PDA

View Full Version : Why we WILL contend in the next 2 years.... Offense

Coach007
09-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Let's first just go with our starters. http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/mississippi-state/91211

Offense: WRs

WR-X Gray, Donald JR/TR/1

WR-H Ross, Fred SR/3

WR-Z Myles, Gabe JR/2

1 SR will be gone, and that's all we lose. The back ups (more rotation guys) are all SO and Fr. Jackson, Dear, Mixon, and Thomas.

We have a 4 star that is enrolled... 6'5" 192. Todd. We have another that you have seen out there, Couch...6'5 217.

This will be the deepest we have ever had at this position. Most likely the largest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEs:

Johnson, Justin SO/1
Green, Farrod RS FR
Thomas, Jordan JR/TR

No losses there. We only add talent. 1 is a Juco so depth won't be an Issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RBs:

Holloway, Brandon SR/3
Shumpert, Ashton SR/3
Williams, Aeris RS SO

We lose 2 of the most complained about backs. When we look at who is in line waiting, You have Lee, Gibson, and Murphy. Not a single one under 205. Hill is committed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QB

Not one single QB will be gone. We will add a 4 star Dual QB.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OL:

LT Jenkins, Elgton RS SO/1 Back up- Rankin, Martinas RS JR/TR
LG Desper, Devon SR2 Back up- Story, Michael RS FR

OC Clayborn, Jamaal SR/2 Back up- Johnson, Jocquell SR

RG Calhoun, Deion RS SO/1 Back up- Williams, Darryl RS FR
RG Senior, Justin SR/3 Back up-Moon, Harrison RS FR

We lose 3. We also added 3 last year and the smallest is 320 pounds.

This recruiting class has 2 OLmen from Juco and the smallest is.... 320. If you look at the line this year and in the past, we have been around 290 to 300-10 We seem to be moving to bigger guys to 310-330s

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

The offense will be notably better next year. Our Running backs will bigger and improved as a unit. Not only that, the size of the line will be bigger and over all more talented. Over all, Our Wrs and TE will improve throughout this season, and it's not like they are bad. We can get into stats if we need to. Things like Rushing last year (100th in the nation) vs this year (T-33 in the nation). Passing is just the opposite. So what does that tell us? We have a QB who is completing 60% with a lot of dropped passes. Our Passing game was 19th in the nation last year, and 63rd this year.

What we need to be watching are those WRs and Fitz. The slight timing that is costing us roughly 6-8% of our passing game right now. It's costing us drives that if completed, sustains drives.. adds to the defense due to rest.

Now take what you are looking at above and move to 2018! Fitz, a Sr.... look at what will be surrounding him! A very Veteran team that's going to be loaded.

Taog Redloh
09-25-2016, 02:39 PM
The only way we contend next year is if those JUCO OL pan out. We really need to add one more and I think we will, because I noticed we were recrootin one more, not sure his name. If we drop the Auburn game and one of BYU/Kentucky, I say bench the seniors and start playing the younger classmen, go youth movement on the OL.

If they don't, we might go 3-9 for the second straight year and Mullen will be gone.

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 02:44 PM
We won't contend with Dan as our coach next year. We may have some tall WR's but we all know that since they are freshmen and sophomores they won't play as much as they should. The offensive line will be a huge question mark and we are going to have to rely on JUCO's on the o-line to actually come in and have an impact on day one to pull it off. We still don't know what Gibson and Murphy will give us either.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 03:02 PM
We won't contend with Dan as our coach next year. We may have some tall WR's but we all know that since they are freshmen and sophomores they won't play as much as they should. The offensive line will be a huge question mark and we are going to have to rely on JUCO's on the o-line to actually come in and have an impact on day one to pull it off. We still don't know what Gibson and Murphy will give us either.

I have my doubts as well, but who thought we'd contend in '14 when we were 5-3 leaving South Carolina. We had lost embarrassingly against ok state, destroyed vs lsu, barely beat bgsu, and barely beat Kentucky. It was the aTm game that kickstarted our program even though we lost... we played much better after that game. I'm not saying we'll have that awakening game this year, but who knows

Coach007
09-25-2016, 03:07 PM

Are we back to "fire Mullen so talent won't be wasted" or "Dan has to go because Prescott will be wasted"?

TUSK
09-25-2016, 03:12 PM
That '17 road schedule is nasty... UGA, AU, A&M, Arkie... Bammer, OM & LSU at home...

Taog Redloh
09-25-2016, 03:14 PM
That '17 road schedule is nasty... UGA, AU, A&M, Arkie... Bammer, OM & LSU at home...

If you are worth a shit you can make a run with that schedule. If you aren't, you might go flatline. Remains to be seen.....

2001-ish to me, to be honest.

GreenheadDawg
09-25-2016, 03:15 PM
$1,000?

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 03:20 PM
I have my doubts as well, but who thought we'd contend in '14 when we were 5-3 leaving South Carolina. We had lost embarrassingly against ok state, destroyed vs lsu, barely beat bgsu, and barely beat Kentucky. It was the aTm game that kickstarted our program even though we lost... we played much better after that game. I'm not saying we'll have that awakening game this year, but who knows

We happened to have the Dallas Cowboys QB on the bench and many believed that we would be much better starting Dak and Josh. That's why many of us wanted Dan gone at that time. Do we come back in 2013 if Tyler doesn't get hurt? Who knows?

I don't see it.

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Are we back to "fire Mullen so talent won't be wasted" or "Dan has to go because Prescott will be wasted"?

Dan needs to go to get talent in here to waste in the first place since we are having difficulty recruiting the Golden Triangle for the first time in my lifetime.

Congrats to Dan for being able to leech off of our best player in school history and then piss away his senior year.

HancockCountyDog
09-25-2016, 03:22 PM
So we lose the best playmaker on the roster, and three starters on a suspect OL, and we will be better?

Ok.

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 03:23 PM

You better watch out. We're making a run at Bama for the SEC in 2017.**

- Coach yesterday.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 03:33 PM
So we lose the best playmaker on the roster, and three starters on a suspect OL, and we will be better?

Ok.

I think we see...

LT -- Jenkins
LG -- champion
C -- Williams
RG -- Calhoun
RT -- rankin

Hopefully Reese, Eiland, and Phillips will be ready to contribute. From what I've been able to gather, we really like eiland and Reese

HancockCountyDog
09-26-2016, 12:08 AM
I think we see...

LT -- Jenkins
LG -- champion
C -- Williams
RG -- Calhoun
RT -- rankin

Hopefully Reese, Eiland, and Phillips will be ready to contribute. From what I've been able to gather, we really like eiland and Reese

Rankin has looked like garbage, Williams has barely played and Champion will take a season to adjust, assuming we don't redshirt him.

We will take a step back on the OL, that's what happens when you lose three seniors who have started for two straight seasons.

Todd4State
09-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Rankin has looked like garbage, Williams has barely played and Champion will take a season to adjust, assuming we don't redshirt him.

We will take a step back on the OL, that's what happens when you lose three seniors who have started for two straight seasons.

That?s a scary thought.

And for the record, I think Calhoun will likely be moved to center. I don?t think we?ll see Williams there, but who knows at this point.

GTHOM
09-26-2016, 02:34 AM
Yeah kind of looks like a 8-10 win team that Dan will coach down to 7-8. Just like this years team is 6-8 and he'll run em down to 4-6

Homedawg
09-26-2016, 06:55 AM
That?s a scary thought.

And for the record, I think Calhoun will likely be moved to center. I don?t think we?ll see Williams there, but who knows at this point.

Calhoun won't be moved to center.

HoopsCoach21
09-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Congrats to Dan for being able to leech off of our best player in school history and then piss away his senior year.

Good Lord Todd. Your hatred is making you make some ridiculous statements. So now not only does Dan not get any credit for the development of Dak (did you even watch him throw as a RSFr?) having him is now used against him. If 9 wins and breaking every passing record at a school is a wasted year I'd love to see someone live up to your expectations.

I do agree that he is lacking greatly in the recruiting department and there are many things you can hate on Dan for but the argument you're trying to make above is ridiculous.

HoopsCoach21
09-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Ok.

Kinda sounds like this year except we lost the best player in the history of our program, and some starters off the line, and our best wide receiver, and people are losing their minds because we took a step back?

Ok.

I am coming across on here like I am all in with Dan. That isn't even close to the case. I have my doubts too but it's funny some of the absurd things that are stated on here without taking a step back to see what you are really saying.

msstate7
09-26-2016, 08:45 AM
I am coming across on here like I am all in with Dan. That isn't even close to the case. I have my doubts too but it's funny some of the absurd things that are stated on here without taking a step back to see what you are really saying.

