PDA

View Full Version : Let's be honest...

MoreCowbell
09-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Let's be honest... all the Mullen getting fired talk is fun and all but we all know damn well that man ain't getting fired after this year no matter what happens. He's built up enough credit to have an "off" year. If it continues of course we will shake things up but c'mon guys, he not going anywhere unless he leaves for another school. Chill out and let's see how it plays out. Just sick of all the Fire Murlen! Sh*t talk EVERYDAY on here. It. Ain't.happening.

Bothrops
09-24-2016, 11:34 PM
Just beat Auburn and I step off the ledge**

ScoobaDawg
09-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Let's be honest... all the Mullen getting fired talk is fun and all but we all know damn well that man ain't getting fired after this year no matter what happens. He's built up enough credit to have an "off" year. If it continues of course we will shake things up but c'mon guys, he not going anywhere unless he leaves for another school. Chill out and let's see how it plays out. Just sick of all the Fire Murlen! Sh*t talk EVERYDAY on here. It. Ain't.happening.

If we don't win the Egg. and don't go bowling (winning egg pretty much has to happen for bowling to happen). The seat will be extremly hot.
Go find me another MSU head coach who remained the coach after 3 straight egg bowl losses.

I'll even make it easy for ya.
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2015&team1=MississippiState&team2=Mississippi

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Exactly

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2016, 11:50 PM
If we don't win the Egg. and don't go bowling (winning egg pretty much has to happen for bowling to happen). The seat will be extremly hot.
Go find me another MSU head coach who remained the coach after 3 straight egg bowl losses.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2015&team1=MississippiState&team2=Mississippi

I get the bowling part, but the Egg Bowl is against a stacked deck right now. Are we really evaluating him against a unionized team? Please explain how that is fair

I'd be curious to go through Ole Miss' roster & see which of their players would be MSU players if they weren't cheating.

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2016, 11:54 PM

Agree. The first thing Mullen could do after the season to start getting in the good graces again is to flip a few recruits & find some big time players that are currently off the radar. I think everyone is willing to give Mullen a down year in return for hope that we'll bounce back quickly. Winning some recruiting battles would be a great start for him.

lamont
09-25-2016, 12:09 AM
Our administration is already not happy with Mullen after the way he shopped himself around last November. The decision to keep or replace Mullen wont just be based on our record in 2016. There's a reason he didnt get the usual rollover extension to his contract after winning games in 2015.

Its more than wins and losses. If we end up missing a bowl and get blown out by OM in the Egg Bowl- you are going to have a University President that is going to lose his shit. Nothing about this team screams it will be better in 2017- especially with the schedule flipping. Its going to be very interesting.

Commercecomet24
09-25-2016, 12:12 AM

Yep. I love to read the analysis of the games the x and o's stuff, that's good reading, but the we suck, fire Dan threads are all that's on here lately. I think eveybody agrees we have to improve but we gotta let it play out.

BayouDawg
09-25-2016, 12:13 AM
Our administration is already not happy with Mullen after the way he shopped himself around last November. The decision to keep or replace Mullen wont just be based on our record in 2016. There's a reason he didnt get the usual rollover extension to his contract after winning games in 2015.

Its more than wins and losses. If we end up missing a bowl and get blown out by OM in the Egg Bowl- you are going to have a University President that is going to lose his shit. Nothing about this team screams it will be better in 2017- especially with the schedule flipping. Its going to be very interesting.

I hope you're right. I just have a bad feeling that this will go down in typical mstate fashion. Bottom falls out this season, recruiting goes to hell again, we let Dan hang around for another 2 years and by they time we make a change we're back where we were in the croom years. Hell the offensive line talent and defensive back talent is already worse than it was in Crooms last year.

Dawgface
09-25-2016, 07:32 AM
I hope you're right. I just have a bad feeling that this will go down in typical mstate fashion. Bottom falls out this season, recruiting goes to hell again, we let Dan hang around for another 2 years and by they time we make a change we're back where we were in the croom years. Hell the offensive line talent and defensive back talent is already worse than it was in Crooms last year.

My fear as well. To get to 6 wins, we better have it before the Egg Bowl because we have zero chance of a win there. OM will have to have a massive amount of injuries for us to have a chance.

