PDA

View Full Version : Stricklin to Florida?

DawgPoundLazer
09-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Hope this isn't true

FootballScoop Staff
‏@FootballScoop
Sources in the profession tell FootballScoop that Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin is lead candidate at Florida http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop

civildawg
09-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Let's consider the source of the info first

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Footballscoop reporting that? No way.

EngDawg
09-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Mullen to Toledo. Strick to Florida. Howland to UConn. Cohen to Miami.

DawgNamedScuba
09-20-2016, 10:27 AM
They reported Hev to USC. We see what happened there......Nothing

DownwardDawg
09-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Byrne back to Starkvegas!!!!!! Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starkvegasdawg
09-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Football Scoop? Might as well have used glory hole Yancy as the source.

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Please baby Jesus let this happen

SDDawg
09-20-2016, 10:33 AM
This routine has become predictable. Eventually it will be right on a bigger one though, not sure this one is it (also not sure it matters much).

It_Could_Happen
09-20-2016, 10:34 AM
I would be absolutely shocked if he left.

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2016, 10:36 AM
But I thought Bjork had the UF job locked down?**

Seriously though, I'll believe it when I see it. FootballScoop has proven itself time and again to be less than trustworthy when I comes to "(insert MSU employee here) to take job elsewhere." That's another one of those "unbiased news sources" that clearly is UM friendly media.

DawgGlass
09-20-2016, 10:36 AM
I imagine Strick is here as long as his wife's parents are living.

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Please baby Jesus let this happen

+1 My thoughts exactly!

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Yeah our Athletic Programs as a whole are in the best shape they have ever been in. Please get out of here Stricklin.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Yeah our Athletic Programs as a whole are in the best shape it has ever been in. Please get out of here Stricklin.

He didn't fire Mullen after the USA loss. The only thing holding us back from sec titles, top 10 recruiting classes, and a natty is Dan Mullen... SS is too weak to make the move that puts us on bama's level**

shrimp
09-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Lateral move just to be reunited with Collins.

Hope this isn't true

FootballScoop Staff
‏@FootballScoop
Sources in the profession tell FootballScoop that Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin is lead candidate at Florida http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop

It_Could_Happen
09-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Yeah our Athletic Programs as a whole are in the best shape they have ever been in. Please get out of here Stricklin.

That's been my thoughts the whole time. I think he does some goofy stuff but we are winning in pretty much all the big 3 sports (counting men's BB because of Howland) and throw in Girls hoops and we've been as good as anyone. I still would be shocked if he left.

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2016, 10:44 AM
+1 My thoughts exactly!

17ing crazy.

Of course if we had your way, Cohen would have been fired the year before winning the SEC and Mullen would have been fired the year before he took us to #1 for five weeks.

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2016, 10:46 AM

Some people have absolutely zero perspective.

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2016, 10:47 AM
The only big 3 hire he made was Rick Ray. Let that sink in.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Great...another opportunity to hire/promote from within.****

Pipedream
09-20-2016, 10:49 AM
If you think this is a good thing you're an effing moron and should go root for another team.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 10:52 AM

He gets credit for the Howland hire on paper whether people want to admit it or not. He had to swallow his pride and shitcan Ray when he could have just as easily told the boosters to go F themselves. And if one bad hire makes a bad AD then guess what, there are no good AD's out there.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Literally no chance of this happening.

RougeDawg
09-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Strick knows he's going to be closely tied to Mullen, because he refused to be Dan's boss. He's allowed Dan to do the things he's done in the offseason, his coaches, and his refusal to adjust his style. Keenum finally stepped in this offseason and stopped the shenanigans. If Strick wants any positive outcome from his tenure at State he better get out before he and Dan are on the same train leaving Starkville.

TrapGame
09-20-2016, 10:54 AM
So, Dan could be head coach and athletic director!***

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2016, 10:57 AM
He gets credit for the Howland hire on paper whether people want to admit it or not. He had to swallow his pride and shitcan Ray when he could have just as easily told the boosters to go F themselves. And if one bad hire makes a bad AD then guess what, there are no good AD's out there.

Bs he said no at first and Mark told him it was either him or ray.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 10:57 AM
So, Dan could be head coach and athletic director!***

This would create the greatest entertainment this board has ever seen. This place would M-E-L-T!!!!

TheRef
09-20-2016, 11:02 AM

Do you have some magical source that you're getting all of this from, or are you just refusing to admit that you were wrong in this instance. Howland was hired under Stricklin's watch. So were a couple of others that y'all are leaving out, but I guess that's because you believe the process began before Stricklin got there. FFS, people.

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2016, 11:02 AM
17ing crazy.

Of course if we had your way, Cohen would have been fired the year before winning the SEC and Mullen would have been fired the year before he took us to #1 for five weeks.

Uhhhhh, NO. I was a VERY vocal supporter of Mullen during that lunacy. I dare you to go back through the old threads and try to prove otherwise. I've only been critical of his overall performance since last year. And I still believe we'd be suicidal to fire him this season barring some sort of 2-10, 3-9 disaster. If we win 4 or more, he absolutely has to be given another year. He's earned that much job security.

