PDA

View Full Version : Fitzgerald is getting better.......

Taog Redloh
09-25-2016, 07:09 AM
Drops are decreasing, poise is getting better, throws are getting more accurate. I think too many people wrote him off way too early. Dak was pretty shitty throwing the ball his redshirt sophomore year too (2013), so there's that. Visions of Tubby running wide open across the middle of the field at Auburn continue to haunt me. Not sure what we are going to do against Auburn's defense in two weeks, but Mullen has 2 weeks to come up with it.

Another note. Collin Klein (Fitzgerald's 2 star twin) did not even start until his redshirt junior year.

Dawgface
09-25-2016, 07:24 AM
He looked a lot better. Some passes needed a little more touch on them. But he made a nice step forward.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Sure Did but he's got to take another big step in the right direction against a very good auburn defense in two weeks! Win that game and the team,fans,Coaches all look alot better!

BeastMan
09-25-2016, 08:00 AM
He's so inaccurate, it's painful to watch. He stares down receivers and has a total lack of pocket awareness. He looked much better in the 2nd half but we're talking about UMass. If he plays like that in SEC games, the game is over at half.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 08:02 AM
Agree. We'd be ecstatic with Fitz 5 years ago, but when you have an NFL QB you tend to get spoiled

MetEdDawg
09-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Yeah I think sometimes we forget he's a sophomore. He's got a lot of growing left to do.

basedog
09-25-2016, 08:16 AM
He's so inaccurate, it's painful to watch. He stares down receivers and has a total lack of pocket awareness. He looked much better in the 2nd half but we're talking about UMass. If he plays like that in SEC games, the game is over at half.

He is showing improvement.
Played very well in the second half.
Have to have patience as he has started 4 games but only two series against South Ala.
Myles dropped two passes, Fitz was clutch in the 4th quarter.
For the first time this year, Fitz showed leadership and enthusiasm, I was glad to see it.

Fitz will only get better and our offensive line is improving and getting better.

I've been pretty hard on Fitz, but he seemed to turn it around as well as turn it own yesterday. He has much talent, raw but before his career is over he will be a force.

confucius say
09-25-2016, 08:32 AM
He is improving. And gaining confidence. I wouldn't trade him for any of the qbs we have played against ( best we have faced is umass qb)

Would help if our receivers would stop dropping passes

Jack Lambert
09-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Yeah I think sometimes we forget he's a sophomore. He's got a lot of growing left to do.

Go back and watched Dak in 2013 and there is not much difference.

Nicks second half was great. Too many passes dropped in the 1st. I think he was 3 for 10 at one point.

Off Subject I have noticed our Corners are not getting beat deep. The TD catches were well defended. The WR just made great catches.

BeastMan
09-25-2016, 08:40 AM
You cannot look like what he did in the first half. Worst QB play I've seen under Mullen. The 2nd half is what he's supposed to look like vs UMass. If he plays well in 2 weeks vs Auburn, that will show us something. UMass is a 4-year composite recruiting rankings of 100.25. They aren't a freaking top 100 recruiter. I realize sunshine feels better but mother of god, that was a horrible football team. I'll stop short of singing Fitz's praises until he looks serviceable against a decent team.

BeastMan
09-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Go back and watched Dak in 2013 and there is not much difference.

Nicks second half was great. Too many passes dropped in the 1st. I think he was 3 for 10 at one point.

Off Subject I have noticed our Corners are not getting beat deep. The TD catches were well defended. The WR just made great catches.

You're off your rocker if you think there "wasn't much difference". Dak's first career start he went 15/28 for 213 yards 0/0 and 133 rushing yards (2 TDs) on the road at Auburn vs the #2 team in the country. Dak sure wasn't perfect, especially as a passer, but if you think we're seeing similar players I don't know what to tell you.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 08:48 AM
You cannot look like what he did in the first half. Worst QB play I've seen under Mullen. The 2nd half is what he's supposed to look like vs UMass. If he plays well in 2 weeks vs Auburn, that will show us something. UMass is a 4-year composite recruiting rankings of 100.25. They aren't a freaking top 100 recruiter. I realize sunshine feels better but mother of god, that was a horrible football team. I'll stop short of singing Fitz's praises until he looks serviceable against a decent team.

OP said fitz was getting better... not really sure how you can dispute that. I missed where OP was "singing praises".

basedog
09-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Sunshine is always better than the darkness, I'll take the good over the bad every time. Say what you want but it wasn't all Fitz's fault in the first half. Played very well, we won and his stats were great. Like I said earlier I have been hard on Fitz, but I played QB, I know as you get more experience the game slows down for you. This happened yesterday and I don't care who it was against, he made plays and that is what counts.

