PDA

View Full Version : Opinion

Rick Danko
08-30-2013, 07:37 AM
I know this is a MS State board but just wanted your opinions on this matter. Talked to a friend this morning, he asked me my opinion of the game and what I thought. I explained I thought Ole Miss had talent but were young, and Vandy gave them the game. Too many missed oppurtunities for turnovers and then playing too timid at the end cost them the game. When asked what my opinion was of the two teams, I stated both are in the bottom half of the league, probably bottom third.

He then tells me he talked to his buddy this morning (Ole Miss fan) and asked him his opinion. To paraphrase what he said, "That was 2 great teams and it came down to the wire, but the better team won out. I expect both in a bowl game this year."

Now don't get me wrong, the last part of the statement is most likely true, but to call that display 2 great teams, am I missing something here. Maybe it is my maroon glasses, but they both looked the part of mediocre football teams.

What are some of your opinions.

msstate7
08-30-2013, 07:41 AM
If he thought vandy was good, wait till 5 straight teams hang 40 on them starting in 2 weeks

smootness
08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
We won't really know until we get later into the season. Maybe Vandy's defense really is as good as we saw in the first half. Maybe Ole Miss' running game just finally came alive at the end. Or maybe they both have serious flaws.

The bottom line is, I hope we stop talking about Ole Miss so much. I know it's never going to happen realistically, but it gets so old worrying about them all the time. Who cares if they put a good team on the field? That doesn't impact us in any way. It's been shown through time that in-state recruiting will be a war no matter what; we just need to keep doing what we're doing and worry about us. I think we have a chance to have a very good team this year; if Ole Miss has a very good team, ok; if they don't, ok. But it really doesn't affect us outside of one game in November.

hacker
08-30-2013, 07:46 AM
We won't really know until we get later into the season. Maybe Vandy's defense really is as good as we saw in the first half. Maybe Ole Miss' running game just finally came alive at the end. Or maybe they both have serious flaws.

The bottom line is, I hope we stop talking about Ole Miss so much. I know it's never going to happen realistically, but it gets so old worrying about them all the time. Who cares if they put a good team on the field? That doesn't impact us in any way. It's been shown through time that in-state recruiting will be a war no matter what; we just need to keep doing what we're doing and worry about us. I think we have a chance to have a very good team this year; if Ole Miss has a very good team, ok; if they don't, ok. But it really doesn't affect us outside of one game in November.

I dunno about you, but for me, the rivalry makes it so that the second most exciting game every week is the Ole Miss game. I cheer them losing almost as avidly as us winning. I don't know where that mindset came from, but that's why I care about what Ole Miss is doing.

msstate7
08-30-2013, 07:52 AM
I dunno about you, but for me, the rivalry makes it so that the second most exciting game every week is the Ole Miss game. I cheer them losing almost as avidly as us winning. I don't know where that mindset came from, but that's why I care about what Ole Miss is doing.

Me too. Trust me their fans are huge okla st fans also.

Rick Danko
08-30-2013, 07:54 AM

Fair enough, it is wrong to talk about them. But bottom line, you could not be more wrong with that statement. 8 hours ago they played a ballgame on national TV and won in the closing minutes with the announcers drooling over them from the time the telecast started. You can live in a bubble of not thinking this affects us, but this is our in state rival that we go head to head recruiting with on 75% (total guess) of our players and hype/namebrand matters. What happened last night, if repeated very often, will affect us tremendously.

That said, back to the original question, I think they both are not very good and I hope to hell I see what I want to see Saturday to reinforce my opinion that we beat them in November. As of right now, I still believe that happens without a doubt.

smootness
08-30-2013, 08:10 AM
You can live in a bubble of not thinking this affects us, but this is our in state rival that we go head to head recruiting with on 75% (total guess) of our players and hype/namebrand matters.

It doesn't matter nearly as much in Mississippi. The most important thing for our in-state recruiting is relationships, and Mullen was smart enough to go about building those the second he was hired. Obviously it helps us if we keep winning, but my point is that as long as we do that, we're going to do well inside the state. Ole Miss will always get their share, and we will always get our share.

I just get so sick of hearing about them. We have our first game tomorrow, in a very big, nationally televised venue, and all we can talk about is how lucky Ole Miss is to have won last night.

Yeah, that was a crazy game. Yes, I wish they had lost. But it just doesn't affect us all that much that they beat Vandy.

smootness
08-30-2013, 08:11 AM
I dunno about you, but for me, the rivalry makes it so that the second most exciting game every week is the Ole Miss game.