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Do you have some magical source that you're getting all of this from, or are you just refusing to admit that you were wrong in this instance. Howland was hired under Stricklin's watch. So were a couple of others that y'all are leaving out, but I guess that's because you believe the process began before Stricklin got there. FFS, people.

I do have sources very close sources. And yes he made a good hire with women's basketball but that is it.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 11:08 AM

I call BS on that entire statement. If Keenum fired Strick at that time in early 2015 (no matter the reason) our replacement hire would have been embarrassing. We were coming off a stretch of unheard of prosperity in the athletic department in football and baseball, and any potential replacement hire would tell Keenum to F himself immediately upon picking up the phone. If that did play out that way and Strick said alright fire me, there is no way Keenum would have gone through with it.

Either way, only 2 people would know the truth in that scenario and neither Keenum nor Strick would disclose that type of info publicly anyways. The bottom line is that the AD is pretty much just a fundraising figurehead position now at pretty much every school. The Ray hire was made by Stricklin, but that was going to be a bad hire no matter who he picked. Nobody wanted the job. And the boosters were not all behind any one candidate so Stricklin made the call in the end.

mic
09-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Maybe UF is trying to kick start or upgrade its women's athletic programs...

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 11:20 AM

He did say no at first but Mark absolutely did NOT threaten his job with either fire him or you are fired. There was intense discussions and he eventually came around. Especially once it was evident that Howland was more than just interested. Strick also didn't want to make the move until it was finalized with Howland. Boosters got involved as well. But Keenum did not make that ultimatum. He did insinuate that if he out right rejected the idea of firing Ray and kept him, then Strick was very possibly tying Ray's tenure to his own.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 11:21 AM
DS on SPS saying Dan wolken has heard same rumor, so there may be something to this

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Hope this isn't true

FootballScoop Staff
‏@FootballScoop

Look what the Confederates dragged in. They have to stir the pot somehow on us. They have YET to be right about anything on us.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 11:28 AM
I do have sources very close sources. And yes he made a good hire with women's basketball but that is it.

I think volleyball is going to be a good hire. But it's still all minor sports that he has had greatest hiring impacts. But the fact is he has also overseen incredible growth in fundraising, facilities all around and the overall program is stronger now than it's ever been under his watch and one of the few schools who actually operate in the black. Many larger schools are losing a lot of money with triple or more budgets. That weighs a lot more than many give credit for.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2016, 11:28 AM
+1 My thoughts exactly!

That's just plain insane. Good lord our athletic department is in the best shape it has ever been in and it ain't even CLOSE.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 11:32 AM
He did say no at first but Mark absolutely did NOT threaten his job with either fire him or you are fired. There was intense discussions and he eventually came around. Especially once it was evident that Howland was more than just interested. Strick also didn't want to make the move until it was finalized with Howland. Boosters got involved as well. But Keenum did not make that ultimatum. He did insinuate that if he out right rejected the idea of firing Ray and kept him, then Strick was very possibly tying Ray's tenure to his own.

Thanks for that insight. That makes way more sense and at least shows some open mindedness from Stricklin. Also a good move on his part to finalize things with Howland before making the move.

Political Hack
09-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Lol. Trolling Mullen has gotten old so now they're trolling Strick?

If somehow possibly true, Go Gatas!!!

DownwardDawg
09-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Look what the Confederates dragged in. They have to stir the pot somehow on us. They have YET to be right about anything on us.

I don't think the confederates would start this rumor. This would upset us about as much as our gold coach leaving. Won't matter.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2016, 11:42 AM
I don't think the confederates would start this rumor. This would upset us about as much as our gold coach leaving. Won't matter.

Yes they would. The source there virtually says they did. Y'all ought to know that by now.

Gomez09
09-20-2016, 11:53 AM
IF Strick does leave we should go all in on BJORK........ He will be available soon*******

I seen it dawg
09-20-2016, 11:56 AM
He wouldn't take it if offered. He has no backbone and it would take balls to make the move. Which I highly question if he has any. We wouldn't be so lucky.

RC3
09-20-2016, 12:00 PM
he gone

Jarius
09-20-2016, 12:12 PM
There are a lot of athletic directors in our conference that look better now that we all have 100 million dollar or more athletic budgets. He can be replaced very easily.

Gomez09
09-20-2016, 12:14 PM
I seen it. Do you want him to take it?

Bubb Rubb
09-20-2016, 12:15 PM

That would be an interesting story if it were true. But it's not.

BrunswickDawg
09-20-2016, 12:16 PM
CL reports he was offered. Grab the popcorn

TheRef
09-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Stricklin is reportedly at an Athletic Director's conference in Dallas, TX. Interesting to say the least.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Stricklin is reportedly at an Athletic Director's conference in Dallas, TX. Interesting to say the least.

And he was just named Athletic Director of the year this year. Many on here have very distorted view of his job performance and how it's seen nationally

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 12:23 PM
So if he's considering this you have to wonder why? Does he see the writing on the wall?

Is that why Dan doesn't really seem to be into this HC of an SEC W team now?