BeastMan
09-25-2016, 08:54 AM
OP said fitz was getting better... not really sure how you can dispute that. I missed where OP was "singing praises".

What I'm saying is UMass shouldn't be your measuring stick for getting better. They are terrible. If Fitz makes plays vs Auburn in 2 weeks, that will be a better judge of improvement.

basedog
09-25-2016, 08:55 AM
What I'm saying is UMass shouldn't be your measuring stick for getting better. They are terrible. If Fitz makes plays vs Auburn in 2 weeks, that will be a better judge of improvement.

You get better with practice, especially game experience.

Schultzy
09-25-2016, 08:57 AM
He runs it well, I wish he would keep it more.

A third year sophomore should have mastered the swing pass by now.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 09:02 AM
You're off your rocker if you think there "wasn't much difference". Dak's first career start he went 15/28 for 213 yards 0/0 and 133 rushing yards (2 TDs) on the road at Auburn vs the #2 team in the country. Dak sure wasn't perfect, especially as a passer, but if you think we're seeing similar players I don't know what to tell you.

Dak certainly played well in that game, but he also missed some easy throws including the one to tubby that would've iced the game. Type of things young qb's do. Oh and where did that mighty auburn defense finish in rankings that year...

12th in sec total defense (87th nationally)
13th in sec passing defense (102nd nationally)

I'm not meaning this post as a knock on dak... dak is our best qb ever and I doubt seriously fitz changes that. I'm just saying don't write off fitz yet

Jack Lambert
09-25-2016, 09:09 AM

Well then you don't know what to tell me. Fitz is only a Sophomore and he will get better just like Dak got better. Will Fitz be the second coming of Dak, I am not saying he will or he won't unlike you I don't know the future.

BeastMan
09-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Dak certainly played well in that game, but he also missed some easy throws including the one to tubby that would've iced the game. Type of things young qb's do. Oh and where did that mighty auburn defense finish in rankings that year...

12th in sec total defense (87th nationally)
13th in sec passing defense (102nd nationally)

I'm not meaning this post as a knock on dak... dak is our best qb ever and I doubt seriously fitz changes that. I'm just saying don't write off fitz yet

You do realize Jordan Hare had 90k and was incredibly loud? That environment was much tougher. Also, I don't care what those rankings say, Auburn was an exponentially better defense than UMass.

coastratdog
09-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Fitz is not the offenses problem. The problems are;

1. OL is slow, weak and poorly coached
2. O scheme is not using his option running ability enough
3. Receivers gave taken a step backwards from last year. Too many drops. They need to help him out.

Cowboydawg
09-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Nobody is saying Fitz is or will be better than Dak. Fact is Dak made some terrible throws, bad reads and had similar struggles his redshirt sophomore year. The fact that he barely completed 50% of his passes against what turned out to be a bad Auburn defense actually proves the point. He was a better runner than passer and he ended his career a better passer. Yes it was Umass but Fitz will gain confidence from this game and you could even see a confidence difference in the second half.

mic
09-25-2016, 09:23 AM
I don't care about his stats from sat , the biggest thing he did sat was show leadership.. He looked engaged with the other players.. We need the locker room and the players on the same page..
Hopefully this off week the offensive guys start to rally around him and he continues to grow up

Jack Lambert
09-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Nobody is saying Fitz is or will be better than Dak. Fact is Dak made some terrible throws, bad reads and had similar struggles his redshirt sophomore year. The fact that he barely completed 50% of his passes against what turned out to be a bad Auburn defense actually proves the point. He was a better runner than passer and he ended his career a better passer. Yes it was Umass but Fitz will gain confidence from this game and you could even see a confidence difference in the second half.

I will say this, Fitz physically has every thing Dak has and maybe more but rather or not Fitz has the head, smarts and the drive to be the best that Dak has I don't know.

Cowboydawg
09-25-2016, 09:25 AM
You do realize Jordan Hare had 90k and was incredibly loud? That environment was much tougher. Also, I don't care what those rankings say, Auburn was an exponentially better defense than UMass.

