PDA

View Full Version : Ole Missy back in the news.

shannondawg
09-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Evidently a senior up there posted on FB that he had a tree big enough to lynch all the protesters. They are now having a sit in the Lyceum bld protesting his remark.

He shouldn't have done that publicly but having a sit in protest is getting a little ridiculous.

starkvegasdawg
09-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Evidently a senior up there posted on FB that he had a tree big enough to lynch all the protesters. They are now having a sit in the Lyceum bld protesting his remark.

He shouldn't have done that publicly but having a sit in protest is getting a little ridiculous.

TSUN...the gift that keeps on giving.

Tripp McNeely
09-23-2016, 04:54 PM
So, they're protesting what some random student said on Twitter???

Oh well, **** em', the more bad press, the better!

shannondawg
09-23-2016, 05:15 PM
Actually the guy ended with it by saying "lets settle this wild west style. Any reasonable person would think horse thieves, cattle rustlers, murderers ect.

dawgs
09-23-2016, 05:29 PM

It'd probably be easier for students to let it go if there wasn't at least one big racist incident at ole miss every year. Throw in the fact that they played Dixie and waved the confederate flag for a large portion of many of our lifetimes, and a random guy making veiled threats about lynching black people looks a lot more like a systematic problem instead of a random, isolated student.

Dawgfan77
09-23-2016, 05:57 PM
The more things change the more they stay the same

DownwardDawg
09-23-2016, 06:16 PM
These students that are protesting.......what were they expecting? They chose to go to school at ole miss for Gods sake!!! The most racist school in America.

starkvegasdawg
09-23-2016, 06:29 PM
These students that are protesting.......what were they expecting? They chose to go to school at ole miss for Gods sake!!! The most racist school in America.

Mistakes were made.

DownwardDawg
09-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Mistakes were made.

I'd have to say yeah.

tireddawg
09-23-2016, 06:59 PM
I don't agree with what the guy posted but come on, are we gonna try to control every aspect of everyone's life? I'm no lawyer but does he have a 1st amendment claim? It does say freedom of expression from government interference. Isn't OM a government entity? Just asking, some of you guys are smarter than I on that subject

klong-dog
09-23-2016, 07:00 PM
When I first heard this, I was automatically thinking they were having another kkk rally.

TUSK
09-23-2016, 07:16 PM
I don't agree with what the guy posted but come on, are we gonna try to control every aspect of everyone's life? I'm no lawyer but does he have a 1st amendment claim? It does say freedom of expression from government interference. Isn't OM a government entity? Just asking, some of you guys are smarter than I on that subject

Technically, yes, he has the right to say whatever he likes...

Realistically, if you say things like that today, you really need to be sure you've already done your shopping for the next month, or so....

RocketDawg
09-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Technically, yes, he has the right to say whatever he likes...

Realistically, if you say things like that today, you really need to be sure you've already done your shopping for the next month, or so....

Not sure the university can justify expelling a kid for a social media post, regardless of what it is. But the fraternity can kick him out. And he's almost certainly ruined his chances in the job market.

Pretty dumb to do something like that, although it almost certainly was done in a joking manner.

LC Dawg
09-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Tomorrow someone from The Oxford Eagle will report that a Mississippi State fan told him to say it.

RocketDawg
09-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Tomorrow someone from The Oxford Eagle will report that a Mississippi State fan told him to say it.

Nah ... an MSU fan/student hacked his Facebook account. He's innocent.

shannondawg
09-23-2016, 08:27 PM
If someone would put a little bird in their ear and tell them they should move the protest to the grove tomorrow and they would get a lot more publicity. Isn't the SEC show up there tomorrow?

starkvegasdawg
09-23-2016, 08:33 PM
If someone would put a little bird in their ear and tell them they should move the protest to the grove tomorrow and they would get a lot more publicity. Isn't the SEC show up there tomorrow?
University popo would never let that happen. They'd be snatched up faster than state flags were last week.

msudawglb
09-23-2016, 08:35 PM

Old Times There Are Not Forgotten...Look Away, Look Away, Dixie Land

LC Dawg
09-23-2016, 08:56 PM

SEC Nation was there last week but if they really want some attention I'm sure they could get it with ESPN televising the game tomorrow. I hope it all blows up on national tv tomorrow.

DownwardDawg
09-23-2016, 09:23 PM

No. SEC was there last week. I think it's Knoxville tomorrow.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-23-2016, 10:11 PM

This is ignorant. As Steve said on Boneyard,this "bad press" that you think is so good is not only bad for OM it's bad for the whole state!

Tripp McNeely
09-23-2016, 10:15 PM
This is ignorant. As Steve said on Boneyard,this "bad press" that you think is so good is not only bad for OM it's bad for the whole state!