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 12:26 PM
He didn't fire Mullen after the USA loss. The only thing holding us back from sec titles, top 10 recruiting classes, and a natty is Dan Mullen... SS is too weak to make the move that puts us on bama's level**

Sad...you used to be a pretty damn good poster.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 12:28 PM
And he was just named Athletic Director of the year this year. Many on here have very distorted view of his job performance and how it's seen nationally

Yep. Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars he's raised for a school in the poorest state in the U.S.A.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Sad...you used to be a pretty damn good poster.

Must not understand what these **** imply

Statecoachingblows**
09-20-2016, 12:36 PM
http://www.onlygators.com/09/20/2016/report-kansas-state-ad-john-currie-on-campus-at-florida/

The Florida Gators‘ extended search for an athletic director to replace Jeremy Foley may be reaching its conclusion.

Mississippi State’s Scott Stricklin, one of a few athletic directors targeted after Florida’s initial round of conversations came up empty, has reportedly been offered the job, according to the Clarion-Ledger.

Sources said Stricklin turned down the offer earlier this month but Florida returned with a better offer within the last couple of days. The deal, a source said, was for at least $1 million but could be upwards of $1.4 million. Stricklin made about $500,000 at Missisisppi State.
Less than an hour earlier, FootballScoop.com reported that Stricklin is Florida’s top candidate and could be “closing in on the job very soon.”

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 12:38 PM
So if he's considering this you have to wonder why? Does he see the writing on the wall?

???? This makes no sense. He sees the writing on the wall so he is wanting to get out before it gets bad.....to Florida. One of the Top 10 jobs in the country. Elite. That's worse than the Mullen running off DC who fall upward in program profiles. That's some incredible luck to be the AD that was in charge when things take a nose dive to end up at Florida. Use some common sense

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Mike Bonner reporting it also...though what's really being reported is that UF is upping their offer from one Strick turned down a month ago.

Keep in mind, current Jeremy Foley hates Dan Mullen, and would love to stick it to us as much as possible. Remember, he came hard after DC Geoff Collins prior to our Orange Bowl game, and got him.

Also consider that Foley intends to stay "involved", with an office down the hall so he can still have authority over whoever they get. It's being reported that's why other candidates have said, "Thanks..but no thanks".

Maroons
09-20-2016, 12:40 PM

You are so uninformed I don't know where to begin. Incredibly ignorant and naive.

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Must not understand what these **** imply

Oh, I get it. But his sarcasm is in ridicule of a position hardly anyone in the, "pissed at Dan" crowd takes. He has consistently been taking these straw-man arguments to the extreme..mostly w/o sarcasm.

Joe Schmedlap
09-20-2016, 12:42 PM
What's the going rate for a good athletic director? I thought Byrne had balls of steel. We were paying him less than half of what loafers is making. If UF is offering 1.4 million, maybe Strick should take it. I have a hard time justifying anything near that.

Beaver
09-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Scott is a great guy and has a great family. His roots are in Starkville. That being said, I would definitely take the UF job. He'd have huge shoes to fill, but his salary and his athletics budget would double. He's done a lot of good for the university, but many folks are unsatisfied with the growth he's helped to initiate over the last several years. He's probably hearing from people that want him to start going towards the OM route in order to recruit better players, which is something he'd be very uncomfortable with. I hope he stays, but would totally understand if he goes.

Maroons
09-20-2016, 12:43 PM

Nope.

dawgday166
???? This makes no sense. He sees the writing on the wall so he is wanting to get out before it gets bad.....to Florida. One of the Top 10 jobs in the country. Elite. That's worse than the Mullen running off DC who fall upward in program profiles. That's some incredible luck to be the AD that was in charge when things take a nose dive to end up at Florida. Use some common sense

Ok ... I really don't know. Just wondering since he went to MSU and expectations here are much lower across the board than they will be at FL. Of course if they get basketball going again they be real good shape.

DancingRabbit

$1 million dollar raise written on that wall

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 12:47 PM

That certainly some incentive.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Mike Bonner reporting it also...though what's really being reported is that UF is upping their offer from one Strick turned down a month ago.

Keep in mind, current Jeremy Foley hates Dan Mullen, and would love to stick it to us as much as possible. Remember, he came hard after DC Geoff Collins prior to our Orange Bowl game, and got him.

Also consider that Foley intends to stay "involved", with an office down the hall so he can still have authority over whoever they get. It's being reported that's why other candidates have said, "Thanks..but no thanks".

Foley and more importantly the boosters and president give zero sh%# about Mullen being our coach and sticking it to us. That's out there. I like a lot of your points usually especially at UNM but that's off the reservation.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-20-2016, 12:48 PM

I guess Scott's agent learned a few things from Mullen's about leverage....

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Foley and more importantly the boosters and president give zero sh%# about Mullen being our coach and sticking it to us. That's out there. I like a lot of your points usually especially at UNM but that's off the reservation.

You remember when there was all that talk about Dan going to UF? Florida fans on other boards were telling everyone there was no way in hell that would happen as long as Foley was AD because Foley despises Mullen.

