PDA

View Full Version : Is CDM making Stricklin's decision easy?...

IMissJack
09-24-2016, 08:34 PM
? I'm not sure Stricklin will want to face the crap coming in fb.

MaroonFlounder
09-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Strick took one for the team enduring the rapid fire lambasting from the mad reporter in Sandestin.
He may haul ass on that point alone.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 08:43 PM

No, but if it was me our "fans" are.

IMissJack
09-24-2016, 08:46 PM
No, but if it was me our "fans" are.
You are absolutely the epitome of "head in the sand". It is the fans' fault that a man making $4M a year has a team that looks like a bad CUSA team. Liverpool to the rescue...

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 08:50 PM
You are absolutely the epitome of "head in the sand". It is the fans' fault that a man making $4M a year has a team that looks like a bad CUSA team. Liverpool to the rescue...
I just want to try something different. Everything I see here is the same old crap we have always done. I HATE old MSU.

IMissJack
09-24-2016, 08:51 PM
I just want to try something different. Everything I see here is the same old crap we have always done. I HATE old MSU.

The team I see on the field today is the OLD MSU!

WinningIsRelentless
09-24-2016, 08:54 PM

Like the basketball ordeal we still haven't had a winning season after? Or what about everyone calling for johns head after going to a cws final series the year prior?

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 08:57 PM

What do you mean by that? We have had 3 coaches over the last 25 years. I am 40 years old, Jackie was hired when I was in junior high.

Really Clark?
09-24-2016, 09:01 PM
What do you mean by that? We have had 3 coaches over the last 25 years. I am 40 years old, Jackie was hired when I was in junior high.

But isn't because JWS and Mullen have been successful for a number of years each the reason why we have only had 3? It's usually better to have fewer coaches over a long period of time.

IMissJack
09-24-2016, 09:02 PM

Exactly. I'm not even talking about getting rid of Mullen. I hope he turns it around, but I can see where Stricklin may opt to avoid the turmoil that this season is going to create.

Todd4State
09-24-2016, 09:02 PM

Here's how it is going to work.

Scott or whomever is going to support Dan publicly- as he should. Until the season is over- and then we will evaluate things at that point.

At the end of the day Scott will do whatever he needs to do, but we're going to have to suffer the rest of the year more than likely in the meantime.

Todd4State
09-24-2016, 09:06 PM

Exactly. The problem isn't that we fire coaches too soon. It's that we usually that we keep them too long. A failing coach staying too long usually leads to 2-3 years of poor recruiting, which leads to a huge hole for the next coach. THAT is the old MSU.

Every single coach we have had going back to the 50's has been at MSU for at least five years. We didn't even fire Charley Shira.

Croom is really the only coach we fired appropriately and I would say that turned out pretty well for a few years at least.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 09:43 PM
The team I see on the field today is the OLD MSU!

I ain't talking about that. I'm talking about our response to what we saw today. THAT has been the same for 60-70 years. Just once I would like us to try something different. I have full confidence we won't. We will can it all and start over again. It ain't never worked. Why would we expect it to THIS time?

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 09:44 PM

Thanks for confirming my opinion Jr. Your age is exactly what I would have expected. I'm 52 by the way. You guys that cut your teeth during Jackie's good years and haven't studied MSU history have no clue how abnormal what Jackie did here during the good years was. You also equate what happened with Jackie under the relentless blitz by the UM controlled media at the end as the normal end for a coach, it ain't. We have a coach that has proven he can win here. He has NO real NCAA baggage. The damn confederates are about to get theirs. Let's stay the course for ONCE in our history. The same old crap has never worked, and I can't think of a better time to try something different.

IMissJack
09-24-2016, 09:48 PM
I ain't talking about that. I'm talking about our response to what we saw today. THAT has been the same for 60-70 years. Just once I would like us to try something different. I have full confidence we won't. We will can it all and start over again. It ain't never worked. Why would we expect it to THIS time?

What response do you feel you would see from any other SEC West Team? Or, any SEC team not named Vandy, based on the season so far?

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 10:02 PM
Like the basketball ordeal we still haven't had a winning season after? Or what about everyone calling for johns head after going to a cws final series the year prior?

yep.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 10:09 PM
What response do you feel you would see from any other SEC West Team? Or, any SEC team not named Vandy, based on the season so far?

