PDA

View Full Version : If We Are A Developmental Program, Why Aren't Our 4 Star Players Developing?

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2016, 08:50 AM
We talk all the time about how to get more talent on campus, but why isn't some of the talent we have developing?

Gibson
Dear
Gerri Green
Aeris Williams
Jamal Peters
Brandon Bryant
Jamoral Graham
Alec Murphy
Chris Stamps
Ashton Shumpert
Martinas Rankin

All of the above players were listed as a 4 star by at least one recruiting site, yet we get virtually no production out of these players.

Why? I thought we were a developmental program?

gtowndawg
09-19-2016, 08:55 AM
I had the exact same thought this weekend. Aeris was a HUGE recruit, yet he looks lost at times out there after 3 years in the program. Not 3 weeks in the program, three years.

dawgday166
09-19-2016, 08:57 AM
I been wondering this too. I also wonder how a player can look pretty good one year (Senior, Jenkins, Malone) and seem to regress so badly the next. I just don't get it.

ETA: This is why I'm thinking it has to be coaching. It is happening way too frequently. I also watched Dan's post-game. He said the only adjustment they made at half was to tell the kids just play hard and with relentless effort. My question: Why didn't he tell them that before the game?

And of course it's never the game plan or preparation that is the issue.

bluelightstar
09-19-2016, 09:01 AM
Recently, Dak said that we have an NFL-caliber offense in terms of reads and level of difficulty. I thought he was kind of just blowing smoke, but maybe it's true. That's fine for some of our players but I wonder if we need to keep it simple like Hugh Freeze and just let athletes go be athletes -- the old "do a few things well" idea. I don't know, but our offense and our offensive players look confused way too often. Even in the USA game, Damian and the receivers were struggling to be on the same page on the routes. I don't know, just a thought.

ETA: I thought in 2009-2011, we had a very straightforward downhill offense that knew what its goal was. Seems to me the Russell era marked a change in our offense to being more of one with complicated passing schemes. If we have a Dak Prescott, this is good (see 2014 where we could basically drop 500 yards on just about anybody) but this just isn't working for our new QBs right now.

Wet Dawg
09-19-2016, 09:03 AM
We talk all the time about how to get more talent on campus, but why isn't some of the talent we have developing?

Gibson
Dear
Gerri Green
Aeris Williams
Jamal Peters
Brandon Bryant
Jamoral Graham
Alec Murphy
Chris Stamps
Ashton Shumpert
Martinas Rankin

All of the above players were listed as a 4 star by at least one recruiting site, yet we get virtually no production out of these players.

I would give the defensive players a pass due to so many different coaches they've had to endure.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-19-2016, 09:09 AM
You can take your love affair with Freeze over to Spirit. Plenty of other coaches you could have referenced there.

bluelightstar
09-19-2016, 09:11 AM
You can take your love affair with Freeze over to Spirit. Plenty of other coaches you could have referenced there.

Well my other first thought was Malzahn but he's not exactly a good example right now.

lamont
09-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Gibson
Dear
Gerri Green
Aeris Williams
Jamal Peters
Brandon Bryant
Jamoral Graham
Alec Murphy
Chris Stamps
Ashton Shumpert
Martinas Rankin

You just have an agenda. Dan Mullen is the best coach in school history

TrapGame
09-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Well my other first thought was Malzahn but he's not exactly a good example right now.

No, he's not. And that's another shit show Mullen better out coach this year. Besides their DL there ain't much there.

msstate7
09-19-2016, 09:29 AM
No, he's not. And that's another shit show Mullen better out coach this year. Besides their DL there ain't much there.

Auburn is a loss this weekend from packing it in imo. Hopefully lsu breaks their will

AusTexDawg
09-19-2016, 09:40 AM
I would give the defensive players a pass due to so many different coaches they've had to endure.

Correct - there is no way this hasn't hampered their development some. Seems like it would be hard to make refinements if you're having to spend significant time learning the terminology or getting taught different core techniques year in and year out.

fishwater99
09-19-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm so tired of hearing the we are a Developmental program and that we are a Young Team excuses.

HSVDawg
09-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Green is a starter and had a forced fumble this weekend and Peters had a pick last week. I'd call that production from both of those guys considering that both are only sophomores. Agree with the others, although I haven't paid enough attention to see how much Rankin has been out there.

GTHOM
09-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Theres no excuse for Aeris Williams or Shumpert to not be good starting SEC RBs. Malik Dear doesnt want to play RB thats not Dans fault. He didnt wanna play RB in high school hes not gonna do it here, hes also in the Mullen doghouse and you all know how that goes

I seen it dawg
09-19-2016, 11:45 AM
If Dear wants touches he would go to rb...

