PDA

View Full Version : Need a 5 game winning streak, starting Saturday

oildawg
09-19-2016, 09:10 AM
For us to get to a bowl (6 wins), we really need to win the next 5 games to get to 6-2. The last 4 games are much tougher than the next 5 games.

Next 5 - @UMass, Auburn, @BYU, @UK, Samford
Last 4 - Texas A&M, @Alabama, Arkansas, @TSUN

We have a decent shot at TAMU and Arkansas, at home - but my anxiety level will be much better if we are already bowl eligible after the Samford game.

We need to use the UMass game to work out some issues, in preparation for the next 3 games that will make or break our season - Auburn, @BYU, @UK.

EAVdog
09-19-2016, 09:18 AM
I was just about to post that we are entering the most favorable stretch in our schedule.

5 in a row to be 6-2 going in to the 4 weeks of death that is the end of our schedule would be great. It's very doable. And if we don't win the next 5 then it will be hard to make a bowl game this year.

Gomez09
09-19-2016, 09:43 AM
BYU scares the absolute crap out of me... I believe we get the other four games but the BYU game is going to be the hardest in my opinion

BossDawg
09-19-2016, 09:49 AM
I certainly think we have the capability to make a run and win the next five, but will we? I'm still not convinced that Mullen has his mind 100% on the team. Whether it's because he's burned out or something else, I just feel like he's going through the motions. That's what has me concerned.

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 09:53 AM
BYU scares the absolute crap out of me... I believe we get the other four games but the BYU game is going to be the hardest in my opinion

What about Auburn makes people think we are going to beat them? Their defense is good and while they have QB problems, I think Sean White is definitely good enough to move the ball against us. We definitely can win, but it's not like Auburn has looked like shit and we have. They played Clemson decent, beat a cupcake, and then played A&M decent. We lost to a shitty team, beat a shitty team, and lost to a sort of shitty team. Their track record is looking a good bit better than ours right now.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 09:57 AM
What about Auburn makes people think we are going to beat them? Their defense is good and while they have QB problems, I think Sean White is definitely good enough to move the ball against us. We definitely can win, but it's not like Auburn has looked like shit and we have. They played Clemson decent, beat a cupcake, and then played A&M decent. We lost to a shitty team, beat a shitty team, and lost to a sort of shitty team. Their track record is looking a good bit better than ours right now.

The "shitty" team we just lost to is a favorite at auburn, so auburn must be shitty too, right?

msudawglb
09-19-2016, 09:58 AM
I was just about to post that we are entering the most favorable stretch in our schedule.

For the record...we entered the most favorable part of our schedule when we started with USA. We started the season with 8 winnable games....

lamont
09-19-2016, 10:01 AM
We have the week off to get ready for Auburn- so that should really give us a chance

EAVdog
09-19-2016, 10:05 AM
USA was an outlier. Just a freak accident. Even Saban lost to ULM once. Shit happens, need to flush that turd and move on.

Had we won (I know if's and but's) and 2-1 with a 3 point loss to LSU everyone would feel differently.

At worst I think we end up 4-1 out of the next 5 needing 1 win out of aTm/Arky/Bama/OM. Which will be hard but not impossible, looking at you Arky.

Beaver
09-19-2016, 10:06 AM
This really isn't that far fetched... UMass is not good. They were badly beaten by Boston College. Then we have a bye week to prepare for Auburn at home. If Auburn loses to LSU, the team might quit on Malzahn. I'm not sure why BYU scares people. They are not good either, and will be coming off a beating from Michigan State when we play them. Kentucky is awful, and Samford is an FCS team.

TrapGame
09-19-2016, 10:22 AM
This really isn't that far fetched... UMass is not good. They were badly beaten by Boston College. Then we have a bye week to prepare for Auburn at home. If Auburn loses to LSU, the team might quit on Malzahn. I'm not sure why BYU scares people. They are not good either, and will be coming off a beating from Michigan State when we play them. Kentucky is awful, and Samford is an FCS team.

