PDA

View Full Version : Freshmen: What we learned about ourselves from OM last night

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Been thinking about what we could learn about ourselves from what we saw from OM's freshmen last night, and I came up with two things.

1. I will be pleasantly surprised, but am not expecting Chris Jones to do much tomorrow in the form of impacting the game. I say this because DE seems to be a tough position for freshman to excel at. Last night, other than a fake punt that resulted in a missed field goal, Keeedeeecheeee had very little effect on last night's game, and the same could be said for Denico Autry last season. DE and OL seem to be positions that, no matter your talent level, require learning techniques and moves to beat a more experienced player. Due to this, I believe Chris Jones will be a great player for us in time, but if anyone is expecting him dominate tomorrow, you have unrealistic expectations.

2. After seeing OM's freshman WR and TE make plays last night, I am expecting Wilson and Ross to potentially have an impact. At WR, you are running routes, and aren't usually having to play hand combat with and older more experienced player. Due to WRs being able to run more wide open, I believe that, if given the opportunity, Ross and Wilson could have an impact tomorrow.

*I also believe that RBs can have an impact, but since I don't expect Shumpert to play, I doubt he will have impact.

Shumpert did make the trip to Houston, so we'll have to see.

Feel free to disagree with.

msstate7
08-30-2013, 08:27 PM
With the deep stable of rb's and seeing TC have success last night, I'm wondering if we should've given shump a look at safety. Wasn't he an outstanding safety prospect?

Coach34
08-30-2013, 08:33 PM
I agree about Jones- he will be solid- not outstanding this year. He has alot to learn. His Soph year is when you should start seeing him being a Boss

Shump wants to be a RB and is pretty damn good. It looks like he has already pushed Milton to 5th string and is battling to take Griffin's carries...he is good where he is. I'm not worried about safety

msstate7
08-30-2013, 08:36 PM
I guess I'm just picturing last years terrible safety play. I really hope safeties this year erase that memory

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I guess I'm just picturing last years terrible safety play. I really hope safeties this year erase that memory

I think Nicko being healthy should make a difference

msstate7
08-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I think Nicko being healthy should make a difference

That's what I've been hoping for all offseason. I would love to see the old NW blow up someone around the line of scrimmage early tomorrow. I want us to beat them up.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2013, 08:45 PM
That's what I've been hoping for all offseason. I would love to see the old NW blow up someone around the line of scrimmage early tomorrow. I want us to beat them up.

Our luck is that Nicko would do this and be the first NCAA player ejected. Just seems like something that would happen to us.

Boya
08-30-2013, 08:59 PM
This is one of the reasons why I like our strategy of red shirting raw talent.

RougeDawg
08-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Our luck is that Nicko would do this and be the first NCAA player ejected. Just seems like something that would happen to us.

Yea, on a 3rd and 48 when they only had a 15 yard gain. Thus sustaining the drive for them to score the go ahead TD. Shit like that only happens to us. We never have any "making the blind see" miracle 75 yard xbox type running plays with 90 seconds left in the game.

Bothrops
08-30-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm not worried so much about the defense tomorrow. They will get a good learning experience that should help us.I want to see Tyler Russell kick ass and bury any remaining doubt. We have got to score tds!

engie
08-30-2013, 10:19 PM

While all true, we're fine in the 2-deep at FS IMO. Dee Arrington is finally starting to live up to his billing...

Dawg61
08-30-2013, 10:26 PM
I think we see all 4 make an impact tomorrow. We are so loaded at HB we might as well play Shump if he has big play ability and it sounds like he does. Throw him a couple LP swing passes and let's see if he breaks one. Same with Wilson. Throw him some Randy Moss deep throws.

mic
08-31-2013, 12:18 AM
I think Shump plays tomorrow and contributes. he is too good. He is where he needs to be with the talent we have at LB..
I expect to see him and Perk in at the same time on a few occasions..
I would not be surprised since he made the trip that Cleveland plays ..
If some of these Frosh can make plays then play them..
I have no problem with playing some of these guys as frosh.. I do agree that we red shirt all the frosh O Lineman..
I am betting that Chris jones numbers tomorrow are better than RN and he plays half the snaps RN did.. with Ross and Wilson don't expect Paidwell numbers cause they wont get near as many looks.. and don't forget about Chappelle

Coach 57
08-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Uhhh guys have u not listened? Like Nkemdiche Jones will play both DE & DT today. When he is the DT he will be from the 3tech position. Not the conventional 2 tech. And if you people think he won't "impact" the game....where the crap have you been? This guy was giving Gabe fits from the 3 tech spot. And the last time I checked Ok St doesn't have a Gabe Jackson ALL-SEC type OG on their roster.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Uhhh guys have u not listened? Like Nkemdiche Jones will play both DE & DT today. When he is the DT he will be from the 3tech position. Not the conventional 2 tech. And if you people think he won't "impact" the game....where the crap have you been? This guy was giving Gabe fits from the 3 tech spot. And the last time I checked Ok St doesn't have a Gabe Jackson ALL-SEC type OG on their roster.

I hope to hell your right. My only basis for my comment was that we should probably assume that Nkemdiche and Jones have similar talent, and since Nkemdiche didn't have an impact, while possibly getting more playing time than Jones, I wouldn't think Jones would either. .....Unless Jones is better.

engie
08-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Nkemdiche had a huge impact on that game... Vandy focused 100% of the energy of a very good tackle on him and still largely used cut/chip blocks to slow him down, thus basically taking that tackle out of the game as well... Anytime an offense has to do this, a guy is having a big impact...

A DE/DT's impact isn't seen in a QB ending up on his back more times than not...

Coach 57
08-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Yall need to listen to engie. He's as right as rain on this one.

I seen it dawg
08-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Maybe Jones is just better than Kimchee......