That's just it, we ain't any other SEC west team. I'm a realist, a very rare thing among our internet fan base. We don't have their history, like it or not. Damn the Japs and the Nazis for that. Unless we cheat like Ole Miss, and let's face it we absolutely SUCK at that, stability and patience are the only way for us. If you want to bitch, bitch at what we pay our assistant coaches. To me THAT is our biggest stumbling block right now. I will give you that ONE particular offensive assistant needs to change or go. If he doesn't I ain't willing to throw out the baby with the bath water just yet.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks for confirming my opinion Jr. Your age is exactly what I would have expected. I'm 52 by the way. You guys that cut your teeth during Jackie's good years and haven't studied MSU history have no clue how abnormal what Jackie did here during the good years was. You also equate what happened with Jackie under the relentless blitz by the UM controlled media at the end as the normal end for a coach, it ain't. We have a coach that has proven he can win here. He has NO real NCAA baggage. The damn confederates are about to get theirs. Let's stay the course for ONCE in our history. The same old crap has never worked, and I can't think of a better time to try something different.

Are you kidding me? Yeah you've got a good 12 years on me, congrats. Both my parents went to state, ive been going and watching since birth, literally. I remember before Jackie. MY POINT, which flew over your head like that bi plane thing during the foglesong years, is that we do not fire coaches prematurely. We never have. You are making that up to try to defend your defenseless position.

ScoobaDawg
09-24-2016, 10:18 PM

That response is ignorant as hell. You think you know better because you are older and wallowed through more shitty years then us younger fans. We have a proven head coach who has set a new standard. He is now not living up to it and appears to be on the down slope (I'm not in favor of any changes until the end of the year )

Tell me this.. what would the results of the year take for you to want a change. If we only win 5 this year and don't win the last game of the year. We need to make a move.

Todd4State
09-24-2016, 10:21 PM
That's just it, we ain't any other SEC west team. I'm a realist, a very rare thing among our internet fan base. We don't have their history, like it or not. Damn the Japs and the Nazis for that. Unless we cheat like Ole Miss, and let's face it we absolutely SUCK at that, stability and patience are the only way for us. If you want to bitch, bitch at what we pay our assistant coaches. To me THAT is our biggest stumbling block right now. I will give you that ONE particular offensive assistant needs to change or go. If he doesn't I ain't willing to throw out the baby with the bath water just yet.

And yet we have never had a coach that we let go that has had any success anywhere else- including McKeen. There is ZERO indication that we would have become a national type program had it not been for World War II. Everyone else had to deal with World War II at the time and most had to shut down their program for a year or two.

Again, we have been too patient for too little success. You went to the Liberty Bowl and beat Ole Miss in the same season? LIFETIME CONTRACT! Again, you can't name a coach in your lifetime that has been at MSU for less that five years. Croom and Felker were both terrible- we have Felker FOUR seasons to have a winning season before letting him go. We didn't let Croom go after losing to Maine, UAB, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky in the same season- or after 2006 where we went three games before scoring a touchdown and lost to Tulane.

We're the most patient fans in the SEC BY FAR. Most schools lose to South Alabama and want to run off the coach. We lose to South Alabama and half of our fans bring up Frank ****ing Beamer.

The way for us to be successful and AVOID this is to see the warning signs and make a change- like trying to leave every year, not giving 100% effort, lack of interest from the fanbase, and other warning signs. They are ALL there. Being patient is the WORST thing we can do because odds are those things are not going to change and the recruiting won't get any better creating a bigger hole for whomever takes over- and it also makes us less attractive to the next group of coaching candidates because they will see the garbage recruiting and not want to take over a major rebuild.

TrapGame
09-24-2016, 10:30 PM
And yet we have never had a coach that we let go that has had any success anywhere else- including McKeen. There is ZERO indication that we would have become a national type program had it not been for World War II. Everyone else had to deal with World War II at the time and most had to shut down their program for a year or two.

Again, we have been too patient for too little success. You went to the Liberty Bowl and beat Ole Miss in the same season? LIFETIME CONTRACT! Again, you can't name a coach in your lifetime that has been at MSU for less that five years. Croom and Felker were both terrible- we have Felker FOUR seasons to have a winning season before letting him go. We didn't let Croom go after losing to Maine, UAB, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky in the same season- or after 2006 where we went three games before scoring a touchdown and lost to Tulane.

We're the most patient fans in the SEC BY FAR. Most schools lose to South Alabama and want to run off the coach. We lose to South Alabama and half of our fans bring up Frank ****ing Beamer.

