PDA

View Full Version : Random Poster's Sunday Morning QB- UMass Edition

lamont
09-25-2016, 11:18 AM
1. We allowed the worst offense in the country to get over 400 yards of offense against us. We allowed the worst offense in the country to get 35 points. We allowed the worst rushing team in the country to average 5 ypc against us. They averaged 13 1st downs coming in- got 22 yesterday.

2. We were losing 14-13 at halftime to UMass. They scored more against us than they did against Boston College and Fla International combined.

3. Our 1st 5 drives were 3 punts, a fumble, and a FG. Against UMASS.

4. We threw some quicker routes with easier reads for Fitz in the 2nd half- that helped a great deal. Its going to be alot harder to do that vs Auburn. He is struggling to make reads down the field. He is just inexperienced and its going to take awhile. With Auburn's DL forcing him to make quicker decisions- we better gameplan well.

5. We were in a shootout with UMASS yesterday. I just cant get over that.

6. We played 25 guys on defense yesterday- so take out of that what you will. Deandre Ward was around the ball alot. We scored a TD on defense- so thats a positive. But 35 points to UMass. Wow

7. You got an eyeful of Martinas Rankin yesterday. When you watch our OL against Auburn's DL- remember that we lose 3 of those 5 guys for next year.

8. Tweet of the day- "Bold move to come out dressed like the Patriots but play like the Browns"

9. Auburn gets to build more confidence against La-Monroe before coming into Sville. We get the week off to prepare. Auburn is a better football team then we are- but it will be their 1st road game of the season. They are limited offensively- but so was UMass. After Auburn, we turn around in 6 days to travel to BYU. Critical 3 weeks for us and our bowl streak.

10. Welcome back Malik Dear. 3 catches yesterday. Would rather them throw to you than watch Gabe Myles drop more passes. Myles needs to get it together.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Rando,

What can/should our coaches do in the next 2 weeks to make this team better?

What would be your list of priorities to address?

BeastMan
09-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Sums my feelings up perfectly. The only thing I'd add is a more hardline stance on Gabe Myles. Good kid, local kid, legacy, yada yada etc etc... All that said, this is SEC CFB. He should not touch the field again unless we have so many injuries we have to. To play WR in CFB, you have to catch the football. He cannot catch, therefore he should not play a snap. Give me Dear, Thomas, & Mixon.

HSVDawg
09-25-2016, 12:31 PM
I still don't think there is a lick of difference between us, Auburn, and LSU. We may all finish tied for last in the west. Anyone that didn't see a letdown game coming yesterday wasn't paying attention. Scrappy team that played UF tough for a while in Gainesville, game in a pretty much empty stadium / dead atmosphere, all the ingredients were there. We did what we had to do to get the W. After the way we started the year, it could have been worse. I think we'll be OK against Auburn in 2 weeks.

GreenheadDawg
09-25-2016, 12:37 PM
I still don't think there is a lick of difference between us, Auburn, and LSU. We may all finish tied for last in the west. Anyone that didn't see a letdown game coming yesterday wasn't paying attention. Scrappy team that played UF tough for a while in Gainesville, game in a pretty much empty stadium / dead atmosphere, all the ingredients were there. We did what we had to do to get the W. After the way we started the year, it could have been worse. I think we'll be OK against Auburn in 2 weeks.

Wow. I'm at a loss for words

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 12:40 PM
I know we let it happen because of busted assignment on UMASS first TD run of 83 yards but the rest of the game we held them to a little less than 2 yards per carry. That is excellant rush defense

Sacrifice
09-25-2016, 12:40 PM
If we don't establish some type of productive running game against these SEC defenses. I don't see us winning many games in the west.
Fitz isn't ready to beat teams with his arm alone yet. He needs some production from the RBs

HSVDawg
09-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Wow. I'm at a loss for words

I'm sorry my post didn't fit in with the "sky is falling" theme from the past 24 hours. Florida, the number 19 team in the nation, struggled with UMass well into the 3rd quarter AT HOME just like we did. They went on to win by 17. We won by 12 on the road. There's really no difference there. We played LSU to within 3 in Baton Rouge despite terrible officiating helping LSU put more points on the board. LSU / Auburn looked exactly like what everyone expected, two mediocre football teams with terrible coaches both trying to hang on for dear life and nobody stepping up to make plays for either side except Auburn's kicker. We aren't worldbeaters but we are likely going to at least get to 6 wins if we continue to to progress on some level. Honestly it's like that would be the worst case scenario for a lot of people on here because they've already mentally committed to the "fire Mullen" camp after the USA loss and don't want us to win enough to keep him.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-25-2016, 12:50 PM
THE SHITTER'S FULL OF DANNY BOY!! We all know Dan ain't gonna do nothing! Here's to a long ass season!!