True and Fitz had a much better game than Dak too...which is to be expected. If our defense had halfway shown up and we didn't have all those drops in the first half, we wouldn't be talking about this.

mic
09-25-2016, 09:26 AM

3. Receivers gave taken a step backwards from last year. Too many drops. They need to help him out.

#3... Ross and Gary are very good.. Myles is having a tough year so far, but kid played well as a freshman
The other 2 I agree with...

msstate7
09-25-2016, 09:31 AM
#3... Ross and Gary are very good.. Myles is having a tough year so far, but kid played well as a freshman

Really like what I've seen out of gray. He should've had 2 long td's vs lsu... fitz has to start hitting those throws

basedog
09-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Fitz: 25-38 3 TD's 299 yards 1 sack

15 carries 119 yards 7.3 per carrier longest run 21

Pretty impressive.

Also penalties killed us yesterday as did a few dropped passes. Two holding calls on #60 probably cost us points.

QuadrupleOption
09-25-2016, 09:49 AM

The 1st half sucked no doubt. But our offense put up 40 points on what til that point had been a pretty decent defense.

I'm more worried about OUR defense, or lack thereof.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 09:53 AM
The 1st half sucked no doubt. But our offense put up 40 points on what til that point had been a pretty decent defense.

I'm more worried about OUR defense, or lack thereof.

We've shown good flashes on both sides of the ball, but haven't put them together in a whole game yet. Hopefully consistency is almost here.

Sacrifice
09-25-2016, 10:06 AM
Fitz: 25-38 3 TD's 299 yards 1 sack

15 carries 119 yards 7.3 per carrier longest run 21

Pretty impressive.

Also penalties killed us yesterday as did a few dropped passes. Two holding calls on #60 probably cost us points.

Dak didn't reach 299 yrds passing until the 8th game of his JR yr against Arkansas. That's after he played half the 13 season. Fitz has done it in his 3rd start as a sophomore. He's gonna be a great one, we just have to be patient

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Dak didn't reach 299 yrds passing until the 8th game of his JR yr against Arkansas. That's after he played half the 13 season. Fitz has done it in his 3rd start as a sophomore. He's gonna be a great one, we just have to be patient

And Dak actually played QB in high school. Fitz was a WR and backup QB until his Senior year. He threw maybe 75-100 passes in his HS career and had around 30 attempts last year. The kid is green and learning and we have to keep that in our heads. The fact that he is starting and improving at this level shows he has the skill and talent. He just needs experience. That's why I think Dan blew this not making him starter after spring. He needed that time to build the respect of the team.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 10:39 AM

Agree. Here is a Tony Romo quote that kind of describes the problem that I think Fitz has. He's getting better, but, when you don't throw the ball in high school, you lose out on the opportunity to gain instincts.

http://i.imgur.com/ZdthXNQ.jpg

Op4isabitch
09-25-2016, 10:41 AM
The biggest improvement I saw in Nick yesterday, his leadership.
First time I've seen him patting linemen on the head after plays and lifting his RB's up off the ground. That is a huge factor, he's gonna get there if he keeps those things up, the team will gel behind him.

Sacrifice
09-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Fitzs needs to learn, you don't have to throw a 100 mph fastball on every pass. Some of the receivers are having problems with it. I could see in the 2nd half he was taking some off his throws.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Fitzs needs to learn, you don't have to throw a 100 mph fastball on every pass. Some of the receivers are having problems with it. I could see in the 2nd half he was taking some off his throws.

It's tough to learn. It's about feel & instincts.

It's the difference between starting pitchers & relievers in baseball. Relievers aren't starters because they typically lack the feel to add & subtract velocity & command the baseball at a necessary level. Fitz is a crude passer that we are trying to turn from being a reliever to being a starter

Coach007
09-25-2016, 11:25 AM

Ah!!! We got a "reality" guy! Reality, he set a record on his first full game played vs and SEC team! Did that count?

Coach007
09-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Fitz was 19/29. So he threw 1 more pass and completed 4 more. In that, Fitz had a better start.

Fitz ran for 195 yards.... that's more than Dak in his start.

So wrong again Beastman.

Coach007
09-25-2016, 11:46 AM

LOL, it's about more than the outcome. It was about his adjustments as a QB, his eyes, his shoulder movements, his feet.... his timing. etc. Nothing about that has to do with the team played.

Coach007
09-25-2016, 11:59 AM

1- They actually look better to me than last year.
2- You don't want that. Most want to see it because they think it will win every game. It was that way when Dak started. Everybody was mad because Dan could not coach. Had the best running QB and he is making him throw it. Then they saw what happens when that's all you do. Defenses key in to stop Dak from running. The scheme hasn't changed. It's a read option. It's Fitz's choice.
3- Yes way more dropped. But there's a reason for that. It's not what these guys are use to. They have had Dak for what....2 years and some change? That's a chemistry and slight timing issue that only gets resolved in PT and game situations. The fact that he threw for over 60% this weekend, 65% vs South Carolina is pretty vantastic considering the drops

Coach007
09-25-2016, 12:30 PM
I will say this, Fitz physically has every thing Dak has and maybe more but rather or not Fitz has the head, smarts and the drive to be the best that Dak has I don't know.

