PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain the time clock issue for the LSU - AU game for me?

Joe Schmedlap
09-25-2016, 10:22 AM
I didn't understand that at all. With the penalty on LSU in the next to last play, shouldn't there have been a 10 second run off. If so, that would have taken the clock to zero so there should have been no last play. Amirite or wrong?

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 10:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkaHDrn79Xc

archdog
09-25-2016, 10:27 AM
I am sure the video got it right, but the live ball foul shouldn't matter, because it gave the offense an advantage without a timeout.

Joe Schmedlap
09-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks. Great explanation - much appreciated.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 11:07 AM
This is the rule change for this year:

Under most circumstances, if the game clock is stopped because of a penalty, it starts when the referee gives the "ready-for-play" signal after completing the penalty. This year, the committee passed a rule that takes effect inside two minutes in the half. This new rule requires that the clock be started on the snap if the team ahead in the score commits a foul. Under the current rule, the clock would be started on the ready-for-play signal, allowing the fouling team the chance to gain a time advantage by running perhaps 20 or more seconds off the game clock. The new rule prevents this.

TUSK
09-25-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm dunno as to what the rules are given "clock runoff", but I can certainly explain the disorganization and lack of clock management...