PDA

View Full Version : Scott a done deal?

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Anyone hearing that. $1.5 MIL per year guaranteed maybe??

Political Hack
09-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Heard 1.4, which isn't much difference.

If he has any gonads at all, he's moving to Gainsville.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Heard 1.4, which isn't much difference.

If he has any gonads at all, he's moving to Gainsville.

I know it was reported originally as $1 MIL with $400K bonus, to go ahead and make that or the $1.5 MIL guaranteed for 5 years will be hard to turn down and they are really really wanting Scott. Very badly. For all the ones who don't think highly of him I believe that may make him the second highest paid AD in the nation.

ETA. The $1.5 MIL would put him as the second highest paid AD in the country.

MetEdDawg
09-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I know it was reported originally as $1 MIL with $400K bonus, to go ahead and make that or the $1.5 MIL guaranteed for 5 years will be hard to turn down and they are really really wanting Scott. Very badly. For all the ones who don't think highly of him I believe that may make him the second highest paid AD in the nation.

I still don't understand why so many don't like him. His only poor hire was Ray, which he rectified with Howland. He's overseen multiple stadium renovations and constructions, our brand has grown exponentially during his tenure, and he has overseen Massine growth in the Bulldog Club and yearly donations. This guy has done exactly what we needed him to do. I would say at worst he's a Top 3 AD in the SEC and the actions of Florida make it seem like he might the best in the conference.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Because he won't stand up to Mullen

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 05:05 PM
I still don't understand why so many don't like him. His only poor hire was Ray, which he rectified with Howland. He's overseen multiple stadium renovations and constructions, our brand has grown exponentially during his tenure, and he has overseen Massine growth in the Bulldog Club and yearly donations. This guy has done exactly what we needed him to do. I would say at worst he's a Top 3 AD in the SEC and the actions of Florida make it seem like he might the best in the conference.

They think that the ONLY criteria in which the President grades AD's on is coaching hires that translate to wins on the field. Not that it's not a part of it but only a percentage. Making money so you are not dipping much into the schools general fund, which around 85%??? Of athletic departments are having to do, including a lot of big elite programs. Increasing the sports profile, marketing, infrastructure, long term planning for the continue success of the school all play a big role as well.

Turfdawg67
09-21-2016, 05:09 PM

Nevermind... I've seen your pointless rants.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Nevermind... I've seen your pointless rants.

Kinda though my post was actually straight to the point and pretty succinct...

Bothrops
09-21-2016, 05:22 PM
This will hurt MSU athletics. I don't think Stricklin is infallible, but he understands the place. MSU isn't like anywhere else, it's on the biggest stage, yet has some of the biggest challenges out of just about anywhere. A replacement will have unlearn, then relearn everything, costing us time. Time not a friend of MSU. I wish we at least had someone lined up.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Sometimes it's just what a place needs....someone that doesn't know the place

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 05:25 PM

In case you haven't noticed, it takes our fans a LOOOOONNNNGG time to forget and forgive in some cases. Yes, he has done a few things that I don't care for- but nothing where I thought he should be fired. He has done a LOT more things that I liked.

msbulldog
09-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Your right Carl Maddox, out of LSU did a hell of a job.

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 05:29 PM

If Dan has a bad year, I think he will. In the meantime since he is the face of our athletic dept. he should support Dan no matter what. If he didn't support Dan I think it would potentially affect the hiring of Dan's replacement. I don't care for Dan either and think he should have left on his own last year but at the same time I understand why we didn't and shouldn't have fired him.

And I understand that you are talking about other things such as assistant coaches as well- but we don't know what the conversations in the off season were between the two. Scott could have brought that up to Dan and told Dan "If not replacing Hevesy and Sallach doesn't work, YOU could be gone." Or that might be a reason why Dan's contract wasn't extended as well as losing the Egg Bowl and shopping himself around.

smootness
09-21-2016, 05:29 PM

It basically comes down to his demeanor and accent. Seriously. People see/hear him and just assume he's an 'aw shucks' guy who gets steamrolled in 'big boy' business dealings. It's stupid. Stricklin is fantastic.

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 05:32 PM

If Scott leaves, I think we should hire Tulane's AD. He made a GREAT baseball hire by landing David Pierce who turned their program around in a year and got hired by Texas and I think he made a good football hire for Tulane in Willie Fritz who runs a spread option attack that I think fits what Tulane recruits pretty well and will pay dividends over time.

was21
09-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Generally speaking the overall primary job of an AD is to raise funds. He's done that. Coach selection is also important but few hires are made by AD's without a lot of input from other interested parties. He's certainly not irreplacable but if the wrong one gets the job it could potentially be a major hurdle down the road.

Tripp McNeely
09-21-2016, 05:38 PM
If Scott leaves, I think we should hire Tulane's AD. He made a GREAT baseball hire by landing David Pierce who turned their program around in a year and got hired by Texas and I think he made a good football hire for Tulane in Willie Fritz who runs a spread option attack that I think fits what Tulane recruits pretty well and will pay dividends over time.

I'd give Memphis' AD a call

Bothrops
09-21-2016, 05:46 PM

MSU ain't LSU though.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 05:47 PM

As late as last spring there were many Tulane people wanting him fired with Cowen. Now because Tulane is private they don't disclose his salary but I think I read it rumored to be around $600,000. I could be wrong on that though. I do believe his recent hires have helped calm the natives but his big big knock was he didn't really know sports.