BYU are just a bunch of Mormon kids that try really, really hard. If Dan RTGDB we will win. If Dan wants Fitz to be Joe Montana then it could be a loss.

parabrave
09-19-2016, 10:39 AM
BYU are just a bunch of Mormon kids that try really, really hard. If Dan RTGDB we will win. If Dan wants Fitz to be Joe Montana then it could be a loss.

McMahon disagrees. And after he left they probably swore no more catholics.

Gomez09
09-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Not to be an ass but the whole Saban lost to ULM before is not comparing apples to apples. Saban lost to ULM during year 1 I believe. Mullen lost to USA during year 8...... that's a huge ass difference

msstate7
09-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Not to be an ass but the whole Saban lost to ULM before is not comparing apples to apples. Saban lost to ULM during year 1 I believe. Mullen lost to USA during year 8...... that's a huge ass difference
Bobby Bowden had a losing record his 5th year at wvu after winning 8, 7, 8, and 6 in previous years. He won 9 the next year and bolted to Fsu.

Bo schembechler went 6-6 his 16th year. He followed it up with 10-1-1 the next season and 11-2 the next.

Urban Meyer went 7-5 in regular season his 6th year at Florida after losing tebow

Frank Beamer went 2-8-1 his 7th year at VT. He won 9 the next year and 12 at least 10 wins seasons after that

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 10:59 AM
The "shitty" team we just lost to is a favorite at auburn, so auburn must be shitty too, right?

Well, Auburn has major issues, I just think our weakness in the secondary will let them off the hook for their biggest weakness on offense. I am surprised that LSU is favored at Auburn. I think that's a combination of casual gamblers still having an artificially high opinion of LSU and smart gamblers thinking there's no way LSU can continue to suck this bad with the talent they have. I think it also reflects casual and smart gamblers having a hesitant attitude towards Auburn after the last couple of years.

If LSU plays like it played the last two weeks, I think they'll lose.

Political Hack
09-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Bobby Bowden had a losing record his 5th year at wvu after winning 8, 7, 8, and 6 in previous years. He won 9 the next year and bolted to Fsu.

Bo schembechler went 6-6 his 16th year. He followed it up with 10-1-1 the next season and 11-2 the next.

Urban Meyer went 7-5 in regular season his 6th year at Florida after losing tebow

Frank Beamer went 2-8-1 his 7th year at VT. He won 9 the next year and 12 at least 10 wins seasons after that

It's not just W's and L's that go into it. That's the main part of it, but it's the factors that led to the let down that you have to get corrected. They're glaring. & I don't see any solid steps being taken to correct them right now.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Yes we do need a 5 game winning streak I wanna continue my streak of bowl appearances !! 13 in a row looking for number 14!

LC Dawg
09-19-2016, 11:09 AM
I watched BYU play Saturday night and they didn't look very good to me. With all the talk about us not matching the SEC West teams in talent I would say we greatly outmatch BYU in talent. The short week bothers me the most about this game.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-19-2016, 11:24 AM
It's not just W's and L's that go into it. That's the main part of it, but it's the factors that led to the let down that you have to get corrected. They're glaring. & I don't see any solid steps being taken to correct them right now.

Even if we do take the steps, the country club part of the staff has put us in such a hole with their lack of urgency in recruiting and one foot out the door mentality that I don't see us recovering for at least another 2 seasons.

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 12:10 PM

This is a list I've been curious about. How many coaches turn it around after having a significant dip after they've been somewhere 5 or 6 years. I've been pretty pessimistic on Mullen turning it around just because I feel like it doesn't happen very often. Of course some of that is I'm not sure how many coaches get an adequate chance to turn it around.

One other coach to add to that would be Jo Paterno. He had some pretty bad years late in his career and then recovered. But that's still a pretty short list of coaches. Is the list short because it's a short list? Or are there plenty of examples that people just don't remember because the coach turned it around and the bad seasons were forgotten?

HancockCountyDog
09-19-2016, 12:19 PM
We have the week off to get ready for Auburn- so that should really give us a chance

AU is a trainwreck offensively. I just watched the game last night, they couldn't get plays off against A&M.

