PDA

View Full Version : Mullen can be such a shit...

CadaverDawg
09-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Caller called in tonight and asked when we'd see Malik Dear....meaning "more of him" of course. Mullen's response, "he's played in the last 2 games". Turd.

It was funny hearing him talk about the long travel though. Said planes aren't made for 6'5 300 lbs. Said the whole team is made up of the big dude you hope isn't sitting next to you when boarding a plane. Said they have to stick kickers in between all those big guys to give them a little room. Ha. I bet 2.5 hours on a plane at 6'5 300 is a nightmare....especially sitting next to 2 more the same size

Jarius
09-22-2016, 08:12 PM
He should sit his starting tailback in between them. That would give them more room than our kicker.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2016, 08:14 PM
He prob flew up Tuesday so he could get some family time.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Or interview at BC...

TimberBeast
09-22-2016, 08:20 PM
He should sit his starting tailback in between them. That would give them more room than our kicker.

It would be the only time he ever got between them too.

Barking 13
09-22-2016, 08:28 PM

rep points given... I spit tea....

blacklistedbully
09-22-2016, 08:32 PM

Beat me to it! Was going to say it would be so unfamiliar he'd worry he was on the wrong flight.

Bothrops
09-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Caller called in tonight and asked when we'd see Malik Dear....meaning "more of him" of course. Mullen's response, "he's played in the last 2 games". Turd.

It was funny hearing him talk about the long travel though. Said planes aren't made for 6'5 300 lbs. Said the whole team is made up of the big dude you hope isn't sitting next to you when boarding a plane. Said they have to stick kickers in between all those big guys to give them a little room. Ha. I bet 2.5 hours on a plane at 6'5 300 is a nightmare....especially sitting next to 2 more the same size

I think he hates us now.

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 08:57 PM
I think he hates us now.

Good. I hate his half assed effort in the Egg Bowl and against South Alabama.

TUSK
09-22-2016, 09:29 PM

"Planes"... we talkin' 'bout "planes"?

Yall need to let me put ya in a (slightly used) much better mode of transportation... MDL has upgraded...

basedog
09-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Dear is his worse enemy. Two strikes with one more and his gone.

I see nothing wrong with Mullen's answer. JWS use to do the same thing.

DancingRabbit
09-22-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm sorta surprised any P5 coaches take phone calls on shows anymore.

Apoplectic
09-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Good. I hate his half assed effort in the Egg Bowl and against South Alabama.

I'm there too. He's always underperformed his talent but we were happy to win more than 7 and didn't know better. Please leave now, you smug ass.

RocketDawg
09-22-2016, 09:42 PM

What's he been doing to get in the doghouse?

HereComesTheSpiral
09-22-2016, 09:49 PM

Well they tried to block them from putting their carry-on in the bins, but the 300 pounders whiffed

lamont
09-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Guy from Greenville called in and asked about the RB situation. We do we run a 5'2 RB off tackle but have 5 more bigger RB's on the sideline.

Mullen was condescending in his answer. Instead of talking about the inside zone- which he knew damn well what the caller was talking about- he used that time to basically say we had 32 running plays. Which is really bullshit- we have about 5, but we block them different ways and run them right and left. You may call Inside zone Right and Inside zone Left 2 different plays- I just call them same play, other way. He also said "we dont have a play called 'off-tackle' in the playbook." Well no shit Dan Walsh, but 80% of the inside zone runs end up between the tackles. Running Holloway on the inside zone track time after time is moronic.

Then he talked about how we play 3 TB's. It was as if they all play the same amount.

Just being a condescending dick when the guy wanted an answer on why Holloway gets so many more carries than the other TB's

TimberBeast
09-22-2016, 10:11 PM
What's he been doing to get in the doghouse?

Gaining positive yardage?

TimberBeast
09-22-2016, 10:12 PM
Guy from Greenville called in and asked about the RB situation. We do we run a 5'2 RB off tackle but have 5 more bigger RB's on the sideline.

Mullen was condescending in his answer. Instead of talking about the inside zone- which he knew damn well what the caller was talking about- he used that time to basically say we had 32 running plays. Which is really bullshit- we have about 5, but we block them different ways and run them right and left. You may call Inside zone Right and Inside zone Left 2 different plays- I just call them same play, other way. He also said "we dont have a play called 'off-tackle' in the playbook." Well no shit Dan Walsh, but 80% of the inside zone runs end up between the tackles. Running Holloway on the inside zone track time after time is moronic.

Then he talked about how we play 3 TB's. It was as if they all play the same amount.

