PDA

View Full Version : A thought on RB's

somebodyshotmypaw
09-18-2016, 10:57 PM
I played RB through high school and had an opportunity to run the ball for some Division III teams, but chose MSU and academics instead. So while not an expert, I do know some about the position. In 4th grade pee wee football, I was taught to carry the ball in my outside arm. I loved it because the inside arm was free to shield against the defender. Did y'all notice Fournette's stiff arm against Bryant? So why do our RB's sweep to the left with the ball in the wrong arm? Holloway does it. Aeris does it (remember fumble against A&M). It's poor fundamentals and I can't believe we don't correct it. It's terrible that a middle school coach didn't fix it when they were 12. They can't use a stiff arm because they have the ball in the wrong damn arm.

This is some of the problem that our coaches face. Poor fundamentals. Kids are coming to college with bad habits that should have been solved in 7th grade. Middle school and high school coaches have to do better than this on basic blocking, tackling, catching, carrying the ball, etc. That is one reason that guys struggle to play early from Mississippi at some positions.

Aeris carries it in his right arm regardless. It is terrible. Pass blocking amongst offensive lineman is another skill that is lacking at the high school level.