I will take what Team mates have stated

“The ball is placed on the outside shoulder. That’s one of the main things he does,” Wilson said. “Great throws like that is what’s going to separate him from a lot of quarterbacks in the SEC.”

But you are right. The old saying "hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard"

gravedigger
09-25-2016, 12:39 PM
And dak's adjustments were worse?

We will see in 2 weeks. My guess is that beast is going to be proven right.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 12:59 PM

That wasn't Dak's first start. Alcorn the second game of the year was his first start. He went 12-19 for 174 yards and 2 TD, 4 rushes for 22 yards and 1 TD all in the first half since he didn't play the second half. To be fair on the other side Dak threw the ball horribly against LSU, ran the ba well but he didn't throw the ball well that game at all.

RougeDawg
09-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Who's Gary?**

RougeDawg
09-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Just for comparison purposes, Florida only gained 363 total yards against the same UMass defense. in The Swam earlier this season. They won 24-7, but to act like that UMass team is garbage is simply agenda driven. They aren't world beaters but aren't as bad as people are making them out to be.

Taog Redloh
09-25-2016, 02:34 PM
Beastman just curious about something. Do you realize that players start out as freshmen and grow into seniors? Because no one is saying Fitzgerald is Prescott. We are simply saying that he is a 3rd year player and is getting better. Just like Prescott did.

Give him a chance and quit condemning him for his current play. You sound like a buffoon.

oldtrickdawg
09-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Toag , I have some of these guys on suicide watch today...As a long time observer, I think what we are seeing on here, too often, are the 10 per centers...Ten per cent of any given fan base will be critical or unhappy regardless of the outcome of the game..Prescott, I am happy about his success, had me screaming at the screen in his early days on campus with two counts and run coupled with horrible passing accuracy..I believe Fitzgerald could be a great one with some better play from the team as a whole...I'm not saying they aren't trying; just need a little better execution...A Hoyle Granger at full back could not hurt.

Having said that, my scale for fans goes:

1) Moron
2) Ignorant
3) Semi-knowledgeable
4) Knowledgeable
5) Coaches
6) 10 Per Centers...know it all...

I consider myself between ignorant and semi-knowledgeable...Hey, we won the darn game; take a breath...And , one more thing, in life we don't always get to pick our leaders..not saying there is any kind of problem here-don't have a clue..But, several have harped on this guy or that guy's popularity..Get over it--do you job or get on the be bench...HAIL State...

Maroonthirteen
09-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Just for comparison purposes, Florida only gained 363 total yards against the same UMass defense. in The Swam earlier this season. They won 24-7, but to act like that UMass team is garbage is simply agenda driven. They aren't world beaters but aren't as bad as people are making them out to be.

No kidding. Folks act like we played MUW.

I think Fitz has been fishing in Beast man's hole.

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2016, 03:59 PM
No kidding. Folks act like we played MUW.

I think Fitz has been fishing in Beast man's hole.
MUW has a bigger offensive line.

Bama_Dawg
09-25-2016, 04:17 PM

And if we catch them on the wrong week, they'll bite our heads off...***

Couldn't resist.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 04:54 PM

Don't think I want to the glamor shot of the MUW OL that's over 400 lbs. That was a big dude. Why does everybody think they were small? The left tackle was 330, guards like 315 each, center and RT were 295

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Don't think I want to the glamor shot of the MUW OL that's over 400 lbs. That was a big dude. Why does everybody think they were small? The left tackle was 330, guards like 315 each, center and RT were 295
It's called deflecting tension with humor. Seriously never thought anyone would take it as a *literal* statement, you know, since MUW has no football team I thought it would be obvious.

Jack Lambert
09-25-2016, 05:02 PM
It's called deflecting tension with humor. Seriously never thought anyone would take it as a *literal* statement, you know, since MUW has no football team I thought it would be obvious.

Have you seen some of the women on that campus?

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 05:02 PM

Yeah I know. Hence the glamor shot comment. I Should have put these ***

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Have you seen some of the women on that campus?
Lots, my wife went there. But, she would have played OLB. #cantteachspeed

Taog Redloh
09-25-2016, 08:10 PM

Tells you a little bit about the element on this board, doesn't it?