SDDawg
09-25-2016, 12:54 PM
THE SHITTER'S FULL OF DANNY BOY!! We all know Dan ain't gonna do nothing! Here's to a long ass season!!

Sup troll.

SDDawg
09-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Can't argue on the defense- the offense wasn't as surprising but I have no idea what we're doing on defense right now. I can't find a positive from yesterday. We have some guys that looked great last year that barely show up anymore or are constantly getting beat. No clue.

SDDawg
09-25-2016, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry my post didn't fit in with the "sky is falling" theme from the past 24 hours. Florida, the number 19 team in the nation, struggled with UMass well into the 3rd quarter AT HOME just like we did. They went on to win by 17. We won by 12 on the road. There's really no difference there. We played LSU to within 3 in Baton Rouge despite terrible officiating helping LSU put more points on the board. LSU / Auburn looked exactly like what everyone expected, two mediocre football teams with terrible coaches both trying to hang on for dear life and nobody stepping up to make plays for either side except Auburn's kicker. We aren't worldbeaters but we are likely going to at least get to 6 wins if we continue to to progress on some level. Honestly it's like that would be the worst case scenario for a lot of people on here because they've already mentally committed to the "fire Mullen" camp after the USA loss and don't want us to win enough to keep him.

You may be right, but those teams don't look as lost as we do imo. Our team just looks bad most of the time. Out of sorts.

GreenheadDawg
09-25-2016, 01:03 PM
You may be right, but those teams don't look as lost as we do imo. Our team just looks bad most of the time. Out of sorts.

I think unprepared is the word you are looking for.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Sup troll.
Doing just fine and you ?? SO are you enjoying this Year so far ? Because what I'm seeing is a Coach who will not make a change other than firing or running off a defensive coaching staff every year..

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Lot of that is lack of execution. The OL was really bad in the first half but as bad as we looked we put up 600 yards (300 in the first half so we were getting yards all game) and 47 points. For comparison, Florida put up 24 points and just 363 yards for the game

SDDawg
09-25-2016, 01:12 PM
I think unprepared is the word you are looking for.

Unprepared and in a few spots unfortunately, incapable.

SDDawg
09-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Lot of that is lack of execution. The OL was really bad in the first half but as bad as we looked we put up 600 yards (300 in the first half so we were getting yards all game) and 47 points. For comparison, Florida put up 24 points and just 363 yards for the game

I don't have a huge issue with the offense. Tons of drops still too, but overall it was ok. We look lost on defense to me. Richie Brown has disappeared, Brandon Bryant gets beat too often, etc. I'd feel a lot better if the defense had showed up in the second half.

lamont
09-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Rando,

What can/should our coaches do in the next 2 weeks to make this team better?

What would be your list of priorities to address?

1st two days- get plenty of reps for everyone doing the basics
Wed and Thursday- start working on some things you plan to implement vs Auburn
Friday- quick run thru then have younger guys getting very little playing time scrimmage for about 40 plays

Shorten practice all week to keep fresh and coaches can spend a little extra time recruiting

Take off Saturday
Lots of film work on Sunday
Monday- begin normal game prep

mic
09-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Friday- quick run thru then have younger guys getting very little playing time scrimmage for about 40 plays

Shorten practice all week to keep fresh and coaches can spend a little extra time recruiting

Take off Saturday

I bet the #CCB give them Friday and Sat off...

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 01:30 PM
I don't have a huge issue with the offense. Tons of drops still too, but overall it was ok. We look lost on defense to me. Richie Brown has disappeared, Brandon Bryant gets beat too often, etc. I'd feel a lot better if the defense had showed up in the second half.

Yeah the drops have hurt. One WR didn't play as much or get targeted any the second half.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Guys that are playing well on D - Ward, Leo, Cory Thomas, Jefferson, Simmons, Nelson Adams

Guys that need to pick it up on D - Gerri Green, Nick James, Gray, Bryant, Richie Brown, Peters

Guys that are showing improvement on D - Graham, McLaurin, Durr

DudyDawg
09-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Calvin had a good game yesterday too. He can make plays

Quaoarsking
09-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Was yesterday really any different than our 47-34 win over UAB in 2014, which also caused a meltdown here?

Goldendawg
09-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Except for Jefferson, our DL got very little pressure on their QB. was their OL that good or was our D scheme that questionable?