Everyone seems to think I'm mullen's #1 fan here, which really isn't true. I like Dan... a good bit. With that said, I'm not thrilled with player personnel decisions, predictable play calling at times, and recruiting issues. I'm just not ready to pull the plug yet and all this fire dan all day, every day makes it even more difficult to improve our biggest issue with Dan, recruiting. I just don't see what the big deal is with letting the year play out before casting final judgement

HancockCountyDog
09-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Kinda sounds like this year except we lost the best player in the history of our program, and some starters off the line, and our best wide receiver, and people are losing their minds because we took a step back?

Ok.

Not sure if directed at me, but my point this whole season has been that our schedule set up for us to have a good year.

I didn't think we would be a better team, but I did think we could win 8-9 games due to our schedule. Now, not so much.

Political Hack
09-26-2016, 09:55 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about basketball.

Coach007
09-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Everyone seems to think I'm mullen's #1 fan here, which really isn't true. I like Dan... a good bit. With that said, I'm not thrilled with player personnel decisions, predictable play calling at times, and recruiting issues. I'm just not ready to pull the plug yet and all this fire dan all day, every day makes it even more difficult to improve our biggest issue with Dan, recruiting. I just don't see what the big deal is with letting the year play out before casting final judgement

Which is normal. Fans do that.

Alot of what we have here is over the top!

shannondawg
09-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Lets watch what LSU does in hiring a new coach. It will be a lot easier for them to attract a top guy than us. So be careful what you wish for my friends.

TrapGame
09-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Lets watch what LSU does in hiring a new coach. It will be a lot easier for them to attract a top guy than us. So be careful what you wish for my friends.

Excellent point.

Coach007
09-26-2016, 01:22 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about basketball.

LOL! We gotta wait until Mid Nov to call for Howland's head.

tireddawg
09-26-2016, 01:49 PM
LOL! We gotta wait until Mid Nov to call for Howland's head.

And why would we do that?

sleepy dawg
09-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Gabe Myles not being gone sounds like a negative to me. He has more drops than catches.

DogsofAnarchy
09-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Let's first just go with our starters. http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/mississippi-state/91211

Offense: WRs

WR-X Gray, Donald JR/TR/1

WR-H Ross, Fred SR/3

WR-Z Myles, Gabe JR/2

1 SR will be gone, and that's all we lose. The back ups (more rotation guys) are all SO and Fr. Jackson, Dear, Mixon, and Thomas.

We have a 4 star that is enrolled... 6'5" 192. Todd. We have another that you have seen out there, Couch...6'5 217.

This will be the deepest we have ever had at this position. Most likely the largest.

TEs:

Johnson, Justin SO/1
Green, Farrod RS FR
Thomas, Jordan JR/TR

No losses there. We only add talent. 1 is a Juco so depth won't be an Issue.

RBs:

Holloway, Brandon SR/3
Shumpert, Ashton SR/3
Williams, Aeris RS SO

We lose 2 of the most complained about backs. When we look at who is in line waiting, You have Lee, Gibson, and Murphy. Not a single one under 205. Hill is committed.

QB

Not one single QB will be gone. We will add a 4 star Dual QB.

OL:

LT Jenkins, Elgton RS SO/1 Back up- Rankin, Martinas RS JR/TR
LG Desper, Devon SR2 Back up- Story, Michael RS FR

OC Clayborn, Jamaal SR/2 Back up- Johnson, Jocquell SR

RG Calhoun, Deion RS SO/1 Back up- Williams, Darryl RS FR
RG Senior, Justin SR/3 Back up-Moon, Harrison RS FR

We lose 3. We also added 3 last year and the smallest is 320 pounds.

This recruiting class has 2 OLmen from Juco and the smallest is.... 320. If you look at the line this year and in the past, we have been around 290 to 300-10 We seem to be moving to bigger guys to 310-330s

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

The offense will be notably better next year. Our Running backs will bigger and improved as a unit. Not only that, the size of the line will be bigger and over all more talented. Over all, Our Wrs and TE will improve throughout this season, and it's not like they are bad. We can get into stats if we need to. Things like Rushing last year (100th in the nation) vs this year (T-33 in the nation). Passing is just the opposite. So what does that tell us? We have a QB who is completing 60% with a lot of dropped passes. Our Passing game was 19th in the nation last year, and 63rd this year.

What we need to be watching are those WRs and Fitz. The slight timing that is costing us roughly 6-8% of our passing game right now. It's costing us drives that if completed, sustains drives.. adds to the defense due to rest.

Now take what you are looking at above and move to 2018! Fitz, a Sr.... look at what will be surrounding him! A very Veteran team that's going to be loaded.

We will not be better in the OL until John Hevesy is gone. We will not be better on Offense until Dan goes back to the offense that he knows how to run. The Chris Relf running spread is where we should be. But Dan has to make another Dak. We will see.

Coach007
09-26-2016, 02:31 PM
We will not be better in the OL until John Hevesy is gone. We will not be better on Offense until Dan goes back to the offense that he knows how to run. The Chris Relf running spread is where we should be. But Dan has to make another Dak. We will see.

LMAO!!! ok!

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 02:57 PM

Eh...Dan ran the 2014 offense to one of the best in SEC history. Got to disagree that the Relf offense is his best. 2014 blows that out of the water.

BB30
09-26-2016, 03:06 PM

Because if they did that, the Dan haters would have to find something else to bitch about on a daily basis. Never in my life have I seen so many "grown men" love to bicker and bitch so much. Half the reason this site is enjoyable is seeing the nonsense that gets posted here from time to time. It really is quite entertaining.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Dan needs to go to get talent in here to waste in the first place since we are having difficulty recruiting the Golden Triangle for the first time in my lifetime.

You aren't very old are you?

Todd4State
09-26-2016, 04:29 PM
You aren't very old are you?

I'm old enough.

Coach007
12-19-2016, 11:18 AM

Like I said, we will contend for the pay off over the next 2 years

GreenheadDawg
12-19-2016, 11:20 AM

No we won't. But we will be pretty good if the OL holds up and we find some guys who can cover someone in the secondary

Dawgface
12-19-2016, 11:21 AM
What kind of pay off?

GreenheadDawg
12-19-2016, 11:22 AM
What kind of pay off?

He's gonna pay off everybody's student loans

Coach007
12-19-2016, 11:35 AM
No we won't. But we will be pretty good if the OL holds up and we find some guys who can cover someone in the secondary

Some people have to learn the hard way..... :)

GreenheadDawg
12-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Some people have to learn the hard way..... :)

And obviously you never do. Have you ever been right?

Johnson85
12-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Damn. Hopefully UGA struggles with Smart, A&M implodes. OM will hopefully be a dumpster fire. Hard to see better than 3-4 out of those seven games and 1-6 is easily possible.

ETA: Didn't realize I got sucked into commenting on a three month old thread.

dawgday166
12-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Did Bama get moved to another conference and I just missed the press release??

NCDawg
12-19-2016, 12:01 PM

I think your first sentence is absolutely correct.

lamont
12-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Only thing we will contend for next year is 7 wins

HoopsDawg
12-19-2016, 02:20 PM

Did you just bump this thread as an I told you so? We went 5-7 this year bud. We will probably lose 2 home games at least next year: Bama and LSU. We have a tough road schedule. 7 wins will be a heck of an accomplishment.

Duckdog
12-19-2016, 02:32 PM
we will not lose to lsu next year

lamont
12-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Don't get your hopes up. They will be improved offensively and good on D

Homedawg
12-19-2016, 02:43 PM

Wowowow

smootness
12-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Damn. Hopefully UGA struggles with Smart, A&M implodes. OM will hopefully be a dumpster fire. Hard to see better than 3-4 out of those seven games and 1-6 is easily possible.

ETA: Didn't realize I got sucked into commenting on a three month old thread.

I think it's in the realm of possibility to go 4-3 or even 5-2 over those 7. Not likely, but it just depends on how good we are, obviously. Things can change quickly in a year. It's plausible that we're a better team than UGA, Arkansas, A&M, and Ole Miss next year.

Bucky Dog
12-19-2016, 03:54 PM
The only way we contend next year is if those JUCO OL pan out. We really need to add one more and I think we will, because I noticed we were recrootin one more, not sure his name. If we drop the Auburn game and one of BYU/Kentucky, I say bench the seniors and start playing the younger classmen, go youth movement on the OL.

If they don't, we might go 3-9 for the second straight year and Mullen will be gone.

Welcome back! It's been awhile.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2016, 04:03 PM

He's not back. That's the Ghost of Goats past - post was from September/

TrapGame
12-19-2016, 04:20 PM
If we beat LSU next year it's because O has a complete brain fart in the second half on defense and clock management. 7 or 8 is the best we'll do next year.