Bucky Dog
09-25-2016, 07:53 AM

This is what most of us are saying here and from the OP. If we finish below .500 this year and lose the Egg again, his seat will be very hot for next year. He and staff will need to pull in a really good recruiting class and next year's results will be the measuring stick for his future. Just stop the fire him, and this player sucks stuff so much!!

shoeless joe
09-25-2016, 07:59 AM

This is it. Those folks talking about a down year or a rebuild don't see the forest for the trees. I was the biggest Dan fan there was until LSU last year. And even after that I felt we were better off with him...but after the drama at the end combined with how obvious it is that somethings amiss this year and I'm ready to move on. And from the sound of it folks way more important than me feel the same way.

Joe Schmedlap
09-25-2016, 08:12 AM
2017 will determine the fate of Mullen and MSU, not 2016. End of story. Suck next year as he has this year, and he is gone. Turn things around in 2017, and he is either back in good graces at State or he uses that success to get a job elsewhere. Either way, despite lots and lots of uncertainty, I do not expect any firing to happen this year even if we go 4-8 and get destroyed by UM.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 08:22 AM

Personally, I'd rather our university president be "losing his shit" over us losing R1 standing on his watch.

msstatelp1
09-25-2016, 08:23 AM
One bad year

Just keep repeating that over and over because if we fire DM, that will be ALL that is repeated in the press. The press won't say anything about his attitude, shopping around for other jobs, or any other supposed extenuating circumstances. ALL they will report is that we fired the coach that took us to #1 and had the most successful run in 70+ years BECAUSE HE HAD ONE BAD YEAR.

If you were a potential head coach and were approached about a job where the previous head coach was fired after one bad year, would you take it? For a guaranteed $20+ million over 5 years, maybe...but it would have to be guaranteed without exception.

I liked the Dan Mullen we hired. I'm not happy with the Dan Mullen we've had the past two years but he deserves time to right the ship.

basedog
09-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Stop the madness! Let's worry about Auburn and forget about last year or the past. Hell, we are 1 game away from where we all thought we would be. If we beat Auburn and that will be a challenge but doable, anything might happen. At least this team hasn't given up like a bunch of you ***** whining bitches.
As an ex player, ex coach, you never give up, that is to easy to do. I really appreciated the effort and making a statement at the end of the game yesterday. I see more good than bad in this team and the rest of the year. We may not win 6 games but I bet we have a chance to win at least 6.

Dawgfan77
09-25-2016, 08:38 AM

Factor the possibility of a new AD who may want to put his stamp on the coaching hire

stungeon
09-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Thank you basedog.

Jack Lambert
09-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Some people need to vent or rant to make themselves feel better. Some people just want to hate. I just look past them and enjoy what we have compared to the past. I have seen some pretty shitty MSU teams hit the field and this one is not one of them. I see another 2013 team this year. Just keep scratching victories and get to a bowl game.

Jacksondevildog
09-25-2016, 09:42 AM
This is what some of you are not factoring in. If Stricklin leaves for Florida, that could drastically change things with Mullen. Scott has basically given Mullen the keys to the kingdom and has let him do what he wants with basically no reprocussions. If we flame out and go 4-8 or 5-7 and get hammered in the Egg Bowl (which is likely), a new AD, or Keenum could make a move. This isn't 1993 Mississippi State. The landscape has changed drastically in college football and in the SEC and you cannot sit back too long and let the program go down the drain. I don't think we are at that point yet, but signs are trending that way. If we beat Auburn, the ship (season) will be somewhat turned around. It's bad that we are a missed 29 yard field goal off of the goal posts from most of these conversations not happening. But that's the day and age that we are living in.

Factor the possibility of a new AD who may want to put his stamp on the coaching hire

Maroons
09-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Nothing about this team screams it will be better in 2017

There are FR and Soph all over the field and they're all improving each week. We will be pretty talented next year.

lamont
09-25-2016, 10:26 AM
There are FR and Soph all over the field and they're all improving each week. We will be pretty talented next year.

not on the OL, at RB, or CB

basedog
09-25-2016, 10:54 AM

You never know, it's way to early to think about 2017. C'mon, you being a Coach should know better, this team is young with many guys not playing yet for whatever reason. This offensive line is showing improvement and they are playing better than last year's line. Penalties have hurt this team especially yesterday with 9.

Why would you even look at 2016when we are 2-2 with 8 more regular games to play. Player will improve, this team hasn't quit, you for one have said we we be lucky to win 6 as I.

Dawgfan77
09-25-2016, 10:56 AM
if we are going to be so good next year. Why all the damn. JUCOs. The reason is the last two Decembers our staff didn't cruit cause Mullen had his name out.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 11:00 AM

I'll give you OL, but I don't understand RB or CB. We'll return both CBs & at RB we'll return the good players & add Kylin Hill.

