PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss is Smart with who They Pay Off

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Just because Ole Miss has cheated in recruiting doesn't mean there aren't some things to learn from them. Specifically with who they pay.

We don't have to become a top 10 recruiter, we just have to recruit well at the correct positions.

Here is Ole Miss' playbook.

- Always make sure you have an elite LT (every 3 years go all in on the country's #1 LT)

- Always make sure you have an elite QB (Every 4 years, go all in here. Mullen's strength)

- Always make sure you have elite WRs (Need to get one a year to have the proper pipeline)

- Do the best you can to fill in the rest of the OL (Slightly better recruiting than we currently have here, but doesn't have to be elite)

- Always have 1 or 2 elite DL including a elite pass rusher (We are kind of already doing this. Just need 1 more pass rusher each year)

- LB doesn't matter (We naturally recruit well here)

- Secondary only matter a little. Don't have to be elite here, just servicable (Not enough QBs in SEC or college football to be a big problem if you can score on offense)

- Just need a serviceable RB. Don't have to be elite here specifically if your elite at QB, WR, & LT. (Should naturally recruit better than serviceable)

So really, what are we talking about here? We are talking about targeting 3-4 national recruits a year that play specific positions. You won't be as talented Alabama or LSU, but you'll have elite talent at the pressure point positions that give you a chance to beat them.

My point is that saying we need to recruit in the top 10 is unrealistic, but saying that we need to go all in on 3-4 national recruits a year seems much more reasonable. After that, you can just continue to do what we have been doing in recruiting.

AROB44
09-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Just because Ole Miss has cheated in recruiting doesn't mean there aren't some things to learn from them. Specifically with who they pay.

We don't have to become a top 10 recruiter, we just have to recruit well at the correct positions.

Here is Ole Miss' playbook.

- Always make sure you have an elite LT (every 3 years go all in on the country's #1 LT)

- Always make sure you have an elite QB (Every 4 years, go all in here. Mullen's strength)

- Always make sure you have elite WRs (Need to get one a year to have the proper pipeline)

- Do the best you can to fill in the rest of the OL (Slightly better recruiting than we currently have here, but doesn't have to be elite)

- Always have 1 or 2 elite DL including a elite pass rusher (We are kind of already doing this. Just need 1 more pass rusher each year)

- LB doesn't matter (We naturally recruit well here)

- Secondary only matter a little. Don't have to be elite here, just servicable (Not enough QBs in SEC or college football to be a big problem if you can score on offense)

- Just need a serviceable RB. Don't have to be elite here specifically if your elite at QB, WR, & LT. (Should naturally recruit better than serviceable)

So really, what are we talking about here? We are talking about targeting 3-4 national recruits a year that play specific positions. You won't be as talented Alabama or LSU, but you'll have elite talent at the pressure point positions that give you a chance to beat them.

My point is that saying we need to recruit in the top 10 is unrealistic, but saying that we need to go all in on 3-4 national recruits a year seems much more reasonable. After that, you can just continue to do what we have been doing in recruiting.

And how much are you willing to kick in on this hair brain idea? Got to be some serious $$$$ or are your talking about OPM (Other Peoples Money)?

msstate7
09-19-2016, 09:26 AM
I think you're about to see the price on a great LT is more than what you pay to get him on campus... om is about to pay in more ways for tunsil and I will be surprised if they don't pay more for little also

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Ole Miss hasn't nearly paid the full price, YET.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 09:28 AM
And how much are you willing to kick in on this hair brain idea? Got to be some serious $$$$ or are your talking about OPM (Other Peoples Money)?

This is why I never flip out on recruiting. I know kids get extra and I'm in no way willing to give them that extra myself. Therefore I can't get mad at losing recruits when I'm unwilling to play the game at all

AlSwearengen
09-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Sure. It is a domino effect. A top QB wants protection from a top notch LT. Receivers want a good QB. It all starts with the LT.

Olemiss people are more knowledgeable as a whole than State people when it comes to football.

Political Hack
09-19-2016, 10:32 AM
You don't pay for play. That's a disaster. If you don't get caught, your players have you by the balls and will start smoking weed on camera and jumping out of holiday inns. If you do get caught, you get hammered.

Bully13
09-19-2016, 10:55 AM

(OPM)....WAS that a dig at democrats?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Sure. It is a domino effect. A top QB wants protection from a top notch LT. Receivers want a good QB. It all starts with the LT.

Olemiss people are more knowledgeable as a whole than State people when it comes to smelling their own farts.

FIFY

tireddawg
09-19-2016, 10:58 AM
It's not the knowledge we need from our fans, it's money. I agree with shotgun, we need to play the game a little better. Not get crazy with it, just go after certain positions differently. If you have a great offensive line you're gonna recruit better at other positions. And yes, I'm willing to help out.

In college I worked for a booster. I still talk to him occasionally & have talked to him recently. He has money & so does his buddies. He told me they try to get certain players a certain way & Dan is just extremely nervous about it & doesn't comply with them much.

I'm not a fire Dan guy or a keep Dan guy. I just don't worry about that kind of stuff. A lot of folks here worry if we fire him what would we do. Well 4 mil can do A lot. I don't mind Dan shopping around if it doesn't interfere with his job here, but it did & that needs to be addressed. If he doesn't want to be here I would prefer he not be.

BeastMan
09-19-2016, 11:03 AM
You don't pay for play. That's a disaster. If you don't get caught, your players have you by the balls and will start smoking weed on camera and jumping out of holiday inns. If you do get caught, you get hammered.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-47144-Great-Scott-gif-Back-to-the-Fu-Trnh.gif

Gutter Cobreh
09-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Remind me again what Ole Miss has to show for all their efforts????

If you're going to point to the Sugar Bowl, we matched them with the Orange Bowl.

They've paid for the best talent at these specific positions and yet to have anything meaningful to show for it. I'd stay true to have an entire team versus a few high prized recruits at specific positions.

AROB44
09-19-2016, 11:46 AM

Are you referring to D. Walker, by chance?

Political Hack
09-19-2016, 02:11 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-47144-Great-Scott-gif-Back-to-the-Fu-Trnh.gif

Lol. Well done.

Just speaking in generalities. There's a lot of "gray area" in recruiting that gets dabbled in by all schools, but "pay for play" will destroy your program whether you get caught or not. I've always felt that way.

In no way, shape, or form is Ole Miss "smart" with any of this. They're about to be hammered into submission.

GreenheadDawg
09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
This is why I never flip out on recruiting. I know kids get extra and I'm in no way willing to give them that extra myself. Therefore I can't get mad at losing recruits when I'm unwilling to play the game at all

I'm the same way. I would love to see us land some big time recruits and win some big games but I'm not using my money to pay for it. I give to the bulldog club and that's it. Now having said that, y'all need to stop being tight wads and fork up Some money so we can get some talent.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Lol. Well done.

Just speaking in generalities. There's a lot of "gray area" in recruiting that gets dabbled in by all schools, but "pay for play" will destroy your program whether you get caught or not. I've always felt that way.

In no way, shape, or form is Ole Miss "smart" with any of this. They're about to be hammered into submission.

This^^^^^^