PDA

View Full Version : If we get a new AD

Todd4State
09-21-2016, 04:03 PM
I hope he buys back the interlocking MSU from Nike.

If Scott stays and buys it back- that would be awesome too.

Quaoarsking
09-21-2016, 04:57 PM
If we get a new one, I hope he or she gets our wins from the mid-70s restored. If they gave them back to Paterno, they can give them back to us.

If Stricklin stays, I hope he does that.

mparkerfd20
09-21-2016, 04:57 PM
If we get a new one, I hope he or she gets our wins from the mid-70s restored. If they gave them back to Paterno, they can give them back to us.

If Stricklin stays, I hope he does that.

It ain't happening. Might as well give up on that pipe dream. Although I'd love for us to buy back the rights too.

MarketingBully
09-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Let's get Joe Dean, Jr!

djaymsu5
09-21-2016, 11:01 PM

I hope we sign with Nike again after this contract in 2020 is up. It's time

DancingRabbit
09-21-2016, 11:30 PM

Chances are slim to none that we would go backwards, even if it were free. We're M-State. Nationally, MSU is Michigan State.

Dawg61
09-22-2016, 12:30 AM
It ain't happening. Might as well give up on that pipe dream. Although I'd love for us to buy back the rights too.

You have to actively use the logo to retain the rights and Nike isn't doing that. We can use the logo anytime we want.

BorneDawg
09-22-2016, 08:05 AM
not a fan of the MSJ logo because it looks like MSJ instead of MSU. Guess maybe cause i'm younger but I like our New designs. I really like the Umass uniforms!

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Chances are slim to none that we would go backwards, even if it were free. We're M-State. Nationally, MSU is Michigan State.

They don't have MSU anywhere on their football uniforms that I am aware of. I think it's very possible to incorporate M-State and MSU on the football uniform much the way we have M-State and the Mississippi State banner logo on our current uniform. And yes, MSU should be on the helmet of course.

Tbonewannabe
09-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Well now you get into what is the most nationally known for your brand. We now have Dak in the NFL and everything they show will be in the M State helmet. You lose all association if you switch to MSJ. I personally like the new M State. The first version had a weird thing with the banner but since they cleaned it up I like it.

We also have had as much success or more with the new logo as the old. When you play highlights of the 1st team to ever be ranked #1 in the Playoff polls you will see the M State helmets and Dak running wild on LSU at night. I wouldn't mind a throw back uniform for 2018 against Arkansas to mark the 20th anniversary of winning the West but we need to keep the M State logo.

Statecoachingblows**
09-22-2016, 08:55 AM
http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/04/24/mississippi-state-doesnt-own-the-rights-to-its-own-logo/

Leaving aside the specifics of this one game, I hadn’t realized Nike had proprietary rights to some team logos. Usually when a designer creates a logo or identity system for a client, the client owns everything. Case in point: Nike created the Broncos’ uniforms in 1997 (at the time it was the first instance of a major-level team uni being designed by a uniform outfitter, instead of just manufactured by the outfitter from someone else’s design). But when Reebok took over the NFL’s uniform contract in 2001, the Broncos didn’t have to come up with a new uni or logo — Reebok just started manufacturing the Nike design.

But that’s apparently not the case at Mississippi State. Obviously, if that’s what was spelled out in the school’s contract with Nike, then that’s that, but I’m surprised the school would have agreed to such terms. Are there other examples of this?

I don't know the back story on it but this old article makes it sound like them owning the logo is not a common thing. How did they wind up owning it, did we screw ourselves or what? I like both logos in some ways, mainly just curious how it came about.

Dawgface
09-22-2016, 09:04 AM
not a fan of the MSJ logo because it looks like MSJ instead of MSU. Guess maybe cause i'm younger but I like our New designs. I really like the Umass uniforms!

I'm with you and I'm old!

Tbonewannabe
09-22-2016, 09:25 AM
http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/04/24/mississippi-state-doesnt-own-the-rights-to-its-own-logo/

Leaving aside the specifics of this one game, I hadn’t realized Nike had proprietary rights to some team logos. Usually when a designer creates a logo or identity system for a client, the client owns everything. Case in point: Nike created the Broncos’ uniforms in 1997 (at the time it was the first instance of a major-level team uni being designed by a uniform outfitter, instead of just manufactured by the outfitter from someone else’s design). But when Reebok took over the NFL’s uniform contract in 2001, the Broncos didn’t have to come up with a new uni or logo — Reebok just started manufacturing the Nike design.