The way for us to be successful and AVOID this is to see the warning signs and make a change- like trying to leave every year, not giving 100% effort, lack of interest from the fanbase, and other warning signs. They are ALL there. Being patient is the WORST thing we can do because odds are those things are not going to change and the recruiting won't get any better creating a bigger hole for whomever takes over- and it also makes us less attractive to the next group of coaching candidates because they will see the garbage recruiting and not want to take over a major rebuild.

Great post Todd.

Thick
09-24-2016, 10:40 PM
I did not watch the first half, and according to the board it was craptastic. I watched the second half, and I thought we looked like shit, and that was the better half. The defense is really not good....terrible pass defense and no one, I mean NO ONE, can tackle. There's no way this team can win 6 games, and might not win 5.

This will sound terrible, but I ALMOST would like to see us go 4-8, and get skull drug just so the freaking heat will be put on Dan's ass. Dan really needs to be HUMBLED until it hurts!! At this point, I really think that he believes that he's untouchable at MSU.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Are you kidding me? Yeah you've got a good 12 years on me, congrats. Both my parents went to state, ive been going and watching since birth, literally. I remember before Jackie. MY POINT, which flew over your head like that bi plane thing during the foglesong years, is that we do not fire coaches prematurely. We never have. You are making that up to try to defend your defenseless position.

How was your golf game? We did win by the way.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 11:03 PM
How was your golf game? We did win by the way.

I didn't play, took my daughter to play. Yes I know we won, barely. Thank goodness we didn't pull fitz like you wanted in the first quarter. Even heard that Aries got a TD. Too bad they both didn't see any time against USA or we might have done something crazy and won that one.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:03 PM

Actually Todd, McKeen never coached again. He quit because of what we did to him. Have you ever wondered why we never honor him that much? He is the only coach we have in the college football hall of fame because of what he did HERE. Yet he doesn't feature that much in anything we do. Interesting don't you think? All, we have ever done since him is hire and fire. Except for two guys. BOTH of them are in the college football hall of fame. They got the hell out of here because they saw what we did to McKeen, and they saw first hand that nothing had changed. It still hasn't and you epitomize that. Let's do something different for ONCE. What you are advocating is what we have always done in my lifetime. I want to get away from that poor old MSU crap. Y'all want to perpetuate it.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Actually Todd, McKeen never coached again. He quit because of what we did to him. Have you ever wondered why we never honor him that much? He is the only coach we have in the college football hall of fame because of what he did HERE. Yet he doesn't feature that much in anything we do. Interesting don't you think? All, we have ever done since him is hire and fire. Except for two guys. BOTH of them are in the college football hall of fame. They got the hell out of here because they saw what we did to McKeen, and they saw first hand that nothing had changed. It still hasn't and you epitomize that. Let's do something different for ONCE. What you are advocating is what we have always done in my lifetime. I want to get away from that poor old MSU crap. Y'all want to perpetuate it.

I'm not sure why, but I'll try this one more time. We have had 3 coaches over the past 25 years. That is half your lifetime. What you are saying is simply wrong.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:05 PM
I didn't play, took my daughter to play. Yes I know we won, barely. Thank goodness we didn't pull fitz like you wanted in the first quarter. Even heard that Aries got a TD. Too bad they both didn't see any time against USA or we might have done something crazy and won that one.

Yep, on all accounts. I watched it all. And watched every minute at Scott Filed so far too. I don't give up that easy.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Yep, on all accounts. I watched it all. And watched every minute at Scott Filed so far too. I don't give up that easy.

You want a cookie? I've put my time in. It makes me sick to watch Mullen ball. I knew we would win, but it's garbage football.

TopDog58
09-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Here's how it is going to work.

Scott or whomever is going to support Dan publicly- as he should. Until the season is over- and then we will evaluate things at that point.

At the end of the day Scott will do whatever he needs to do, but we're going to have to suffer the rest of the year more than likely in the meantime. Yet our "we can't do any better" crowd wants to give coaches the Frank Beamer lifetime job because they are scared of change.

Sometimes coaches wear out their welcome and it's time to move on. It happens. But we always have fans that think there will always be some big media backlash if we get rid of a coach.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure why, but I'll try this one more time. We have had 3 coaches over the past 25 years. That is half your lifetime. What you are saying is simply wrong.