Just being a condescending dick when the guy wanted an answer on why Holloway gets so many more carries than the other TB's

That's likely because he knows there isn't a justifiable answer.

msstate7
09-22-2016, 10:18 PM

I'm really not sure what you want him to say to some random caller. Would you prefer that he say yeah, Holloway sucks? How about yeah I'm clueless? I really don't care what Dan says on his call in show... I just hope he goes back to shump after the 2nd half success shump had last week.

lamont
09-22-2016, 10:38 PM
I'm really not sure what you want him to say to some random caller.

"Yes, I realize Holloway is very small. We have to run him on the inside zone some to keep defenses honest- but its obviously not his strong suit. We start him because IN MY OPINION- he gives us the best chance to win. Shump and Aeris rotate in- giving us 3 TB's that play. Holloway gets the bulk of the carries because he knows the offense better than anybody else. The younger guys just arent ready yet to perform the way our offense needs them to."

Thats a much better answer than being a condescending dick- wouldnt you agree?

Red Sox Dawg
09-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Don't you think he meant how many rushes against LSU? That's what the stats show. 32 rushes

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 10:49 PM
"Yes, I realize Holloway is very small. We have to run him on the inside zone some to keep defenses honest- but its obviously not his strong suit. We start him because IN MY OPINION- he gives us the best chance to win. Shump and Aeris rotate in- giving us 3 TB's that play. Holloway gets the bulk of the carries because he knows the offense better than anybody else. The younger guys just arent ready yet to perform the way our offense needs them to."

That's also a better answer than they "have to earn carries on special teams".

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 10:50 PM
Don't you think he meant how many rushes against LSU? That's what the stats show. 32 rushes

I would think that is likely a coincidence. I think it's exactly like Random said- he's calling inside zone left and inside zone right two different plays.

GTHOM
09-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Idk why yall are surprised hes always been that way. We have to beat auburn or this is gonna be an epic disaster

Red Sox Dawg
09-22-2016, 11:02 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence, I think he literally meant we had 32 running plays against LSU not 32 running plays in the playbook. I would be surprised if we had more than about 12 base running plays in the playbook. Gimmicks and trick plays would push that number up, but I really don't think he meant that we have 32 rushing plays in the playbook, I think he was referring to how many times we ran it against LSU. He was probably trying to explain why the other backs didn't get carries. That's my take. He isn't very good at communicating when he gets annoyed.

Indndawg
09-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Do 3* get an upgrade over the diamonds in the rough?
3 stars-1st class
2 stars-business class
1 star-economy

I seen it dawg
09-23-2016, 05:59 AM

But Jackie Wayne was the Kang...Mullen not so much

I seen it dawg
09-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Do 3* get an upgrade over the diamonds in the rough?
3 stars-1st class
2 stars-business class
1 star-economy

Then hev, Knox and sallach must have had to start walking Sunday. Long walk to Boston from Starkville.

lamont
09-23-2016, 06:23 AM

No- he was clear about what he was saying. Even named a lot of them. Read, counter, speed option, etc

lamont
09-23-2016, 06:26 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence, I think he literally meant we had 32 running plays against LSU not 32 running plays in the playbook. I would be surprised if we had more than about 12 base running plays in the playbook. Gimmicks and trick plays would push that number up, but I really don't think he meant that we have 32 rushing plays in the playbook, I think he was referring to how many times we ran it against LSU. He was probably trying to explain why the other backs didn't get carries. That's my take. He isn't very good at communicating when he gets annoyed.

Nope. He was crystal clear. Even talked about how at another school they had 72 DIFFERENT running plays one week. He was crystal clear about what he was saying and being a condescending dick.

"We have 32 different running plays and none of them are 'off tackle'.

Dawgtini
09-23-2016, 06:42 AM
A lot of crusty vajayjay's in this post. Smh

Dawgface
09-23-2016, 06:51 AM

I do agree. You need to be his p/r consultant.

smootness
09-23-2016, 06:59 AM
I'm there too. He's always underperformed his talent

Hahahahahahaha

msstate7
09-23-2016, 07:06 AM
Hahahahahahaha

You haven't been here much lately. Mullen is the only reason we aren't a national power with annual top 10 recruiting classes.

djaymsu5
09-23-2016, 07:38 AM

It's sad that anyone even has to call and ask him about that stupid crap. We have so much talent he is just wasting. I'm so sick of the damn excuses.