HSVDawg
09-21-2016, 05:50 PM
If Dan has a bad year, I think he will.

How's he going to stand up to Dan? Call him from Gainesville and shake his fist through the phone? If he takes the UF job, he's gonna be gone in like 2 weeks. Foley steps down next week. And that's exactly what seems to be happening according to multiple sources.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 05:51 PM
I'd give Memphis' AD a call

With bonus money he makes $600,000 per year. With them losing out on the Big 12 it would be interesting to see if he wants into a Power 5 conference. He has done a good job though as AD.

msbulldog
09-21-2016, 05:54 PM
MSU ain't LSU though.

I guess your to young to remember, Carl Maddox came to MSU after retiring as LSU's AD. He raised a lot of money and did tremendous work in improving our facilities.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 06:01 PM
I guess your to young to remember, Carl Maddox came to MSU after retiring as LSU's AD. He raised a lot of money and did tremendous work in improving our facilities.

Yeah he did. Track field named after him

shannondawg
09-21-2016, 06:07 PM

Some would say he is not micro managing. You think highly enough of someone to pay him 1.4 million a year plus other perks, you let him do the job and stay out of his way. If he doesn't perform up to expectations then you either step in and ask why he doesn't do whatever displeases you, and you don't like his answer, then you can either make a demand, and if he refuses, fire him.

MarketingBully
09-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Too bad Stricklin doesn't understand he is their 4th or 5th choice. If Florida was so bad ass, why didn't Byrne take it? He turned it down to stay in Arizona. Foley built Florida but it isn't as great a place as people might think. Shit, even the Arkansas AD was warning Stricklin to stay where he is.

DownwardDawg
09-21-2016, 06:24 PM

Kinda like a Greg Byrne.

Bothrops
09-21-2016, 06:35 PM
I hope Stricklin understands that Flarda is nothing, in any shape of form, like MSU.

MarketingBully
09-21-2016, 06:38 PM
I hope Stricklin understands that Flarda is nothing, in any shape of form, like MSU.

Yep and other then O'Sullivan, they don't have elite coaches in their top 3 sports.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-21-2016, 07:09 PM
This will hurt MSU athletics. I don't think Stricklin is infallible, but he understands the place. MSU isn't like anywhere else, it's on the biggest stage, yet has some of the biggest challenges out of just about anywhere. A replacement will have unlearn, then relearn everything, costing us time. Time not a friend of MSU. I wish we at least had someone lined up.

How do you know we don't. I doubt because of Stricklins love of MSU that he would leave without giving a a recommendation for someone.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Steve Robertson for AD!!

somebodyshotmypaw
09-21-2016, 08:23 PM
I would grant John David Wicker an interview. Not saying he would be the right hire, but I would certainly talk to him.

Dawgface
09-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Too bad Stricklin doesn't understand he is their 4th or 5th choice. If Florida was so bad ass, why didn't Byrne take it? He turned it down to stay in Arizona. Foley built Florida but it isn't as great a place as people might think. Shit, even the Arkansas AD was warning Stricklin to stay where he is.

$1.4 Mil. That's all I would need to know.

DancingRabbit
09-21-2016, 09:55 PM

Looks like he was 1st or 2nd and then 4th or 5th.

Pat Dooley
‏@pat_dooley

For what it's worth, I know for a fact that Scott Stricklin was one of the first ADs contacted by UF.

https://twitter.com/pat_dooley/status/778285163033849856

DancingRabbit
09-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Rumors say $1.5 per, over 5 years guaranteed. Don't see how he could turn that down. Would make him top 2 or 3 in the country.

Best of luck to him.

SDDawg
09-21-2016, 11:30 PM
Stricklin ain't leaving. Save your keystrokes... #Maryland

NCDawg
09-22-2016, 01:02 AM

He did, but I wish he had hired Bobby Collins instead of Bellard, although I liked Bellard. I didn't realize Bellard wouldn't recruit after his first year.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-22-2016, 02:58 AM
I don't know what he's going to do, but I guarantee one thing he's thinking about is if he does go, he's not going to be able to cut the ribbon on the new Dude. I'm sure overseeing projects like this become part of you and are hard to let go of.

I, for one, will hate to see him go. People point out some of his mistakes, but which one of us hasn't made mistakes in our work? He, just like us, grow and get better the more experienced we become.

Dawgfan77
09-22-2016, 06:03 AM
I don't want us to hire from within. Need new blood

shannondawg
09-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Does anybody know how many years Scott has in the Mississippi pension system? I saw on a post somewhere that he was paid up, but I don't think thats the case, but if he is close, and ups his pay to a mil, it might be safer in the long run for him to stay here.

Re: Greg Byrne had a really easy act to follow, not that LT didn't do a lot for us, he eventually was just past his time and needed to go. Because of Greg and then Scott, whoever we hire will have a tough row to plow.

I guess if Kennum was to look to hire within it would be Bo Hemphill, He is in the same position as Scott when Gregg left. That turned out pretty good.

basedog
09-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Florida has no state income tax.

Florida's budget being so high will always have new projects, the rich get richer.

Florida's overall athletic programs are on the of the best with so many National Championships.

Florida school systems are light years ahead of Mississippi.

But, SS is and has been very loyal to Msu, it's home, safer environment, less pressure plus he knows what it's like to work for someone.

louisvilledawg
09-22-2016, 08:14 AM
My coworker that graduated from UF told me that gator insiders are saying it's a done deal and that they're going to wait until Monday to officially announce. take that for what it's worth