I think we win that one by 10+.

BrunswickDawg
09-19-2016, 12:32 PM
This is a list I've been curious about. How many coaches turn it around after having a significant dip after they've been somewhere 5 or 6 years. I've been pretty pessimistic on Mullen turning it around just because I feel like it doesn't happen very often. Of course some of that is I'm not sure how many coaches get an adequate chance to turn it around.

One other coach to add to that would be Jo Paterno. He had some pretty bad years late in his career and then recovered. But that's still a pretty short list of coaches. Is the list short because it's a short list? Or are there plenty of examples that people just don't remember because the coach turned it around and the bad seasons were forgotten?

There are a number of examples in the past - but I'd say difficult to find occurring in the last 10 or so years.
Good example - Vince Dooley. 5-5 in his 7th year (1970), 6-6 in his 11th year (1974), 5-6 in his 14th year (1977), and 6-5 in his 16th (1979). There was a lot of clamor for him to be gone after all of those seasons - in particular in 1979. Then, he signs 1 player that changes everything.

Dooley rebuilt UGA - and yes it was a rebuild after 3 years of Johnny Griffith - but it took time to be a consistent big winner. He only won 8 or more 5 times in 16 seasons prior to Herschel. You will never see that level of patience today.

basedog
09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Fournette will be a beast against Auburn. Auburn can't score. Lsu wins this game by 10 at least.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 12:42 PM

Jim tressel went 3-8 his 10th year at Youngstown state after winning 3 of the 4 previous 1AA championships. He went 8-3 the next year and won another natty the year after that.

Art briles went 7-5 his 5th year at Baylor following a 10 win season the previous year. He followed it up with 3 straight 10 wins or better seasons before being fired.

Mark dantonio went 7-6 in his 6th year. He has had 3 straight 11+ seasons since including winning rose, cotton, and making playoffs

TrapGame
09-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Jim tressel went 3-8 his 10th year at Youngstown state after winning 3 of the 4 previous 1AA championships. He went 8-3 the next year and won another natty the year after that.

Art briles went 7-5 his 5th year at Baylor following a 10 win season the previous year. He followed it up with 3 straight 10 wins or better seasons before being fired.

Mark dantonio went 7-6 in his 6th year. He has had 3 straight 11+ seasons since including winning rose, cotton, and making playoffs

As long as Dan focuses on the team, recruiting, coaching and not his future head coaching job we'll be fine.

MarketingBully
09-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Well, Auburn has major issues, I just think our weakness in the secondary will let them off the hook for their biggest weakness on offense. I am surprised that LSU is favored at Auburn. I think that's a combination of casual gamblers still having an artificially high opinion of LSU and smart gamblers thinking there's no way LSU can continue to suck this bad with the talent they have. I think it also reflects casual and smart gamblers having a hesitant attitude towards Auburn after the last couple of years.

If LSU plays like it played the last two weeks, I think they'll lose.

Auburn is not good. And you think they can beat us in the air? Their receivers suck ass. They don't have the five star receivers that LSU has and White is a step below Etling. LSU will beat Auburn at Auburn. Gus is going to be fired after this year.

EAVdog
09-19-2016, 01:12 PM

We've been spoiled the last 7 years. Freeze lost to Memphis last year. It happens.

This year has always been a rebuilding year, 6-6 to 8-4 at best. Next year we should be pretty salty.

Todd4State
09-19-2016, 01:27 PM
As long as Dan focuses on the team, recruiting, coaching and not his future head coaching job we'll be fine.

That's the problem.

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Jim Tressel is a good example. That's a guy that clearly knows how to coach that let a season get away from him.

Going 7-5 at Baylor is not what I had in mind when I said significant dip, although 10 wins to 7 is obviously a significant dip. Nor is going 7-6 at Michigan State. If Mullen gets to 6 wins this year, I won't be concerned at all about him "turning it around". He will have had a pretty normal down year. Yes, he will have had an awful, terrible, inexcusable loss in that down year, but that's balanced by the fact that he still got to six wins in a down year after dropping the second easiest W on his schedule.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Jim Tressel is a good example. That's a guy that clearly knows how to coach that let a season get away from him.