But that’s apparently not the case at Mississippi State. Obviously, if that’s what was spelled out in the school’s contract with Nike, then that’s that, but I’m surprised the school would have agreed to such terms. Are there other examples of this?

I don't know the back story on it but this old article makes it sound like them owning the logo is not a common thing. How did they wind up owning it, did we screw ourselves or what? I like both logos in some ways, mainly just curious how it came about.

Probably gave LT a 1% discount if he signed over the logo.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-22-2016, 09:36 AM

Coming from a designers perspective, I hate that logo. It doesn't read well from a distance and it looks old and outdated. It was cool in it's day and served its purpose but it would be taking a step backwards to bring it back IMO

Dawg61
09-22-2016, 09:47 AM
I'm no copyright lawyer but I am telling y'all we can use the logo anytime we want because Nike hasn't been using it at all and when you don't actively use your copyright you lose it. Nike isn't going to fight us over this logo. We wear it and they will do nothing.

DancingRabbit
09-22-2016, 09:51 AM

The "MSJ" logo is this one, used from '86 to '95. Not affiliated with Nike.
https://d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Mississippi_State_University_Logo.gif

The Nike logo is this one, used from '96 to 2003.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZmExNHoEsJQksN4L8ovHVC7m73q9gT dvB0jewn5xtpbRGvbIQ

Statecoachingblows**
09-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Coming from a designers perspective, I hate that logo. It doesn't read well from a distance and it looks old and outdated. It was cool in it's day and served its purpose but it would be taking a step backwards to bring it back IMO

I do think we should be able to use it when/if we wanted to. But they have yet to ask my opinion so...

BorneDawg
09-22-2016, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=DancingRabbit;616933]The "MSJ" logo is this one, used from '86 to '95. Not affiliated with Nike.
https://d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Mississippi_State_University_Logo.gif

The Nike logo is this one, used from '96 to 2003.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZmExNHoEsJQksN4L8ovHVC7m73q9gT dvB0jewn5xtpbRGvbIQ[/QUOT

OK it is a little better but still like the newer stuff

SheltonChoked
09-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Nah it was free RC Cola anytime he visited Nike headquarters. That's why we scheduled the Oregon home and home... He was supper pissed when the said they were out of RC when he went to cash in. ***

djaymsu5
09-22-2016, 10:03 PM
I'll always like the unis we wore in Jackies day the best. Those just looked badass and we had swagger back then. Used to love yelling Smoooooot when he would make a big tackle. Nike just looks better and adidas is shit. We should use the money we get from them the next 4 years and build up all of our facilities and in 2020 cut ties. Nike is and will always be the best and look the cleanest. Not all adidas stuff but most of it looks cheap and poorly designed. I would rather us go to Under Armour than sign another contract with adidas.

Avelso
09-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Adidas sucks. Shirts. Designs. Everything. But right now they are our best friend in basketball.

Todd4State
09-22-2016, 10:57 PM
I'll always like the unis we wore in Jackies day the best. Those just looked badass and we had swagger back then. Used to love yelling Smoooooot when he would make a big tackle. Nike just looks better and adidas is shit. We should use the money we get from them the next 4 years and build up all of our facilities and in 2020 cut ties. Nike is and will always be the best and look the cleanest. Not all adidas stuff but most of it looks cheap and poorly designed. I would rather us go to Under Armour than sign another contract with adidas.

I agree with you about the 1990's Nike uniforms but I'll also say that I don't mind if our uniforms aren't exact copies. They should be the template though. I think our primary uniforms are a good take on the Nike ones and of course if I had to change something it would be to put the interlocking MSU on the helmet. And like I said, we could still put the M-State logo on the chest where the banner Mississippi State is, or we certainly can leave the M-State logo on the pants or put it on the shoulder sleeves. There are certainly ways for the interlocking MSU and the M-State logo to co-exist on the same uniform.

My conspiracy theory about the M-State logo is that is what LT always wanted us to be because that was his personal favorite and I think AD's that followed him- both Byrne and Stricklin- do look up to LT in some regard despite how the fanbase feels towards him because I'm sure LT was a mentor to them. I think part of it is a homage to LT.

Bothrops
09-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Adidas sucks. Shirts. Designs. Everything. But right now they are our best friend in basketball.

I don't think they'd be around if they sucked.

GTHOM
09-23-2016, 01:06 AM
Please bring back the interlocking MSU. There has never been a better looking uniform in the history of football than our all white Nike unis