PDA

View Full Version : MSU basketball

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-19-2016, 11:14 AM
I got bored and went through our basketball schedule. I am predicting we go 20-10. I dont see but 1 maybe 2 losses pre-SEC play. Based on the Italy trip I think this team will gel really well and get better as the season goes on setting up for a BIG 2017 year!

Thick
09-19-2016, 11:19 AM
I hope you are right.

Gomez09
09-19-2016, 11:37 AM
DGD do you think we make the Big dance or NIT?

CarolinaDawgs
09-19-2016, 01:14 PM
We have eradicated players that were accustom to taking L's. (aside from IJ) This alone is going to make us very very very hard to beat. Its a mentality that Dan Mullen could take some notes from.

jumbo
09-19-2016, 01:21 PM
I think we are a bubble team this year and next year is when we start to make noise.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 01:23 PM
I think we are a bubble team this year and next year is when we start to make noise.

Seems to be howland's pattern

WSOPdawg
09-19-2016, 01:24 PM
We have eradicated players that were accustom to taking L's. (aside from IJ) This alone is going to make us very very very hard to beat. Its a mentality that Dan Mullen could take some notes from.

Agree Carolina, as much as I hate to say, the seniors from last year's team didn't know how to win. Hopefully we can now move forward and change that mindset.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-19-2016, 01:28 PM
I think we just miss the dance...but next year I think we dance. I think it is safe to say that we are going to get back to owning the State in basketball again very soon. We really already have.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-19-2016, 01:29 PM
yep! Third year has been consistent at every program.

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 01:42 PM
I got bored and went through our basketball schedule. I am predicting we go 20-10. I dont see but 1 maybe 2 losses pre-SEC play. Based on the Italy trip I think this team will gel really well and get better as the season goes on setting up for a BIG 2017 year!

I would think you are being too optimistic but the Italy trip does give me pause. This team may gel and the freshmen adjust to the competition abnormally quickly.

mstatefan91
09-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Got my season tix ordered. Will be at as many as I can be.

MarketingBully
09-19-2016, 01:47 PM
I would think you are being too optimistic but the Italy trip does give me pause. This team may gel and the freshmen adjust to the competition abnormally quickly.

We have never had as much talent in our history as we do on this team and we have gone to a Final Four. With that said, I think this team makes the NIT with an outside shot at the NCAA Tournament. Next year though, we will be competing with UK and Auburn for the SEC Championship and I think we will be at least a Sweet Sixteen team.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-19-2016, 01:55 PM
And the year after that, if everyone sticks around you can possibly throw Robert Woodard in the mix...WOW

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 03:13 PM
We have never had as much talent in our history as we do on this team and we have gone to a Final Four. With that said, I think this team makes the NIT with an outside shot at the NCAA Tournament. Next year though, we will be competing with UK and Auburn for the SEC Championship and I think we will be at least a Sweet Sixteen team.

The thing that really has me excited is that as good as everybody is, I see a lot of prospects that will still be here for their junior year, so they should really have a chance to get together.

MarketingBully
09-19-2016, 04:58 PM
The thing that really has me excited is that as good as everybody is, I see a lot of prospects that will still be here for their junior year, so they should really have a chance to get together.

I think the most positive thing about this team is everyone likes each other. After last year's bad chemistry issues, that is a huge positive that can't be overlooked.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm gonna wait till we see them against decent opposition before I get too excited.

smootness
09-19-2016, 05:36 PM

This makes very little sense.

How is Mullen's mentality different from this? And the main positive is that we're replacing players with more talented players, not that we're replacing guys who have lost with guys who have never played.

KentuckyDawg13
09-20-2016, 10:40 AM
This team will make it, surprise SEC team in the making.

Was wondering how many are going to accept this challenge?

http://hailstate.com/news/2016/9/15/mens-basketball-walk-on-tryouts-set-for-sept-29.aspx

Just from an entertainment perspective, I would do it if I were still a student.

CarolinaDawgs
09-20-2016, 11:17 AM
This makes very little sense.

How is Mullen's mentality different from this? And the main positive is that we're replacing players with more talented players, not that we're replacing guys who have lost with guys who have never played.

Whats one thing that all these kids who have never played together have in common? Winning at the previous level.. not being the best player Cullman, AL has seen in a few years. The point is winning is a habit and Howland has gotten not only talent, but talented winners.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Whats one thing that all these kids who have never played together have in common? Winning at the previous level.. not being the best player Cullman, AL has seen in a few years. The point is winning is a habit and Howland has gotten not only talent, but talented winners.

Winning at the previous level really doesn't mean much when you hit this one. If it did then just go get the best players at every 1A state champ in the south. What matters is how good you are and how good the players around you are. As I said, I'm going to wait and see what we look like against decent opposition.

Johnson85
09-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Winning at the previous level really doesn't mean much when you hit this one. If it did then just go get the best players at every 1A state champ in the south. What matters is how good you are and how good the players around you are. As I said, I'm going to wait and see what we look like against decent opposition.

I think this is completely wrong. Talent is required, but give me a team made up of talented players that have won consistently at a previous level over a team made up of talented players that lost at the previous level.

smootness
09-20-2016, 01:47 PM

You don't think our previous players won in HS?

The one thing these new players all have in common is that they're very talented, which is certainly exciting. I promise you Howland is not on the recruiting trail just scouting state champions.

And I still don't get the Mullen statement. He has mentioned a recruit's winning history and mentality many, many times.

CarolinaDawgs
09-20-2016, 01:51 PM
I think this is completely wrong. Talent is required, but give me a team made up of talented players that have won consistently at a previous level over a team made up of talented players that lost at the previous level.

This is my point. Thank you for using your brain.

smootness
09-20-2016, 02:14 PM
Fred Thomas, Gavin Ware, Craig Sword, and IJ Ready all won state titles in HS, and Zuppardo won one in JUCO. So what was the point again?