want to in high school he wont do it here. Im not happy with Dan at all but cant blame Mullen if the kid just wont do it

JoseBrown
09-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Sometimes it is a coaches job to convince a kid to play a different position. Happens all the time. Some kids are easier to persuade than others, but that just makes you work harder on the others. Just because a kid may say he doesn't want to, doesn't mean you just say ok and move on, if you think it would be good for the team. If he doesn't move to RB, then either Dan and Knox don't think it's a good idea or they haven't figured out how to persuade him to do it.

RiverCityDawg
09-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Dear doesnt want to play RB. He didnt want to in high school he wont do it here. Im not happy with Dan at all but cant blame Mullen if the kid just wont do it

Interesting. I don't think a lot of people have heard this. Is it as simple as he doesn't like the position or does he think he's better as a receiver?

He has exactly 0% chance of being a receiver in the NFL. Maybe he's okay with that and doesn't have pro aspirations, which is fine. But most guys want to be put in the best possible position to make it professionally. He might not have a chance as a RB either, but at least he has the size, speed and tackle-breaking ability to have a chance if he was willing to work on the other aspects.

maroonmania
09-26-2016, 01:52 PM

Which is very surprising given that his absolute best shot at making it at the next level is RB. He is not built like any receiver I have seen in the NFL.

fishwater99
09-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Well if that's the case, I guess he's not all that interested in making millions playing professional football. He potentially has that ability as a RB. No chance there at all as a WR. You can't fix stupid, but I'm still not sure thats what is happening. Still think it is another one of Mullen's pet projects that he is hanging on to for far too long.

This is so true.

Steakonastick
09-26-2016, 02:25 PM
He does not like contact.