What is wrong about it, seriously? The only time in my lifetime we have ever sort of stuck by a coach during a downturn was with Jackie the first time. We dang near fired him before his best years including the lone west title. All we have ever done is hire, and as soon as things looked bad, fire, except for the above mentioned time with Jackie. Y'all bitch about the turnover with the defensive coaches, legitimately if you ask me, yet advocate essentially the same thing overall. Unless you cheat stability with unflinching support is the only way you will ever build anything that will last. We have never had unflinching support. The better we get the worse that gets. Same old State.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:14 PM
You want a cookie? I've put my time in. It makes me sick to watch Mullen ball. I knew we would win, but it's garbage football.

You have no staying power. You advocate toughness, but you cut and run at the first adversity.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:16 PM

Yep, let's fire and start over. It's got us to the top, why should we change,

Todd4State
09-24-2016, 11:17 PM

Yes- never coaching again = never having success again. If he was that good, why did nobody pick him up? Duke picked up Cutcliffe. We don't honor very many players or coaches at MSU for whatever reason which is something we literally just started a few years ago with our ring of honor which hasn't even been around for ten years. THAT'S why we haven't honored him yet. His time will probably come.

Royal and Warmath both left for better jobs. If they thought our job was that bad they wouldn't have taken it in the first place.

What you are advocating is what we have always done with the same result. And if you have your way it will be the same result again except worse because Ole Miss will be on probation and we won't be able to take advantage of it.

Name ONE coach that we fired too soon since 1955? You can't do it.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 11:17 PM
What is wrong about it, seriously? The only time in my lifetime we have ever sort of stuck by a coach during a downturn was with Jackie the first time. We dang near fired him before his best years including the lone west title. All we have ever done is hire, and as soon as things looked bad, fire, except for the above mentioned time with Jackie. Y'all bitch about the turnover with the defensive coaches, legitimately if you ask me, yet advocate essentially the same thing overall. Unless you cheat stability with unflinching support is the only way you will ever build anything that will last. We have never had unflinching support. The better we get the worse that gets. Same old State.

So by your "new state" line of thinking, we should have kept croom and not hired mullen? That's exactly what you're saying.

Todd4State
09-24-2016, 11:18 PM
I did not watch the first half, and according to the board it was craptastic. I watched the second half, and I thought we looked like shit, and that was the better half. The defense is really not good....terrible pass defense and no one, I mean NO ONE, can tackle. There's no way this team can win 6 games, and might not win 5.

This will sound terrible, but I ALMOST would like to see us go 4-8, and get skull drug just so the freaking heat will be put on Dan's ass. Dan really needs to be HUMBLED until it hurts!! At this point, I really think that he believes that he's untouchable at MSU.

The pass defense is the scary thing because we haven't even played a strong passing team yet.

gtowndawg
09-24-2016, 11:20 PM

Preach!

Todd4State
09-24-2016, 11:23 PM
So by your "new state" line of thinking, we should have kept croom and not hired mullen? That's exactly what you're saying.

Exactly. Coaches the past 50 years:

Shira- resigned on his own to be the AD at MSU full time which he held until 1976 I believe.

Tyler- fired due to NCAA sanctions

Bellard- fired after FOUR straight losing seasons and losing three Egg Bowls in a row.

Felker- fired after FOUR straight losing seasons and losing three Egg Bowls in a row and no bowl appearances in five years.

Jackie- fired after THREE losing seasons and also while a NCAA investigation was going on.

Croom- fired after one losing season and having four losing seasons in five years.

Dan- ?????

Todd4State
09-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Yet our "we can't do any better" crowd wants to give coaches the Frank Beamer lifetime job because they are scared of change.

Sometimes coaches wear out their welcome and it's time to move on. It happens. But we always have fans that think there will always be some big media backlash if we get rid of a coach.

Exactly. And I thought we were going to get some after firing Croom, but even then it didn't happen. Most coaches aren't concerned with how the previous coach left because they are too focused on winning and they think that they are awesome coaches so the last guy doesn't really matter.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Yes- never coaching again = never having success again. If he was that good, why did nobody pick him up? Duke picked up Cutcliffe. We don't honor very many players or coaches at MSU for whatever reason which is something we literally just started a few years ago with our ring of honor which hasn't even been around for ten years. THAT'S why we haven't honored him yet. His time will probably come.

Royal and Warmath both left for better jobs. If they thought our job was that bad they wouldn't have taken it in the first place.