Tripp McNeely
09-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Gibson
Dear
Gerri Green
Aeris Williams
Jamal Peters
Brandon Bryant
Jamoral Graham
Alec Murphy
Chris Stamps
Ashton Shumpert
Martinas Rankin

5 (if not 6) of the guys that you list aren't getting meaningful snaps...so, how do you know that they're not developing properly? Are they not being developed, or are they not playing because there is a preference for more seasoned (less talented) players...a VERY valid argument could be made for that part of the equation but probably not in this thread.

Bothrops
09-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Some of those guys don't play, so it's hard to get production out of them.

Johnson85
09-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Gibson - RS FR?
Dear - In the doghouse; sucks because based on teh tiny sample we have, he looks like our best playmaker on O unless it's Ross
Gerri Green - ??? He's playing is he not? Is he not developing?
Aeris Williams - Legitimate example
Jamal Peters - True sophomore, but it does suck that it looks like we're going to use two years of his eligibility without figuring out what he is
Brandon Bryant - Legitimate example. He may just not have the instincts
Jamoral Graham - Legitimate example. I'm scared Peters is going to follow the same path
Alec Murphy - RS Freshman?
Chris Stamps
Ashton Shumpert - Legitimate example, but it seems like he's developed in things that can be taught. Not sure it's the coaches fault that he's not a good runner.
Martinas Rankin - I'm less trusting of JUCO evaluations, but he is starting now is he not? If we get two years of starting out of a jUCO player, that seems ok?

No doubt we have had some people not develop, but I think our percentage of players developing (with the glaring exception of RB) is fine. It's not having enough prospects to being with that's the problem.

LanceHarbor
09-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Recently, Dak said that we have an NFL-caliber offense in terms of reads and level of difficulty. I thought he was kind of just blowing smoke, but maybe it's true. That's fine for some of our players but I wonder if we need to keep it simple like Hugh Freeze and just let athletes go be athletes -- the old "do a few things well" idea. I don't know, but our offense and our offensive players look confused way too often. Even in the USA game, Damian and the receivers were struggling to be on the same page on the routes. I don't know, just a thought.

ETA: I thought in 2009-2011, we had a very straightforward downhill offense that knew what its goal was. Seems to me the Russell era marked a change in our offense to being more of one with complicated passing schemes. If we have a Dak Prescott, this is good (see 2014 where we could basically drop 500 yards on just about anybody) but this just isn't working for our new QBs right now.

One thing I admire about UM's offense: they get the ball to their playmakers. They put 43 points up against one of the best defenses in the nation.

missouridawg
09-19-2016, 03:41 PM

Gibson
Dear
Gerri Green
Aeris Williams
Jamal Peters
Brandon Bryant
Jamoral Graham
Alec Murphy
Chris Stamps
Ashton Shumpert
Martinas Rankin

Well, some of the players you listed weren't four stars. Bryant, Murphy, Stamps.

A huge lot of the players listed are in year 2.

Aeris and Graham appear to be busts, at this point. Shumpert appears to have suffered through a terrible OL last year, along with a scheme that was geared more towards passing.

Green, Rankin, and Leo appear to be pretty damn good players.

I seen it dawg
09-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Peters needs to toughen up

lamont
09-19-2016, 05:47 PM
One thing I admire about UM's offense: they get the ball to their playmakers. They put 43 points up against one of the best defenses in the nation.

They scored 43 Saturday. Mullen has scored 60 points TOTAL vs Bama in 7 games

Bothrops
09-19-2016, 06:19 PM

If that's not telling, I don't know what is.

bluelightstar
09-19-2016, 06:34 PM

You telling me we average fewer than 9 points a game against Alabama? Yikes.

dawgday166
09-19-2016, 08:29 PM
You telling me we average fewer than 9 points a game against Alabama? Yikes.

That includes the 20 points in 2014 with the best QB in the draft this year. Without that less than 7 / game. That right there is a high-powered offense ******

msstate7
09-19-2016, 08:33 PM
That includes the 20 points in 2014 with the best QB in the draft this year. Without that less than 7 / game. That right there is a high-powered offense ******

I love Dak as much anybody here, but I'm liking what I see in wentz too. He's gonna be a very good qb

tireddawg
09-19-2016, 09:01 PM
I love Dak as much anybody here, but I'm liking what I see in wentz too. He's gonna be a very good qb

Dude you can't say that here. Have you lost your mind?*

msstate7
09-19-2016, 09:07 PM

Haha... I think they're both gonna be really good NFL qb's

lamont
09-19-2016, 09:16 PM

you really are outing yourself as an OM fan. Cmon man- do better. State fans love Prescott and he is absolutely one of the best QB's in this NFL class- but nobody will debate you for hours that he is absolutely, hands-down the best QB in the draft

tireddawg
09-19-2016, 09:33 PM
I was talking about Wentz dude. Hence the * Chill. I thought Dak should have gone in the first round. He's proven me right. I don't know shit about Wentz