Jack Lambert
09-23-2016, 07:43 AM
But Jackie Wayne was the Kang...Mullen not so much

Jackie didn't have to coach in the West with West being so strong. The West was weak back in the 90's. The East was strong. Kind of the opposite now. Put any West team in the east the past few seasons and they win the East.

smootness
09-23-2016, 07:53 AM
You haven't been here much lately. Mullen is the only reason we aren't a national power with annual top 10 recruiting classes.

And it's precisely because of stuff like the post I quoted. Just needed a quick laugh this morning.

Mjoelner34
09-23-2016, 08:11 AM
"Holloway gets the bulk of the carries because he knows the offense better than anybody else. The younger guys just arent ready yet to perform the way our offense needs them to."

Which should automatically lead to the next question...."Why?" Why did Williams go the wrong way twice and whiff a block in the backfield in limited playing time after 3 years in the program? Can the younger guys get plowed over like a squishy turd under a dumptruck while pass blocking then follow that up by getting half a yard up the middle? There are 3 possible answers 1. A hard-headed head coach 2. A clueless position coach 3. Poor evaluation of talent when recruiting. I know we don't have a stable full of 5 stars but I highly doubt we're seeing what we're seeing because of #3.

AROB44
09-23-2016, 08:24 AM

Plus....how many on here would like every Tom, DIck and Harry call in to a public show and ask them to justify every decision they made at their place of work. How many on here have reached the pinnacle of their profession like Mullen has? But, of course, they know much more than him. And...he is a YANKEE which disqualifies him automatically from knowing what the hell he is doing.

basedog
09-23-2016, 08:25 AM
I didn't see Hev on the sidelines during the Lsu game, maybe he was in the press box which would be kinda odd as he has never done that in the past.

As for as the questions to Coaches, it's all Coach Talk or Speak, Mullen being Mullen and now haters gonna hate more.

I haven't listened to a talk show with Msu coaches in years, glad I don't as I bet some of y'all didn't take your blood pressure medication before the show. Allen Iverson would say "it's a talk show mane, c'mon"! We all know it's bad seeing Holloway up the middle, do y'all really think Mullen is gonna change this, hell no, why worry?

tcdog70
09-23-2016, 08:43 AM
There is not much that MSU fans all agree on. The one unifying thing is We are all sick-sick-sick of Hollaway up the middle. It has definitely brought the fan base together. We are all pissed that we start most downs off behind the chains, second and nine or on a good run second and eight. So if our arrogant yankee HC has done nothing else , He has brought us all together on this.

Cooterpoot
09-23-2016, 08:50 AM
I thought everybody wanted the old "a hole Dan" back. Now, everybody's complaining about that too?

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 09:17 AM

I would take top 15-20. Which is very realistic and where we should be.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Which should automatically lead to the next question...."Why?" Why did Williams go the wrong way twice and whiff a block in the backfield in limited playing time after 3 years in the program? Can the younger guys get plowed over like a squishy turd under a dumptruck while pass blocking then follow that up by getting half a yard up the middle? There are 3 possible answers 1. A hard-headed head coach 2. A clueless position coach 3. Poor evaluation of talent when recruiting. I know we don't have a stable full of 5 stars but I highly doubt we're seeing what we're seeing because of #3.

Well that's part of the bad thing about the running backs. Shumpert, Aries, and Nick Gibson are all four star guys. I think Aeris just had a bad game. He has performed otherwise. Shumpert has looked better and we haven't seen Gibson yet.

Beaver
09-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Well no shit Dan Walsh, but 80% of the inside zone runs end up between the tackles. Running Holloway on the inside zone track time after time is moronic.

True, but Holloway only had 5 carries last week, and only 2 were inside zone. Shumpert actually had 6 carries. Holloway certainly had wayyyy too many carries against USA and USC, but MAYBE Mullen made the adjustment against LSU. Could be wrong, but I think we'll know after tomorrow if Dan really wants Holloway as his feature back...

Apoplectic
09-23-2016, 09:23 AM

Todd are we brothers from another mother?

Abso-17n-lutely, we pay this narcissistic prick top 20 money and we should be getting top 20 results. Good grief we're not asking him to be as good as a Louisville coach or hell even a Houston coach. Win the games you're supposed to and show up for big games so that Verne doesn't have to chortle about the beautiful campus.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Throwing out freeze's first class and his current one, om's recruiting classes have avg'd out to 11.3. They've got an awful lot of violations to show for 11th in the country. I think 18-25th in the country is about where we should land

MadDawg
09-23-2016, 09:44 AM
I think he hates us now.

Mission Accomplished !!1!11!!

Beaver
09-23-2016, 09:45 AM

Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, USCw, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Clemson

That's 16 teams that should pretty much always beat out us in recruiting. So, in order to be in top 15-20, we need to consistently beat out teams like Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Stanford, UCLA, Oregon, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Arkansas.