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Was yesterday really any different than our 47-34 win over UAB in 2014, which also caused a meltdown here?

Yeah- it turned out that concerns over our secondary and use of 1A/1B turned out to be unfounded in 2014.**

Dawgowar
09-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Except for Jefferson, our DL got very little pressure on their QB. was their OL that good or was our D scheme that questionable?

Our HC has hired a defensive staff that is not getting it done. We will compensate for this by not recruiting very well or aggressively

If the offense could have scored 24 points each of the first 3 games we would be
4-0 ...

Goldendawg
09-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Hey, a new D staff every year is SOP. That is no excuse in year 8!

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 01:53 PM

Take off Saturday

Dan?s week:
Sunday- team gets day off, Talk to agent about Penn State job and how I can get these rednecks to give me another million.
Monday- team gets day off, Train for Boston Marathon
Tuesday- Practice followed by planning for European vacation during Big Dawg Camp.
Weds- Shortened practice, go shop at Deep South Pout with Megan.
Thurs.- Team gets off, shop for Yeezeys.
Fri.- Team gets off, oh shit maybe I should get the helicopter out and go recruit Caledonia.
Sat.- Team gets off, train for Boston Marathon.

Goldendawg
09-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Todd, don't forget golf with the O coaches.

RougeDawg
09-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Todd, don't forget golf with the O coaches.

And more time to prepare for next years Boston Marathon.

dawgday166
09-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Dan?s week:
Sunday- team gets day off, Talk to agent about Penn State job and how I can get these rednecks to give me another million.
Monday- team gets day off, Train for Boston Marathon
Tuesday- Practice followed by planning for European vacation during Big Dawg Camp.
Weds- Shortened practice, go shop at Deep South Pout with Megan.
Thurs.- Team gets off, shop for Yeezeys.
Fri.- Team gets off, oh shit maybe I should get the helicopter out and go recruit Caledonia.
Sat.- Team gets off, train for Boston Marathon.

Loved this .. cracked me up.

DudyDawg
09-25-2016, 02:02 PM

Yes, we didn't lose to southern miss week 1

RougeDawg
09-25-2016, 02:03 PM
One thing I did see yesterday was DB's in better position to make plays on the ball. We were around the ball on just about every reception including the TD's. What gets me is out inability or lack of effort to dislodge the ball any way possible when the WR puts his hands on it. One TD in particular I thought Bryant could have dove toward the WR and punched the ball from his hands before he had possession. Instead he just looked at the catch right beside him and put his head down. A couple other TD's we were there fighting for the ball, but we need to just pull one of their f*cking hands off of the ball so they cannot catch it at minimum.

Although I only played football through high school, and played LB, I never let anyone hang on to a pass if I was close enough to either bat it down or grab one of their arms after they had two hands on it. Inexcusable but maybe these kids cannot grasp these simple concepts.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 02:34 PM
One thing I did see yesterday was DB's in better position to make plays on the ball. We were around the ball on just about every reception including the TD's. What gets me is out inability or lack of effort to dislodge the ball any way possible when the WR puts his hands on it. One TD in particular I thought Bryant could have dove toward the WR and punched the ball from his hands before he had possession. Instead he just looked at the catch right beside him and put his head down. A couple other TD's we were there fighting for the ball, but we need to just pull one of their f*cking hands off of the ball so they cannot catch it at minimum.

Although I only played football through high school, and played LB, I never let anyone hang on to a pass if I was close enough to either bat it down or grab one of their arms after they had two hands on it. Inexcusable but maybe these kids cannot grasp these simple concepts.

I agree with that. Durr has had a good year until yesterday as well. But he was in position a couple of times and just didn't dislodge the ball. Seems like they are always trying for the pick instead of knocking the ball down at times as well. Smokey looked a little better as the game went on. Peters also lost a jump ball that he was in good position on. So it seems they are picking up the coaching a little better as far as position at times

msstate7
09-25-2016, 03:08 PM
Sums my feelings up perfectly. The only thing I'd add is a more hardline stance on Gabe Myles. Good kid, local kid, legacy, yada yada etc etc... All that said, this is SEC CFB. He should not touch the field again unless we have so many injuries we have to. To play WR in CFB, you have to catch the football. He cannot catch, therefore he should not play a snap. Give me Dear, Thomas, & Mixon.

No problem with sitting Myles... he deserves it. Richie brown is even more deserving though. Richie has been abysmal this season... always a second late, whiffing on tackles, and just plain not getting guys down without giving up another yard.

