PDA

View Full Version : On Matt Wyatt's Sunday recap

Hwy78dawg
09-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Today he said a couple of things that I guess are obvious but were still sobering for me somewhat. He stressed the talent gap between us and LSU (no big surprise) what brought it home was when he said (paraphrasing) this was no transition year, this was a rebuild for MSU, he said looking at 2 or more years to bridge the gap.

I am sure this is right, just hard to hear it from someone who you would think would be painting the most positive outlook possible for us.

I guess this matches up with all of the JUCOs we are on.

DogsofAnarchy
09-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Well if Dan and his damn Cronie John Hevesy would listen to anyone except their no it all selves then we wouldn't be in this shape. We should have been recruiting JC players before this year. But NOoooooo.....they always know better.

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2016, 11:09 PM
That's what happens when the head coach mentally bails on the program after being number 1. He completely checked out on recruiting.

What's going to be difficult for MSU fans though, is you have to compartmentalize it.

1. It's completely OK to be pissed at Mullen for his job whoring and checking out at MSU. You should be pissed, you should be angry, and you should let him hear about it non stop. It's unacceptable what he did.

2. Is this program better off with or without him and is he the right man to lead the rebuild?I think he is, but you have to get over being punishing him for the current predicament.

Jackie went through a similar situation in the mid 90s before going on a run. It's shame that this happened, but I'm willing to give a second chance because he truly is a good coach that knows how to win at MSU. He just got greedy

bluelightstar
09-18-2016, 11:18 PM
That's what happens when the head coach mentally bails on the program after being number 1. He completely checked out on recruiting.

What's going to be difficult for MSU fans though, is you have to compartmentalize it.

1. It's completely OK to be pissed at Mullen for his job whoring and checking out at MSU. You should be pissed, you should be angry, and you should let him hear about it non stop. It's unacceptable what he did.

2. Is this program better off with or without him and is he the right man to lead the rebuild?I think he is, but you have to get over being punishing him for the current predicament.

Jackie went through a similar situation in the mid 90s before going on a run. It's shame that this happened, but I'm willing to give a second chance because he truly is a good coach that knows how to win at MSU. He just got greedy

Well, if he's still hoping for a bigger job, he's going to have to double down on recruiting and coaching again because at this point, people think State was good because of Dak -- not him. The problem is that he's put this team in an awful position and we're looking at two straight losing seasons and I don't know how he turns that around. And I *really* don't think Mullen will be able to compete if LSU and Auburn upgrade their coaches. It's just really frustrating right now, but maybe having his back against the wall will be good for him.

BrunswickDawg
09-19-2016, 06:47 AM
I still think we end with 6 wins the next couple of years. We made it hard on ourselves this year with the USA bed shitting. AU and Kentucky are terrible and will be falling apart after a couple of more Ls.

I think the recruiting falling apart the last 2 years has a couple of factors people are ignoring. After 2013, with OM going All In, we started lossing in state kids we had been getting during Dan's tenure - a trend that has continued and we haven't matched. But, you have also seen us strike out on kids the last 2 years in Alabama and Louisiana we had been getting under Dan as well. Why? Because after 2014 Bama and LSU started paying closer attention to who we were recruiting in their states - to the point that they are also coming after in-state kids more aggressively (like Lashley) they might not have given a second look. Prior to 2014, how often did we go head to head with LSU or Bama on a recruit? Not often. Now look at how many we went head to head on last year. Simmons, AJ, Raekwon, Lashley, the lineman that LSU got. I really think Dan and Co were shocked by it and had no back up plans because those were kids we normally get. Now, not having back ups can be considered lazy, as can not working it to the end to make sure we had all of those guys tied up. But, it isn't just "lazy" recruiting at play, other teams are watching what we are doing and have adapted to Dan's recruiting. Now, can we adapt?

mic
09-19-2016, 07:30 AM
I still think we end with 6 wins the next couple of years. We made it hard on ourselves this year with the USA bed shitting. AU and Kentucky are terrible and will be falling apart after a couple of more Ls.