Then you and I just differ. For instance, to me, by far the second most exciting game this week is UGA/Clemson.

I did go to UGA, but that has nothing to do with it; I'm not a UGA fan and never have been. But that is a big game nationally with two teams that should be fun to watch. I have interest in what Ole Miss is doing, but not to the extent that I watch their games every week.

Todd4State
08-30-2013, 08:18 AM
It doesn't matter nearly as much in Mississippi. The most important thing for our in-state recruiting is relationships, and Mullen was smart enough to go about building those the second he was hired. Obviously it helps us if we keep winning, but my point is that as long as we do that, we're going to do well inside the state. Ole Miss will always get their share, and we will always get our share.

I just get so sick of hearing about them. We have our first game tomorrow, in a very big, nationally televised venue, and all we can talk about is how lucky Ole Miss is to have won last night.

Yeah, that was a crazy game. Yes, I wish they had lost. But it just doesn't affect us all that much that they beat Vandy.

If Ole Miss is down, it's easier for us. It's as simple as that. It does affect us- at the very least somewhat. The same is true for Ole Miss. That's why whenever we have any shred of momentum and a decent class, they try to get us on probation.

Had Ole Miss lost last night, I think their momentum is probably gone- staring at Texas, at Alabama, etc. right down the road in the near future.

Yes, we do have to worry about ourselves and with a good showing against Oklahoma State, we will probably feel as good if not better about our team. But to act like they don't matter at all- well, ask Houston Nutt where it gets you.

smootness
08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
I realize we will talk about them, and I do, too. It's just that there are clearly times among our fanbase when we seem far more concerned about them than we do our own program, which makes no sense to me.

6 of the top 7 threads on this board right now are about Ole Miss directly, and the other is a generic thread about one of the announcers from the Ole Miss game last night. Yes, they played last night so it's fresh on everyone's mind. But our game is tomorrow, and I think it would be far better in a lot of ways to focus more on us.

biscuit
08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
why the ole miss love? **** em

Coach34
08-30-2013, 08:33 AM

This is me also.

Dawgfan77
08-30-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't get the love for the bears. I thought Vandy was bad and undersized. Robert was not a game changer has no moves just bull rushed all night. Poor tacklers on the bear defense Paidwell looks the part but shit they were just dinking the ball to him with the db's giving him 6 to 8 yd cushion. My opinion vandy is a 4 to 5 win team Rebs are a 5 to 6 win team. A pysical team will beat them up and down the field. I just don't get how everyone is loving this team. They are far from a contender

War Machine Dawg
08-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Vandy isn't as good as last season. Their QB and D are hot garbage. Especially their QB.

Johnson85
08-30-2013, 09:30 AM
I realize we will talk about them, and I do, too. It's just that there are clearly times among our fanbase when we seem far more concerned about them than we do our own program, which makes no sense to me.

There are a handful of games to talk about right now. I worked through the interesting parts of the USCe game, but even if I hadn't, there doesn't seem to be that much to talk about from that game. We knew USCe was going to be good and be better than UNC. UM versus Vandy was a good game between evenly matched SEC teams that are going to be fighting to get into bowl games. The UM talk gets annoying at times, but what else can really be said about our game at this point?

dparker
08-30-2013, 09:39 AM
The bottom line is, I hope we stop talking about Ole Miss so much. I know it's never going to happen realistically, but it gets so old worrying about them all the time.

+ infinity

Delta
08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I think it is hard to judge OM and Vandy based on this game alone. The only thing that we know is that they are pretty evenly matched. They could both be good, fair, or terrible. Until they face a couple of teams, they can only be compared relative to each other.

cheewgumm
08-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Ole Miss looked really good to me. And I think they will get better.

We gotta figure out their offense...simple as that. Though not so simple.

Coach34
08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Ole Miss looked really good to me. And I think they will get better.

We gotta figure out their offense...simple as that. Though not so simple.

To disrupt their offense- your DL has to whip their OL's ass and play assignment football.

RougeDawg
08-30-2013, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't shed a tear if those lucky, stuck up pricks lost every game until the day I die. They talk shit when they suck, and they really talk shit when they reach the 6 win plateau. I cannot stand even setting foot in that town. What they do effects what we do and vice versa. If you cannot see this, I suggest you schedule an optometrist visit very soon.