Do I think Foley would hire someone unqualified from MSU to make life hard on Dan? No. Do I think he'd consider it extra motivation to take something from Dan if that something was also qualified as a candidate? You bet. If he could improve his position and also stick it to a rival, he would absolutely consider it and factor it into his thinking, IMO.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 12:55 PM
That certainly some incentive.

Yep. He can make up to $1.4 MIL with this counter offer. Tough choice with his and his wife's roots so tied to us

TopDog58
09-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Bye Loafers! Can't wait for Mullen to follow..

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 01:02 PM
You remember when there was all that talk about Dan going to UF? Florida fans on other boards were telling everyone there was no way in hell that would happen as long as Foley was AD because Foley despises Mullen.

Do I think Foley would hire someone unqualified from MSU to make life hard on Dan? No. Do I think he'd consider it extra motivation to take something from Dan if that something was also qualified as a candidate? You bet. If he could improve his position and also stick it to a rival, he would absolutely consider it and factor it into his thinking, IMO.

Bulk of that in real life had to do with them wanting to seperate from Urban Myer connections because of how it ended down their. They have not considered a single coach from the Myer tree since. Is there an issue between Foley and Mullen, probably, but not nearly to the extent that they consider us a rival to stick it to.

DancingRabbit
09-20-2016, 01:05 PM
"So Greg, how's life outside S'Vegas?"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs0MFHmUMAA_ZIC.jpg

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Bulk of that in real life had to do with them wanting to seperate from Urban Myer connections because of how it ended down their. They have not considered a single coach from the Myer tree since. Is there an issue between Foley and Mullen, probably, but not nearly to the extent that they consider us a rival to stick it to.

Its not that they consider MSU a rival...it's that Foley does not like Dan. I also suspect an added incentive for Foley is he gets to send a message to other SEC programs considering raiding his staff.

We took from UF when we hired Dan. Now Foley has taken Collins (and notably did not wait until after the Orange Bowl), and is apparently trying to take Strick.

Stirck is a qualified candidate, otherwise Foley would not do it...but I think it entirely plausible part of Foley's motivation is to punish Dan by taking apart his team, and again, showing other SEC programs he has a long memory for any who screws with his staff.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Its not that they consider MSU a rival...it's that Foley does not like Dan. I also suspect an added incentive for Foley is he gets to send a message to other SEC programs considering raiding his staff.

We took from UF when we hired Dan. Now Foley has taken Collins (and notably did not wait until after the Orange Bowl), and is apparently trying to take Strick.

Stirck is a qualified candidate, otherwise Foley would not do it...but I think it entirely plausible part of Foley's motivation is to punish Dan by taking apart his team, and again, showing other SEC programs he has a long memory for any who screws with his staff.

Dan didn't take a part his team. The issue is with Urban anyone connected to him. Just using the message board rumors like you did previously points to a lot of issues and Foley having cover up a lot of mess to try and keep it together. Dan taking a HC and doing it the right way, waiting until after the title game to fully take the reigns here, there is nothing about that that crippled Florida.

mparkerfd20
09-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Just heard about this. I hope to God he takes it. Please, please, please!

DownwardDawg
09-20-2016, 01:28 PM

Dude, please stop. Professional men do not think this way. Women maybe, but not grown men. They are not giving Dan Mullen one second of thought.

basedog
09-20-2016, 01:32 PM
If our AD is so bad then why is Florida after him for $1.4 million?

I don't know if SS is good or bad but I do know we are in much better shape in all programs in my lifetime.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-20-2016, 01:38 PM

It's called Athletic Director not Football Director.

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Dude, please stop. Professional men do not think this way. Women maybe, but not grown men. They are not giving Dan Mullen one second of thought.

I can tell you from personal experience you are wrong. Professional men don't hurt their own company by making decisions just to harm a rival, but they absolutely do sometimes make a move that helps their company while also sticking it to a rival.

In a lot of business decisions there are multiple moves a company can make. There are multiple factors that are considered in most of those cases. If you don't think a business decision can be at least a little influenced by how a decision-maker feels about a competitor, rival or someone they dislike, then you are naive.

smootness
09-20-2016, 01:43 PM

So Keenum told Stricklin that if he didn't fire Ray, it would be Stricklin, NOT Ray, that would be gone?

So if Keenum fired Stricklin, he would have kept Ray? All because Stricklin wouldn't fire Ray?

You need a new source.

starkvegasdawg
09-20-2016, 01:46 PM
So far I've seen this reported on football scoop, SDS, and the CL. Have any non-TSUN sites reported this?

DownwardDawg
09-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I can tell you from personal experience you are wrong. Professional men don't hurt their own company by making decisions just to harm a rival, but they absolutely do sometimes make a move that helps their company while also sticking it to a rival.

In a lot of business decisions there are multiple moves a company can make. There are multiple factors that are considered in most of those cases. If you don't think a business decision can be at least a little influenced by how a decision-maker feels about a competitor, rival or someone they dislike, then you are naive.