So to me, I think 16-24 is a very realistic and attainable goal for recruiting...

smootness
09-23-2016, 10:10 AM

Abso-17n-lutely, we pay this narcissistic prick top 20 money and we should be getting top 20 results. Good grief we're not asking him to be as good as a Louisville coach or hell even a Houston coach. Win the games you're supposed to and show up for big games so that Verne doesn't have to chortle about the beautiful campus.

If you don't think taking State to #1 in the country, the Orange Bowl, and 55 wins in 7 years after inheriting what he did is a top-20 coaching job, then you're completely insane.

Jarius
09-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Plus....how many on here would like every Tom, DIck and Harry call in to a public show and ask them to justify every decision they made at their place of work. How many on here have reached the pinnacle of their profession like Mullen has? But, of course, they know much more than him. And...he is a YANKEE which disqualifies him automatically from knowing what the hell he is doing.

If I was a state employee that made nearly 5 million dollars a year and had just lost to South Alabama and looked like I wasn't going to make a bowl game with a schedule that includes 4 non conference cream puffs and 2 SEC East cream puffs, I would probably just suck it up and not be a condescending ass hole.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Delete

AROB44
09-23-2016, 10:35 AM
The "state" is not paying 5 million a year.....most of that comes from other sources. As for being a "condescending asshole"....that is a matter of opinion, I guess. I really don't know what people expect him to say. They really want him to say that he agrees with the caller and will not play Holloway any more.

dawgday166
09-23-2016, 10:36 AM
If you don't think taking State to #1 in the country, the Orange Bowl, and 55 wins in 7 years after inheriting what he did is a top-20 coaching job, then you're completely insane.

Dan is 5 - 33 against teams ranked in the top 25 at the time we played them. In our #1 for 5 weeks 2014 year he was 3 - 3. By comparison, Bill Snyder is 23 - 43 at K State. 1 in 3 (or a little better) is somewhat reasonable IMO. However Dan is 1 - 6.6 against top 25. Dan wins 1 out of every 7.6 games against the top 25.

With 12 game schedule, 4 cupcake OOC games, and almost always playing 2 cellar dwelling SEC E teams (even the traditional east powers are usually down when we play them), that's 6 auto wins every year.

The personnel he inherited, including the 2009 recruiting class which Croom had put together, wasn't all that bad. The O-line and D personnel were pretty decent. He didn't inherit a total mess like Rick Ray did.

Taking all of this into account: I personally don't believe that is a top 25 coaching job.

smootness
09-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Dan is 5 - 33 against teams ranked in the top 25 at the time we played them. In our #1 for 5 weeks 2014 year he was 3 - 3. By comparison, Bill Snyder is 23 - 43 at K State. 1 in 3 (or a little better) is somewhat reasonable IMO. However Dan is 1 - 6.6 against top 25. Dan wins 1 out of every 7.6 games against the top 25.

With 12 game schedule, 4 cupcake OOC games, and almost always playing 2 cellar dwelling SEC E teams (even the traditional east powers are usually down when we play them), that's 6 auto wins every year.

The personnel he inherited, including the 2009 recruiting class which Croom had put together, wasn't all that bad. The O-line and D personnel were pretty decent. He didn't inherit a total mess like Rick Ray did.

Taking all of this into account: I personally don't believe that is a top 25 coaching job.

And Bill Snyder is a great coach, one of the best in the country.

Yes, I would love to see Mullen be better against the top 25. Of course. But what I said stands. He has absolutely done a top-20 coaching job here, and to think otherwise is to have completely lost perspective.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 10:41 AM

AFCA region 2 coach of the year
AP sec coach of the year
Athlon sec coach of the year
Maxwell football club coach of the year

Now obviously, you're much more intelligent when it comes to football than these groups, but I do think the above awards should remove doubt from most that Dan did a "top 25" coaching job

dawgday166
09-23-2016, 10:45 AM
And Bill Snyder is a great coach, one of the best in the country.

Yes, I would love to see Mullen be better against the top 25. Of course. But what I said stands. He has absolutely done a top-20 coaching job here, and to think otherwise is to have completely lost perspective.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I keep hoping he'll turn the corner but it ain't happening (although while he's here I would be thrilled to be pleasantly surprised in the other direction).