Going 7-5 at Baylor is not what I had in mind when I said significant dip, although 10 wins to 7 is obviously a significant dip. Nor is going 7-6 at Michigan State. If Mullen gets to 6 wins this year, I won't be concerned at all about him "turning it around". He will have had a pretty normal down year. Yes, he will have had an awful, terrible, inexcusable loss in that down year, but that's balanced by the fact that he still got to six wins in a down year after dropping the second easiest W on his schedule.

Dantonio win totals in year 4 thru 9...

7 (6-6 regular season)

TrapGame
09-19-2016, 02:12 PM
That's the problem.

Yep. I should have added a few ****.

Dawgology
09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
After losing to USA I don't take any game as a given. We should be 2-1. We COuLD be 3-0 if Mullen pulls his head out of his ass. Instead we are staring down a 5 win season.

Bothrops
09-19-2016, 03:15 PM

I may be mistaken, but didn't hear that Franklin III will get the chance from here?

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Dantonio win totals in year 4 thru 9...

7 (6-6 regular season)

Damn. I knew Dantonio was having a good run but I didn't realize it was that good.

HSVDawg
09-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Damn. I knew Dantonio was having a good run but I didn't realize it was that good.

Yep. Michigan State has been a legitimate Top 5 program for the last half decade or so. Yet nobody realizes it.

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 03:32 PM
I may be mistaken, but didn't hear that Franklin III will get the chance from here?

I had not heard that. If he goes with Franklin III against us, I would expect us to win. The only hesitation would be if he can just throw a good deep ball, he might be dangerous even if he can't read a defense.

BulldogBear
09-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Auburn is not good. And you think they can beat us in the air? Their receivers suck ass. They don't have the five star receivers that LSU has and White is a step below Etling. LSU will beat Auburn at Auburn. Gus is going to be fired after this year.

I think so too. I think GM got too much credit for a few good turns at OC.

RocketDawg
09-19-2016, 04:18 PM

I'm not sure a week off is a good thing. It gives a chance for injuries to heal, but it seems for us it's always seems to be a chance for us to become rusty.

RocketDawg
09-19-2016, 04:21 PM

It'll be a miracle if he's not fired. In fact, he may not make it through the year the rate he's going.

BulldogBear
09-19-2016, 05:10 PM
BYU bothers me the most of the next five, simply because they're closest thing to an unknown quantity other than Samford and that really doesn't count although South Alabama would probably beg to differ. Some of this is psychological as I have nightmares of illegal blocks in 2001. But with that stated, just who will be officiating the game, a neutral crew? I know at times it has been that Conference officials would officiate the road game in a series, such as the sorry MWC crew we faced in 2001. Now, they're not even in a conference anyway. So, I guess what I'm asking is do we really have any reason to be worried about officiating in Provo or are we just seeing ghosts?

yjnkdawg
09-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Yep. I hope our coaches have been preparing for this too " BYU's LaVell Edwards Stadium sits at an elevation of 4,630 feet". Texas players used elevation training masks during their workouts this summer to better prepare for the elevation.

MarketingBully
09-19-2016, 05:29 PM
If we go back to being a physical football team and Mullen calls a game which highlights Nick's strengths, I think we could go on that five game winning streak. If he keeps calling the Dak offense, we are in big trouble. We are 0-2 with him calling the Dak pass happy offense and 1-0 with the Relf offense.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2016, 06:50 PM
The environment at BYU is tough but they are not a good football team. I've watched every one of their games. They have no team speed on either side of the ball. Taysom Hill is not the same QB after the 3 leg injuries and Detmer is trying to run air raid with a spread option QB. For the first time in as long as i can remember BYU OL is below average, they don't protect well at all. They are the quality of usce right now. We are Jekyll and Hyde right now and Anything can happen but if we play like we did against usce and the last half at lsu we should win by 10+.