I think the recruiting falling apart the last 2 years has a couple of factors people are ignoring. After 2013, with OM going All In, we started lossing in state kids we had been getting during Dan's tenure - a trend that has continued and we haven't matched. But, you have also seen us strike out on kids the last 2 years in Alabama and Louisiana we had been getting under Dan as well. Why? Because after 2014 Bama and LSU started paying closer attention to who we were recruiting in their states - to the point that they are also coming after in-state kids more aggressively (like Lashley) they might not have given a second look. Prior to 2014, how often did we go head to head with LSU or Bama on a recruit? Not often. Now look at how many we went head to head on last year. Simmons, AJ, Raekwon, Lashley, the lineman that LSU got. I really think Dan and Co were shocked by it and had no back up plans because those were kids we normally get. Now, not having back ups can be considered lazy, as can not working it to the end to make sure we had all of those guys tied up. But, it isn't just "lazy" recruiting at play, other teams are watching what we are doing and have adapted to Dan's recruiting. Now, can we adapt?

#countryclubboys

mic
09-19-2016, 07:30 AM

#countryclubboys

thf24
09-19-2016, 08:24 AM

I agree with this. He's put himself in a good position to make a resurgence in recruiting with all the recruiting-oriented hires this offseason, mainly T-Buck, combined with the fact that OM should be crippled on the recruiting front starting with this cycle for the foreseeable future. He just has to decide that the grass isn't always greener and he does want to be here, and it wouldn't hurt to wake up to the fact that some of his stubborn beliefs are directly impeding our success and that some of his buddies on staff need to start being more than dead weight (let's be honest, Hev isn't going anywhere not of his own accord).

lamont
09-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Today he said a couple of things that I guess are obvious but were still sobering for me somewhat. He stressed the talent gap between us and LSU (no big surprise) what brought it home was when he said (paraphrasing) this was no transition year, this was a rebuild for MSU, he said looking at 2 or more years to bridge the gap.

I am sure this is right, just hard to hear it from someone who you would think would be painting the most positive outlook possible for us.

I guess this matches up with all of the JUCOs we are on.

Well, this can't be true. We need Liverpool to weigh in on this and tell us what Matt's agenda is

maroonmania
09-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Yep, we are in a situation totally created by Mullen and Staff due to their lack of putting any "relentless effort" into recruiting pretty much all of the last few years except for 2015. I am a season ticket holder but VERY apathetic about MSU football at the moment because we are playing against a stacked deck relative to most of the SEC just because of a sheer talent deficiency. IMO, that was NOT a good LSU team we lost to, even as talented as they are, yet for 57 minutes of the game we weren't even in it. We shouldn't be in the kind of struggle its going to be this year just to make 6 wins but that's where we are and at the moment, 4 to 5 wins is more likely than 6. Maybe Mullen is trying to turn it around now but its hard trying to compete in the SEC when it appears your HC is not "all in" with the program. And the sad part is that, like Wyatt says, its a slow process to recover from several years of poor recruiting. Not much reason to expect much more than 6 wins next year either unless we just have a QB where the light bulb really comes on and he can somehow carry the team. I mean even with all of the things we did poorly last Saturday night, if Fitz hits Gray on either of the times he was wide ass open going down the field for a TD we would likely have won the game.

BrunswickDawg
09-19-2016, 09:30 AM
#countryclubboys

Not denying that. I think that job complacency created it and caught our staff flat footed. The question is and will be can Dan change that?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Not denying that. I think that job complacency created it and caught our staff flat footed. The question is and will be can Dan change that?

He can start by actually hiring a RB coach instead of a WR's coach to coach RB's...after looking at Knox's resume it's no wonder he can't teach them to pick up pass protection. Hell, he's probably running the same practice drills he ran with Dixon his first year here.

maroonmania
09-19-2016, 09:42 AM

Only other thing I will add on your opening line is that poor recruiting effort didn't just start after we went to #1. Our 2013 class has turned out to be piss poor well before the 2014 #1 ranking ever came along. 2014 was pretty weak as well though.

mic
09-19-2016, 09:52 AM

We need new blood.. OL TE and RB coaches going on year 8...

dawgday166
09-19-2016, 10:30 AM
#countryclubboys

#relentlesseffort ... Applies to players only. Coaches are excluded from this requirement.

Dawgology
09-19-2016, 11:45 AM
It all comes down to recruiting. That's it.

When you lose elite athletes out of your back yard then you might as well prepare to get your ass kicked on the field. That is what is happening right now and what will continue to happen. If you can't keep your house in order then you can't do much of anything....and Starkville/West Point/ Columbus is our house. Our program is getting outworked for recruits. It's an easy fix we just have to commit as a program. Until that commitment by our program happens then this type of season will continue.

tireddawg
09-19-2016, 03:10 PM
It's not going to be an "easy fix". Very possible but not easy

gravedigger
09-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Well, this can't be true. We need Liverpool to weigh in on this and tell us what Matt's agenda is

Matt's agenda is that he's no better at talking about college football than any other poster on a random sportsboard.

