PDA

View Full Version : Buy / Sell: With a loss to UGA this weekend, OM self imposes a bowl ban.

HSVDawg
09-19-2016, 03:41 PM
Soft sell here.

thf24
09-19-2016, 03:46 PM
I was all ready to call you a homer for even posing this, but after looking at their schedule it's not out of the realm of possibilities. They only have five games remaining in which they're the clear favorite, and if they lose to UGA and quit then you'd have to think they slip up and lose at least one of those.

edit: unless you're saying they actually self impose a bowl ban to lessen the coming blow since their season is shot anyway, in which case, nah. They'd never turn down free publicity of any kind.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 03:47 PM
If what I think is about to happen to them is possible, there's no way I'd impose a ban... might be awhile

BulldogBear
09-19-2016, 03:57 PM
If what I think is about to happen to them is possible, there's no way I'd impose a ban... might be awhile

You're probably right. I think the real powers that be up there know what's coming. Why give up your last bowl for several years when you're probably not going to be eligible for a few years even after the ban is lifted? They'll still want one last hurrah, even it's in Memphis.

Soft Sell.

Thick
09-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Sell

msstatelp1
09-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Sell.

Mistakes were made but nothing was intentional so why impose a bowl ban***

JDog13
09-19-2016, 04:15 PM
They're not losing to Georgia

Homedawg
09-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Sell. Hard sell

It_Could_Happen
09-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Sell.

1. They ain't losing to Jawga.
2. Still don't think they would do it mid season.

Drugdog
09-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Really dumb question.

Bothrops
09-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Sell.

This is the year to have Georgia in the schedule. Next year we will face an improved Georgia in Athens, yuck.

TrapGame
09-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Sell. They'll beat UGA and Freeze saves a thousand more souls.

TrapGame
09-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Sell.

This is the year to have Georgia in the schedule. Next year we will face an improved Georgia in Athens, yuck.

Man, we couldn't handle a down UGA this year but that's for another thread.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 05:11 PM
I think om will win, but I'm not ready to just say it's hopeless for Georgia. Can om match their emotion this week again after a goal smashing defeat at 11am? I think om wins, but Georgia isn't wofford... om better be ready to play. Eason, McKenzie, and Chubb are capable of exploiting what's been a porous om defense

BulldogBear
09-19-2016, 05:12 PM
I don't get all the UGA hate this week. Ole Miss is setup for a HUGE letdown. Schools do it EVERY freaking year. Huge game, win or lose, look the 17 out the next week. I think it's a 50/50 pick 'em.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Sell. They have done all they are going to do. It's up to the NCAA now. They won't lose to UGA anyway so it's a moot point.

HSVDawg
09-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Really dumb question.

How? It was brought up in the latest Forde article on the investigation that if they started 1-3 it would be a potential move to lessen sanctions.

basedog
09-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Why would they give in now?

Hell no they will go down fighting till the end!

Mistakes were made, remember.

I can't wait to hear Paul's excuse.

BrunswickDawg
09-19-2016, 05:37 PM
I don't get all the UGA hate this week. Ole Miss is setup for a HUGE letdown. Schools do it EVERY freaking year. Huge game, win or lose, look the 17 out the next week. I think it's a 50/50 pick 'em.
And OM tends to be vulnerable to power running and clock control tempo. If UGA follows the Bama blueprint they can win. Add to it the Bama "hangover" factor, and UGA has a good chance to win.

ScottH
09-19-2016, 05:43 PM
I don't see UM losing but I do look forward to see how UGA approaches running the ball. Just maybe...

Todd4State
09-19-2016, 06:14 PM
And OM tends to be vulnerable to power running and clock control tempo. If UGA follows the Bama blueprint they can win. Add to it the Bama "hangover" factor, and UGA has a good chance to win.

Apparently the way to beat Ole Miss is to get down by 24 points and then score 40+ in the second half on them while completely shutting down their offense.

It's weird, but it apparently works.