Additionally, next years team will actually have a returning QB & two young QBs pushing him.

Not saying we'll be great, but the cupboard isn't bare. We also add a bunch of JUCO players that we have no clue how they'll turn out. If a few catch on quick, things could get better in a hurry.

dawgday166
09-25-2016, 11:01 AM
You never know, it's way to early to think about 2017. C'mon, you being a Coach should know better, this team is young with many guys not playing yet for whatever reason. This offensive line is showing improvement and they are playing better than last year's line. Penalties have hurt this team especially yesterday with 9.

Why would you even look at 2016when we are 2-2 with 8 more regular games to play. Player will improve, this team hasn't quit, you for one have said we we be lucky to win 6 as I.

Because part of the HCs job is to project future recruiting needs, player personnel development, etc. Sorta like a CEO. This is why I say Mullen is an OC not a HC.

Mullen should be orchestrating what all of his staff does ... not trying to be the OC and DC all rolled into one.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 11:02 AM
if we are going to be so good next year. Why all the damn. JUCOs. The reason is the last two Decembers our staff didn't cruit cause Mullen had his name out.

Why all the JUCOs?

Because we currently only have like 76 guys on scholarship & can sign about 30 in the February signing period. The program has to be balanced out age wise.

Perhaps that is mismanagement in past years, but signing a bunch of JUCOs that will enroll early & be counted back is absolutely the correct decision

Jacksondevildog
09-25-2016, 11:03 AM
We just had a Juco safety flip to Minnesota moments ago. He's from Co-Lin.

basedog
09-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Because part of the HCs job is to project future recruiting needs, player personnel development, etc. Sorta like a CEO. This is why I say Mullen is an OC not a HC.

Mullen should be orchestrating what all of his staff does ... not trying to be the OC and DC all rolled into one.

Saying Mullen isn't a HC is wrong. Did you see when we are leading after 3 quarters Mullen's teams are 52-2? I'd say that is pretty damn good coaching. Mullen makes mistakes, I don't like everything he has done and is doing, but to say he isn't a HC is wrong.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 11:21 AM
We just had a Juco safety flip to Minnesota moments ago. He's from Co-Lin.

Don't think he was going to be a take in the end. Surprised we took his commentment and didn't just keep him warm

lamont
09-25-2016, 11:23 AM
I'll give you OL, but I don't understand RB or CB. We'll return both CBs & at RB we'll return the good players & add Kylin Hill.

Additionally, next years team will actually have a returning QB & two young QBs pushing him.

Not saying we'll be great, but the cupboard isn't bare. We also add a bunch of JUCO players that we have no clue how they'll turn out. If a few catch on quick, things could get better in a hurry.

Our back-up RB's cant get on the field and neither will Hill. We cant get redshirt freshmen RB's on the field- we damn sure wont see a true freshmen RB.

I watched the UMass QB - who led the worst offense in the country coming in- throw 4 TD's yesterday. If you think our CB's are improving- I cant help you.

lamont
09-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Why all the JUCOs?

Because we currently only have like 76 guys on scholarship & can sign about 30 in the February signing period. The program has to be balanced out age wise.

Perhaps that is mismanagement in past years, but signing a bunch of JUCOs that will enroll early & be counted back is absolutely the correct decision

Phillips is an auto-RS. We'll see what Champion can give us. The 3 DL guys should help- and that says alot about our returning guys.

dawgday166
09-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Saying Mullen isn't a HC is wrong. Did you see when we are leading after 3 quarters Mullen's teams are 52-2? I'd say that is pretty damn good coaching. Mullen makes mistakes, I don't like everything he has done and is doing, but to say he isn't a HC is wrong.

If that stat is correct then we're 5 - 35 when we aren't. 42 of those games have been against 4 patsy OOCs (I subtracted Houston in '09 and USA this year), KY, and 1 dumpster fire SEC E team. That makes my case IMO. He doesn't adjust well in the game.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Our back-up RB's cant get on the field and neither will Hill. We cant get redshirt freshmen RB's on the field- we damn sure wont see a true freshmen RB.

I watched the UMass QB - who led the worst offense in the country coming in- throw 4 TD's yesterday. If you think our CB's are improving- I cant help you.

We'll see on Hill..... I have a hunch that some of the RBs we've recruited aren't of the highest academic caliber & may not have the ability to learn. We'll see if Hill can catch on quicker.

As for the CBs, agree they suck, but they shouldn't get worse

dawgday166
09-25-2016, 11:43 AM
We'll see on Hill..... I have a hunch that some of the RBs we've recruited aren't of the highest academic caliber & may not have the ability to learn. We'll see if Hill can catch on quicker.