I'd sorta like to show up and give Bama a good tussle (and smack them in the mouth some) most years, not just roll over and play dead every single time we play them. And I DEFINITELY would like to beat OM when we should, and not roll over and play dead. To me ... everything comes back to the head man in charge.

dawgday166
09-23-2016, 10:46 AM
AFCA region 2 coach of the year
AP sec coach of the year
Athlon sec coach of the year
Maxwell football club coach of the year

Now obviously, you're much more intelligent when it comes to football than these groups, but I do think the above awards should remove doubt from most that Dan did a "top 25" coaching job

Croom was coach of the year the year before he got fired. Just sayin.

ETA: Without researching it that would be 2014 I'm thinking. He did do a top 25 job that year. I'll give him that.

Jarius
09-23-2016, 10:46 AM
The "state" is not paying 5 million a year.....most of that comes from other sources. As for being a "condescending asshole"....that is a matter of opinion, I guess. I really don't know what people expect him to say. They really want him to say that he agrees with the caller and will not play Holloway any more.

The state, along with the fans that he likes to be a jerk to are paying enough of that 5 million dollars to where he should put on a happy face to them and not be an ass. This is the second week in a row he's been that way to people that help pay his salary.

HoopsCoach21
09-23-2016, 10:55 AM

How many of those top 25 that K State played were top 10? Top 5? Like we have to play every year. Also a little easier to prepare a team against one or 2 top teams as opposed to playing an SEC West schedule. But by all means lets continue to compare our coach to one of the best ever.

And Dan has beat those cupcake teams and those down SEC East teams every year prior to USA.

I think Dan has made several mistakes and has some flaws but he's done a lot here and I want to see how the year plays out.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 11:02 AM
We have two top 20 classes the past five years. It's doable. We don't have to beat out Penn State, Michigan State, and South Carolina every year. Just beat them out every couple of years or so.

dawgday166
09-23-2016, 11:04 AM
I think Dan has made several mistakes and has some flaws but he's done a lot here and I want to see how the year plays out.

If I counted correctly he's 2 - 15 against teams ranked below 10. Outside of 2014 he beat a #25 OM and a #22 FL.

I'm ok with letting the year play out. And I hope I'm surprised in a good way (or shocked would be a better word).

msstate7
09-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Not too long ago, I would've been piling on Mullen with the rest here. Cohen taught me a lesson though. I was one of the main ones calling for Cohen's head after a terrible year (dead last in sec). I was wrong though and Cohen proved himself last year by winning the sec. It's kind of interesting looking at Cohen vs Mullen...

Cohen --
'13 = great year
'14 = good year
'15 = down year
'16 = great year

Mullen --
'14 = great year
'15 = good year
'16 = definitely looking to be a down year
'17 = ?

Just like Cohen deserved another shot after a down year, Mullen will deserve one next year too.

Really Clark?
09-23-2016, 11:08 AM

Synders first 8 years he was 3-18-1 against top 25 teams.

HoopsCoach21
09-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Synders first 8 years he was 3-18-1 against top 25 teams.

So that averages out to winning about 17% and Dan is at around 15% if I calculated correctly. Pretty close.

Dan has also played against 38 top 25 teams so far. Thats almost 5 a year to prep for vs. Snyder playing against 22 which is around 3 a year.

dawgday166
09-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Not too long ago, I would've been piling on Mullen with the rest here. Cohen taught me a lesson though. I was one of the main ones calling for Cohen's head after a terrible year (dead last in sec). I was wrong though and Cohen proved himself last year by winning the sec. It's kind of interesting looking at Cohen vs Mullen...

Cohen --
'13 = great year
'14 = good year
'15 = down year
'16 = great year

Mullen --
'14 = great year
'15 = good year
'17 = ?

Just like Cohen deserved another shot after a down year, Mullen will deserve one next year too.

I'll ponder this one some. I was wrong about Cohen too. Do wish he'd quit bunting in early inning after getting the leadoff guy on 2nd tho **** I'm ok with most of his other bunting strategies.

I may give Dan a break one more year if the D staff stays in place. If not I think it's time to make a change. You'll never be consistent turning your D staff over every damn year.

ETA: I don't think next year will be good cause then we'll really be "young" (on the OL and DL .. which is where ballgames are won/lost).

MadDawg
09-23-2016, 11:15 AM

I did an analysis of this a few weeks ago. My data wasn't for teams ranked "at the time" but rather teams ranked at the end of the year. It actually started when I heard another stat used to slam Mullen - that he is 1-24 against SEC teams with a winning record. That sounds horrible too, doesn't it?

