PDA

View Full Version : Will we hire from within?

drunkernhelldawg
09-21-2016, 04:11 PM
if we do, who is likely considered to be next in line and why. Or will we bring in somebody from outside? That's more likely and probably makes more sense.

With the money reportedly being offered, I don't like our chances of keeping exactly what we have. But maybe the trade in will be even better. Who knows.

Taog Redloh
09-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Normally I would say yes. Always promote from within when things are going well (within reason, of course). But if 3rd generation promotions are anything like 3rd generation kids......eh......

starkvegasdawg
09-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Bracky***

Political Hack
09-21-2016, 04:26 PM
It's thin, but there's at least one legit option.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Scott Wetherbee is only one in Bryan building that should get promoted if we do promote from inside.

preachermatt83
09-21-2016, 04:29 PM
It's thin, but there's at least one legit option.

Who?

DownwardDawg
09-21-2016, 04:31 PM
I doubt he leaves.

It_Could_Happen
09-21-2016, 04:32 PM
I think Wetherbee would be good. Also think Bill Martin would be good.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Scott Wetherbee is only one in Bryan building that should get promoted if we do promote from inside.

He has done a good job since he has been here.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Also hearing $1.5 MIL per year guaranteed from Florida for Scott. May be done deal

Political Hack
09-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Who?

Weatherbee. I don't know how personable he is but our marketing has improved a million fold since he arrived.

AlmostPositive
09-21-2016, 04:50 PM
If someone/anyone takes a $1.5 million to leave, I hope none of us will begrudge it. I'd even consider moving to Oxford for that much green.

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Weatherbee. I don't know how personable he is but our marketing has improved a million fold since he arrived.

He also served us well as the point of contact for the SEC Network

drunkernhelldawg
09-21-2016, 04:55 PM
If someone/anyone takes a $1.5 million to leave, I hope none of us will begrudge it. I'd even consider moving to Oxford for that much green.

For once, I'm with you.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Also hearing $1.5 MIL per year guaranteed from Florida for Scott. May be done deal

He's a moron if he doesn't take that. And even worse a huge ***** for being scared to leave the nest.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-21-2016, 06:17 PM
I can understand him leaving for that cash, but if he leaves us with a two week notice, then **** him. If he leaves in October, wtf are we going to do for an AD until a replacement has been found...a freaking interim?

If Stricklin does leave, I wonder how that will effect Mullen's situation?

MarketingBully
09-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Let's get Joe Dean, Jr! :)

GreenheadDawg
09-21-2016, 06:25 PM

That's too much money to turn down. He would be a fool to not be on the first thing smoking

Really Clark?
09-21-2016, 06:31 PM
That's too much money to turn down. He would be a fool to not be on the first thing smoking

If rumor is true it's for 5 years guaranteed. $7.5 MIL with no state income tax. Invested wisely and that changes things for not just you and your kids but probably a couple of generations. Not to mention he is still young and even if it's just for those 5 years he will still have good opportunities afterwards. If he is a good success there, he could stay 15-20 years and really set up a couple generations of his family.

GTHOM
09-21-2016, 06:45 PM
John Cohen***

GreenheadDawg
09-21-2016, 07:31 PM
If rumor is true it's for 5 years guaranteed. $7.5 MIL with no state income tax. Invested wisely and that changes things for not just you and your kids but probably a couple of generations. Not to mention he is still young and even if it's just for those 5 years he will still have good opportunities afterwards. If he is a good success there, he could stay 15-20 years and really set up a couple generations of his family.

Great point. Good for him if true

Dawgowar
09-21-2016, 07:42 PM
if we do, who is likely considered to be next in line and why. Or will we bring in somebody from outside? That's more likely and probably makes more sense.

With the money reportedly being offered, I don't like our chances of keeping exactly what we have. But maybe the trade in will be even better. Who knows.

Larry Templeton's grandson has been groomed and is ready to go. Be afraid, be very afraid.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-21-2016, 07:46 PM

For 1.5 I think you'd have to say Hell Yeah, All Right!

J Paul Ronvonski III
09-21-2016, 09:42 PM

We don't need to hire from within, but that's probably what will happen. We need someone who is on fire and wants to have a championship football team along with our baseball and basketball programs. I just think it would be easier to hold someone accountable hired from the outside.

msbulldog
09-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Larry Templeton's grandson has been groomed and is ready to go. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Please no!

32 Dive
09-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Here's my guy.

Jason Cook

Connections, Experience, and Alumnus...

http://www.12thman.com/staff.aspx?staff=3

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Pat Hayden!!!!

ScottH
09-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Didn't we lose a Assistant AD to Pitt earlier this summer?

What is Wetherbee's background?

Certainly a SEC school with a 75mm budget can hire a sitting AD.

BSME04
09-21-2016, 11:24 PM
I was told once by a KSU fan that John Currie has some type of MSU ties. I'm not sure if he would be a good fit or not though.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-22-2016, 07:22 AM
He's a moron if he doesn't take that. And even worse a huge ***** for being scared to leave the nest.