Strange thing is that we aren't the only fan base who feels this way about them. Living in New Orleans I come across just about every SEC fan base, and they all have the same opinion and hatred for OM. You still have the AU/Bama, AU/UGA, Bama/UT, LSU/Bama hate, but they all hate OM in common. I think this is very telling on what type of people they are. Not all of them, but most are stuck up, better than you, arrogant pricks. They never admit anything negative even when its staring them in the face. I never heard a State fan talking shit during the dark years of Croom. Talk to an OM fan after a 4/2 win season, you'd think they had 65 NFL draft picks and just picked up their 18th consecutive BCS crystal ball. Both exaggerations, but you get my point. They have a reputation and one that I'm glad I'm not a part of.

DawgInMemphis
08-30-2013, 10:05 AM
I thought UM looked OK. I was surprised Wallace ran as much as he did. By the time November rolls around he will likely be banged up pretty good if that continues. Treadwell was by far the most impressive of their "star" freshmen. Tunsil played well too. RK has a pretty good motor, but looked very raw to me. He will be a good player for them by seasons end, but the fact that he is starting right now (and playing all over the line) makes me think that their depth on the DL is poor. Their run defense looked average at best... a power run game will soften them up big time. I didn't see anything from UM last night that makes me think they'll beat us this year. If you stay disciplined and stick to your defensive assignment versus the read option you can have success against it, but you really need to get good play out of the D-line to shut it down. They looked like they had problems when Vandy rushed 5 or more. Looking at their schedule I see them rolling into Starkville with 5 wins - Vandy, SEMO, Idaho, Troy, and one of Arkansas and Mizzou. I don't think they can win @ Auburn, and wins over aTm, LSU, Bama, or Texas sure don't seem likely.

Gadzooks I am excited about tomorrow. I look forward to seeing the changes in our coaching philosophy and how that affects our play on the field. We have very good talent and depth. I really want to see our guys play fast and physical. Here's to hoping we set the tone for the season with a physical W tomorrow.

Hail State!

Bubb Rubb
08-30-2013, 10:18 AM

6 of the top 7 threads on this board right now are about Ole Miss directly, and the other is a generic thread about one of the announcers from the Ole Miss game last night. Yes, they played last night so it's fresh on everyone's mind. But our game is tomorrow, and I think it would be far better in a lot of ways to focus more on us.

There are so many threads because they just played last night. On national TV. With no competing games on other channels. And it was the first game of the year. What else are we going to talk about, uniforms aGAIN? We've been talking about tomorrow's game for three months. Not a lot to talk about there. When our game kicks off, there will be nary a mention of Ole Miss for a period of time.

DawgInMemphis
08-30-2013, 10:20 AM
There are so many threads because they just played last night. On national TV. With no competing games on other channels. And it was the first game of the year. What else are we going to talk about, uniforms aGAIN? We've been talking about tomorrow's game for three months. Not a lot to talk about there. When our game kicks off, there will be nary a mention of Ole Miss for a period of time.

Shout out to Lil Sis.

Political Hack
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
I do not like ole miss by damn. I do not like them Sam I Am.

Pollodawg
08-30-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't give a shit if they never win again to be honest. Last night was entertaining, but all I saw was two average teams with two mediocre QBs and bad defenses.

Maroon Diapers
08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
When Vandy wasn't blitzing, their D played alot like ours last year. Give up the 5-10 yard pass all the way down the damn field. Treadwell did make a couple of nice catches but most of his yards came when the coverage played 10 yards him and Wallace slung it out to him for an easy gain. If we do that shit tomorrow, it's gonna be a long damn day/season. There is no way to categorize either team that played last night as 'great'.

codeDawg
08-30-2013, 01:10 PM
I know this is a MS State board but just wanted your opinions on this matter. Talked to a friend this morning, he asked me my opinion of the game and what I thought. I explained I thought Ole Miss had talent but were young, and Vandy gave them the game. Too many missed oppurtunities for turnovers and then playing too timid at the end cost them the game. When asked what my opinion was of the two teams, I stated both are in the bottom half of the league, probably bottom third.

He then tells me he talked to his buddy this morning (Ole Miss fan) and asked him his opinion. To paraphrase what he said, "That was 2 great teams and it came down to the wire, but the better team won out. I expect both in a bowl game this year."