Well, I shouldn't have sounded so short with my response. I apologize. I am a professional in a leadership position. I would never let anything like this factor into a decision I am making. I might smile about it and have a good laugh, but then I would question my own motive before making the decision. I just don't think it's happening.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 01:48 PM
So far I've seen this reported on football scoop, SDS, and the CL. Have any non-TSUN sites reported this?

Pat Forde, Brent McMurphy

RocketDawg
09-20-2016, 01:53 PM
Haven't read any of the responses except what's on the 5th page ... but BR reported that Florida has offered him $1M, maybe as high as $1.4M. He's currently making in the neighborhood of $500K.

I couldn't blame him for taking an offer like that. But we should be able to counter pretty well since Dan won't be getting a raise this year. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

basedog
09-20-2016, 01:54 PM

I don't know if SS is good or bad but I do know we are in much better shape in all programs in my lifetime.

Bump

Cowboydawg
09-20-2016, 01:58 PM

I'm with you basedog. Why should we be excited about SS possibly leaving? Florida is willing to offer him nearly 3x what he is making now because they obviously believe he can take them to the next level.

But he is holding us down. If only there was some good things going on in our baseball program...oh wait I mean our basketball...wait wait...we are having a rebuilding year in football and he won't fire Dan immediately like some of our fans want.

We should definitely send him to Florida for $1.4 M so we can find someone better and pay them $500k******************************

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Well, I shouldn't have sounded so short with my response. I apologize. I am a professional in a leadership position. I would never let anything like this factor into a decision I am making. I might smile about it and have a good laugh, but then I would question my own motive before making the decision. I just don't think it's happening.

I am also a professional, and have created 2 companies from the ground-up. Please keep in mind I never suggested Foley came after Collins or Strick simply or even primarily because he dislikes Mullen, rather I have suggested it could have been a factor or an added bonus in favor of choosing one qualified candidate over another.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Foley created a short list of qualified candidates, and all-things-being-equal, leaned toward Collins and/or Strick because, in addition to being qualified, they also brought the opportunity to stick-it to a man he personally dislikes (if reports are to be believed).

ETA - in my experience, often men who succeed in business have character flaws that may well contribute to their success. Sometimes a desire to crush a competitor or rival is useful, and can sometimes stem from a predisposition to, "take no prisoners", which can extend into personal life. Not all executives take the, "high road" and completely disregard their personal feelings. And sometimes that leads to poor decisions.

preachermatt83
09-20-2016, 02:00 PM
He gone

Ifyouonlyknew
09-20-2016, 02:10 PM
He gone

Glad to see you decided to stick around Scott

preachermatt83
09-20-2016, 02:19 PM
Glad to see you decided to stick around Scott

Hahaha!!!

Bothrops
09-20-2016, 02:20 PM

^^This

basedog
09-20-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm with you basedog. Why should we be excited about SS possibly leaving? Florida is willing to offer him nearly 3x what he is making now because they obviously believe he can take them to the next level.

But he is holding us down. If only there was some good things going on in our baseball program...oh wait I mean our basketball...wait wait...we are having a rebuilding year in football and he won't fire Dan immediately like some of our fans want.

We should definitely send him to Florida for $1.4 M so we can find someone better and pay them $500k******************************

What about girls basketball? And this bullcrap about "well SS didn't hire so and so", so what, the AD isn't the final decision maker, he must be approved by his boss. And if SS is ok with "his boss" saying no to him, then he must be a good listener!

Damn, bring back the damn agenda, it makes for good laughter, but firing them all or clean house and wanting to get rid of Mullen after 6 straight bowls is just retarded.

Florida must be stupid, after all they have the highest athletic budget in the Sec and wanting a nobody like SS, and give him a huge raise.******

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 02:24 PM
nm

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Toledo wouldn't hire Mullen. The rest are possibles ***

LC Dawg
09-20-2016, 02:30 PM

This is what I was thinking also. Florida is not a bunch of idiots. Their athletic teams win national championships. I don't think they are looking to hire an athletic director without doing their homework.
I'm not qualified, just like most of this board, to determine Stricklin's worth as an athletic director but I know he has done a lot of good things for Mississippi State. Everyone in every job makes mistakes. Take the Rick Ray hire out and look at what he's done. One thing ignored about the Ray hire is he also got rid of Stansbury which was not 100% popular and wasn't easy to do considering how long Stansbury had been at State. It's almost like people want to punish him because he hasn't hired a great football coach. He hasn't needed to. Stricklin is a great promoter of Mississippi State. He has marketed our brand in ways that athletic directors of other schools have not done. He has been out in front with ideas. I know it seems like a small thing but the hashtag in the end zone was ahead of its time. No one had thought of that and it caught NCAA people so off guard that they just banned it because they have never considered it being done. I don't know if Florida hiring Stricklin will be good or bad for us in the long run but I do know that he has been good for our school.

RougeDawg
09-20-2016, 02:33 PM
What about girls basketball? And this bullcrap about "well SS didn't hire so and so", so what, the AD isn't the final decision maker, he must be approved by his boss. And if SS is ok with "his boss" saying no to him, then he must be a good listener!

Damn, bring back the damn agenda, it makes for good laughter, but firing them all or clean house and wanting to get rid of Mullen after 6 straight bowls is just retarded.