I've read some dumb stuff here before, but I do believe this wins the prize for the dumbest ever. If Strick decides to stay because he loves the university he graduated from, loves his state, enjoys being 2 hours from his family, wife enjoys being close to her aging parents, loves the challenges and accomplishments faced, etc. then why does that make him a "moron" or a "huge *****"? He is still making great money if he stays. Decisions are often made with other things in mind than just money or status. This is absolutely the dumbest, most absurd post I've ever read.

RiverCityDawg
09-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Here's my guy.

Jason Cook

Very nice bio. Being a State guy is a bonus. I can't see how he wouldn't at least be in contention.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2016, 09:18 AM
I've read some dumb stuff here before, but I do believe this wins the prize for the dumbest ever. If Strick decides to stay because he loves the university he graduated from, loves his state, enjoys being 2 hours from his family, wife enjoys being close to her aging parents, loves the challenges and accomplishments faced, etc. then why does that make him a "moron" or a "huge *****"? He is still making great money if he stays. Decisions are often made with other things in mind than just money or status. This is absolutely the dumbest, most absurd post I've ever read.

Ok Scotty

Tbonewannabe
09-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Here's my guy.

Jason Cook

He definitely seems like he has the resume' and he is a bulldog also as a bonus.

BHildreth3
09-22-2016, 09:53 AM
I think John David Wicker would be an excellent hire. He's a State grad and he's got some experience. While he hasn't been the lead dog AD in a program, I think he's ready...

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/admin/mtt/john_david_wicker_970196.html

Bully75
09-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Lil Joe would be a good hire!

Political Hack
09-22-2016, 10:12 AM
We don't need to hire from within, but that's probably what will happen. We need someone who is on fire and wants to have a championship football team along with our baseball and basketball programs. I just think it would be easier to hold someone accountable hired from the outside.

I'm torn, but Keenam has made good decisions 99% of the time. I've been told twice today that the hire will likely come from outside should Scott move forward and leave. As of last night, it sounded like he had one foot out the door but a nights rest can do a lot to someone.

Political Hack
09-22-2016, 10:14 AM
I think John David Wicker would be an excellent hire. He's a State grad and he's got some experience. While he hasn't been the lead dog AD in a program, I think he's ready...

I like the pedigree but GaTech has a joke of an Ath Dept. That won't help him, but he's got great experience elsewhere. SDSU, UGA, Washington, Olympics, USM, etc...

Bully75
09-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Here's my guy.

Jason Cook

Outstanding!

MSUDawg99
09-22-2016, 10:27 AM

I agree too, tbh. Not everything is about money. But he should be given a substantial raise if he stays & I'm sure that will probably be the case if he does stay.

maroonmania
09-22-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm torn, but Keenam has made good decisions 99% of the time. I've been told twice today that the hire will likely come from outside should Scott move forward and leave. As of last night, it sounded like he had one foot out the door but a nights rest can do a lot to someone.

I'm surprised that Scott has not made any public statement on what his decision is by now. Usually when this stuff gets out in the public its pretty much a done deal one way or the other. I'm almost wondering if we aren't still seeing what we could potentially raise him to and see if that's enough to warrant keeping him. Given Scott is an MSU guy I don't think we would by any means have to match 1.5mil for him to stay but we've got to do a LOT better than 500K.

BHildreth3
09-22-2016, 11:00 AM
I like the pedigree but GaTech has a joke of an Ath Dept. That won't help him, but he's got great experience elsewhere. SDSU, UGA, Washington, Olympics, USM, etc...

He hasn't been at GT long, and the reason he took the job was to get back down South. He'd do well in an interview. Very smart and there are a lot of people at State that have been following his career. They'd be crazy not to at least interview him.

Madisonmd
09-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Anyone heard rumblings of Cohen being considered? Just a little chatter to that effect recently. Not sure of validity

Tbonewannabe
09-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Anyone heard rumblings of Cohen being considered? Just a little chatter to that effect recently. Not sure of validity

That job is too big to have a part time AD. Cohen has enough on his plate running a SEC Championship baseball program.

Political Hack
09-22-2016, 12:33 PM

Yes. Someone is pushing it. Not sure where it's coming from but it's getting around quickly.

RiverCityDawg
09-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Yes. Someone is pushing it. Not sure where it's coming from but it's getting around quickly.

I'm sure it's in part at least because he was recently given an Assistant AD title and said it was something he was interested in at some point.

Madisonmd
09-22-2016, 02:01 PM
Heard he would give up baseball HC if it goes this way. Not sure I believe there is validity to this, but interesting topic none the less

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 02:14 PM

I think we should outside the family as well unless there is an absolute home run candidate. I think Cohen is in his prime as a baseball coach and it would be best for us if he stayed there in that position.

Really Clark?
09-22-2016, 02:20 PM

I don't think this is a good idea but the entertainment on this board from Rouge if this was to happen would almost make it worth it.

Jarius
09-22-2016, 03:05 PM
We hired Scott based on the thought that he would be a good AD and stay because he was a "state guy". He's done a decent job and is still possibly going to leave for more money. The next hire needs to be based on merit and nothing else.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-22-2016, 07:06 PM

I mentioned him last night in another thread on here. He would be worth an interview.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Ok Scotty

You can "okay Scotty" me all you want, but my point still stands. You are an idiot if you think a guy is a moron and a huge ***** just because he didn't take the money and leave the nest. What about happiness, family life, etc? Does that stuff not have a value?