PDA

View Full Version : Would Cohen want our ad job?

confucius say
09-21-2016, 05:30 PM
I know his new contract last year made him an associate ad and made people wonder if he wanted to go that route eventually. Not saying he should be, just curious. Cue the haters.

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 05:36 PM
I think that title was mostly so we could pay Cohen more. But at the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was interested in it. IF he is, I hope we wait until after the baseball season to fully put him in charge as the AD. Coaching baseball at MSU was always his dream so that may be what he is content on doing.

MetEdDawg
09-21-2016, 05:57 PM
This hire has to be a person that believes MSU can be elite. Not saying Stricklin wasn't like that, but the day 1 message has to be that MSU is going to be elite and that we are moving towards that right now. No BS, hardass personality, gets things done type of person.

That is Cohen.

msbulldog
09-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Cohen would do a good job, but I really would rather he be our BB coach.

Liverpooldawg
09-21-2016, 06:03 PM
We won't go down that road again. See Bob Tyler. In fact, I'm not sure we CAN go down that road. Isn't it against the rules now to have a coach as the AD?

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Cohen would do a good job, but I really would rather he be our BB coach.

I agree.

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 06:07 PM
We won't go down that road again. See Bob Tyler. In fact, I'm not sure we CAN go down that road. Isn't it against the rules now to have a coach as the AD?

Not sure that it is against the rules, but it's not a good idea in today's day and age of the SEC. Cohen would have to step down as the baseball coach to be the AD. No way he could do both.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 06:10 PM

Derek Dooley was both at LA Tech

t45fixer
09-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Have heard the big baseball donors want him as AD. Don't know about the rest.

t45fixer
09-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Don't necessarily have to be the skipper of the ball club in title and not still be the skipper of the ball club.

preachermatt83
lol, he would take a big pay cut. Ain't happening.

Todd4State
Have heard the big baseball donors want him as AD. Don't know about the rest.

That might be their way to get Tommy Raffo in as the baseball coach.**

Personally, I think it would be best for all if Cohen remained the baseball coach for us and we went out and got an experienced AD from a mid major if Scott leaves. I would imagine that it's very different coaching baseball and being an AD and I know Bertman and Ray Tanner have become AD's and have done well so there is precedent.

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Don't necessarily have to be the skipper of the ball club in title and not still be the skipper of the ball club.

I would think we would have to hire another coach if we went that route though and we have no coaching vacancies.

MarketingBully
09-21-2016, 06:15 PM
I know you guys would hate this recommendation but I am going to say it anyway. I'd like to see us go after Joe Dean, Jr as our AD. He is an MSU guy and would do a great job here.

t45fixer
09-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Oh he would hire his coach. His coach with his philosophy, with his love for his school, and he could still be proactive in recruiting. Big plus is he wouldn't be scared of Mullen, Strick is.

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Oh he would hire his coach. His coach with his philosophy, with his love for his school, and he could still be proactive in recruiting. Big plus is he wouldn't be scared of Mullen, Strick is.

If it were me, and if it plays out that way- I hope he hires Greg Goff from Alabama.

msujan
09-21-2016, 06:54 PM

Bob Boyd wanted to be AD and MBB coach at the same time but the Tyler debacle was still fresh. It cost us Bob Boyd.

was21
09-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Joe Dean Jr. ship has sailed. Besides, he's old school now...would be another Templeton. He's been kissing that lsu ass for years.

rcsteph1
09-21-2016, 07:32 PM

So i was sitting here thinking could Cohen turn "assistant" in title and to henderson and let him run the day to day stuff?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-21-2016, 07:35 PM
I know you guys would hate this recommendation but I am going to say it anyway. I'd like to see us go after Joe Dean, Jr as our AD. He is an MSU guy and would do a great job here.

I second this motion! JD Jr would be a solid hire.

starkvegasdawg
09-21-2016, 07:36 PM
I would think we would have to hire another coach if we went that route though and we have no coaching vacancies.

Mullen to baseball coach.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-21-2016, 07:37 PM
If it were me, and if it plays out that way- I hope he hires Greg Goff from Alabama.

Got this right....

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-21-2016, 07:41 PM
So i was sitting here thinking could Cohen turn "assistant" in title and to henderson and let him run the day to day stuff?

We don't want Henderson as our next HBBC....assistant, yes. Head No.

lamont
09-21-2016, 07:56 PM
In this day and age-Cohen couldnt do both. AD is a full-time job. He would have to stepdown as beisball coach

t45fixer
09-21-2016, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't want him to do both, and I don't think he wants to. However he can have that big voice in baseball we haven't had. He also can tell Mullen to STFU and do your job.

ScottH
09-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Have heard the big baseball donors want him as AD.

What qualifies for that category?

At my dinner table was someone giving a half million to stadium. He had no opinion and had not been in any discussions.

I was told a month or so ago they were the largest committed donor to date or tied for that spot.Looking at the available naming opportunities that looks correct.

EngDawg
09-23-2016, 12:13 AM
Is it just me, or isn't Cohen supposed to be the kinda guy who would piss way to many people off if he was AD

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-23-2016, 05:42 AM
If named AD, I would be afraid he'd go down to the dugout in the middle of the second and fire the coach for not bunting or something to that effect.

BB30
09-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Funny how a lot of people on here wanted Cohen gone not long ago and now want him to be our AD. For the record, I think he would do a decent job as AD if he made the correct marketing hires around him. Coaching baseball and being an AD are two different worlds, I think he could make the transition but would need a good marketing staff surrounding him.

shannondawg
09-23-2016, 11:19 AM
I actually had a pretty knowledgable guy make a case for him. I want to keep him as coach, we can find a capable ad, but I dunno if we could find a coach better than him, one that especially bleeds maroon.

If nothing has changed since yesterday afternoon, its not decided that he's leaving.

Johnson85
09-23-2016, 12:20 PM
I actually had a pretty knowledgable guy make a case for him. I want to keep him as coach, we can find a capable ad, but I dunno if we could find a coach better than him, one that especially bleeds maroon.

If nothing has changed since yesterday afternoon, its not decided that he's leaving.

I agree. I don't know why you would want to take a good coach and use him as an AD. The skill sets don't seem to overlap that much to me. Obviously need smart people at both, but I could see somebody who is an excellent coach not being that excellent at marketing, soliciting donations from bid donors, dealing with (kissing ass of? schmoozing with) big donors on an ongoing basis, long term facilities planning, public speaking, budgeting, etc. Even if Cohen were good at all those things, I'd still feel better about rolling the dice on our next AD than trying to hire a new baseball coach. Cohen can always become AD if he gets tired of the grind of coaching in another 5-10 years.