Now, if you want the latest on the price of fishing equipment, or what he likes to eat you can get 3 hours of it weekdays. Don't worry about listening to Richard Cross either. He gets interrupted 2 seconds after he begins a sentence.

dawgwood
09-19-2016, 11:13 PM
**** Wyatt

Todd4State
09-19-2016, 11:24 PM
It all comes down to recruiting. That's it.

When you lose elite athletes out of your back yard then you might as well prepare to get your ass kicked on the field. That is what is happening right now and what will continue to happen. If you can't keep your house in order then you can't do much of anything....and Starkville/West Point/ Columbus is our house. Our program is getting outworked for recruits. It's an easy fix we just have to commit as a program. Until that commitment by our program happens then this type of season will continue.

You nailed it just like Memphis nailed Ole Miss's punter in your signature.

Todd4State
09-19-2016, 11:30 PM

My concern is I don't see much changing with Dan. Maybe he won't job whore because he's been told that if he does he will be gone. I just don't think he has ever placed the emphasis on recruiting that he needed to. Yes, Buckley, Peterson, and Austin is a step in the right direction but we're still basically recruiting with half of a staff because his friends are that bad at recruiting.

Maybe he will turn it around. To me right now it looks like we're in a rut where we go 6-6 every year and don't really beat anyone spectacular and I have to listen to people tell me we can't do any better. Which is worse in some ways because it just leads to more of the same- which in reality gets us further and further behind.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2016, 06:50 AM
My concern is I don't see much changing with Dan. Maybe he won't job whore because he's been told that if he does he will be gone. I just don't think he has ever placed the emphasis on recruiting that he needed to. Yes, Buckley, Peterson, and Austin is a step in the right direction but we're still basically recruiting with half of a staff because his friends are that bad at recruiting.

Maybe he will turn it around. To me right now it looks like we're in a rut where we go 6-6 every year and don't really beat anyone spectacular and I have to listen to people tell me we can't do any better. Which is worse in some ways because it just leads to more of the same- which in reality gets us further and further behind.
This is why I keep asking as a fan base would you rather stay with Dan to fall further down or at the end of the year rebuild with a new coach. People talk about Cut at OM well after he got Eli his recruiting dropped off tremendously and yes they hired O but he had recruited at a very high level and Nutt was able to capitalize on that. Biggest difference then than now is that MSU can pay top 25 money and we now have a top 25 football only facility.
Next 5 games will determine if Dan can turn it around should we be 6-2 with A & M coming to town the "narrative" changes. Drop any of the next five and 4 wins maybe our ceiling.

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 07:07 AM

Two stats stand out to me:
1) 3 - 20 against Saban, Miles, Freeze, and Sumlin
2) 4 - 29 against Ranked Teams (3 of those came in 2014. Only Smart, Odom, Mason, and Stoops are worse. Brett Bielema is 14 - 28.)

He's a top 15 or 16 paid coach and he's 4 - 29 against ranked teams?

He is like Muschamp to me. He's a grossly overpaid Coordinator (in Dan's case OC). He worked under Urban Meyer. EVERYONE does well under Urban it seems.

I don't see him ever really improving or progressing much in the following areas (since he hasn't in the 8 years he's been a HC):
1) Recruiting. I know it's not easy at State, but work harder at it will you. This is evidenced by the always very short offers list each year (with few 4 & 5 star players on it); Consistently strive to make the top 20 in recruiting. Also, please try to address needs and plan it out so that the cupboard isn't so "young" so many years in a row. It was last year, this year, and it will be next year too. This is really poor management of recruiting needs.
2) Game/Clock Management (How many games have we lost because of this). I'm convinced he's like a deer in the headlights at the end of a tight game.
3) Consistent game preparation and team motivation (I mean how do you come out so flat against LSU after the USA loss 2 weeks ago. That's not unusual for Dan tho; happens frequently, especially against ranked teams). This is another of those "How many games have we lost because of ..."
4) Doesn't seem to delegate, seems to micromanage a good bit. Especially his DCs. The coaches he really needs to micromanage, he doesn't.
5) Low emphasis on consistent special teams play.
6) Personnel management - I would like to understand why it takes SOOO long for our offensive players to develop.