Here's some figures to consider (thru 2015):

Mullen is 1-24 against SEC teams that finished WITH A WINNING SEC RECORD.
Mullen is 3-3 against SEC teams that finished 4-4.
The average ranking of the SEC teams that finished with a winning record that Mullen has lost to: #7.625
Number of games in the 24 losses above that were against THE #1 TEAM in the country: 5
Number of games in the 24 losses above that were against TOP 5 TEAMS: 12 (half of the losses)
Number of games in the 24 losses above that were to teams ranked #16-25: 4

So what do you derive from this? Mullen's record against the top 25 that is thrown around is a little misleading. Mullen doesn't have the luxury of playing many teams ranked 16-25. Without even looking I would bet you that 23-43 record by Bill Snyder is almost completely made up of teams ranked 16-25, or close to it.

Really Clark?
09-23-2016, 11:17 AM
So that averages out to winning about 17% and Dan is at around 15% if I calculated correctly. Pretty close.

Dan has also played against 38 top 25 teams so far. Thats almost 5 a year to prep for vs. Snyder playing against 22 which is around 3 a year.

Actually with the tie you have to say 3.5/22 which is 16% for Synder. Dan is 13.16%

DancingRabbit
09-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Dan's such a big meanie! And he's a Yankee!

Did I mention he's a Yankee?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/016/leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

Really Clark?
09-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Also Synder's win percentage his first 8 years is .595. If Dan wins 4 more games this year he will still have a higher win percentage than Synder's first 8 years.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 11:42 AM

Cohen --
'13 = great year
'14 = good year
'15 = down year
'16 = great year

Mullen --
'14 = great year
'15 = good year
'17 = ?

You're just looking at won/loss record and not the entire picture. Cohen has been recruiting at a much higher level than Dan has and the way Cohen handled 2015 was much better than the way Dan is handling things now. There has never been a question about Cohen wanting to be here or giving full effort. In the offseason last year, Cohen went out and got a Will Coggin which helped improve our hitting a good bit. He also improved the pitching coach position when the opportunity arose.

Now yes, wins/losses are part of the big picture as well no question about it. But we need to let the year play out and see if Dan will make the necessary changes or if he turns it around this year, but I don't necessarily agree that Dan "deserves" a bad season IF he doesn't show any effort on his part to make changes.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 11:46 AM
You're just looking at won/loss record and not the entire picture. Cohen has been recruiting at a much higher level than Dan has and the way Cohen handled 2015 was much better than the way Dan is handling things now. There has never been a question about Cohen wanting to be here or giving full effort. In the offseason last year, Cohen went out and got a Will Coggin which helped improve our hitting a good bit. He also improved the pitching coach position when the opportunity arose.

Now yes, wins/losses are part of the big picture as well no question about it. But we need to let the year play out and see if Dan will make the necessary changes or if he turns it around this year, but I don't necessarily agree that Dan "deserves" a bad season IF he doesn't show any effort on his part to make changes.

I think Buckley and Sirmon esp are improvements over what we had and we made other staff changes which may pay off later like Peterson. Mullen also hitting the juco trail this year like Cohen did in '15

MadDawg
09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
.......but I don't necessarily agree that Dan "deserves" a bad season IF he doesn't show any effort on his part to make changes.

Kind of like Cutcliffe.

dawgday166
09-23-2016, 11:52 AM

This is sorta where I'm at too. He has consistently shown me that he is unwilling to make course corrections in what he is doing, that could help improve things. The things he's not doing well now are the same as they were 8 years ago. And it's not just who to play where. Or the vanilla play calling either. It's several other things on top of those.

We'll see how season plays out. However, I think next year could be maybe worse since the OL and DL will both be young and we'll have to break in a new center along with it. We're recruiting a bunch of Jucos which would be ok in most instances except, the coaching staff's track record in developing those quickly isn't that stellar to say the least.

HoopsCoach21
09-23-2016, 11:54 AM
I did an analysis of this a few weeks ago. My data wasn't for teams ranked "at the time" but rather teams ranked at the end of the year. It actually started when I heard another stat used to slam Mullen - that he is 1-24 against SEC teams with a winning record. That sounds horrible too, doesn't it?

Here's some figures to consider (thru 2015):

Mullen is 1-24 against SEC teams that finished WITH A WINNING SEC RECORD.
Mullen is 3-3 against SEC teams that finished 4-4.
The average ranking of the SEC teams that finished with a winning record that Mullen has lost to: #7.625
Number of games in the 24 losses above that were against THE #1 TEAM in the country: 5
Number of games in the 24 losses above that were against TOP 5 TEAMS: 12 (half of the losses)
Number of games in the 24 losses above that were to teams ranked #16-25: 4

So what do you derive from this? Mullen's record against the top 25 that is thrown around is a little misleading. Mullen doesn't have the luxury of playing many teams ranked 16-25. Without even looking I would bet you that 23-43 record by Bill Snyder is almost completely made up of teams ranked 16-25, or close to it.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at earlier in the thread just much more detailed and informative. Good job putting those numbers together.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 11:58 AM
This is sorta where I'm at too. He has consistently shown me that he is unwilling to make course corrections in what he is doing, that could help improve things. The things he's not doing well now are the same as they were 8 years ago. And it's not just who to play where. Or the vanilla play calling either. It's several other things on top of those.