BulldogBear
09-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Apparently the way to beat Ole Miss is to get down by 24 points and then score 40+ in the second half on them while completely shutting down their offense.

Well, one thing's for sure. Nobody should panic if suddenly down a few points to Ole Miss early in the game.

DogsofAnarchy
09-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Beat Georgia by 3+ touchdowns.

Soft sell here.

BeardoMSU
09-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Wish it wasn't the case, but the Georgia team I've seen this season is gonna get deep dicked by OM.

BulldogBear
09-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Wish it wasn't the case, but the Georgia team I've seen this season is gonna get deep dicked by OM.

Which means they're due for a good game!! UNC was a good win. I still say it's a coin flip.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Om defense ranks...

Total defense = 110th
Rushing defense = 115th
Passing defense = 61st
Scoring defense = 109th

Now I realize om has faced 2 good opponents, but that's bad. Louisville defense had no problem with fsu's offense (20 points and 3 were on a last second fg while losing by 40+). Even in their cupcake game, they gave up 233 yards rushing to wofford. The om offense is very good, but it's gonna be tough to whip any sec team playing defense like that.

RocketDawg
09-19-2016, 07:25 PM

Alabama didn't exactly shut down the Bears' offense in the second half. I was afraid they were going to win the game toward the end, as was everybody else.

I think the Bears beat Georgia. Georgia just hasn't looked good all year. But they do have the advantage of catching OM right after the devastating loss to Bama.

Percho
09-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Bama plays dumb. Ga should not throw more than 9 passes.

You can't score without the ball.

dawgday166
09-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Om defense ranks...

Total defense = 110th
Rushing defense = 115th
Passing defense = 61st
Scoring defense = 109th

Now I realize om has faced 2 good opponents, but that's bad. Louisville defense had no problem with fsu's offense (20 points and 3 were on a last second fg while losing by 40+). Even in their cupcake game, they gave up 233 yards rushing to wofford. The om offense is very good, but it's gonna be tough to whip any sec team playing defense like that.

So you think we got a shot in Oxford?

Commercecomet24
09-19-2016, 08:34 PM

I'm with you on this. Georgia can be very physical with Chubb and Michel and the bears don't like physical run right at them teams. Eason becoming a good qb and unm with a big time emotional letdown after bama. Could be the perfect storm for UGA to come in there and whip the bear behind. Remember nobody thought Memphis or Arky would beat em last year either.

Sell. They won't miss the last chance at a bowl for awhile.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 08:38 PM
So you think we got a shot in Oxford?

It's hard to predict sec games this Saturday, much less 2 months from now. If nothing changes, we will struggle mightily with their passing game. Neither team has good depth though, so with injuries, who knows what happens.

DownwardDawg
09-19-2016, 08:42 PM

Oh man I so agree with this!!! Whatever you do, do NOT follow the Bama game plan. It only works with elite athletes because it's a horrible game plan. Line up and run the ball north and south and throw over the middle. Go slow and eat clock. I don't have much faith in Kirby though. He hasn't slowed them down the past two years.

dawgday166
09-19-2016, 08:42 PM
It's hard to predict sec games this Saturday, much less 2 months from now. If nothing changes, we will struggle mightily with their passing game. Neither team has good depth though, so with injuries, who knows what happens.

Ok ...I'll go along with that. I hate to say it but Freeze and all the walking dead men he has as coaches are good game planners when a) they're the underdog b) it's us. But injuries do happen and sometimes major upsets too.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Ok ...I'll go along with that. I hate to say it but Freeze and all the walking dead men he has as coaches are good game planners when a) they're the underdog b) it's us. But injuries do happen and sometimes major upsets too.
Right now it would be a major upset if we won the egg though... they're better. I do think we can improve throughout the year though and hopefully they regress. I wouldn't bet $0.50 on us right now though

tireddawg
09-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Sell. They didn't do it**

msstate7
09-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Sell. They didn't do it**

Too late for that defense. They admitted guilt in their response to first NOA

Todd4State
09-19-2016, 10:17 PM
Alabama didn't exactly shut down the Bears' offense in the second half. I was afraid they were going to win the game toward the end, as was everybody else.