These are things HCs do and not only does he not do them, when asked about them he is defiant about it. And these are the main reasons he is 4 - 29 against ranked teams. And I don't believe any of this is going to change.

Dawgface
09-20-2016, 07:17 AM

Not much else you can say. Overpaid for sure.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 07:26 AM

Not much else you can say. Overpaid for sure.

He's also the lowest paid coach in the sec west. Is he finishing last every year?

msstate7
09-20-2016, 07:30 AM
If the 4-29 vs ranked teams is correct, that would make him 52-8 vs unranked teams.

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 07:38 AM
He's also the lowest paid coach in the sec west. Is he finishing last every year?

4th - 6th except 2014. When you play KY every year in east and some other east team that is either down or Vandy, that's 2 auto wins. Then usually 1 or 2 west teams are train wrecks each year.

He's still way overpaid for what he has produced. How many times have we finished in top 25?

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 07:39 AM
If the 4-29 vs ranked teams is correct, that would make him 52-8 vs unranked teams.

Dan do usually beat up on bad teams. Although 8 times (like USA) he hasn't.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Actually that belongs to Bielama . Mullen is paid more

msstate7
09-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Actually that belongs to Bielama . Mullen is paid more

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/2016-sec-head-coaching-salaries/

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 08:24 AM
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

There are a lot of coaches Dan made more than last year that are head and shoulders better than he is as a HC. He made more than Dantonio, Dabo, Petrino, Helfrich, Rich Rod, Patterson, Pinkel (how many East championships does he have), Bill Snyder.

And according to this he made more than Bielema.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 08:31 AM
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

There are a lot of coaches Dan made more than last year that are head and shoulders better than he is as a HC. He made more than Dantonio, Dabo, Petrino, Helfrich, Rich Rod, Patterson, Pinkel (how many East championships does he have), Bill Snyder.

And according to this he made more than Bielema.

Bielema got an offseason raise and extension.

The sec west is like that neighborhood where maybe the houses aren't better, but they're sure as hell more expensive.

lamont
09-20-2016, 08:39 AM
We're talking just a couple hundred thousand between Mullen being last or in the middle of the pack in the West. It's not like he makes a million less than the guy just ahead.

We don't get certain coaches more because of Mullen's personality than about money

msstate7
09-20-2016, 08:45 AM
We're talking just a couple hundred thousand between Mullen being last or in the middle of the pack in the West. It's not like he makes a million less than the guy just ahead.

We don't get certain coaches more because of Mullen's personality than about money

But he does make less... so add that to us being last in assistant pay, recruiting budget, and overall football budget in the west and perhaps this isn't the easiest place in the country to win like we seem to believe here.

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 08:53 AM
But he does make less... so add that to us being last in assistant pay, recruiting budget, and overall football budget in the west and perhaps this isn't the easiest place in the country to win like we seem to believe here.

Every coach I mentioned above is paid less, their staffs are paid less, and their resources are less. That ain't a good argument. IMO, Dan shouldn't get a raise again till we finish in top 25 at least 2 years in a row. And the only staff members who "may" get a raise are the new ones on the D side of the ball.

lamont
09-20-2016, 08:56 AM

I bet if he wanted to expand his recruiting budget- we'd be more accommodating

msstate7
09-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Every coach I mentioned above is paid less, their staffs are paid less, and their resources are less. That ain't a good argument. IMO, Dan shouldn't get a raise again till we finish in top 25 at least 2 years in a row. And the only staff members who "may" get a raise are the new ones on the D side of the ball.

None of those coaches are in the sec west... can you not see the difference?

I'm not advocating for Dan to get a raise at all. I want to see more money spent on assistant pay (maybe we won't lose coaches every year) and recruiting budget.

I think if we as a fanbase want to demand more, we should give more of our money

Dawgfan77
09-20-2016, 09:03 AM
With incentives Mullen made damn near 5 mil

dawg27
09-20-2016, 09:03 AM

True but when as fans are we going to not be ok with winning 6 games, I thought 8 yrs in we would be saying lets compete but we still saying well we going to win 6 or 7 we are ok. I mean is winning 6 or 7 just ok with everbody.