DownwardDawg
12-19-2016, 04:23 PM

Haha. Thank God it's been a while. Hopefully it lasts this time.

state66
12-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Gabe Myles will have to step up. He was down right awful this year.

Coach007
12-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Did you just bump this thread as an I told you so? We went 5-7 this year bud. We will probably lose 2 home games at least next year: Bama and LSU. We have a tough road schedule. 7 wins will be a heck of an accomplishment.

I did. I stated we would go to a bowl, and that the season was all about improving. We would load up on JUCO and make it happen.

The OL is vastly improved.

TUSK
12-19-2016, 06:34 PM
I did. I stated we would go to a bowl, and that the season was all about improving. We would load up on JUCO and make it happen.

Let me get this straight, Coach, I'm confused with the old/new posts... and some of the hijacks in this thread...

You're telling us that MSU is gonna be "in the CFP picture" in 2017 and/or 2018?

lamont
12-19-2016, 06:35 PM

and we lose 3 starters off this OL

lamont
12-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Let me get this straight, Coach, I'm confused with the old/new posts... and some of the hijacks in this thread...

You're telling us that MSU is gonna be "in the CFP picture" in 2017 and/or 2018?

not a chance in 2017...too much schedule- even if we were going to be good. We win 8 and its been a great year in 2017. Most likely going to be 6 or 7

TUSK
12-19-2016, 06:46 PM
not a chance in 2017...too much schedule- even if we were going to be good. We win 8 and its been a great year in 2017. Most likely going to be 6 or 7

Yeah, I actually brought up the '17 slate waaaaaay up there...

I'm just tryin' to make sure I read "what I read", is all...

A lot of things have to fall in line/cooincide for that to happen... soft schedule, great/experienced returning talent, solid coaching, ~100% hit on JUCOs, conference opponents being "down", getting "hot" at the right time, and being a bit lucky, even....

Todd4State
12-19-2016, 07:04 PM

A lot of things have to fall in line/cooincide for that to happen... soft schedule, great/experienced returning talent, solid coaching, ~100% hit on JUCOs, conference opponents being "down", getting "hot" at the right time, and being a bit lucky, even....

I think you nailed it. It's going to depend a lot on how the JUCO's come in and do. I have questions about Sirmon as well. If he doesn't step it up we're going to have an uphill climb. Hopefully it was just the 3-4 learning curve and maybe just not having the best personnel. I think of the top of my head we had 24 sacks this past season and 10 of those came in OOC games. Our pass rush has to improve.

lamont
12-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Also- people keep talking shit about Georgia. They were young this season. They return 17 starters plus have a top 5 recruiting class. And their QB wont be a green 18 year old true freshman next year.

6 of the top 7 teams in the SEC in 2017 are on our schedule...that makes for a long season- especially when 2 of them in Bama and LSU are at home but still going to be losses.

Coach007
12-19-2016, 07:12 PM

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. It is the reason Mullen went Juco in recruiting. We have redshirted a lot of talent that will show up next year. Mix that in with returning and with the juco.

smootness
12-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Also- people keep talking shit about Georgia. They were young this season. They return 17 starters plus have a top 5 recruiting class. And their QB wont be a green 18 year old true freshman next year.

Who is doing that? They are an unknown with an unknown coach. Could be very good, could continue to be mediocre.

TUSK
12-19-2016, 07:30 PM

6 of the top 7 teams in the SEC in 2017 are on our schedule...that makes for a long season- especially when 2 of them in Bama and LSU are at home but still going to be losses.

Wins O/U at 6 or 7 (OOC x 4, KY, OM, x?)?

TUSK
12-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. It is the reason Mullen went Juco in recruiting. We have redshirted a lot of talent that will show up next year. Mix that in with returning and with the juco.

dude.

Edit: You mean the College Football Playoff? Like the one that has UA, OSU, Clem, and Wash in it for '16?

defiantdog
12-19-2016, 07:43 PM
@Auburn, @A&M, @Georgia, and @Arkansas then have LSU and Bama at home. We will be lucky to get 7 wins next year..... I'd love to run the table, but not with that schedule.

Political Hack
12-19-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm about as scared of that schedule as I was in 2014. LSU is worse. A&M is worse. Ark is beatable. Auburn is the most dyslexic football program in America. Ole Miss sucks for the next decade. Kentucky should be a win.

I think we get to 8 with an outside shot at 9, if we fix the defense and FG kicking.

Coach007
12-19-2016, 07:53 PM

Let's look at our down year:

SOUTH ALABAMA.. lost by 1

LSU lost by 3

BYU 2OT loss

KENTUCKY Lost by 2

Next season:

1- Charleston Southern Buccaneers W
2- Louisiana Tech Bulldogs W
3- LSU Tigers W
4- Georgia Bulldogs --- toss up
5- Auburn Tigers W
6- BYU Cougars W
7- Kentucky Wildcats W
8- Texas A&M Aggies W
9- UMass Minutemen W
10- Alabama Crimson Tide --- toss up
11- Arkansas Razorbacks W
12- Ole Miss Rebels W

I don't see a team will be more improved than MSU next year in the SEC. Bama is going to be Bama. UGA on the road...tough

Coach007
12-19-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm about as scared of that schedule as I was in 2014. LSU is worse. A&M is worse. Ark is beatable. Auburn is the most dyslexic football program in America. Ole Miss sucks for the next decade. Kentucky should be a win.

I think we get to 8 with an outside shot at 9, if we fix the defense and FG kicking.

I'm not worried at all. If we go 9-3 with losses to Bama, Lsu, and UGA and are in those games.... that's competing. There will not be a more improved team than MSU though.

TUSK
12-19-2016, 08:06 PM
My Take on 2017:

1- Charleston Southern Buccaneers FAV
2- @ Louisiana Tech Bulldogs FAV
3- LSU Tigers DOG
4- @ Georgia Bulldogs DOG
5- @ Auburn Tigers DOG
6- BYU Cougars FAV
7- Kentucky Wildcats FAV
8- @ Texas A&M Aggies DOG
9- UMass Minutemen FAV
10- Alabama Crimson Tide DOG
11- @ Arkansas Razorbacks DOG
12- Ole Miss Rebels FAV

Also, one must understand that this isn't in a vacuum, take in to account schedules of other SECW teams...

IMO, for MSU to make a legit run CFPwise, Bama would have to have 2 losses... and the '17 Bammer Schedule is exceptionally favorable...

Sep. 2 Florida State Seminoles, Atlanta
Sep. 9 Fresno State Bulldogs
Sep. 16 Colorado State Rams
Sep. 23 at Vanderbilt Commodores
Sep. 30 Ole Miss Rebels
Oct. 7 at Texas A&M Aggies
Oct. 14 Arkansas Razorbacks
Oct. 21 Tennessee Volunteers
Nov. 4 LSU Tigers
Nov. 11 at Mississippi State Bulldogs
Nov. 18 Mercer Bears
Nov. 25 at Auburn Tigers
Dec. 2 SEC Championship Game

Next year may be MORE boring than this year was... and that makes me a little sad.

lamont
12-19-2016, 08:09 PM

Bama is Bama and we will lose. Saban abuses Mullen
We don't beat LSU- and they should be very good in 2017
Georgia returns 17 starters- 2 dynamic TB's- and has a top 5 recruiting class- we aren't beating Georgia in Athens
Auburn returns more starters than us from a young team- we aren't beating them
UPig is going to be good next year- winning there is highly unlikely
A&M returns more starters than us and we play at their place- another unlikely win
I won't even get into Kentucky or BYU.

We will be hard pressed for 6 wins again. 7 is a good year and 8 would be beyond expectations. Not a chance at 9. None

Coach007
12-19-2016, 08:28 PM
IMO, for MSU to make a legit run CFPwise, Bama would have to have 2 losses... and the '17 Bammer Schedule is exceptionally favorable....

Not if MSU beats Bama head to head. MSU can drop one and still make the playoffs with a win at home VS Bama.

Todd4State
12-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Let's look at our down year:

SOUTH ALABAMA.. lost by 1

LSU lost by 3

BYU 2OT loss

KENTUCKY Lost by 2

Next season:

1- Charleston Southern Buccaneers W
2- Louisiana Tech Bulldogs W
3- LSU Tigers W
4- Georgia Bulldogs --- toss up
5- Auburn Tigers W
6- BYU Cougars W
7- Kentucky Wildcats W
8- Texas A&M Aggies W
9- UMass Minutemen W
10- Alabama Crimson Tide --- toss up
11- Arkansas Razorbacks W
12- Ole Miss Rebels W

I don't see a team will be more improved than MSU next year in the SEC. Bama is going to be Bama. UGA on the road...tough

Honestly- if we went 10-2 with that schedule that would be the greatest season in school history since the 1940's. I hope you are right but we have too many question marks for me to buy it.

