PDA

View Full Version : 12 of 12

justwin
09-23-2016, 10:23 AM
of our 1Q offensive plays vs LSU had Holloway in the game for every play. LSU doesn't respect the run and we conveniently give away those drives and get down 14-0 making ourselves one dimensional.

IT DOES NOT WORK. IT DID NOT WORK VS LSU & IT WON'T WORK VS THE OTHER SEC WEST TEAMS AS LSU ISN'T EVEN ONE OF THE BETTER SECW DEFENSES THIS YEAR. STOP THIS TREND.

The first drive Aeris plays in 2Q, we score points b/c LSU has to respect the run. Opens everything up. Same deal in 3Q when the "new" Shump runs hards and opens everything up.

Big backs make a positive difference & it pays off later in the game as defenses tire. Football 101.

Miles said at pregame that LF7 was no doubt going to play a bunch and his 28 carries and 2 tds are why they won despite his ankle. It was almost as Les wanted to laugh in the face of the sideline reporter when asked...twas hilarious. His 2 fumbles are trumped by the production. Big backs like the 5 we have only get better throughout the game.

Jet sweeps only to Holloway. He should be on the field no more than 3 plays a quarter. He should run as hard as possible those 3 plays to the edges for positive yards then go rest up for the next 3 plays next quarter. That frees up 40+ plays for our big backs to rotate in. Every other SEC team does this. Every one.

In 2014, MSU ran 16 first quarter plays vs LSU. J-Rob played all of those snaps and we led 14-0 after 1Q. J-Rob had 4 carries for 45 yards and a td....there's the blueprint for getting up early. LSU didn't respect the run and they paid for it as J-Rob broke tackles and gained yardage, scored.

I think J-Rob was valued as a much lower recruit than Aeris and Gibson too so I can't believe that any of the 5 backs we have can't replicate what he did.

Reward your OL and allow them to gain confidence run blocking for any of our 5 that can break tackles.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 10:31 AM
I like Holloway in the passing game. On the year, he has 10 catches for 71 yards. I don't lose that part of holloway's game, but yeah, his carries have to be reduced to optimize him and the offense

AROB44
09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Yawn....this must be a rerun....

BB30
09-23-2016, 10:34 AM

I hope Dan just does some of this so we don't get this post every single week Whether or not it works. Broke record.

justwin
09-23-2016, 10:35 AM

It'd be different if it was incorrect.

confucius say
09-23-2016, 10:54 AM

I actually appreciate the analysis with supporting numbers.

Homedawg
09-23-2016, 11:15 AM

It's Groundhog Day in September......

DancingRabbit
09-23-2016, 11:52 AM
"12 of 12 of our 1Q offensive plays vs LSU had Holloway in the game for every play."

Pretty sure that's incorrect.

3rd series, off. plays 10-12, Shump was in the backfield. Score was 7-0 at the time.

But carry on.

HSVDawg
09-23-2016, 12:16 PM
So Holloway should play less and other bigger RB's should play more. Thanks for the refreshing new take. That horse might still be breathing so better hit him a few more times.

BB30
09-23-2016, 12:26 PM

To compare JRob to any current back on our roster is doing a disservice to JRob and just how good he was. I don't care what star rating any of our current backs were none of them are even in the same neighborhood as Josh. So in my opinion that is a fairly incorrect assessment. JRob also got to play beside the best QB in our history. You don't think that in the first half LSU was daring us to throw the football? They most certainly knew the only way they get beat is if they let Fitz run the football. It was never going to work. The power run opened up in the second half because LSU was up 20 points and was trying to limit big plays that would get us back in the game. They weren't worried about giving up 4 yards here and 4 yards there so long as we did not score in 2-3 plays.

Now do I think we have some personnel issues in the backfield yes. Do I think we have the answer sitting on the bench, no.

LC Dawg
09-23-2016, 01:14 PM
So let me see if I understand. Running Holloway up the middle is a bad idea?

Jack Lambert
09-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Shirley your'e not serious?

TimberBeast
09-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Now do I think we have some personnel issues in the backfield yes. Do I think we have the answer sitting on the bench, no.