We'll see how season plays out. However, I think next year could be maybe worse since the OL and DL will both be young and we'll have to break in a new center along with it. We're recruiting a bunch of Jucos which would be ok in most instances except, the coaching staff's track record in developing those quickly isn't that stellar to say the least.

I've actually heard different about next season. A guy that actually has some inside connections to the program told me this year was gonna be a struggle. Bc of this I didn't go out predicting 8 wins and such. I trust the one that told me so I was just hoping for a bowl all along, so I haven't melted as hard as others. Anyway the same guy told me the coaches feel next year could be another '14-like season. Now I'm getting info 3rd hand, so who knows, but '16 has been pegged so far.

RocketDawg
09-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Dan's such a big meanie! And he's a Yankee!

Did I mention he's a Yankee?

In case you haven't noticed, so are most of the other successful SEC coaches. I don't think that's an issue at all.

smootness
09-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Wins and losses are part of the big picture? Goodness. That's something you say about a coach who wins a bunch that you just want gone.

And yes, Cohen was absolutely criticized endlessly for thinking he was God's gift to baseball and for refusing to hire a hitting coach while our offense struggled. The criticisms were just about the same across the board. Why did that change? Because we won this year. Period.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Jackie didn't have to coach in the West with West being so strong. The West was weak back in the 90's. The East was strong. Kind of the opposite now. Put any West team in the east the past few seasons and they win the East.

Jackie Wayne = Kang

Period end of discussion.

BB30
09-23-2016, 12:47 PM

And you are comparing football recruiting at Mississippi State to baseball recruiting? That seems logical....We actually have a tradition in baseball. Kids want to come play baseball here it is not nearly as hard of a sell to get a talented baseball player as it is to get a 5* left tackle or a 4* for that matter. Also, one or two kids on a baseball team can drastically change the course of a season especially if you land 2 stud weekend arms the same cannot be said for football.

TimberBeast
09-23-2016, 01:06 PM
I've actually heard different about next season. A guy that actually has some inside connections to the program told me this year was gonna be a struggle. Bc of this I didn't go out predicting 8 wins and such. I trust the one that told me so I was just hoping for a bowl all along, so I haven't melted as hard as others. Anyway the same guy told me the coaches feel next year could be another '14-like season. Now I'm getting info 3rd hand, so who knows, but '16 has been pegged so far.

Did he tell you we were going to do everything we could to lose the first 3 games this year? We should be 3-0 right now, but mullen screwed it up.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 03:29 PM
I think Buckley and Sirmon esp are improvements over what we had and we made other staff changes which may pay off later like Peterson. Mullen also hitting the juco trail this year like Cohen did in '15

The thing is Peterson, Austin, and Gibson are good recruiters but I don't believe they can recruit off campus so we're still limited.

Cohen actually went away from the JUCO's and brought in a ton of high end high school players.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Wins and losses are part of the big picture? Goodness. That's something you say about a coach who wins a bunch that you just want gone.

And yes, Cohen was absolutely criticized endlessly for thinking he was God's gift to baseball and for refusing to hire a hitting coach while our offense struggled. The criticisms were just about the same across the board. Why did that change? Because we won this year. Period.

Absolutely wins and losses are part of the picture and they are the biggest part. But they also aren't the only part. Stansbury was having winning season too before the bottom eventually fell out.

And you are wrong about Cohen- he hired Coggin in the offseason after our losing season. It just wasn't publicly blasted out there. People did complain about the hitting or lack of a hitting coach but no one should have realistically expected a change while the season was going on.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Kind of like Cutcliffe.

We won't replace Dan with an Orgeron. And has Ole Miss not had success with their model of recruiting? And no, it's not the way we should go about recruiting but they have a couple of Cotton Bowls, a Peach Bowl, and a Sugar Bowl out of the deal.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 03:40 PM
The thing is Peterson, Austin, and Gibson are good recruiters but I don't believe they can recruit off campus so we're still limited.

Cohen actually went away from the JUCO's and brought in a ton of high end high school players.