Coach007
12-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Bama is Bama and we will lose. Saban abuses Mullen
We don't beat LSU- and they should be very good in 2017
Georgia returns 17 starters- 2 dynamic TB's- and has a top 5 recruiting class- we aren't beating Georgia in Athens
Auburn returns more starters than us from a young team- we aren't beating them
UPig is going to be good next year- winning there is highly unlikely
A&M returns more starters than us and we play at their place- another unlikely win
I won't even get into Kentucky or BYU.

We will be hard pressed for 6 wins again. 7 is a good year and 8 would be beyond expectations. Not a chance at 9. None

LOL! We just need to fire everybody don't we. In fact... pull all of the scholarships and start over in recruiting too.

Homedawg
12-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Not if MSU beats Bama head to head. MSU can drop one and still make the playoffs with a win at home VS Bama.
I'll have some of what you are having....

TUSK
12-19-2016, 08:38 PM

So, you think MSU is gonna go 12-0 or 11-1 with a win over Bama?

even if that is the case, I think a 1 loss Bama (to an 11-1 MSU on the road) would probably get the nod over an 11-1 MSU with a "worse" loss...

and I just can't find 2 losses on UA's slate...

Coach007
12-19-2016, 08:40 PM
So, you think MSU is gonna go 12-0 or 11-1 with a win over Bama?

even if that is the case, I think a 1 loss Bama (to an 11-1 MSU on the road) would probably get the nod over an 11-1 MSU with a "worse" loss...

and I just can't find 2 losses on UA's slate...

I think MSU will have the ability.

TUSK
12-19-2016, 08:47 PM
I think MSU will have the ability.

Fair enough... I love the confidence.

lamont
12-19-2016, 08:47 PM
LOL! We just need to fire everybody don't we. In fact... pull all of the scholarships and start over in recruiting too.

I said we would be lucky to win 6 games in 2016- we didn't. You were all gung ho

I'm sorry reality bothers you- but our ceiling in 2017 is 7 wins. And that is if everything goes perfect

Activated Alpha
12-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Coach are you high? If you were talking about baseball, then I would tend to agree with you. Did we not watch the same team this year?

TUSK
12-19-2016, 08:50 PM
I said we would be lucky to win 6 games in 2016- we didn't. You were all gung ho

I'm sorry reality bothers you- but our ceiling in 2017 is 7 wins. And that is if everything goes perfect

Gonna HiJack this "Alice Goes to Wonderland" thread for a minute, RP...

Did you see the '17 Bammer schedule I posted above? How warm & fuzzy does that make ya feel (for us toothless trailer dwellers)?

GreenheadDawg
12-19-2016, 09:19 PM

I really don't know why people argue with him. He's obviously on some the of the best kush known to man

Coach007
12-19-2016, 09:35 PM

I was realistic. I said we would have a down year and still go bowling. You were calling for the HC after the first loss.

Coach007
12-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Coach are you high? If you were talking about baseball, then I would tend to agree with you. Did we not watch the same team this year?

No! Just realistic. Just like with DAK. Some wanted Mullen gone so his talent wouldn't be wasted. People were calling for Mullen to be fired after the first loss of the season. It was a rebuilding year. We are extremely young. 2 key injuries will actually turn out to help us next year!

Sure.. Make sure you mix this up alot!!!

We had a ton of injuries that forced younger players into action. We lost 2 SR starting DBs before the season. One was for 4 games, the other for the year. That forced Smitherman and Stamps into playing as FR. Bryant, SO, played a lot due to injuries and he's special. Peters, McLaurin, Graham, Rayford. Now throw into that #1 JUCO Abram, Cole and Landrews.

We don't have a problem with LBs at all.

DL.. We had a great rotation. Thomas, Simmons, Hoyett, Adams, Brown. Throw in the Jucos, Autry #2 DL in the nation per ESPN, Pope #2 DL per 247, Rivers... Top pass rusher, Sweat #6 DE in the nation.

OFFENSE:

WR.. we lose 1.

OL.. we lose 3. Replaced 1 OT with the #5 OT in Juco. Replace the OG with the TOP OG in the nation per 247 and 4th best by ESPN. And we actually have some talent behind these guys.

I have no reason to think that MSU will not compete.

DudyDawg
12-19-2016, 09:56 PM
I was realistic. I said we would have a down year and still go bowling. You were calling for the HC after the first loss.

If we didn't have a good GPA and get into the 5-7 suck bowl would you have bumped this thread?

Activated Alpha
12-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Compete yes, but not for playoff contention. State might make a good run for sec west, if, and it's a big if we have everything fall into place with luck involved. I don't see us winning a lot of those away games next year.

lamont
12-19-2016, 10:08 PM

Calling for the HC to do what? I never once said he should be fired. But we saw a lot of his mistakes this year

lamont
12-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Compete yes, but not for playoff contention. State might make a good run for sec west, if, and it's a big if we have everything fall into place with luck involved. I don't see us winning a lot of those away games next year.

We are a 7 win team next year if the jucos work out. If they don't- we got trouble

TUSK
12-19-2016, 11:15 PM
No! Just realistic. Just like with DAK. Some wanted Mullen gone so his talent wouldn't be wasted. People were calling for Mullen to be fired after the first loss of the season. It was a rebuilding year. We are extremely young. 2 key injuries will actually turn out to help us next year!

Sure.. Make sure you mix this up alot!!!

We had a ton of injuries that forced younger players into action. We lost 2 SR starting DBs before the season. One was for 4 games, the other for the year. That forced Smitherman and Stamps into playing as FR. Bryant, SO, played a lot due to injuries and he's special. Peters, McLaurin, Graham, Rayford. Now throw into that #1 JUCO Abram, Cole and Landrews.

We don't have a problem with LBs at all.

DL.. We had a great rotation. Thomas, Simmons, Hoyett, Adams, Brown. Throw in the Jucos, Autry #2 DL in the nation per ESPN, Pope #2 DL per 247, Rivers... Top pass rusher, Sweat #6 DE in the nation.

OFFENSE:

WR.. we lose 1.

OL.. we lose 3. Replaced 1 OT with the #5 OT in Juco. Replace the OG with the TOP OG in the nation per 247 and 4th best by ESPN. And we actually have some talent behind these guys.

I have no reason to think that MSU will not compete.

Caveat: All, please don't jump on my ass for being a Bammer Homer.... This is a serious question for Coach.

Coach, just for a comparison of talent, what guys at MSU do you think would:
1) start, or
2) be on 2 deep in Tuskaloosa?

I'm just tryin' to feel where you're comin' from.... I've gotta be missing something...

msstate7
12-19-2016, 11:50 PM
Calling for the HC to do what? I never once said he should be fired. But we saw a lot of his mistakes this year

You said you and the admins of this site no longer support Mullen as HC. If that isn't calling for him to be fired, what is?

Bulldogg31
12-20-2016, 12:11 AM
People seriously want the winningest coach of our modern history fired? That's ridiculous. You're pulling in the wrong direction.

TUSK
12-20-2016, 12:40 AM
damn... this thread was just gettin' interesting...

bummer.

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 01:47 AM
damn... this thread was just gettin' interesting...

bummer.

Yes the sheep have to bleat and ruin good sports conversation in the name of blind loyalty. 25 points per game this season with Holloway. 41 points per game with Aeris. No thanks to your MDL. That's all that needs to be said about Dan and his personnel management.

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 02:25 AM
Here's the reality now that the JUCO signing period has passed.

QB- Fitz should be better. In Dan we trust with QB's.

RB- Aeris should be better. Lee and Gibson should be a good upgrade over Shumpert as well.

WR- Missing out on Guidry hurts us BIG time. We are going to miss Ross. Gray is more suited for the slot but I'm sure we will keep him outside because Couch is young and who knows how Reggie Todd will look as a freshman although I think he will be pretty good from all reports. Dear is Dear but he needs to lose weight and Mixon is a nice weapon to have. Downgrade because of the loss of Ross. Do we move one of the TE's to WR? Dontae Jones if he loses about 10 pounds?

TE- Better. Getting Pierce would have been nice but ultimately we'll still be better with Green and Justin Johnson. Do we move Jordan Thomas to RT? See above about Jones. If our group of TE's is Green, Johnson, and Roberson that's still a solid group.