What you are advocating is what we have always done with the same result. And if you have your way it will be the same result again except worse because Ole Miss will be on probation and we won't be able to take advantage of it.

Name ONE coach that we fired too soon since 1955? You can't do it.

Why don't we honor our only Hall of fame coach Todd? Why is that? Why did he quit? You either can't answer that or won't. My Dad did, that's why despite his devout love for MSU he never allowed himself to get too wrapped up in it again. God rest his soul. You do know what Royal said when he left don't you? Obviously you don't. Yep the best way to take advantage of the Rebs troubles is to start over again at the same damn time. Y'all are doing their bidding, AGAIN. They own us, and always have.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Why don't we honor our only Hall of fame coach Todd? Why is that? Why did he quit? You either can't answer that or won't. My Dad did, that's why despite his devout love for MSU he never allowed himself to get too wrapped up in it again. God rest his soul. You do know what Royal said when he left don't you? Obviously you don't. Yep the best way to take advantage of the Rebs troubles is to start over again at the same damn time. Y'all are doing their bidding, AGAIN. They own us, and always have.

I think you might want to just quit posting on this one.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:31 PM

Good lord are you really that stupid? Croom was obviously in over his head, even the year we won. I cheered that firing, and every one we have made in my lifetime in football. It was time for JWS to move in too. Mullen has proven he can win here, and over the long haul. That's something we haven't had since WWII. I don't want to throw that away lightly.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:32 PM
I think you might want to just quit posting on this one.

Your opinion isn't the only one. I might be going against the grain here, but I ain't a Lone Ranger, not by a long shot. Free speech works both ways.

CadaverDawg
09-24-2016, 11:33 PM
Liverpool has no clue that HE is "poor ole MSU". It's hilarious watching him call everyone else "Old MSU", when the only one wanting to repeat MSU status quo is HIM. Ha, wake up man. And quit acting like being 52 and being able to attend more games than others makes you one of the 3 wise men. You aren't some founding father with the keys to life success.

I don't want Dan fired as of right now, but your blind obsession with him is weird status

I seen it dawg
09-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Liverpool once again you need to stop. You've got to be choking on the dirt you keep shoveling on yourself with this one. Just brutal.

RougeDawg
09-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Liverpool has no clue that HE is "poor ole MSU". It's hilarious watching him call everyone else "Old MSU", when the only one wanting to repeat MSU status quo is HIM. Ha, wake up man. And quit acting like being 52 and being able to attend more games than others makes you one of the 3 wise men. You aren't some founding father with the keys to life success.

I don't want Dan fired as of right now, but your blind obsession with him is weird status

The first signs of a real problem are denial.

We are paying top 20 money and aren't getting too 20 results in any area. For anyone over the age of 13, that should seem like a no brainier. But we are talking about the US of A here and the dumbing down of society over the last 5 decades.

ETA. Not to mention trying to hitch his wagon to any train not in Starkville each of the last two off seasons. And then trying to come in and demand $5mil Plus for himself and $500k each for Hevesy and Gonzo! Let that shut sink in. Dan is so out of F*cking touch he comes in and demands a raise for himself and our worst assistant after his second consecutive offseason looking for a ticket out or Starkville. Dan thinks Hevesy should be the 6th highest paid offensive line coach in all of college f*cking football. That's a fireabke offense in itself.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:41 PM

Blind obsession? Hardly. He is far from perfect and there is a ton of stuff he does I disagree with. That being said I'm smart enough to know I don't know everything. what I do know is all we have ever don, except for one time under JWS, is fire and hire. The only time we did what I'm advocating we wound up winning more than we had since the 40s. I'd like to try it again. Y'all want to do what poor old whooped down MSU has always done, take the easy way out. I expect we will do it again. We won't ever change. Ole Miss will get a pass despite their troubles because we will go hire Kyle Whittingham or whoever and have to start over in recruiting as well. This is a historic opportunity and we are going to do what we have always done and blow it.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Liverpool once again you need to stop. You've got to be choking on the dirt you keep shoveling on yourself with this one. Just brutal.

So what's new about what you want to do?

Really Clark?
09-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Yet our "we can't do any better" crowd wants to give coaches the Frank Beamer lifetime job because they are scared of change.