As for the CBs, agree they suck, but they shouldn't get worse

Maybe that's why we get some of the 4* backs we get. Saban, Miles, Malzahn, and Freeze must realize they ain't smart enough to play college ball. Seems like we sho got a bunch of dumb ones.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Maybe that's why we get some of the 4* backs we get. Saban, Miles, Malzahn, and Freeze must realize they ain't smart enough to play college ball. Seems like we sho got a bunch of dumb ones.

Your hero, freeze wanted shump and aeris very much, but keep spilling your crap

DudyDawg
09-25-2016, 12:02 PM

Well they literally cannot get worse

dawgday166
09-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Your hero, freeze wanted shump and aeris very much, but keep spilling your crap

Whatever dude. I think it can't be accurate that we have several 4* backs who can't play college football. Funny how to some such as yourself every GOOD thing that's happened in the last 8 years is ONLY because of Mullen. Every bad thing is because of defensive coaching staff, players doing dumb things, players can't learn, recruits get paid by others, etc. etc.

Some on here want to fire our DC 4 games into his first year. I'm for giving him a chance. He inherited this crap. 8 years in ... I have higher expectations.

TopDog58
09-25-2016, 12:07 PM
One bad year

Just keep repeating that over and over because if we fire DM, that will be ALL that is repeated in the press. The press won't say anything about his attitude, shopping around for other jobs, or any other supposed extenuating circumstances. ALL they will report is that we fired the coach that took us to #1 and had the most successful run in 70+ years BECAUSE HE HAD ONE BAD YEAR.

If you were a potential head coach and were approached about a job where the previous head coach was fired after one bad year, would you take it? For a guaranteed $20+ million over 5 years, maybe...but it would have to be guaranteed without exception.

I liked the Dan Mullen we hired. I'm not happy with the Dan Mullen we've had the past two years but he deserves time to right the ship.

And there it is . It's the ol the media backlash response. Who gives a shit what the media thinks. And no way does Mullen deserve 2 more years to right the ship. What is 2 more years of lackluster recruiting and no offensive adjustments going to improve?

msstate7
09-25-2016, 02:55 PM
And there it is . It's the ol the media backlash response. Who gives a shit what the media thinks. And no way does Mullen deserve 2 more years to right the ship. What is 2 more years of lackluster recruiting and no offensive adjustments going to improve?

Who said 2 years? Next year to right the ship... we won 9 last year

Taog Redloh
09-25-2016, 03:01 PM
OP is right. If Mullen was going to be fired, he would have had to lose yesterday. It's not happening, move on.

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Personally, I'd rather our university president be "losing his shit" over us losing R1 standing on his watch.

Athletics are a big part of the University. Football is the most profitable wing of the University so I can understand his concern if things aren't going well on that front.

msstate7
09-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Athletics are a big part of the University. Football is the most profitable wing of the University so I can understand his concern if things aren't going well on that front.

Yeah, contrary to popular belief though, academics are a bigger part of the university. Mullen "pimping" himself out for jobs shouldn't be near as embarrassing to Keenum as us losing R1 status.

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Who said 2 years? Next year to right the ship... we won 9 last year

He needs to right the ship now. What has gone on this year is completely unacceptable even by MSU 1990 standards which is about what we look like right now. Lose to South Alabama, win over South Carolina which is looking less impressive since Kentucky beat them yesterday and we were outscored in the second half against them, dominated by LSU with a lame duck head coach until they played prevent which allowed us to make it look closer than it was, and now an unimpressive win over UMass.

If we give Dan another year, we're going to have another underwhelming recruiting class to go with last years recruiting class. We need to cut bait at the end of the year if this continues so that the next guy won't inherit a total dumpster fire, which I know is a foreign concept to us.

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Yeah, contrary to popular belief though, academics are a bigger part of the university. Mullen "pimping" himself out for jobs shouldn't be near as embarrassing to Keenum as us losing R1 status.

Both are embarrassing and should be concerns. I think it's misguided that a University President should not pay any attention to athletics though. And I know you didn't say that. I just wanted to point out that our President should be involved in athletics.

Bama_Dawg
09-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Both are embarrassing and should be concerns. I think it's misguided that a University President should not pay any attention to athletics though. And I know you didn't say that. I just wanted to point out that our President should be involved in athletics.

Yup, Keenum should be and is involved in all facets of the University. I don't want to lose Stricklin, but I have a lot of faith in Keenum to make the right decision if it comes to it.