Right now Richie is terrible on the inside and Gerri green is not playing well outside. Move Gerri in richie's spot and we get more speed, size, and stopping power

WSOPdawg
09-25-2016, 03:26 PM
No problem with sitting Myles... he deserves it. Richie brown is even more deserving though. Richie has been abysmal this season... always a second late, whiffing on tackles, and just plan not getting guys down without giving up another yard.

Right now Richie is terrible on the inside and Gerri green is not playing well outside. Move Gerri in richie's spot and we get more speed, size, and stopping power

I honestly thought after watching ALL of Miles' drops in the 1st half that he was intentionally doing this so as to get Damian on the field in place of Fitz. Reviewing game film should make the coaches ask WTF??? and call Miles out. Put him on the bench cuz we got others who are hungry enough for PT.

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 03:28 PM
I honestly thought after watching ALL of Miles' drops in the 1st half that he was intentionally doing this so as to get Damian on the field in place of Fitz. Reviewing game film should make the coaches ask WTF??? and call Miles out. Put him on the bench cuz we got others who are hungry enough of PT.

It would be hard to do that without it being obvious. If that's true it backfired because the coaches just took Myles out and still played Fitzgerald.

tcdog70
09-25-2016, 03:33 PM
The two glaring problems on defense. The inability to hit the QB. We don't have to sack Him but we need to hit Him. No sacks against UMass, that is just shitty. The other problem is we cannot cover a TE. Could we please jam the TE instead of letting Him just run free. Our a blitz scheme sucks and Our DL never slant or stunt.

sleepy dawg
09-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Myles shouldn't even be on the field anymore. He has had more drops already than anyone should have in a season or 2.

Political Hack
09-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Things are toxic. Change-is-a-comin.'

dawg27
09-25-2016, 05:59 PM

Big difference we beat uab, we lost to usa this year, we have played four games 3 of them we only scored 2 tds in each of them. The team in 2014 showed showed heart and fight, this team seems to me that they are just going with the flow. 2014 the team looked like they was afraid of nobody would fight till the end, i may be wrong but this team seems like they cant wait till the clock to hit zeors.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Big difference we beat uab, we lost to usa this year, we have played four games 3 of them we only scored 2 tds in each of them. The team in 2014 showed showed heart and fight, this team seems to me that they are just going with the flow. 2014 the team looked like they was afraid of nobody would fight till the end, i may be wrong but this team seems like they cant wait till the clock to hit zeors.

I think a lot of the perception has to do with Dak already having starting experience in 2013 vs Fitz who is learning in the midst of a transition year like Dak did in 2013

dawg27
09-25-2016, 06:34 PM
I think a lot of the perception has to do with Dak already having starting experience in 2013 vs Fitz who is learning in the midst of a transition year like Dak did in 2013

Good point, but do u think that in year 8 we should have this much of a drop off .Man i am not trying to be the sky is falling kinda guy, but in year 8 we should be better than this crap we putting on the field. I mean we going to struggle to get 6 wins, i am really wondering we will see 6.

bulldawg28
09-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Guys that are playing well on D - Ward, Leo, Cory Thomas, Jefferson, Simmons, Nelson Adams

Guys that need to pick it up on D - Gerri Green, Nick James, Gray, Bryant, Richie Brown, Peters

Guys that are showing improvement on D - Graham, McLaurin, Durr

I like this overview. Here's my take on some of the defensive players.
Nick James-should be benched and play short yardage only our short period to relieve others.

Richie Brown- should be benched or moved to the outside. He is not an inside LB. He relies solely on speed and would rather tackle a WR or Qb rather than an SEC Rb. He plays scared.

B.Bryant-should be moved to corner

Coman- should have been benched 10 years ago and should never play anything but special teams

Peters- should stay on the field as much as possible and allowed to work through small mistakes. He's too talented not to be on the field.

Smitherman- should play more

Jung- should play more

D Ward- should play less

Simmons- should play more

McLaurin-should play more to get more comfortable and plays will start happening for him. He needs to be moved closer to the line of scrimmage. Playing deep he seems uncomfortable.

Green- needs to put his have down and rush the passer. He's shown no physical plays at LB.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Good point, but do u think that in year 8 we should have this much of a drop off .Man i am not trying to be the sky is falling kinda guy, but in year 8 we should be better than this crap we putting on the field. I mean we going to struggle to get 6 wins, i am really wondering we will see 6.

