PDA

View Full Version : Welp, Ethan Small having Tommy John surgery in the coming weeks I'm hearing...

CadaverDawg
09-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Hate he didn't go ahead and do it a while back, but I guess you can't blame someone for trying to avoid surgery at all costs.

Hate it for him, but hope he comes back even stronger.

msstate7
09-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Hate he didn't go ahead and do it a while back, but I guess you can't blame someone for trying to avoid surgery at all costs.

Hate it for him, but hope he comes back even stronger.

So we'll have maybe 1 season of him... lefty that throws as hard as him will be drafted

Taog Redloh
09-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Glad we signed all those JUCO pitchers.

Taog Redloh
09-22-2016, 12:06 PM
So we'll have maybe 1 season of him... lefty that throws as hard as him will be drafted

If that.

Some folks are projecting Parker Ford to contribute by next season, I'm not one of them. Will be surprised if he's pitching for us before 2018, which would mean Small's career would be over for us, following the same timeline.

Tripp McNeely
09-22-2016, 12:13 PM
What's the guess on the weekend rotation? Pilk, Ford, Ashcraft?

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 12:35 PM

My guess would be Pilkington, Keegan James, and Kale Breaux. Ryan Cyr will have a say in it. Ford will be recovering next year. Ashcraft will probably play the same role as Ethan Small last year.

CadaverDawg
09-22-2016, 12:36 PM
If that.

Some folks are projecting Parker Ford to contribute by next season, I'm not one of them. Will be surprised if he's pitching for us before 2018, which would mean Small's career would be over for us, following the same timeline.

Never know, but I'm hearing that Parker is ahead of schedule and is looking like a "go" in the Spring barring any set backs.
Would be big if he's able to go. Big time talent, and a really good kid

Taog Redloh
09-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Pilkington, James and Cyr.

preachermatt83
09-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Padgett gonna have a say in who has the weekend spots too. Smith needs to be the closer.

Homedawg
09-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Padgett gonna have a say in who has the weekend spots too. Smith needs to be the closer.
Um, Padgett had surgery. So prolly not........

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Never know, but I'm hearing that Parker is ahead of schedule and is looking like a "go" in the Spring barring any set backs.
Would be big if he's able to go. Big time talent, and a really good kid

This would be nice for a change. Our bullpen should be strong with Rigby, Blake Smith, Barton, and Billingsley.

Taog Redloh
09-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Padgett gonna have a say in who has the weekend spots too.
lolz

Taog Redloh
09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Season next year gonna depend on how far Rooker and Mangum can take us. I think our offense will be find and we should have a fairly strong bullpen with Smith, Billingsley and Rigby. Plus a couple of those JUCOs are supposed to be lights out.

Zac Houston coming back really could have helped this team.

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Season next year gonna depend on how far Rooker and Mangum can take us. I think our offense will be find and we should have a fairly strong bullpen with Smith, Billingsley and Rigby. Plus a couple of those JUCOs are supposed to be lights out.

Zac Houston coming back really could have helped this team.

Agree for the most part. We need Marrero, LA, Stovall, and Gordon to make some strides this offseason and I think they will for the most part. Cody Brown and Ryan Gridley are experienced players too and they should both be solid for us.

preachermatt83
09-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Um, Padgett had surgery. So prolly not........

I don't know how I missed that. ��

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-22-2016, 03:35 PM
So how many pitchers did we end up losing to surgery next year?

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Off the top of my head- Noah Hughes, Padgett, and Small. We'll redshirt them I'm sure.

Taog Redloh
09-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Lost 3 sophomores, and gained 2 JUCO sophomores. We also signed 4 JUCO juniors. To me, the difference in being average or elite depends entirely on how those guys pan out. Good thing is, at least a few of them are supposed to be elite. Here's to hoping they do a Ryan Rigby rather than a Paul Young.

That MS State Baseball Fan dude does a great job keeping up with signees on his facebook page, if anyone cares.

Taog Redloh
09-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Have any of you ever read up on the specifics of the surgery?

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/surgery-baseball-4.jpg

Drilling holes and figure 8-ing a tendon through it? Looks so unnatural to me. I guess it works though.

CarolinaDawgs
09-22-2016, 04:23 PM
This weighted ball program shit hasn't been too good on arms.