No it's not. Do the headlines say "Protest on Ole Miss campus" or "Protest on random University in Mississippi"? Target audience knows the difference...shhhh

msujan
09-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Let's re-cap:
- MS Natl Guard called in to assist in Integration of Ole Miss 1962
- Ole Miss uses plantation owner's wife nickname as university nickname, the rebel flag as the school flag, the caricature of a Southern white plantation owner as school mascot, and the song "Dixie" as its traditional game song and continues to hold the copyright on some of these phrases See http://www.olemiss.edu/info/copy.html
- ATO and students suspended for appearing in blackface 2001
- Ole Miss ends the official use by the university of the Col Reb caricature 2003 but continues to use the logo in its athletic Dept and to allow the sale of merchandise with the image 2016
- Ole Miss chooses black bear as mascot 2003 but chooses to continue the use of the Col Reb image
- anti-Obama protests on campus 2012
- student puts noose around neck of James Meredith 2014
- last Sat student Ole Miss student section displayed large (controversial) flag of state of Mississippi at football game 2016
- this week student posts lynching statement following Charlotte protests on Facebook 2016
- Ole Miss students protest lack of admin response re lynching remarks by student on FB and occupy Lyceum 2016

Why, why, WHY would an African American student choose to attend Ole Miss?,

Political Hack
09-23-2016, 10:32 PM
It was a riot on Obama. Not a protest. There's a big difference.

Liverpooldawg
09-23-2016, 10:49 PM
No. SEC was there last week. I think it's Knoxville tomorrow.

I think Gameday is in Knoxville.

confucius say
09-23-2016, 11:01 PM

Depends on whether it's a "true threat." If so, it would not be protected by first am

the59dawg
09-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Let's re-cap:
- MS Natl Guard called in to assist in Integration of Ole Miss 1962
- Ole Miss uses plantation owner's wife nickname as university nickname, the rebel flag as the school flag, the caricature of a Southern white plantation owner as school mascot, and the song "Dixie" as its traditional game song and continues to hold the copyright on some of these phrases See http://www.olemiss.edu/info/copy.html
- ATO and students suspended for appearing in blackface 2001
- Ole Miss ends the official use by the university of the Col Reb caricature 2003 but continues to use the logo in its athletic Dept and to allow the sale of merchandise with the image 2016
- Ole Miss chooses black bear as mascot 2003 but chooses to continue the use of the Col Reb image
- anti-Obama protests on campus 2012
- student puts noose around neck of James Meredith 2014
- last Sat student Ole Miss student section displayed large (controversial) flag of state of Mississippi at football game 2016
- this week student posts lynching statement following Charlotte protests on Facebook 2016
- Ole Miss students protest lack of admin response re lynching remarks by student on FB and occupy Lyceum 2016

Chancellor said not nice thing to say on social media.

BossDawg
09-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Depends on whether it's a "true threat." If so, it would not be protected by first am

This. The 1st Amendment does not protect defamation, hate speech, inciting violence, etc.

HOWEVER, most of the population is conditioned to believe the 1st Amendment means you can say whatever you want when you want, and there have been lots of certain groups of people getting away with violating the 1st Amendment in the past decade or so.

Dawgbite
09-24-2016, 05:27 AM
SEC Nation is at Auburn. Watched Feinbaum yesterday and he had Tom Lugenbill live from the Grove as he is doing the game today.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-24-2016, 08:06 AM

I agree with you here. I like seeing Ole Miss get bad publicity as much as any State fan, but I mean this is pretty ridiculous. Why is the university being protested? This person has no affiliation with the school besides being a student. He is not an official spokesman in any way shape or form. His post is stupid, and there should be some social consequences for publishing something so damn stupid on the internet, but any sensible person knows that this is not a real credited threat. The people protesting are trying to start trouble where there is none in the first place.

There will always be stupid and bigoted people out there (on both sides) but you simply can't control what people think. Try to do so and you walk a very dangerous line. Sorry for this people more of a politics post.

TheRef
09-24-2016, 09:16 AM
What those who were sitting in the Lyceum were doing was trying to get the chancellor to expell the student for hate speech. If they didn't, they would continue to protest until he is expelled and kicked off campus.

Virgil Caine
09-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Regarding the 1A conversation, OM has the ability to create a stable, inviting learning environment, and I'm sure they have something in their student handbook that says when someone is a certain level of threatening, OM can do something. Threats of lynching are surely enough to make black students feel unsafe in a classroom, dorm, etc.

Mutt the Hoople
09-24-2016, 11:03 AM
https://www.auckland.ac.nz/theinsideword/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/money-gif.gif