PDA

View Full Version : Georgia/Clemson- Can Clemson hang with a team that took Bama to the wire last year?

RougeDawg
08-30-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't know much about Clemson, but my gut feeling is that UGA should win this game. Yes Clemson went 11-2 and beat LSU in bowl, but they struggled with an Auburn team week one, a team we beat somewhat easily. LSU players looked very indifferent during the bowl game also.

Georgia just has too much talent, size, and speed to lose this one. Or am I missing something?

Political Hack
08-30-2013, 10:19 AM
It's going to be a shoot out but UGA can run the ball and I'm not sure Clemson can. Barring turnovers, the game will be decided by Richt and Bobo's ability to call plays near the end of the 2nd and 4th Qts that give them an offensive advantage as the clock winds down. If UGA gets the ball twice to Clemson getting it once in the last 6 minutes of the 2nd and 4th, UGA wins.

smootness
08-30-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm predicting something like UGA 45 - Clemson 31.

Clemson has a very good offense, obviously, and UGA's defense is a question, but they definitely have talent over there. The primary reason I think UGA is going to be incredibly tough to beat this year is because of Gurley and Marshall. That is a ground attack that will bludgeon people. Throw in Murray on top of that, and suddenly the PA pass that Richt loves so much is that much more dangerous. No one is going to shut Georgia down this year.

War Machine Dawg
08-30-2013, 12:38 PM
To answer the question: Yes, I'd be shocked if Clemson can't hang with Georgia. They're very, very good offensively.

Honestly, I see this being a close, high-scoring shootout. UGA has to replace a lot on D and Clemson isn't great on D. Both teams should put up points pretty easily. Other than our game, this is the one I want to see the most this weekend. And I think it could have potential National Championship implications for both teams. You can almost never say that for any Week 1 matchup.

smootness
08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
To answer the question: Yes, I'd be shocked if Clemson can't hang with Georgia. They're very, very good offensively.

Honestly, I see this being a close, high-scoring shootout. UGA has to replace a lot on D and Clemson isn't great on D. Both teams should put up points pretty easily. Other than our game, this is the one I want to see the most this weekend. And I think it could have potential National Championship implications for both teams. You can almost never say that for any Week 1 matchup.

I think it should be a really good game, but I don't see either team as a true national championship threat. I don't see UGA's defense holding up all year in the SEC enough to only lose 1 game. Clemson/SC/LSU/Florida/SEC Champ is too much to ask of them, I believe, though I do really like their team this year. And Clemson is Clemson. Aside from the fact that they won't win this game, thus won't have a chance, there's no way they're running through the rest of their schedule unscathed. They're the same old Clemson - flashy, may win a big game or two, but won't play defense extremely well and will always slip up somewhere.

ETA: Clemson has Florida St. and obviously South Carolina on the schedule later in the year. Yeah, they're not a real NC threat.