I think the Bears beat Georgia. Georgia just hasn't looked good all year. But they do have the advantage of catching OM right after the devastating loss to Bama.

OK- revision. Completely shut down their offense until you get so far ahead you play prevent to let them get a little bit closer.

Todd4State
09-19-2016, 10:18 PM

Ole Miss was definitely in their head.

gravedigger
09-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Soft sell here.

Ha. The ncaa isnt going to subtract a year from bowl bans or otherwise NOW. Might have pre nfl draft, but now it would only add to the bloodshed.

They know this is gonna hurt. No way do they admit theyve been lying to themselves all along. Not after the ridicule theyve already self inflicted. Too much invested. This is ole miss at its core. Next stop: attempted martyrdom.

Circa: 1994

Percho
09-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Ha. The ncaa isnt going to subtract a year from bowl bans or otherwise NOW. Might have pre nfl draft, but now it would only add to the bloodshed.

They know this is gonna hurt. No way do they admit theyve been lying to themselves all along. Not after the ridicule theyve already self inflicted. Too much invested. This is ole miss at its core. Next stop: attempted martyrdom.

Circa: 1994

Ole Hugh just might declare himself, humble!

SDDawg
09-19-2016, 11:25 PM
Buy.

MSUDawg99
09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Honest question...I didn't you could self impose a bowl ban? I figured they would just be doing that to themselves? Didn't think it worked that way? Did Rosebowl not address this sometime awhile back? I can't remember for sure though.

HSVDawg
09-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Honest question...I didn't you could self impose a bowl ban? I figured they would just be doing that to themselves? Didn't think it worked that way? Did Rosebowl not address this sometime awhile back? I can't remember for sure though.

You can self impose a postseason ban just like any other sanctions (scholarships, recruiting visits, etc.) as a method of alleviating future NCAA penalties. Miami and ULL did it recently with their sanctions, and several schools have done it in basketball (including USM). How much it would actually help is up for debate and pretty much at the discretion of the NCAA. But common logic suggests that a self-imposed postseason ban carries more weight before the season begins. The NCAA is more likely to see that as a gesture of goodwill than a team that just waits until they are out of the hunt for any championships or big bowl games before doing so. That's why I don't think they will do it.

DawgHouseUnited
09-20-2016, 02:11 PM
You can self impose a postseason ban just like any other sanctions (scholarships, recruiting visits, etc.) as a method of alleviating future NCAA penalties. Miami and ULL did it recently with their sanctions, and several schools have done it in basketball (including USM). How much it would actually help is up for debate and pretty much at the discretion of the NCAA. But common logic suggests that a self-imposed postseason ban carries more weight before the season begins. The NCAA is more likely to see that as a gesture of goodwill than a team that just waits until they are out of the hunt for any championships or big bowl games before doing so. That's why I don't think they will do it.

That was my question as well- could they really get away with doing it 1/3 of the way through the season? My thought is actually could they even do it after replying to the NOA? I can't imagine that the NCAA would agree to what would basically be a retroactive self-imposed ban.

Really Clark?
09-20-2016, 02:19 PM
That was my question as well- could they really get away with doing it 1/3 of the way through the season? My thought is actually could they even do it after replying to the NOA? I can't imagine that the NCAA would agree to what would basically be a retroactive self-imposed ban.

No they can't just decide to add a bowl ban after they have responded to the NOA with their written self imposed penalties already submitted to COI. However, what we still don't know is the ongoing or new information of infractions going to be added or is a second investigation leading to a second NOA. They are in some uncharted territory with a significant violations case.

I_Spy
09-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Buy

With the current trend of CJK losing or being outplayed by freshman QB's ...and one freshman just became clutch

Shea Pat may start this year.