Lowe, rigby, smith, and Kruger

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 03:41 PM
And you are comparing football recruiting at Mississippi State to baseball recruiting? That seems logical....We actually have a tradition in baseball. Kids want to come play baseball here it is not nearly as hard of a sell to get a talented baseball player as it is to get a 5* left tackle or a 4* for that matter. Also, one or two kids on a baseball team can drastically change the course of a season especially if you land 2 stud weekend arms the same cannot be said for football.

I am comparing them relative to their ceiling. Baseball recruiting should be in the top 15 range. Cohen has done that for the most part. Football should be in the top 15-20 range. Dan has not done that consistently enough.

We aren't exactly Kentucky in basketball but Howland has been recruiting well. Vic Shafer has been recruiting well here and our women's basketball history is even worse than our football history.

Why should Dan get a pass?

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Lowe, rigby, smith, and Kruger

Magnum, Marrero, Luke Alexander, Stovall, Pilkington. And Breaux bailed us out on our first big win of the year against USC which most fans have forgotten about. Lowe and Kruger were in D-I programs before JUCO so they weren't the traditional JUCO guys we were mostly getting.

RocketDawg
09-23-2016, 03:46 PM
I am comparing them relative to their ceiling. Baseball recruiting should be in the top 15 range. Cohen has done that for the most part. Football should be in the top 15-20 range. Dan has not done that consistently enough.

We aren't exactly Kentucky in basketball but Howland has been recruiting well. Vic Shafer has been recruiting well here and our women's basketball history is even worse than our football history.

Why should Dan get a pass?

My impression is that football is much more competitive at the top ranks than any other US college sport, especially in the South. So maybe that's the reason.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Oh and Cohen also got us out of the Adidas only bat thing and allowed guys to use their own bats as well.

Todd4State
09-23-2016, 03:57 PM
My impression is that football is much more competitive at the top ranks than any other US college sport, especially in the South. So maybe that's the reason.

That's why my expectation isn't top 15. But I think my expectation of 15-20 is reasonable. Even if you think we should be top 25, we have missed that mark at least twice the past five years per 24/7 sports.

msujan
09-23-2016, 03:58 PM
I don't think their plane is anything *but* economy.

DudyDawg
09-23-2016, 04:21 PM

What about sirmon before or so far here makes you think he's an improvement?

dawg27
09-23-2016, 04:50 PM

So basically u happy with just playing good just show up for big games. I dont want to show up for big games i want to win big game, but hey some are happy with just winning 6.

msstate7
09-23-2016, 05:18 PM
What about sirmon before or so far here makes you think he's an improvement?

Brand new system after losing an NFL corner, lb, dlineman, and practice squad CB... we've still played relatively well on the defensive side of the ball. Our defense has played well enough to win all the games imo. Unless I'm forgetting a 1st half score vs USA, we've held each of our opponents scoreless in 1 half of the game. It certainly hasn't been pretty all the time, but I think sirmon has some serious potential

AROB44
09-23-2016, 05:19 PM
This thread gets more entertaining as it goes.....just down right hilarious.

DancingRabbit
09-23-2016, 09:40 PM
This thread gets more entertaining as it goes.....just down right hilarious.

This thread and recently, the whole board.

http://nihilist.fm/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/maxresdefault-1-512x288.jpg

basedog
09-23-2016, 09:44 PM
This thread and recently, the whole board.

http://nihilist.fm/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/maxresdefault-1-512x288.jpg

+1.

Not sure I would call bitching about the same thing over and over mostly by the same posters entertainment.

smootness
09-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Absolutely wins and losses are part of the picture and they are the biggest part. But they also aren't the only part. Stansbury was having winning season too before the bottom eventually fell out.

And you are wrong about Cohen- he hired Coggin in the offseason after our losing season. It just wasn't publicly blasted out there. People did complain about the hitting or lack of a hitting coach but no one should have realistically expected a change while the season was going on.

People criticized Cohen's offense and approach for several years, I'm not just talking about that season. And Coggin was brought in as a volunteer assistant. No one would be satisfied if Mullen's answer was to hire a GA.

And Stans is gone because he stopped winning. Period. He didn't win a lot in the NCAA Tourney, and once he stopped even making the Tourney regularly, he was gone.

What are the issues beyond wins and losses that people have with Mullen? It certainly isn't anything off the field, which is where Stans' problems started.

TimberBeast
09-24-2016, 01:35 PM
What are the issues beyond wins and losses that people have with Mullen? It certainly isn't anything off the field, which is where Stans' problems started.

Holy crap you have been posting in this thread for a couple days now and you ask that question, have you read any of it? Have you seen us play football?