PDA

View Full Version : Can MSU afford top tier football assistants?

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Not being snarky, it just seems like some people on here are more attuned with MSU's finances. We seem to be cheap with a lot of the football staff aside from HC.

I know we are not anywhere in say Alabamas stratosphere money wise, but do we have the money available to go out and get someone? Maybe not have a revolving door at DC or get a top OL coach.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Not being snarky, it just seems like some people on here are more attuned with MSU's finances. We seem to be cheap with a lot of the football staff aside from HC.

I know we are not anywhere in say Alabamas stratosphere money wise, but do we have the money available to go out and get someone? Maybe not have a revolving door at DC or get a top OL coach.

I think we do have the money, but so long as you aknowlege that Alabama, Florida, etc have more money than it just becomes a bidding war that we can't win and all we do is escalate prices.

For example: let's say MSU has $100 and Florida has $300, and Geoff Collins is our D coordinator but Florida wants him. Due to this, MSU offers Collins $2 and Florida offers $3. To Counter, MSU offers $5 out of our $100 and Florida laughs and offers $7. Well, at this point, if your MSU, what do you do? It's not that you can't offer $10, but rather what's the point? Additionally, by offering $10, you'll artificially inflate coordinator salaries and now have to raise more money to pay for coaches that you wouldn't have otherwise had to raise.

The structure of college football sucks. It's that simple. The structure allows about 5 programs to have a monopoly on winning unless they are run by incompetence. And, even if they are run by incompetence and you are run well, they'll just come take your coaches and administrators and right their ship while leaving you in a bind.

Again, the structure of the sport sucks and, without blatantly cheating, there is no way to crack the monopoly that was set up in the 60s and 70s

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Good point. I agree with much of what you say.

I guess I could argue that the point is to have a good coach. I know we can't do it across the board but it would be nice to go out there and splurge on someone. A top tier DC can turn things around. Chavis is going to save Sumlins job.

gravedigger
09-25-2016, 09:08 PM

I think we do, but i dont think just anyone can work for mullen and he has to have some say in his staff.

Homedawg
09-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Collins left for equal pay. It's a better job. Not hard to understand. Diaz left for a better job at Texas and more money. Better job. Diaz left for Miami, that's his home. Money wouldn't solve any of our dc problems thus far.

Bass Chaser
09-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Collins got a $300K raise this year.

I seen it dawg
09-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Diaz left in what was a package deal for him and Mullen....until Richts people swooped in

AROB44
09-26-2016, 05:28 AM
Diaz left in what was a package deal for him and Mullen....until Richts people swooped in

You really believe this?

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 06:29 AM
You really believe this?

Sure

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2016, 08:09 AM

I believe Richt hired Diaz after he got there. I don't really think the hired Diaz first and hired Richt as the afterthought. Unreal

DawgPoundtheRock
09-26-2016, 08:14 AM

You forgot the *****, right? But that's funny. Made me laugh.

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 02:10 PM
I believe Richt hired Diaz after he got there. I don't really think the hired Diaz first and hired Richt as the afterthought. Unreal

Unreal.....hey where did you go on that whole MSU history of firing coaches thread from a few days ago...

basedog
09-26-2016, 02:59 PM
You really believe this?

Remember Pops, it's a message board and anything can be posted.