I think you are confusing when I or others have brought up Beamer in certain instances as you stay with a coach for a long time for the sake of it. That can't be further from the truth. There are criteria and situations that at the END of the season we may have to part ways with Mullen but the idea you use one game or even one season drop off (depending on how big the drop is) you automatically fire the coach is not the right answer either. Beamer and other coaches have been brought up recently because many have stated that coaches who lose to an inferior opponent or only win X number of games in season 8 or have a losing season, etc. have never turned it around. It's not true as many have accomplished such feats and have gone on to have a lot of success. Right now Dan has won approximately +.120 points higher than our schools historic average. For reference Saban is winning at .132 above Bama's average and .100 above LSU's avg while he was there. You just don't fire a coach that has won that much higher than your average until it is proven he has flattened (Mark Richt), have 2 losing seasons, or have one season of 2 wins or less, you can fire immediately in that case.

I seen it dawg
09-24-2016, 11:46 PM

Im not arguing with you. Youre wrong and won't be right ever on this.

I seen it dawg
09-24-2016, 11:46 PM

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2016, 11:48 PM

So what's new about what you want? I want to try something different. You don't.

I seen it dawg
09-24-2016, 11:51 PM
So what's new about what you want? I want to try something different. You don't.

New? You act like we have been firing coaches every 3-4 years. Your "do something new" isn't anything new. We don't fire people until it's too late, every time in every sport. You have no ****ing clue what you are talking about.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 11:55 PM
New? You act like we have been firing coaches every 3-4 years. Your "do something new" isn't anything new. We don't fire people until it's too late, every time in every sport. You have no ****ing clue what you are talking about.

I really don't understand how he's missing this. Can you have Alzheimer's at 52?

I seen it dawg
09-25-2016, 12:00 AM
3 coaches in last 25 yrs.
Felker coached 4 yrs that he never should have. Was horrible.
Bellard quit. Shira quit. Tyler NCAA. Davis stunk. Walker stunk. Royal moved up. Warmath moved up. Murray stunk. Your boy mckeen had a great 9 year run and never coached again.

So when in the holy ****ing hell have we been shit-canning guys left and right? Guys that actually should have been hired not the shitbags that didn't deserve to ever be head coaches. You can't because your stance is totally ****ing ignorant and infinitely stupid.

I know you were old enough to attend the games but I chose not to go back past 1900 and 30 ****ing 8.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 12:12 AM

I pretty much agree. I think looking back JWS had 2 years too long. At the time, while there was real concern honestly it was probably one year too long. He built up enough to have that one bad year since he had proven he could rebound and have good years following a down year. But 2 in a row shouldn't have earned a 3rd year. I do think the NCAA investigation really hurt in being able to find even a transition coach. At the time that was probably the thinking. We now know the change was going to be bad no matter what and we should have pulled the trigger at least 1 if not 2 years sooner. We do have to also consider the era that schools normally gave coaches at least 2-3 years regardless.

IMissJack
09-25-2016, 12:13 AM
Holy Cow! I started this thread to ask if people thought Stricklin's decision to go to FL would be made easier by our FB team. It was never intended to be a get rid of Mullen thread.

EdDawg
09-25-2016, 12:34 AM

Serious question. Do you want to keep Mullen and not make any stipulations?

I agree a coach needs support from fans, BUT if fans give complete support what happens when the coach feels as if he is untouchable?

Do you believe we should make Mullen fire any coaches at the end of the season? How long should we give him if we do miss a bowl game this year?

Again, genuinely asking to see your point of view.

lamont
09-25-2016, 12:52 AM
We havent been firing coaches too early and they moved on to greater things after us, Liverpool is a nut case

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 01:11 AM

I already answered why we haven't honored McKeen. I think he probably should be. Why don't you take that up with Scott or the next AD?

I know why McKeen left- our fans wanted him to run a different offense and infighting ensued between the agriculture people and the engineering people. I don't know nor do I care what Royal said- that was in the 50's and the McKeen stuff was in the 40's and not relevant anymore. I know it wasn't bad enough that Royal's own coordinator wasn't unwilling to return in Shira. We've moved past that era a LOOOOOONNNNGGG time ago and you are the only State fan that seems to be holding on to it. Heck, we moved past that during the Tyler era when we won 9 games in 74 and then again in 76. We also weren't offering a coach 4 million a year or whatever the equivalent was in the 40's-50's and we have way more support and infinitely better facilities. Closing in Davis Wade was never a realistic thought in the 50's and now it's basically a question of when not if now.

Why don't you answer which coach we have fired too soon since 1955?

