PDA

View Full Version : OM

msstate7
08-30-2013, 07:38 AM
I've gotta admit that I watched them last night with some fear. I was scared I was gonna see this 9-10 game winner that the media has been predicting. I'm not scared of them after seeing them play. They will be dependent on the pass this year which is never good in the sec. I have serious doubts that they can stop the run. The one thing I was impressed with is their freshmen. Those guys are gonna be studs. Chris jones, Wilson, Ross (when healthy), and shump are gonna be players too though.

J-Dawg
08-30-2013, 08:15 AM
I realize Scott broke off the long run, but if you can contain Wallace on the read-option, and then on the flip side establish a N/S running game (which Vandy couldn't do), OM is very beatable. Their flashy skill players will make plays, but they've got some holes on the OL and in the defensive backfield.

ETA: Wallace has a noodle arm on any pass over about 15-20 yards.

SignalToNoise
08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Nothing I saw last night has me worried. We'll see how things develop as the season goes.

HancockCountyDog
08-30-2013, 08:28 AM
I've gotta admit that I watched them last night with some fear. I was scared I was gonna see this 9-10 game winner that the media has been predicting. I'm not scared of them after seeing them play. They will be dependent on the pass this year which is never good in the sec. I have serious doubts that they can stop the run. The one thing I was impressed with is their freshmen. Those guys are gonna be studs. Chris jones, Wilson, Ross (when healthy), and shump are gonna be players too though.

Im not sure how you can say they can't stop the run. Vandy ran for about 130 yards on 33 carries, and one of those was a 30+ yard run. Without that run they held Vandy to under 3 ypc. That is pretty good. What you should be focused on is the fact that their secondary is TURRIBLE!!! Russell should have a field day. Just a field day.

archdog
08-30-2013, 08:53 AM
I am more worried about the energy they have at the beginning of the game. Given that was aided by the poor play of vandy in teh 1st quarter and the bad punt.

They come to play. Better be ready.

Dawgfan77
08-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Vandy should have stayed with the run but once there RB got knocked out they abandoned the run. Had they not done that they win. Also OM looked winded maybe it was the heat but some of there studs looked overweight and out if shape. Shit Tunsils jersey didn't even fit

War Machine Dawg
08-30-2013, 09:21 AM
The Bearz aren't a great team. Make no mistake, they've got some talented players. Their freshmens are legit, much as I hate to admit it. Tony Conner & Treadwell would both start for us. But their OL isn't that good and their D doesn't tackle very well. I also saw a team you can physically pound in the front 7 with a physical run game. Vandy was averaging 5 yards a pop running, but got pass happy late. And Wallace's arm makes Wes Carroll look like he had a rocket. He definitely isn't 100% over his shoulder injury and is still taking big shots. You can stack the box against them on D to stop their option. Just gotta make sure you contain Moncrief, Treadwell, and Logan in the screen/intermediate passing game. I don't think Wallace can hit anything deep.

quickstrike2
08-30-2013, 09:22 AM
I was impressed with their young guys. Treadwell looked very talented, i hope our freshman receiver show some signs as well.

Goat Holder
08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Defensive Line play and solid tackling on the edge is key to beating Ole Miss.

Thick
08-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes Vandy had 30 yd run, but OM had a 75 yd run. Vandy had over 400 yds of offense with 300 in the air. OM has no inside running game, and no way in HELL will Wallace make it through the season running the ball.

They are average on offense, and the better teams will reveal that much sooner then later. Remember this also, OM had to really just stop one WR and they could not do it. Teams with multiple options in the passing game are going to give them trouble. I just wasn't that impressed with them, but I also was not impressed with Vandy either.

The Lord Humongous
08-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Yes Vandy had 30 yd run, but OM had a 75 yd run. Vandy had over 400 yds of offense with 300 in the air. OM has no inside running game, and no way in HELL will Wallace make it through the season running the ball.

They are average on offense, and the better teams will reveal that much sooner then later. Remember this also, OM had to really just stop one WR and they could not do it. Teams with multiple options in the passing game are going to give them trouble. I just wasn't that impressed with them, but I also was not impressed with Vandy either.

As far as better teams, they've got Texas and Bama coming up pretty soon. We'll learn a lot there. Curious to see what Vandy looks like against somebody else. Just not impressed with UM's secondary. If they don't get Golson fully healthy soon it'll be a long year defending the pass and it may well be even when he is back to form.

bocfarm
08-30-2013, 02:29 PM
They both looked like JV teams compared to what I saw out of South Carolina

msstate7
08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
They both looked like JV teams compared to what I saw out of South Carolina

I agree. I thought USCe looked really good till they lost focus for a little while. I like USCe's rb's

bocfarm
08-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I just don't think Vandy is very good...looking forward to seeing both of those teams play someone better, both defenses looked suspect to me.

msstate7
08-30-2013, 02:43 PM
I just don't think Vandy is very good...looking forward to seeing both of those teams play someone better, both defenses looked suspect to me.

I don't know about down the road, but if USCe played either of those last night it would've been a bludgeoning. USCe much more physical

bocfarm
08-30-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't know about down the road, but if USCe played either of those last night it would've been a bludgeoning. USCe much more physical

No doubt

TUSK
08-30-2013, 03:04 PM
I was concerned that OM might be a "trap" game for Bama this year... after watching the game last night, I'm not as concerned. They have some really good pieces to build around (QB & WRs), but have some glaring holes (OL, and the Defense in general). I see them at 2-4 or 3-3 with a slight chance to win out after that provided they gel and find a Pass D...

Bama should rape them.

As far as better teams, they've got Texas and Bama coming up pretty soon. We'll learn a lot there. Curious to see what Vandy looks like against somebody else. Just not impressed with UM's secondary. If they don't get Golson fully healthy soon it'll be a long year defending the pass and it may well be even when he is back to form.

TUSK
08-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I was concerned that OM might be a "trap" game for Bama this year... after watching the game last night, I'm not as concerned. They have some really good pieces to build around (QB & WRs), but have some glaring holes (OL, and the Defense in general). I see them at 2-4 or 3-3 with a slight chance to win out after that provided they gel and find a Pass D...

Bama should rape them.

MemphisDawg
08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
IMO the way to beat OM is by passing. Again like a few others pointed out they held Vandy in check most of the night running. But their secondary may be one of the worse ones in the SEC.

The only thing that is scary about OM playing a stron team (Texas Lsu Bama) is that they have talent at key positions and they could easily all go off and have a perfect game and bring one of them down.

msstate7
08-30-2013, 04:27 PM
IMO the way to beat OM is by passing. Again like a few others pointed out they held Vandy in check most of the night running. But their secondary may be one of the worse ones in the SEC.

The only thing that is scary about OM playing a stron team (Texas Lsu Bama) is that they have talent at key positions and they could easily all go off and have a perfect game and bring one of them down.

Which team out of bama, lsu, and Texas can't match OM's talent at key positions?