Florida must be stupid, after all they have the highest athletic budget in the Sec and wanting a nobody like SS, and give him a huge raise.******

You are obviously missing the point so o will summarize. Under Byrne Dan was told what to do and was held accountable. Bring in Strick and Dan starts dictating Strick, ultimately leading to Dan being allowed to whore himself out over multiple seasons, neglect recruiting, keep his Yankee dick demeanor and not make the proper coaching staff changes. Fast forward to 2015/16 off season and Keenum had seen enough. Enough of Dan's shit and enough of Stricks lack of backbone. Keenum puts his foot down on Dan, and Strick to some extent. Dan is given NO extension and an ultimatum to meet or he will not get any extensions. Strick is also put on alert to force some changes. Then we have our first 3 games, coach in shorts and same coach only showing fire for 2 out of 12 quarters thus far. Based on 3 games, Mullen is far from reaching Keenum's ultimatum, andScott is getting out while he still has a little stock value. It's rather simple really, for those of you paying attention at home.

sleepy dawg
09-20-2016, 02:34 PM
We should fire him if he doesn't want to be here.****

Gutter Cobreh
09-20-2016, 02:36 PM
If he leaves, I'm blaming it on the way he handled the Simmons situation****

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 02:38 PM
You are obviously missing the point so o will summarize. Under Byrne Dan was told what to do and was held accountable. Bring in Strick and Dan starts dictating Strick, ultimately leading to Dan being allowed to whore himself out over multiple seasons, neglect recruiting, keep his Yankee dick demeanor and not make the proper coaching staff changes. Fast forward to 2015/16 off season and Keenum had seen enough. Enough of Dan's shit and enough of Stricks lack of backbone. Keenum puts his foot down on Dan, and Strick to some extent. Dan is given NO extension and an ultimatum to meet or he will not get any extensions. Strick is also put on alert to force some changes. Then we have our first 3 games, coach in shorts and same coach only showing fire for 2 out of 12 quarters thus far. Based on 3 games, Mullen is far from reaching Keenum's ultimatum, andScott is getting out while he still has a little stock value. It's rather simple really, for those of you paying attention at home.

Not sure if you really have good intel but ... this would explain quite a lot I've been scratching my head about.

TrapGame
09-20-2016, 02:49 PM

I've heard that Dan has been told that if he wins less than 5 games he will be fired. This is more about his low energy, complacency and his eagerness to job hunt at the absolute worst time (recruiting). I heard this from a long time booster yesterday but didn't want to post it until someone else kinda got close to it. It could be a scare tactic or incentive for Dan to show some fire and desire. Then again it could be complete bullshit. We'll see.

gtowndawg
09-20-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm not a big Scott fan, I admit it. So if he's gone, who is an up and comer we can go after?

Cowboydawg
09-20-2016, 02:53 PM

If you are going to fault SS for being run over by Mullen then you also need to fault Byrne for hiring Mullen in the first place. SS inherited Mullen while Byrne hired, built him into what he is and bailed.

Make no mistake. Dan Mullen holds the power in this situation. He makes nearly 10x what his boss makes and has an outrageous buyout. How much power does SS truly have? Do you think he can go in and fire Mullen and just tell the University to pony up?

He can threaten to fire him...yes. But Mullen is going to laugh in his face and say go for it. This is the monster that Byrne built, not SS. What SS can do is refuse to extend his contract...that is pretty much all. And guess what? Mullen doesn't care. He will take the remaining money due on his contract and then go elsewhere.

louisvilledawg
09-20-2016, 02:54 PM
I'm not a big Scott fan, I admit it. So if he's gone, who is an up and comer we can go after?

Rhett Hobart lolz jkjkjk

msstate7
09-20-2016, 02:55 PM

Go the South Carolina path and hire polk**

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 03:00 PM

No. You have some info from the negative booster side but a lot of that is false with how a lot of that has happened since 2013. Mark has had to cut the legs out of both sides because of negative impact some boosters were having and still trying. And he did it to the boosters as well. There is not anywhere near the contention between him and Strick you are alluding to.

Your last sentence that Scott is getting out while he had little stock value to market himself is as absurd and shows what little information you really have. It's freaking Florida coming at his twice with nearly triple salary. That's not little stock value and luckily landing up in job. Asinine thought process.

Dawgface
09-20-2016, 03:09 PM
If he can make triple he would crazy not to take it. Hell....I would go to OM if I could make triple. Well.....maybe not.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 03:11 PM
What's the going rate for a good athletic director? I thought Byrne had balls of steel. We were paying him less than half of what loafers is making. If UF is offering 1.4 million, maybe Strick should take it. I have a hard time justifying anything near that.