Now don't get me wrong, the last part of the statement is most likely true, but to call that display 2 great teams, am I missing something here. Maybe it is my maroon glasses, but they both looked the part of mediocre football teams.

What are some of your opinions.

What makes it different this year is that for the first time in almost two decades both teams won't suck ass at the same time. Usually one team is better at the other's expense and it makes it easier for one team to gloat a little, and the other team to chalk it up to some factor coaching / talent / probation, whatever. Everybody has their place. It switches up in a couple of years, and life goes on.

We have both teams making strides right now. It's going to get testy. The competition is either going to make both teams better, or put somebody on probation. I hope its them and not us.

gravedigger
08-30-2013, 02:03 PM
I just dont see what you saw. I didnt see a terrible OM team like year before last, but I did see a team that had enough talent to play better than they did. Wallace's arm looked exactly as described prior to the season. He was accurate at times, and sometimes not, but he never looked sharp. His runs were good though.

smootness
08-30-2013, 02:23 PM
The competition is either going to make both teams better, or put somebody on probation. I hope its them and not us.

Well, we're on probation.

codeDawg
08-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Well, we're on probation.

well... shit. there goes that.

Bothrops
08-30-2013, 05:15 PM
OM will get better. They aren't going to be overly impressive on either side of the line of scrimmage, but they will be good enough to run their style of offense. After they get battered around in Sept and Oct, they will be better prepared for everyone else afterward, at least, expectation wise. Their wide receiving corps will only improve and that will get them bowl eligible, if Wallace stays healthy. But Wallace may not, and if he does what he did last night in the coming weeks, he'll get hurt.

They are wafer thin on the D-line and their O-line isn't very good for traditional SEC play. I think Nkemdiche will be a down lineman, or DE/DT, next year. He's very strong and hits the tackle hard, but I don't think he has the length to be a true DE. Too compact, I think he goes inside. Treadwell is a game changer and could steal all the light from Moncrief, but I think both will be stars for them, down the stretch. Ole Miss is a finesse team, and will live and die by it. I don't expect Wallace to be 100 percent healthy by Nov. That helps us.

Saltydog
08-30-2013, 05:39 PM
I said the same thing this morning to some UM comrades of mine bout Nkemdiche and they came unglued. Yes, he had the 4th down conversion on the fake punt and made another tackle or two but Superman he was NOT. Is he going to be good, why yes of course he is but at this point he's FAR more hype than substance.

Bothrops
08-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Reality has always teased them. What I saw last night was a Vandy OT handle and contain #5 with success. He may be a great player down the road, but is he the #1 2013 recruit in reality? I wouldn't bet on it.

I seen it dawg
08-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Both of those teams last night were dogshit.

hacker
08-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Reality has always teased them. What I saw last night was a Vandy OT handle and contain #5 with success. He may be a great player down the road, but is he the #1 2013 recruit in reality? I wouldn't bet on it.

Ah, yes, it's fair to judge a true freshman by their performance in their first collegiate game.

Schultzy
08-31-2013, 06:33 AM
I thought UM looked OK. I was surprised Wallace ran as much as he did. By the time November rolls around he will likely be banged up pretty good if that continues. Treadwell was by far the most impressive of their "star" freshmen. Tunsil played well too. RK has a pretty good motor, but looked very raw to me. He will be a good player for them by seasons end, but the fact that he is starting right now (and playing all over the line) makes me think that their depth on the DL is poor. Their run defense looked average at best... a power run game will soften them up big time. I didn't see anything from UM last night that makes me think they'll beat us this year. If you stay disciplined and stick to your defensive assignment versus the read option you can have success against it, but you really need to get good play out of the D-line to shut it down. They looked like they had problems when Vandy rushed 5 or more. Looking at their schedule I see them rolling into Starkville with 5 wins - Vandy, SEMO, Idaho, Troy, and one of Arkansas and Mizzou. I don't think they can win @ Auburn, and wins over aTm, LSU, Bama, or Texas sure don't seem likely.

Gadzooks I am excited about tomorrow. I look forward to seeing the changes in our coaching philosophy and how that affects our play on the field. We have very good talent and depth. I really want to see our guys play fast and physical. Here's to hoping we set the tone for the season with a physical W tomorrow.

Hail State!

Gadzooks has been called! Just kidding I'm ready for this game too. A lot of people think we're gonna get boat raced, I don't.
This team will play like it has something to prove after the way last season ended. I want to win this game and also have a good season bad because this a likeable group and they have the depth to do it.