OL- Who knows? We have two reliable guys in Jenkins and Rankin but Hevesy is already tinkering with moving them which is likely going to be a bad thing in the long run. I wish he would just figure out where everyone's best position is, keep them there and focus on teaching them that one position instead of all of this BS about teaching everyone every position. Maybe that's why Rankin wasn't ready for a year and a half- it's hard enough to learn one position much less all five. Calhoun and Story are reliable too. But since we whiffed on Hayes thanks to Hevesy's awesome recruiting or lack thereof- not to mention the plethora of misses in the past forcing us to go the JUCO route in the first place. Someone nailed it the other day about Hevesy- he's a college o-line coach pretending to be a NFL o-line coach. Instead of developing 8 guys and having them be able to play all five positons he needs to develop 10 guys and just have a normal two deep. We should be better, but I'm bracing myself to be pissed off when Rankin is at center and Jenkins is playing RT and then it doesn't work. And who knows who the fifth guy is going to be? Eiland? Move Jordan Thomas? It's pretty clear to me that the staff doesn't want to go that route if they can help it. We do have Champion coming in and Phillips coming in but we normally redshirt our JUCO o-line guys so I'm not sure we can exactly count on them either. Especially while they are learning the nuances of four positions they will probably never play again in their life.

DL- Our d-line and I am including Viper in this group because they rush the passer a lot amassed 12 sacks amongst the starters on the season. We only racked up 10 sacks in SEC play as a TEAM. Torrey Dale racked up a grand total of zero all by himself. In short we need more production from this group. Although they were decent against the run. Playing Simmons more will help so James moving on helps us. Cory Thomas had better numbers than Dale in less time so that should be an upgrade as well. We need the JUCO's or maybe move Gerri Green to DE to step up obviously and at least fill in AJ's spot. Spencer looked really good and hopefully he can at least equal Calvin's production if not exceed it. Who knows if the JUCO's are going to be 1999 grade or Arizona Western debacle caliber? Probably somewhere in the middle and probably more towards 1999 than Arizona Western. I like the fact that Rivers and Sweat have D-I experience which will hopefully help their six game transition.

LB- We should be better. I love Richie Brown, but he missed a LOT of tackles. I think he was a misfit for the 3-4. If Leo takes his spot that will improve us a good bit. He's a special player. Dez Harris impressed me. Jung and Gray got better as the year went along and they should be solid. If Green plays here he will be better as well. I'm looking forward to seeing Errol Thompson and seeing if he has a similar impact as Leo did this year. I'm pulling for Josiah Phillips to make a contribution as well because of his backstory.

CB- Should be better. Peters is raw but my gosh is he incredibly athletic. He could be elite once he figures out what he is doing. Durr, Giles, and Graham are serviceable and they should be better. Add in Cleveland and we have certainly been in worse positions than having a freak athlete and four seniors at CB. Now if the pass rush will help these guys out.

S- Better. McLaurin had a very nice year, and we just need Brandon Bryant to get whatever was going on with him behind him. Picking up Cole and Abrams will hopefully help us out a lot- and we may need one of them to pick up for Bryant but hopefully not. Again they have to go through the six game JUCO transition period so hopefully having been with D-I programs before will help both of them transition more quickly.

K/P/KO- We should be better. We have a senior kicker and a punter who both have performed in the past but had to deal with injuries this year. If they get healthy I think they will be fine based on the fact that they did perform when they were healthy. The silver lining is Brad Wall and John Schexnayder both got some experience and that will help us down the line.

KR/PR- We'll miss Holloway and Ross but Mixon is electric and I think Dear or Gray will handle the other duties if I had to guess. Maybe Deddrick Thomas. I'm expecting about the same from this group. Hopefully better since we were 9th in the SEC in kick returns and 13th in punt returns.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Yes the sheep have to bleat and ruin good sports conversation in the name of blind loyalty.

You must be talking about your blind loyalty to C34 sheep.

lamont
12-20-2016, 08:59 AM
You said you and the admins of this site no longer support Mullen as HC. If that isn't calling for him to be fired, what is?

Saying he should be fired is saying he should be fired. Just because I don't support him doesn't mean I think he should lose his job. I just can't support someone that starts Brandon Holloway at TB when we have the A-Train on the bench watching. I'll never support that.

I give Cohen credit- he stopped bunting in the 1st inning of games and his team went on a roll because of it offensively. Holloway had to get injured for Mullen to make the change

lamont
12-20-2016, 09:00 AM
People seriously want the winningest coach of our modern history fired? That's ridiculous. You're pulling in the wrong direction.

I haven't seen anybody say he should be fired

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 09:03 AM

We return the most talented QB in the league. To say we have zero chance at 9 wins with the best player at the most important position is ****ing retarded. Didn't you also say we had zero chance to beat Old Misses this year? What about how many times he'd get sacked in the last two games? Fitz lead the entire country in yardage the second half of the year. I'd say we have more than zero chance at 9 wins next year. You shoulda gotten up from the blackjack table awhile ago.

lamont
12-20-2016, 09:07 AM
A) no I didn't say we had no chance to beat OM. Anything was possible after they lost their QB

B) more of the same shit. I was crazy for saying we would struggle to win 6 in 2016 according to your dumbass. We have no chance to win 9 games with our schedule.

lamont
12-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Here is looking at our team objectively:

We have to replace 3 OL starters
We will be average at best at WR
It takes jucos at least half a season to adjust to SEC football under Mullen except for the ones that end up redshirting
Defense was awful in 2016- there are no assurances it will be much better
Damn tough SEC schedule

Really Clark?
12-20-2016, 09:14 AM
I haven't seen anybody say he should be fired

I agree you never said those words but it was said by posters on here. And not just in game threads. If you accuse one side of being sheep for Mullen don't blind yourself from the point of view from those of the opposing view either. Granted I do believe a few of those where just trolls and/or fake posters to spread that message. And you can be passage aggressive and parse words by saying you wish him to go but not calling for him to be fired so you can say I never posted he should be fired. But your point view is you want him gone just the same.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
A) no I didn't say we had no chance to beat OM.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah you said it like a thousand ****ing times. Doesn't matter their QB got hurt. Guess you shoulda thought about that possibility before claiming zero chance and that we'd get skull****ed by them all year long. Now you're saying we have zero chance at nine wins. Whatever increases clicks and views though right.

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Saying he should be fired is saying he should be fired. Just because I don't support him doesn't mean I think he should lose his job. I just can't support someone that starts Brandon Holloway at TB when we have the A-Train on the bench watching. I'll never support that.

I give Cohen credit- he stopped bunting in the 1st inning of games and his team went on a roll because of it offensively. Holloway had to get injured for Mullen to make the change

Man, that is some Clinton level parsing of words RP. By "not supporting" the coach, you are implying that you want him gone without actually saying it. You might as well be an OM persons who says "I love the Plantation, but until they bring Col. Reb back, I'll only tailgate in the Grove instead of actually going to games."

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Here is looking at our team objectively:

We have to replace 3 OL starters
We will be average at best at WR
It takes jucos at least half a season to adjust to SEC football under Mullen except for the ones that end up redshirting
Defense was awful in 2016- there are no assurances it will be much better
Damn tough SEC schedule

Objectively? You forgot to include that we have the most talented QB in the ****ing SEC. How's that looking at our team objectively when you don't include the best player in the league at the most important position?

lamont
12-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Objectively? You forgot to include that we have the most talented QB in the ****ing SEC. How's that looking at our team objectively when you don't include the best player in the league at the most important position?

We have a very talented QB. So does Bama, Georgia, Auburn, OM, and UPig. And every one of those teams have better WR's than us. Then throw in LSU with all their talent.

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 09:40 AM
You must be talking about your blind loyalty to C34 sheep.

No. I'm talking about blind loyalty to a coach who was illogically playing a running back that was based on projections costing is two touchdowns a game, didn't know how to handle looking for a job prior to hiring Jimmy Sexton, and keeps an incompetent o-line coach who refuses to recruit around because they are friends.

But hey! He's better than Charley Shira!

And apparently that's good enough for some of our fans.

Coach007
12-20-2016, 09:42 AM

So Ole Miss can go to UGA and win, but poor MSU can't? We can beat TAMU at home, gain talent while they lose some of their best and we can't go there and win?

Coach007
12-20-2016, 09:45 AM
Caveat: All, please don't jump on my ass for being a Bammer Homer.... This is a serious question for Coach.

Coach, just for a comparison of talent, what guys at MSU do you think would:
1) start, or
2) be on 2 deep in Tuskaloosa?

I'm just tryin' to feel where you're comin' from.... I've gotta be missing something...

That's flawed. Why does it have to be a "he has to be able to start for us in order to beat us". We both know that's not the case.