Well maybe that's one reason we had one AD poached by another Power 5 school and his replacement is currently being aggresively courted by another Power 5 school within the conference (in spite of his current school being his alma mater). Stricklin is a huge bargain compared to what they would have to pay the current AD at Texas, USC, or Ohio State to come to UF. We have got to pony up here. No way can we afford to start shuffling through athletic directors at the same frequency as we currently do with defensive coordinators.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Go the South Carolina path and hire polk**

I know you were joking, but wasn't part of Cohen's new deal an assistant AD title?

basedog
09-20-2016, 03:19 PM

Couple of things, Mullen has taken Msu to 6 straight bowl games, no way in hell did someone say if you don't win 5 games we will fire you. Now may be he was told he needs to show more passion for the job he has and if he wants out of his contract so be it. Mullen has earned to hire or fire who he wants up until now, when you start losing you evaluate the situation after the season, not during the season!

I'm not disagreeing in all what you say, Mullen has faults, some or the negative haters want ever be happen with him, so be it, but as for as winning he has done pretty well.

Any business man or head of a company knows it's better to try and work out things than to say let's get rid of them w/o seeing if one can change for the better. It's costly firing coaches and starting over, yes sometimes it's best but not for Msu and Mullen today.

I just hope we "slobber knock snot balls" out of UMass and others.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Well maybe that's one reason we had one AD poached by another Power 5 school and his replacement is currently being aggresively courted by another Power 5 school within the conference (in spite of his current school being his alma mater). Stricklin is a huge bargain compared to what they would have to pay the current AD at Texas, USC, or Ohio State to come to UF. We have got to pony up here. No way can we afford to start shuffling through athletic directors at the same frequency as we currently do with defensive coordinators.

Hmmm. AD salaries are not like football. The elite AD's are around $1 MIL (the guy at Vandy doesn't count, his deal is very unique). But then you have like Bama and Auburn around $600,000. I think Moore has extra like $250,000 possible bonus though. Foley and Williams are the only ones over a $1 MIL in the SEC. So we are talking Scott being one of the top 5 AD's in the country in salary possibly with $1.4 MIL possible

It_Could_Happen
09-20-2016, 03:31 PM
IMO- Jay Jacobs is the best AD in the country, just thought I would throw that out there. I know many will disagree, just my opinion. Curious how much he makes.

Anyway, if any of you follow the Arky AD Jeff Long ( grew up in Arkansas, still follow him) he had a pretty interesting tweet about this. Didn't directly reference it, but everyone knew what it was about. Go check it out.

" A new opportunity is not always a better opportunity. Choose wisely grasshopper." That's what it said

civildawg
09-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Rhett Hobart lolz jkjkjk

I will never forgive him for tents for tickets.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 03:44 PM
IMO- Jay Jacobs is the best AD in the country, just thought I would throw that out there. I know many will disagree, just my opinion. Curious how much he makes.

Anyway, if any of you follow the Arky AD Jeff Long ( grew up in Arkansas, still follow him) he had a pretty interesting tweet about this. Didn't directly reference it, but everyone knew what it was about. Go check it out.

" A new opportunity is not always a better opportunity. Choose wisely grasshopper." That's what it said

I think Jacobs makes $615,000. Long is a good AD, I'm not near as a big fan of Jacobs.

TheRef
09-20-2016, 03:47 PM

Idea was great. Execution, not so much.

It_Could_Happen
09-20-2016, 03:50 PM
I think Jacobs makes $615,000. Long is a good AD, I'm not near as a big fan of Jacobs.

I like long as well. He has completely rejuvenated their brand.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Hmmm. AD salaries are not like football. The elite AD's are around $1 MIL (the guy at Vandy doesn't count, his deal is very unique). But then you have like Bama and Auburn around $600,000. I think Moore has extra like $250,000 possible bonus though. Foley and Williams are the only ones over a $1 MIL in the SEC. So we are talking Scott being one of the top 5 AD's in the country in salary possibly with $1.4 MIL possible

I'm not saying we pay him $1.4 million, but we can't just pay bottom dollar because we're his alma mater and he shouldn't ever want to leave, either. I'd be willing to bet Strick's current salary is probably bottom 3 or 4 in the SEC. Considering the current state of the the department and that he was voted AD of the year, I'd say that is way too low.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 03:54 PM
I like long as well. He has completely rejuvenated their brand.

Yep. Very smart guy and well respected.

DownwardDawg
09-20-2016, 03:57 PM

I don't know this story. What was it?

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm not saying we pay him $1.4 million, but we can't just pay bottom dollar because we're his alma mater and he shouldn't ever want to leave, either. I'd be willing to bet Strick's current salary is probably bottom 3 or 4 in the SEC. Considering the current state of the the department and that he was voted AD of the year, I'd say that is way too low.

Yep. Him and Bjork are dead last in the league, I believe. Just giving everyone the idea that it's not huge salary differences accross the landscape but that offer is almost Saban like in comparison. Byrne makes $600,000 for reference at Arizona.

preachermatt83
09-20-2016, 04:18 PM
I am interested in the opinion that Political Hack has regarding this situation.

blacklistedbully
09-20-2016, 04:22 PM
I think I'd bump him up in salary, but not anywhere near $1 mill. Then I'd push hard that this is home...we are family, and he'd have to 17 up pretty bad to not get a helluva lot more rope here than he'd get at UF. Though we are restricted by state law on length of contract, we could and should sell defacto job security as an element for him to consider.