Todd4State
09-25-2016, 01:18 AM
I think you are confusing when I or others have brought up Beamer in certain instances as you stay with a coach for a long time for the sake of it. That can't be further from the truth. There are criteria and situations that at the END of the season we may have to part ways with Mullen but the idea you use one game or even one season drop off (depending on how big the drop is) you automatically fire the coach is not the right answer either. Beamer and other coaches have been brought up recently because many have stated that coaches who lose to an inferior opponent or only win X number of games in season 8 or have a losing season, etc. have never turned it around. It's not true as many have accomplished such feats and have gone on to have a lot of success. Right now Dan has won approximately +.120 points higher than our schools historic average. For reference Saban is winning at .132 above Bama's average and .100 above LSU's avg while he was there. You just don't fire a coach that has won that much higher than your average until it is proven he has flattened (Mark Richt), have 2 losing seasons, or have one season of 2 wins or less, you can fire immediately in that case.

I disagree just because you have to look at the entire picture and yes, wins and losses are part of that and the biggest part of that. I think you have to look at recruiting, I think you have to look at why the program declined and determine after that year whether it is likely to be turned around based on the actions of the coach or not, you have to look at what the coaches plan is to turn the program around, and I think in our case you have to look at how the coach views the program in terms of is he giving relentless effort or does he seem burned out? Is he constantly trying to leave the program indicating that he may not really want to be here?

It's not just one thing and I think it's a case by case basis. I don't think it's a "you get two years or else" thing.

Really Clark?
09-25-2016, 08:30 AM
I disagree just because you have to look at the entire picture and yes, wins and losses are part of that and the biggest part of that. I think you have to look at recruiting, I think you have to look at why the program declined and determine after that year whether it is likely to be turned around based on the actions of the coach or not, you have to look at what the coaches plan is to turn the program around, and I think in our case you have to look at how the coach views the program in terms of is he giving relentless effort or does he seem burned out? Is he constantly trying to leave the program indicating that he may not really want to be here?

It's not just one thing and I think it's a case by case basis. I don't think it's a "you get two years or else" thing.

No kidding you disagree. No where did I say you get 2 years or else. It does depend on the situation. But without widely reported just cause, you will have a lot of difficulty finding qualified candidates. You can tell them all of that as reason why you fired him after one down year but all they will see is that you fired a very good successful coach, and in our case the best we've had in 70's years, because of one down year. All that other you mentioned will be meaningless to them.

Bully13
09-25-2016, 09:13 AM

my thinking of the situation is starting to head in this direction. there is no doubt mullen has the ability to win here and be a good coach because he's proven he can. but he has to have a burning desire to do so and for whatever reason, that tapered off. anyone who doesn't see that is blind. I would be interested to know why he wanted / wants out. to be honest, once ole miss started pulling in those bought and paid for classes via their network while we continued business as usual via bracky, I'd want the hell out too. especially since it looked like nothing was going to ever be done about it. but then things changed and it looks like ole miss is now going to get what could be a knock out punch from the ncaa. if that does indeed happen, the appeal of the MSU HC gig triples. could the turn of events with the ole miss situation change mullen's mind about his job here? is what's happening on the field presently the result of the amount of time mullen took off when he was in not give a shit mode during his job searches? or is it because he's STILL in not give a shit mode and still wanting out?

if the ncaa can force ole miss to recruit in a way we have equal shots at players as they do, a good HC that is highly motivated can have MSU football in good shape with a happy fan base.

if mullen doesn't give a shit anymore then he needs to be let go after the season. not matter how good he is or what he's done. we would have to let future candidates know why we canned him. wasn't because of a bad year or 3 straight egg bowl losses. those things can be fixed. but sometimes attitudes can't be and that's when it's time to cut ties.

it's going to be interesting to revisit this thread around the middle of February 2017.

NELA Dawg
09-25-2016, 09:29 AM

Good post, but I am not sure what the answer is. Standing still in the SEC is going backwards.

msbulldog
09-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Hail State!

shannondawg
09-25-2016, 10:07 AM
Exactly. I'm not even talking about getting rid of Mullen. I hope he turns it around, but I can see where Stricklin may opt to avoid the turmoil that this season is going to create.

If he runs from the pressure MSU puts on him, He will crap when he finds out what real pressure is down there.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2016, 10:46 AM
If he runs from the pressure MSU puts on him, He will crap when he finds out what real pressure is down there.

This. Well put, shannondawg