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 09:49 AM
I agree you never said those words but it was said by posters on here. And not just in game threads. If you accuse one side of being sheep for Mullen don't blind yourself from the point of view from those of the opposing view either. Granted I do believe a few of those where just trolls and/or fake posters to spread that message. And you can be passage aggressive and parse words by saying you wish him to go but not calling for him to be fired so you can say I never posted he should be fired. But your point view is you want him gone just the same.

Speaking for myself I wanted in gone because he was looking around. And that's only because if he doesn't want to be here then I don't want him here. I don't care if he is Nick Saban.

Apparently he wants to stay now and I'm fine with that too. But he needs to redidicate himself to being the best he can be for us. And yes I do think he is starting to take some steps towards doing that. The only coach I would fire is Hevesy. If Sirmon doesn't step up next year maybe him too but I'll give him a chance to fix it before I make my final opinion on that.

dawgday166
12-20-2016, 09:53 AM
That's flawed. Why does it have to be a "he has to be able to start for us in order to beat us". We both know that's not the case.

I don't think its flawed. If we have no one that can even make their 2-deep then we ain't winning against Bama. We do have probably a couple or 3 as far as I can tell. Fitz, Leo, Simmons, and maybe Jenkins or Rankin (hard to tell on Jenkins and Rankin yet). Maybe AW and another back like Gibson. Peters & McLauren have potential. But that's about it unless I'm missing someone.

And as good as Fitz is, he gotta have very good blocking and receivers. I'm not sure we'll be there next year on those 2. Juco D guys have to step up big next year. I see maybe in 2 years we "compete" for 2nd in the West.

Really Clark?
12-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Speaking for myself I wanted in gone because he was looking around. And that's only because if he doesn't want to be here then I don't want him here. I don't care if he is Nick Saban.

Apparently he wants to stay now and I'm fine with that too. But he needs to redidicate himself to being the best he can be for us. And yes I do think he is starting to take some steps towards doing that. The only coach I would fire is Hevesy. If Sirmon doesn't step up next year maybe him too but I'll give him a chance to fix it before I make my final opinion on that.

Yeah I know your stance and we have discussed it before and I'm fine with that. But like you said that is your stance. There are those who will not support him and want him gone no matter what at this point, which is their prerogative. I'm fine with that too just don't hide behind a passage aggressive stance because firing him would have been a bad PR move. Some of those same insiders also said during the season there was no way we would extend him this year with a losing season. Granted dynamics change inside the department now as well.

lamont
12-20-2016, 10:03 AM
So Ole Miss can go to UGA and win, but poor MSU can't? We can beat TAMU at home, gain talent while they lose some of their best and we can't go there and win?

OM won in Oxford- and next year's Georgia team should be vastly improved

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Yeah I know your stance and we have discussed it before and I'm fine with that. But like you said that is your stance. There are those who will not support him and want him gone no matter what at this point, which is their prerogative. I'm fine with that too just don't hide behind a passage aggressive stance because firing him would have been a bad PR move. Some of those same insiders also said during the season there was no way we would extend him this year with a losing season. Granted dynamics change inside the department now as well.

And a different agent too. I'd actually like to see us restructure Dan's contract. Give him the extension he wants and keep his salary the same but include bonuses for team performance such as winning the NC, the SEC, the West, the Egg Bowl, winning 10 games, and also bonuses for recruiting in the top 20 and top 15 and up.

dawgday166
12-20-2016, 10:11 AM

You did say compete for playoff Coach.

First, we ain't beating Bama, not next year or in 2018 or any other time while Saban is there. Next year we go to AU, GA, TAMU, & Arky. There's probably at a minimum 2 losses in there on top of the annual Bama beat down and probably losing to LSU. That probably leaves us about 4th in West next year (3rd at best). That's IF everything comes together across the entire spectrum (OL, WRs, Juco D players). Those are 3 big IFs.

Coach007
12-20-2016, 10:18 AM
A) no I didn't say we had no chance to beat OM. Anything was possible after they lost their QB

B) more of the same shit. I was crazy for saying we would struggle to win 6 in 2016 according to your dumbass. We have no chance to win 9 games with our schedule.

Interesting... You didn't call for him to be fired?

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?47661-This-is-what-it-comes-down-to-for-me&highlight=Mullen

Why would a new coach need 4-5 years to rebuild if we have talent?

Replacing Mullen in 2017 would be like Cohen taking over for Polk.

You have stated over and over with this account and others, that Mullen needed to be replaced. Not only that, you stated that that there was noway we could win 8 games this year. Now I understand you get to say you were right, but I posted the 4 losses in this thread and we were very close to 9 wins. So yeah, we had the chance on a KNOWN down year.

You did say we would lose to Ole Miss. In fact you stated we would lose by 2 TD

I have read your rants on how he "lost" you due to T-Buck etc etc.

BB30
12-20-2016, 10:18 AM

Eh I think Nick Saban would catch a break if we were coming off a National Championship win. Coaches look around it happens unfortunately, it happened a little more publicly then it should have. Here is the thing you have to look at...LSU had a job opening and you can say what you want but that is a top 10 job, our job does not compare to LSU and you can argue all day against that but it is just a fact. They had to settle for Orgeron, If Mullen had left or been fired like you wanted we would have made a RR type of hire or had to of taken a chance on another Coordinator. It worked out for us the first time, but you keep doing that and you will get burned. Most coordinators are not ready to jump to a HC gig and many struggle out of the gate even at premium jobs much less coming here where I would say our job might grade out as a B to B+ and that is best case.

With a bad hire our program could be set back another 10 years. We are not that far removed from being the cellar dweller in the entire SEC not just the West. I don't think you look at our Football job realistically. If and when a move is made we better sure as hell have someone ready to take the job before you make the move otherwise, we will be right back to where we were.

Mullen has had some glaring deficiencies as a coach but he is also very young when compared to his peers and has time to grow and improve. I do think he was looking to leave but it was going to have to be to an elite program and that opportunity didn't present itself. I think he realizes now that he will have to win big to have a chance to land a big time job and will be recommitted going forward. Everybody has an end game in any profession they are in and I really don't care if he plans to leave at some point for an elite job as long as he is busting his ass while he is here and leaves us in good position talent wise for the next coach. I would much rather him leave on his own accord after winning big here than us fire him and have to scrounge up the bottom of the barrel HC or an up and coming coordinator.

And the problem with hiring an up and coming coordinator is you will run into the same problem with success he will want to leave for a bigger job unless it is someone connected to our university like a John Cohen and I don't see many of those in the CFB coaching landscape.

Coach007
12-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Here's the reality now that the JUCO signing period has passed.

WR- Missing out on Guidry hurts us BIG time. We are going to miss Ross. Gray is more suited for the slot but I'm sure we will keep him outside because Couch is young and who knows how Reggie Todd will look as a freshman although I think he will be pretty good from all reports. Dear is Dear but he needs to lose weight and Mixon is a nice weapon to have. Downgrade because of the loss of Ross. Do we move one of the TE's to WR? Dontae Jones if he loses about 10 pounds?

TE- Better. Getting Pierce would have been nice but ultimately we'll still be better with Green and Justin Johnson. Do we move Jordan Thomas to RT? See above about Jones. If our group of TE's is Green, Johnson, and Roberson that's still a solid group.

We didn't need Pierce. We are extremely deep at TE.

We have options at WR. Under Mullen we have had the best success at that position. Wouldn't it be an ok thing to just trust we have what we need?

BB30
12-20-2016, 10:22 AM

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?47661-This-is-what-it-comes-down-to-for-me&highlight=Mullen

You have stated over and over with this account and others, that Mullen needed to be replaced. Not only that, you stated that that there was noway we could win 8 games this year. Now I understand you get to say you were right, but I posted the 4 losses in this thread and we were very close to 9 wins. So yeah, we had the chance on a KNOWN down year.

Dude, no point in arguing with ignorance the guy has never admitted when he is wrong or made a poor prediction and loves to gloat when he is correct and say I told you so. He thinks he is Nick Saban Jr. Just learn to ignore him. He is wrong way more than he is correct.

BTW Danny Etling looks like a top QB prospect in the Draft and had a hell of an offensive season and AJ brown is never going to OM********************************

Really Clark?
12-20-2016, 10:24 AM
And a different agent too. I'd actually like to see us restructure Dan's contract. Give him the extension he wants and keep his salary the same but include bonuses for team performance such as winning the NC, the SEC, the West, the Egg Bowl, winning 10 games, and also bonuses for recruiting in the top 20 and top 15 and up.