Well we'll never know will we? That's the real problem.

BB30
09-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Actually, yes I think we have all now seen why Aeris is not playing. Before last week everyone was blasting Mullen for not playing him more now this week crickets on Aeris.... Weird. Now, it is play Shump where last year he was getting bashed by everyone here. The argument just jumps from player to player. We do not have a true SEC caliber RB on the roster that is ready to help us immediately bottom line. Not saying there is not one there that just is not developed yet but we do not have one that is ready to help us this season. Shump did show some signs of life last week and I am sure we will get to see more of him this week. I hope he has turned the corner. Teams are going to key on Fitz and his running ability and try to force us to beat them through the air. We do not have the talent to line up and run it into an 7-8 man box.

Now granted this is my opinion as everyone else has, so take it with a grain of salt. I just don't think running the football for sake of running the football when a defense is begging you to do that is going to work.

justwin
09-26-2016, 03:25 PM
I hope Dan just does some of this so we don't get this post every single week Whether or not it works. Broke record.

A broke record is 2013 to 2014 using the small rb way too much only to be proven a year later that using the bigger rb works and will get you to a #1 ranking with virtually the same OL talent/scheme

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm really not, but after watching Aub beat LSU by committing to their 4th and 5th string RBs and committing to giving them ~40 carries works. Every other SEC team gives to the big RBs except us. We wasted J-Rob in 2013 just like we're doing this year. We wasted the 1H vs LSU by running the small RB.

justwin
09-26-2016, 03:26 PM
So Holloway should play less and other bigger RB's should play more. Thanks for the refreshing new take. That horse might still be breathing so better hit him a few more times.

Did you know that after Aeris scored vs UMASS midway through 3Q that MSU ran 21 more offensive plays remaiinder of game. No, Aeris didn't play in any of those. That stat is crazy to me. He scores and never sees the field again. Why? What do you think about that?

justwin
09-26-2016, 03:27 PM

We actually do know. 2013 vs 2014 is all the evidence you need.

justwin
09-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Actually, yes I think we have all now seen why Aeris is not playing. Before last week everyone was blasting Mullen for not playing him more now this week crickets on Aeris.... Weird. Now, it is play Shump where last year he was getting bashed by everyone here. The argument just jumps from player to player. We do not have a true SEC caliber RB on the roster that is ready to help us immediately bottom line. Not saying there is not one there that just is not developed yet but we do not have one that is ready to help us this season. Shump did show some signs of life last week and I am sure we will get to see more of him this week. I hope he has turned the corner. Teams are going to key on Fitz and his running ability and try to force us to beat them through the air. We do not have the talent to line up and run it into an 7-8 man box.

Now granted this is my opinion as everyone else has, so take it with a grain of salt. I just don't think running the football for sake of running the football when a defense is begging you to do that is going to work.

you make good points. I think Auburn beating LSU with a below avg QB and 4th/5th string RBs, all of which are big & powerful, kind of prove that committing to the big backs does work.

TimberBeast
09-26-2016, 03:35 PM
you make good points. I think Auburn beating LSU with a below avg QB and 4th/5th string RBs, all of which are big & powerful, kind of prove that committing to the big backs does work.

Of course it works. Aries hasn't been given a fair shot, period.

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 03:43 PM
I said during the game thread he made a really good TD run. His first 3 carries were bad but the line caused the bulk of that. And those carries were in the 1st quarter. I really thought Shump was the more consistant of the two and deserved to finish off the game and did very well. Didn't I also see Shump and Aeris in the backfield together some. Aeris just didn't get his number called a couple of times.

BB30
09-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Yea, it probably would if we didn't have a sub par OL. Our biggest problem with our running game is the OL in my opinion. Hershel Walker couldn't run behind some of the O lines we have had. I will say our O line has improved some from last year but not much. I may be wrong but I think one of the reasons Dan is not running the "Relf" offense is because we do not have the personnel to do it. And again that falls on his shoulders so it is really a mute point as to what is causing the issues with our running game. Everything starts up front on both sides of the ball.