Dawgface
09-20-2016, 09:05 AM

Perhaps if we give Mullen a couple of mil raise that 4-29 record will improve. ;)

msstate7
09-20-2016, 09:05 AM
With incentives Mullen made damn near 5 mil

Is he the only sec west coach to get incentives?

msstate7
09-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Perhaps if we give Mullen a couple of mil raise that 4-29 record will improve. ;)

Nah, but perhaps if we help him with better assistant pay, which leads to better assistants and more recruiting money

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 09:12 AM
None of those coaches are in the sec west... can you not see the difference?

I'm not advocating for Dan to get a raise at all. I want to see more money spent on assistant pay (maybe we won't lose coaches every year) and recruiting budget.

I think if we as a fanbase want to demand more, we should give more of our money

I might could but 4 - 29 is against ALL ranked teams. 3 - 20 is just flat out pathetic. Taking Saban out 3 - 13 is pathetic too. If it was more like 6 - 10 then I might feel just a little better maybe.

And, as I pointed out a few days back, going back to 11 game schedules Dan is a 5 win coach 3 or his 7 years.

As to assistant pay being cause for leaving, Collins went to FL for very little increase. DC aren't leaving just because of the pay. And the D side of the ball is where the attrition is happening.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 09:22 AM
I might could but 4 - 29 is against ALL ranked teams. 3 - 20 is just flat out pathetic. Taking Saban out 3 - 13 is pathetic too. If it was more like 6 - 10 then I might feel just a little better maybe.

And, as I pointed out a few days back, going back to 11 game schedules Dan is a 5 win coach 3 or his 7 years.

As to assistant pay being cause for leaving, Collins went to FL for very little increase. DC aren't leaving just because of the pay. And the D side of the ball is where the attrition is happening.

You get that I'm more patient with Mullen. I don't want to fire him right now. I get that you hate Mullen and want to fire him right now. There's no reason to re-hash this over-and-over. No matter how you feel about Mullen, he'll be here unless he does 3-9/2-10, so why not just quit trying to rally the fire Mullen crowd every day and just support him publically? It doesn't help our program at all to trash our HC every day, all day. If you hate him so much, call SS and tell him your feelings and offer 6 figures to make Mullen go away.

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 09:29 AM
You get that I'm more patient with Mullen. I don't want to fire him right now. I get that you hate Mullen and want to fire him right now. There's no reason to re-hash this over-and-over. No matter how you feel about Mullen, he'll be here unless he does 3-9/2-10, so why not just quit trying to rally the fire Mullen crowd every day and just support him publically? It doesn't help our program at all to trash our HC every day, all day. If you hate him so much, call SS and tell him your feelings and offer 6 figures to make Mullen go away.

I wouldn't say I hate him. He's brash and there is a lot of rhetoric that comes from him. He's not even trying to improve the things I've mentioned cause well ... he's Dan and he knows what he's doing. That is what I'm not a fan of. But you're right. Mine and your opinions are both fixed like they are. It will take an awful lot for me to jump back onto his band wagon. I've become a firm believer that as a HC he is out of his element. That's ok tho. Not everyone is meant to be one.

thunderclap
09-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Holloway up the middle for two yards.

Anybody expecting Mullen to change is SOL.

Todd4State
09-20-2016, 09:35 AM

I bet it will take more than six figures to make Dan go away. Unless you're talking about six figures in Yeezey's.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 09:36 AM
I bet it will take more than six figures to make Dan go away. Unless you're talking about six figures in Yeezey's.

It will definitely take more... point was voice the constant displeasure with SS and back it with funds.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-20-2016, 09:42 AM

I get it, but it's tough to ask people to buy in again when they all bought in 110% for him when he got here and then he apparently was looking for any chance to get out of Starkville which lead to some deficiencies in recruiting that we're seeing now. If he were to go on another run, who's to say the same thing won't happen again?

msstate7
09-20-2016, 09:55 AM
I get it, but it's tough to ask people to buy in again when they all bought in 110% for him when he got here and then he apparently was looking for any chance to get out of Starkville which lead to some deficiencies in recruiting that we're seeing now. If he were to go on another run, who's to say the same thing won't happen again?

Well both sides would be happy... pro-Mullen guys would be proven right that he isn't finished. Anti-Mullen would be happy to get rid of him

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 09:59 AM

I saw Mullen interviewed on the preseason SEC W Coaches round table or whatever it is. Something that stuck out to me was when they asked him what he did in the off-season. He said he took a trip through Europe and a couple of other things like that. He went on to say that it was really neat to get out of the southeast cause in other parts of the world everything doesn't revolve around SEC football.