I'm ok with that except for the recruiting bonus for a HC. I know a very few assistants and/or recruiting coordinators have a recruiting bonus in their contracts and I'm more inclined to go that route if I'm going to do that. But I can see that as an issue giving that to HC's. For some like Dan it would probably not be a big deal because I think he recruits straight for the most part and that is what the school wants from our program. But I could see coaches getting pretty loose in trying to get players that either are not fits or cross the line in recruiting that brings the NCAA to look closely at what you are doing. By staying with on the field performance based bonuses, if you don't get the players you don't reach those goals anyway. So keep the bonus structure tied to that not a recruiting title. Could you imagine what UNM would have done with recruiting bonuses on the line? On second thought, they should definitely have recruiting bonuses for the next few years. Can you say repeat offender and death penalty. Ha

Coach007
12-20-2016, 10:28 AM
We have a very talented QB. So does Bama, Georgia, Auburn, OM, and UPig. And every one of those teams have better WR's than us. Then throw in LSU with all their talent.

LOL!!!!! So don't even play the games? Just wow!

LSU? The talented team that only beat us by 3 at their home?

BB30
12-20-2016, 10:30 AM
LOL!!!!! So don't even play the games? Just wow!

LSU? The talented team that only beat us by 3 at their home?

Yep, LSU only beat us by 3 and that was with the almighty Danny Etling at the helm. I really cant believe LSU didn't win the NC with him QBing clearly the best QB to play in the SEC in the history of the SEC and is improving every single game. What a gun slinger he is.*****

smootness
12-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Yep, LSU only beat us by 3 and that was with the almighty Danny Etling at the helm. I really cant believe LSU didn't win the NC with him QBing clearly the best QB to play in the SEC in the history of the SEC and is improving every single game. What a gun slinger he is.*****

Uh...who will their QB be next year?

Coach007
12-20-2016, 10:39 AM

Brother Danny!

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 10:43 AM
No. I'm talking about blind loyalty to a coach who was illogically playing a running back that was based on projections costing is two touchdowns a game, didn't know how to handle looking for a job prior to hiring Jimmy Sexton, and keeps an incompetent o-line coach who refuses to recruit around because they are friends.

But hey! He's better than Charley Shira!

And apparently that's good enough for some of our fans.

Show me one single post you disagreed with him about something. Ever.

BB30
12-20-2016, 10:43 AM

So you want to argue that Danny Etling will be an NFL draft prospect and be a stud next year? We can make a friendly wager if you want. I was posting sarcasm due to some comments made by random of how terrific of a QB he is(he basically stated he is a better talent than any QB on our roster). And, the only reason Etling will be starting next year is due to the fact that their roster lacks a truly competent QB. I would not be surprised if he gets replaced at some point during the season. Feel free to save this post and throw it in my face when he has a good year haha. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, that is the point I was trying to make.

But, if you can post facts pointing to the fact that he will be a legit NFL candidate and have a great season possibly contending for first team all SEC or even 2nd team I would love to see them.

lamont
12-20-2016, 10:53 AM

No I did not- I said:

"The last 11 games will answer a lot of questions"

Later in the same thread:

"Mullen may turn this all around- that's why I keep saying we have to see how this season turns out"

Coach007
12-20-2016, 10:54 AM
So you want to argue that Danny Etling will be an NFL draft prospect and be a stud next year? .

Fitz is a better QB. Their ratings are close, but Fitz has the most upside.

Etling had 9 TDs, Fitz had 21.
Etling had 1900 yards, Fitz had 3500 yards.

When it comes down to it, it will be the defense of MSU. Any improvements and we are a 9 win team.

lamont
12-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Dude, no point in arguing with ignorance the guy has never admitted when he is wrong or made a poor prediction and loves to gloat when he is correct and say I told you so. He thinks he is Nick Saban Jr. Just learn to ignore him. He is wrong way more than he is correct.

BTW Danny Etling looks like a top QB prospect in the Draft and had a hell of an offensive season and AJ brown is never going to OM********************************

Either get better as a poster and stop making up shit or I'm gonna run ya. I never said Etling was going to be a high draft pick. I did say he would beat us- and he did. And he will next year if he remains their QB

Coach007
12-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Either get better as a poster and stop making up shit or I'm gonna run ya. I never said Etling was going to be a high draft pick. I did say he would beat us- and he did. And he will next year if he remains their QB

He didn't beat us. Our youth and inexperience beat us. Well here is ESPN saying the same thing

Mississippi State: The Bulldogs relatively youthful and inexperienced squad needs a little more maturity to beat the top teams in the SEC.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 11:07 AM

Seriously man you troll your own site and intentionally take an antagonistic viewpoint to increase traffic on here and then you threaten to ban posters that take your bait? Really dude? He's giving you exactly what you want. Without him you get a thread full of Todd sucking your balls. That maybe fun for you but for everyone else on the board except Todd it's ****iing god awful reading. First rule of being a master troll is to grow some thick skin.

BB30
12-20-2016, 11:12 AM

Etling didn't beat us, LSU beat us. And sorry if I upset you( I could have sworn you had mentioned Etling possibly being a pro prospect and improving every game he played)... It just seems like you post an awful lot of negative stuff about a team you support. The only positive stuff you actually talk about within our program is what is happening to Ole Miss. I understand driving clicks etc and if that is the end game then I get it. Just don't understand all of the I told you so posts... but to each their own. Duly noted and I will keep certain opinions to myself.

smootness
12-20-2016, 11:13 AM
So you want to argue that Danny Etling will be an NFL draft prospect and be a stud next year? We can make a friendly wager if you want. I was posting sarcasm due to some comments made by random of how terrific of a QB he is(he basically stated he is a better talent than any QB on our roster). And, the only reason Etling will be starting next year is due to the fact that their roster lacks a truly competent QB. I would not be surprised if he gets replaced at some point during the season. Feel free to save this post and throw it in my face when he has a good year haha. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, that is the point I was trying to make.

But, if you can post facts pointing to the fact that he will be a legit NFL candidate and have a great season possibly contending for first team all SEC or even 2nd team I would love to see them.

Oh ok, then your post just read weird to me. I thought you were directing that at Coach instead of Random, trying to say that we only kept it close because Etling is terrible.

BB30
12-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Oh ok, then your post just read weird to me. I thought you were directing that at Coach instead of Random, trying to say that we only kept it close because Etling is terrible.

Yea sorry, No, was not directed at coach.

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Show me one single post you disagreed with him about something. Ever.

That we should not support Cohen for bunting in the first inning that time this year.

lamont
12-20-2016, 12:03 PM
Seriously man you troll your own site and intentionally take an antagonistic viewpoint to increase traffic on here and then you threaten to ban posters that take your bait? Really dude? He's giving you exactly what you want. Without him you get a thread full of Todd sucking your balls. That maybe fun for you but for everyone else on the board except Todd it's ****iing god awful reading. First rule of being a master troll is to grow some thick skin.

All I ask is to be truthful about what I posted.

Thick
12-20-2016, 12:04 PM
My 2 cents....for us to be successsful next year with this schedule.

1) Defensively: Pressure on the QB is a must, period! We need big, physical, long CBs for coverage and run support. I could care less for our current safeties. The middle of the field, hash to hash, has been our weakest in pass D. We need physical safeties that punish ball carriers, and know where to be in coverage AND BE THERE!

2) Offensively: 3 OL that mesh with the 2 returners (mean and physical). Somebody's got to step up to replace Ross from productivity to leadership in that group. Of course, Fitz has to develop in the passing game, but he needs to take the leadership role of the offense. As he goes, so goes the offense. RBs need to just produce, but Aeris needs to be the man to lead this group. We need to rush for 2,500 plus yds as a team for us to be successful. We also need someone else to step up outside of Fitz and Aeris. Of course, the OL is the key!

3) The kicking game has got to produce points....sign a kicker Dan!

Our SEC schedule is tough, but I think we can win 7 with OM, UK as wins, and I think LSU and AR are toss ups. All of this depends on OL, drastic improvement in our defensive play, and near perfection in the kicking game (cannot leave points on the field).

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Eh I think Nick Saban would catch a break if we were coming off a National Championship win. Coaches look around it happens unfortunately, it happened a little more publicly then it should have. Here is the thing you have to look at...LSU had a job opening and you can say what you want but that is a top 10 job, our job does not compare to LSU and you can argue all day against that but it is just a fact. They had to settle for Orgeron, If Mullen had left or been fired like you wanted we would have made a RR type of hire or had to of taken a chance on another Coordinator. It worked out for us the first time, but you keep doing that and you will get burned. Most coordinators are not ready to jump to a HC gig and many struggle out of the gate even at premium jobs much less coming here where I would say our job might grade out as a B to B+ and that is best case.