And a no-brainer would be to stress to him what kind of hell it might be to have Foley lording over his every move. He'd be AD in title, but Ass't AD in practice, and with no intrinsic loyalty to lean on at UF.

If he busted out there, he'd no longer have MSU to fall back on for an AD spot. I can't imagine we'd take him back if he left us for UF.

BB30
09-20-2016, 04:26 PM
A lot of old timers won't agree, but Strick has also killed it in promoting the university through traditional and tech marketing which has benefited our University tremendously. We aren't or wouldn't be just losing a guy that makes hiring and firing decisions but somewhat of a trailblazer in the College Athletic Marketing world which for a school like MSU is huge(not so important at an Alabama or UF). Either way we are in a decent position to hire another good AD and have done a good job on the last two.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 04:37 PM
I think I'd bump him up in salary, but not anywhere near $1 mill. Then I'd push hard that this is home...we are family, and he'd have to 17 up pretty bad to not get a helluva lot more rope here than he'd get at UF. Though we are restricted by state law on length of contract, we could and should sell defacto job security as an element for him to consider.

And a no-brainer would be to stress to him what kind of hell it might be to have Foley lording over his every move. He'd be AD in title, but Ass't AD in practice, and with no intrinsic loyalty to lean on at UF.

If he busted out there, he'd no longer have MSU to fall back on for an AD spot. I can't imagine we'd take him back if he left us for UF.

I think I agree on salary but probably throw a difficult but reachable bonus structure on top. Go to $700,000 plus possible $3-400,000 extra.

starkvegasdawg
09-20-2016, 04:43 PM
If he goes he goes if he stays he stays. Just go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time because frankly I don't give a shit.

http://i.imgur.com/fxWXIRv.jpg

MarketingBully
09-20-2016, 04:49 PM
If he goes he goes if he stays he stays. Just go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time because frankly I don't give a shit.

http://i.imgur.com/fxWXIRv.jpg

Lol, this! :)

RocketDawg
09-20-2016, 04:50 PM
When Byrne left for Arizona, the first I heard of it was when he emailed Bulldog Club members and said he was leaving. There has been no such email from Stricklin ... yet. The rumored offer from Florida certainly seems inflated though.

Joe Schmedlap
09-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Yep. Him and Bjork are dead last in the league, I believe. Just giving everyone the idea that it's not huge salary differences accross the landscape but that offer is almost Saban like in comparison. Byrne makes $600,000 for reference at Arizona.

If Byrne is making 600 grand at Arizona, I have a difficult time contemplating paying Stricklin much more than that. No way in hell would I attempt to match a 1+ million dollar offer from UF. Not saying Scott doesn't deserve a raise, but nothing like that rich skank UF can throw at him.

I wouldn't blame SS for leaving at all if the reported salary offer of 1+ million is true. I just think he isn't worth that to MSU. Stricklin's real worth would be determined by how he handles our football program at the end of the 2017 season. Looks as if we will never know the answer to that Kwerstion.

BayouDawg
09-20-2016, 06:36 PM
I don't know this story. What was it?

If I'm thinking of the same as them it was 2011. They had this idea that students should camp out in the junction the night before student tickets went on sale. Seemed like a good idea. Horribly executed. That was my sophomore year. I got drunk and had a good time but it turned into a clusterfuk.

TheRef
09-20-2016, 07:03 PM
If I'm thinking of the same as them it was 2011. They had this idea that students should camp out in the junction the night before student tickets went on sale. Seemed like a good idea. Horribly executed. That was my sophomore year. I got drunk and had a good time but it turned into a clusterfuk.

Mainly because the SA didn't communicate with EOG nor MSUPD about security oversight on it, so there was little to no security for most of the duration. Also, there were going to be "check-ins" throughout the night to make sure you actually were camped out and on site. Also, they didn't think that many students would show up for it, but when so many did they had no contingency plan for it. At around 11 PM or so, they called it off and just told people to show up in the morning for it.

RougeDawg
09-20-2016, 07:55 PM
No. You have some info from the negative booster side but a lot of that is false with how a lot of that has happened since 2013. Mark has had to cut the legs out of both sides because of negative impact some boosters were having and still trying. And he did it to the boosters as well. There is not anywhere near the contention between him and Strick you are alluding to.

Your last sentence that Scott is getting out while he had little stock value to market himself is as absurd and shows what little information you really have. It's freaking Florida coming at his twice with nearly triple salary. That's not littlle stock value and luckily landing up in job. Asinine thought process.

If negative booster side you mean straight from the horses mouth (MK) the yes you are correct.think what you want, but know there is a reason no extension or demand granted this off season to any of the Country Club members..

DawgPoundLazer
09-26-2016, 05:09 PM

DawgPoundLazer
09-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Football Scoop? Might as well have used glory hole Yancy as the source.

Yeah....about that.......

EliteDawgEnforcer
09-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Yeah....about that.......

Yeah about that... I find it so funny a Bear Fan would be so obsessed with their rivals to come on this board and then post nothing but about their own school and not think it would get noticed.

Bye Bye Bye