The year 8 thing is arbitray and really doesn't have a bearing. Many good coaches have had arbitrary down years at different points relative to the school's history. Bear Bryant had back to back years after winning national titles that if it had happened today he probably doesn't survive for his 70's run. Devaney had the same thing in his 6 & 7 years before his back to back titles a few years later. There are those they never bounce back or only balance back to the school's historic norm. And no matte what anyone says right now, until the history is finished we have no clue how it will play out. What we do know is that studies show that the idea of change for the sake of change doesn't work. If you are an historic average or below average school you normally drop back down to at max you historic average. It has to play out this year and we can get a better picture of what we need to do. But the team is not close to quitting on the coaches and that is one of the biggest measuring sticks and almost a must to fire a coach in one year. Here is an article about a study done a few years ago. The actual study is can't find right now on a free site. I used to have it saved to my old computer but lost it.

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/uc-boulder-study-losing-coaches/

Homedawg
09-25-2016, 07:30 PM
I like this overview. Here's my take on some of the defensive players.
Nick James-should be benched and play short yardage only our short period to relieve others.

Richie Brown- should be benched or moved to the outside. He is not an inside LB. He relies solely on speed and would rather tackle a WR or Qb rather than an SEC Rb. He plays scared.

B.Bryant-should be moved to corner

Coman- should have been benched 10 years ago and should never play anything but special teams

Peters- should stay on the field as much as possible and allowed to work through small mistakes. He's too talented not to be on the field.

Smitherman- should play more

Jung- should play more

D Ward- should play less

Simmons- should play more

McLaurin-should play more to get more comfortable and plays will start happening for him. He needs to be moved closer to the line of scrimmage. Playing deep he seems uncomfortable.

Green- needs to put his have down and rush the passer. He's shown no physical plays at LB.
Almost this entire post was absurd. More peters? He's been awful. And I know ward wasn't a recruit but he's been better than the people you actually want on the field! Jung? He can run, but that's it. Can't tackle and got sealed yesterday on Td run. Bryant at corner??? Wow. Just wow. I could keep going but I'll stop. We aren't good and that isn't going to change, but your supposed fixes makes us worse, not better for the most part.

gtowndawg
09-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Things are toxic. Change-is-a-comin.'

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention. Care to elaborate?

lamont
09-25-2016, 10:19 PM
As bad as Bulldawg28's post was- I do agree with one. Green should be a DE with his hand on the ground. He will make money in life if that happens

bulldawg28
09-25-2016, 10:28 PM
Almost this entire post was absurd. More peters? He's been awful. And I know ward wasn't a recruit but he's been better than the people you actually want on the field! Jung? He can run, but that's it. Can't tackle and got sealed yesterday on Td run. Bryant at corner??? Wow. Just wow. I could keep going but I'll stop. We aren't good and that isn't going to change, but your supposed fixes makes us worse, not better for the most part.

Gotcha.
So a 4.2 5'10 195 safety can't play corner? He's a corner in any other system other than MSU. Peters is the ONLY corner with an competitive INT and is a complete DB. Who else can do what he's capable of with his intangibles? Also, where has Peters been awful? Are you referring to one catch for a touchdown? That's less than any other corner on the field. And the guy didn't have complete possession with that catch.

The same for Jung. He nor Gray played 5 snaps yesterday. You bring up a supposed being hooked for a touchdown. So what's your excuse for Whiff man Richie? If one play deems players trash.

bulldawg28
09-25-2016, 10:29 PM
As bad as Bulldawg28's post was- I do agree with one. Green should be a DE with his hand on the ground. He will make money in life if that happens

Or as bad as your off week overview was.

dawg27
09-25-2016, 10:38 PM
The year 8 thing is arbitray and really doesn't have a bearing. Many good coaches have had arbitrary down years at different points relative to the school's history. Bear Bryant had back to back years after winning national titles that if it had happened today he probably doesn't survive for his 70's run. Devaney had the same thing in his 6 & 7 years before his back to back titles a few years later. There are those they never bounce back or only balance back to the school's historic norm. And no matte what anyone says right now, until the history is finished we have no clue how it will play out. What we do know is that studies show that the idea of change for the sake of change doesn't work. If you are an historic average or below average school you normally drop back down to at max you historic average. It has to play out this year and we can get a better picture of what we need to do. But the team is not close to quitting on the coaches and that is one of the biggest measuring sticks and almost a must to fire a coach in one year. Here is an article about a study done a few years ago. The actual study is can't find right now on a free site. I used to have it saved to my old computer but lost it.

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/uc-boulder-study-losing-coaches/

Man u make a good point about that, very good post, i am just a frustrated fan i knew this was going to be a down year, but i thought we was going to look better than this.I hope more than anybody we can pull this together.

archdog
09-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Note to self, knock pass away in the end zone is allowed.