With a bad hire our program could be set back another 10 years. We are not that far removed from being the cellar dweller in the entire SEC not just the West. I don't think you look at our Football job realistically. If and when a move is made we better sure as hell have someone ready to take the job before you make the move otherwise, we will be right back to where we were.

Mullen has had some glaring deficiencies as a coach but he is also very young when compared to his peers and has time to grow and improve. I do think he was looking to leave but it was going to have to be to an elite program and that opportunity didn't present itself. I think he realizes now that he will have to win big to have a chance to land a big time job and will be recommitted going forward. Everybody has an end game in any profession they are in and I really don't care if he plans to leave at some point for an elite job as long as he is busting his ass while he is here and leaves us in good position talent wise for the next coach. I would much rather him leave on his own accord after winning big here than us fire him and have to scrounge up the bottom of the barrel HC or an up and coming coordinator.

And the problem with hiring an up and coming coordinator is you will run into the same problem with success he will want to leave for a bigger job unless it is someone connected to our university like a John Cohen and I don't see many of those in the CFB coaching landscape.

Our fans are apparently completely scarred by Rick Ray to the point in paralyzes our thoughts.

Yes LSU is a better job than ours. But they also have to hire a coach that has won a NC and the SEC before plus has a lot higher expectations. No coach wants to be the guy that follows THE guy at a school like that. But look at Florida after Spurrier they had to settle for Zook for the same reason but then after that were able to get Urban because it's more attractive to follow a guy like Zook than Spurrier.

That's not us. Whoever replaces Dan will be going to a school with the most patient fans and the fans with by far the lowest expectations in the league. You can win 8 and our fans will be happy with you for the most part. If someone came in here and actually won a SEC championship the guy will be set for life. Hell, a lot of our fans are OK with just winning the Egg Bowl. So, we have a lot more upward mobility than most of the other SEC powers but we still pay top dollar for football coaches. That actually makes us more attractive because we don't have to deal with the Zook phase.

In all honesty our fans should expect more. And if you think I am going to sit around and watch anyone trot out a scatback and cost us two touchdowns per game and not say anything you're wrong. If you think I'm going to sit around and watch someone have a Country Club band of friends fart around when we could do better I'm going to say it too. That doesn't mean I want the guy fired immediately but those flaws will be made known on my end.

Back to Ray- Scott the cheerleader is gone. If we had a chance to get Jimbo Fisher back when we were 2-10 and about to go on probation I think we will find someone decent if we did by extremely unlikely chance fire Dan after the bowl game. Much less whenever he does actually leave which won't be after the bowl game.

lamont
12-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Etling didn't beat us, LSU beat us. And sorry if I upset you( I could have sworn you had mentioned Etling possibly being a pro prospect and improving every game he played)... It just seems like you post an awful lot of negative stuff about a team you support. The only positive stuff you actually talk about within our program is what is happening to Ole Miss. I understand driving clicks etc and if that is the end game then I get it. Just don't understand all of the I told you so posts... but to each their own. Duly noted and I will keep certain opinions to myself.

I post a lot of positive stuff.

I love our QB and the A-Train
I thought we did well in the early signing period
I love our basketball team even with the youth- will be exciting watching their growth on the way to their Sweet 16 run in 2018.
I think we will be very good in baseball and think our new coach will be even better than our previous coach

smootness
12-20-2016, 12:19 PM
I post a lot of positive stuff.

I love our QB and the A-Train
I thought we did well in the early signing period
I love our basketball team even with the youth- will be exciting watching their growth on the way to their Sweet 16 run in 2018.
I think we will be very good in baseball and think our new coach will be even better than our previous coach

You pretty much never post this stuff. You may think it and say it every once in a while, but yes, 90+% of your posts are on the things you don't like. I get it in terms of clicks, but it's the truth.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2016, 12:20 PM

1) Defensively: Pressure on the QB is a must, period! We need big, physical, long CBs for coverage and run support. I could care less for our current safeties. The middle of the field, hash to hash, has been our weakest in pass D. We need physical safeties that punish ball carriers, and know where to be in coverage AND BE THERE!

2) Offensively: 3 OL that mesh with the 2 returners (mean and physical). Somebody's got to step up to replace Ross from productivity to leadership in that group. Of course, Fitz has to develop in the passing game, but he needs to take the leadership role of the offense. As he goes, so goes the offense. RBs need to just produce, but Aeris needs to be the man to lead this group. We need to rush for 2,500 plus yds as a team for us to be successful. We also need someone else to step up outside of Fitz and Aeris. Of course, the OL is the key!

Our SEC schedule is tough, but I think we can win 7 with OM, UK as wins, and I think LSU and AR are toss ups. All of this depends on OL, drastic improvement in our defensive play, and near perfection in the kicking game (cannot leave points on the field).

We're basically replacing Ross with Couch/Todd so there's going to be a step back there. I look at 2018 as a better chance to make a run. We should return almost everyone of note on offense except for Rankin and Gray. And Defensively, everyone should be back. We also have the better schedule with Bama and LSU on the road and our swing games at home. Just need to find some Wide Receivers, a Corner and another Offensive Tackle, damn it.

smootness
12-20-2016, 12:30 PM
We're basically replacing Ross with Couch/Todd so there's going to be a step back there. I look at 2018 as a better chance to make a run. We should return almost everyone of note on offense except for Rankin and Gray. And Defensively, everyone should be back. We also have the better schedule with Bama and LSU on the road and our swing games at home. Just need to find some Wide Receivers, a Corner and another Offensive Tackle, damn it.

I agree with this, and I think Coach would as well.

The question defensively is going to be whether or not guys like Lewis and Peters progress to the point that they have a chance to leave early. But while Rankin leaves, every other OL will return. Fitzgerald and Williams should be back (and if Williams leaves, I think Hill/Gibson/Whoever will be fine at RB). Gray leaves, which will hurt, but hopefully some guys step up next year. I would hope Couch and Todd have developed by then, and we'll have plenty of slot guys along with Heath coming in.

Defensively, we'll have all this year's JUCOs in a 2nd year along with Simmons, Lewis, Peters, Adams, Thomas, McLaurin, Green, Bryant, Dantzler, Kobe Jones, etc. all coming back (barring early departures) with at least some experience. And most will have a ton of experience.

Coach007
12-20-2016, 12:37 PM

We do need more pressure on the QB. Our DBs will be the most improved part of our team.

OL depth was decent and we add alot.
WR... we have not had an issue under Mullen with Wrs.
Qb.. the only issue here would be an injury
Rushing... we rushed for 2800

100% truth

Defense is the key to winning 9 and contending against Bama

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 12:44 PM

The question defensively is going to be whether or not guys like Lewis and Peters progress to the point that they have a chance to leave early. But while Rankin leaves, every other OL will return. Fitzgerald and Williams should be back (and if Williams leaves, I think Hill/Gibson/Whoever will be fine at RB). Gray leaves, which will hurt, but hopefully some guys step up next year. I would hope Couch and Todd have developed by then, and we'll have plenty of slot guys along with Heath coming in.

Defensively, we'll have all this year's JUCOs in a 2nd year along with Simmons, Lewis, Peters, Adams, Thomas, McLaurin, Green, Bryant, Dantzler, Kobe Jones, etc. all coming back (barring early departures) with at least some experience. And most will have a ton of experience.

I can see 2018 being a big year. I'd be surprised if Peters and Leo leave after next year but we'll see. They may progress a lot between now and then. I think we will definitely have apt fewer question marks going into 2018 than we do now plus a lot more experimence and better length on the outside at WR.

Coach007
12-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Yes I do.

One thing that concerns some that does not concern me is the WRs. Under Mullen this hasn't been an issue. I believe 4 out of the top 5 WRs at MSU have been under Mullen. We have one guy that personally I hope we offer. 6'3 215 and runs in the 4.3s

lamont
12-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Agree with Hoops- we will be better in 2018 than 2017

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 12:50 PM

Oh man the internet will die that day. Can't wait! Coastfart, SteakGiverAwayer and Gravedigger better cut their internet off for a month. Stansbury might check into a hospital for depression.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 02:45 PM
You pretty much never post this stuff. You may think it and say it every once in a while, but yes, 90+% of your posts are on the things you don't like. I get it in terms of clicks, but it's the truth.

Be careful, you may get the axe for that

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 02:47 PM
As far as OP, I think it's pretty ridiculous to expect us to win enough of those road games to actually compete for anything meaningful. I expect better than 5-7 cause, really, fan the defense get any worse? And nick and Aeries should contunue to put up points. I doubt we will lose many games in the SEC if we score 45-50 like we did this year, and I think our offense will be just as good if not better. But thinking we will compete for the playoffs is really............. optimistic.