In all honesty, I kinda liked his answer. That's all cool with me. I get that. I will say though that SEC football is what pays him 4 mill so he can do all of that. Please at least have teams show up ready to play some football when the games get going. Show up against teams like Bama and smack them in the mouth, even though you do lose. Don't just roll over and play dead for a half or more.

DancingRabbit
09-20-2016, 10:36 AM

I think a majority of those ranked teams he's played have been top 10. Not as many chances vs those 15-25. That's off the top of my head, but pretty sure I read that a while back.

Jackie's record vs ranked teams? It's 7-36. First seven years -- 3-22. Stolen from elsewhere, not my research.

Some of those epic wins by Jackie?
The two Texas wins - a 5-6 and a 6-5 Texas team
His two wins over LSU? a 5-6 team and a 3-8 team
Two of his 3 wins over Bama were against a 4-7 and a 7-5 team

I'm not thrilled with where things are right now, but I'll wait to see how the season shakes out.

Message board chatter is one thing, but please don't tear down Dan on twitter like some idiots out there and kill our recruiting class.

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 10:46 AM
I don't do Twitter. I look at Facebook very rarely and never post. Don't usually post on message boards much (I do way more reading). Usually when I do post it's because we have teams showing up to games repetitively (USA 2nd half; LSU 1st half) looking like they never played a down of football in their life (ok I'm exaggerating maybe just a smidge) *******

ETA: I'm not praising Jackie and think we can do better than both he and what Dan is currently doing. I am saying Dan is about the same ... so the "only coach to win 19 games in 2 seasons" isn't entirely accurate either. I believe Dan himself could do better if he were like Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, etc. in 1 area: Trying to improve himself as a HC.

DancingRabbit
09-20-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't do Twitter. I look at Facebook very rarely and never post. Don't usually post on message boards much (I do way more reading). Usually when I do post it's because we have teams showing up to games repetitively (USA 2nd half; LSU 1st half) looking like they never played a down of football in their life (ok I'm exaggerating maybe just a smidge) *******

That last part wasn't directed at you, just a general comment. Should have been more clear.

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 10:56 AM
We're cool. And I agree with you on that one too. I have been reluctant to post on here cause of that too.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-20-2016, 11:01 AM
I saw Mullen interviewed on the preseason SEC W Coaches round table or whatever it is. Something that stuck out to me was when they asked him what he did in the off-season. He said he took a trip through Europe and a couple of other things like that. He went on to say that it was really neat to get out of the southeast cause in other parts of the world everything doesn't revolve around SEC football.

In all honesty, I kinda liked his answer. That's all cool with me. I get that. I will say though that SEC football is what pays him 4 mill so he can do all of that. Please at least have teams show up ready to play some football when the games get going. Show up against teams like Bama and smack them in the mouth, even though you do lose. Don't just roll over and play dead for a half or more.

Did any of the other SEC coaches say something similar? I'd bet that they didn't say it out loud even if they felt that way. It sounds like he's tiring of the grind that is SEC football...

That's sums up a lot of this team's problems...distractions. Whether it's training for a marathon, shopping for new jobs, baby mama drama, or just petty BS we seem to have too many distractions.

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Did any of the other SEC coaches say something similar? I'd bet that they didn't say it out loud even if they felt that way. It sounds like he's tiring of the grind that is SEC football...

That's sums up a lot of this team's problems...distractions. Whether it's training for a marathon, shopping for new jobs, baby mama drama, or just petty BS we seem to have too many distractions.

The only one I remember is Saban talking about doing some water skiing. If I recall correctly it did seem out of place with the other coaches responses.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 11:19 AM
We're cool. And I agree with you on that one too. I have been reluctant to post on here cause of that too.

I'd hate to see you tell us what you really think then... you bash Mullen more than Saban does haha

dawgday166
09-20-2016, 11:25 AM
I'd hate to see you tell us what you really think then... you bash Mullen more than Saban does haha

Well ... I was quiet for a long time. Everyone keeps saying "19 wins in 2 years and a bowl game every year". Hell ... every college team makes a bowl these days (ok I'm exaggerating just a smidge again) *****

I'm for letting Mullen play out this year. I really don't expect us to get much better ever than his average years tho. "Relentless effort and strain" seem to be missing throughout the entire football complex, near as I can tell.