PDA

View Full Version : The mentality of some of our fans

Dawgfan77
09-18-2016, 03:04 PM
You know what pisses me off. Fans that are ok with losing! I have read on here and other boards about how we hung together and we were tough and we should be happy. Let me say something about that. WE ARE 1-2 WITH A LOSS to a 1-2 sun belt team!!!!! And another item it's F 'ing year 8!!! You so called fans that accept losing is why thunder Dan doesn't give a SH!T. Why would he? Win a few games go to a bowl game and they will love me.... We should NEVER be happy about a loss!!!! That is utterly stupid and you "fans" that are happy we kept it close or golly gee we will getem next time are the main culprits on why we are looked down on by other sec fans. You people don't want to win!!!

Wake up! Dan and staff Have not recruited in two years and now he is loading up on JUCOs. Coincidence? I think not. Wrap your head around the fact we offered the entire Co-Lin DL and a safety! In year 8!!!!. We have issues folks

Thunder Dan will not play his more talented younger players. Why? Cause he coaches scared. Scared that a RB will fumble, scared a QB will throw an int, scared we miss a tackle or block. He coaches not to lose. I want a coach that plays the better players regardless of class. Play the more talented younger players. Let them learn from mistakes

Now let me say that I appreciate what Dan has done, but the time comes when we will have to part ways. Dan is so set in his ways and such a smug ass he thinks he is so much smarter than any of us, and it's our fans that allow it. Holloway up the middle every single time. GTOH... I want a coach that has his players playing like their damn hair is on fire and young players want to come here to play hard and win!!!

In closing I want our fans to not accept losing not accept not recruiting not accept playing LSU close. People that are happy with a loss make me sick. Are you happy with a loss in your job??? Hell no! We should expect and demand more. So STOP being happy with a loss.
It's time for thunder Dan and Hev to hit the road.

Todd4State
09-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Well we're 1-2.

Dawgfan77
09-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Good catch

Maroonthirteen
09-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Happy with a close loss to LSU doesn't equal happy with the loss to USA.
Saying Mullen doesn't care is dumb. I quit reading at that.

msstate7
09-18-2016, 03:27 PM
If we fire every coach after a loss, gonna need to upgrade our secret buyout trust

Dawgfan77
09-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Question. Are you ok with the loss?

BB30
09-18-2016, 03:28 PM
The fact that fans bother you this much might point to an underlying issue you need to get checked out**

Dawgfan77
09-18-2016, 03:30 PM
If we fire every coach after a loss, gonna need to upgrade our secret buyout trust

Would you rather stay the course with Mullen and risk falling further down or rebuild with another coach

The buyout is not an issue

msstate7
09-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Would you rather stay the course with Mullen and risk falling further down or rebuild with another coach

I'd rather he finish the year and evaluate then

oldwave
09-18-2016, 03:32 PM
I feel like I'm in a third group that you don't describe. I'm never happy with a loss and not satisfied with playing folks close. At the same time I have been watching State games for about 50 years. I also know that we are in fact historically the SEC program with the worst winning percentage.
Do I wish for SEC and National championships, hail yes. But am I going to fail to enjoy the best of times I have seen over the last 50 years, hail no. Please forgive old farts like me for wanting more but also for enjoying a lot of what we see as opposed to all we have seen with our own eyes.

msstate7
09-18-2016, 03:34 PM
I feel like I'm in a third group that you don't describe. I'm never happy with a loss and not satisfied with playing folks close. At the same time I have been watching State games for about 50 years. I also know that we are in fact historically the SEC program with the worst winning percentage.
Do I wish for SEC and National championships, hail yes. But am I going to fail to enjoy the best of times I have seen over the last 50 years, hail no. Please forgive old farts like me for wanting more but also for enjoying a lot of what we see as opposed to all we have seen with our own eyes.

Look oldtimer, the only thing holding us back from top 10 recruiting classes, sec championships, and a natty every 3-4 years is Dan Mullen and hevesy!**

Maroonthirteen
09-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Question. Are you ok with the loss?

USA? No. That was inexcusable. Mullen owened it though.

LSU? I'm not happy but....not ready to fire everyone.

Oldwave put it well.

Tripp McNeely
09-18-2016, 04:12 PM

Why is "falling further down" the only option? Between the 15-17 recruiting classes, it's likely that this turns out to be nothing more than a rebuilding year

I_Spy
09-18-2016, 04:18 PM
I thought Damian should start bc he had experience in pressure games. Once LSU slowed a bit defensively then bring in Fitz but you never can tell.

We aren't far from being 3-0 ...even with all this so that's telling.

MarketingBully
09-18-2016, 04:25 PM
That USA team may go 1-11 with us as the one win. They were bad. I don't care how much Mullen owns it. IMO, the only way he makes up for that loss is to beat Bama or beat someone he shouldn't that is a top 10 top 5 team.

AROB44
09-18-2016, 04:28 PM
I remember the days I got that upset at losing......I survived those years thankfully. Still don't like losing, but don't go apes**t anymore. Life is much better that way. I am in to the game when it is played, but when it's over....it's over. Going nuts doesn't change anything. The year will play out and then decisions will be made. Thankfully I am not one of the deciders and no one on this board is either.

DownwardDawg
09-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Why is "falling further down" the only option? Between the 15-17 recruiting classes, it's likely that this turns out to be nothing more than a rebuilding year

I'm really hoping this is the case.

Bothrops
09-18-2016, 04:40 PM

Not to mention, will need a shit load of coaches.

yjnkdawg
09-18-2016, 05:05 PM

If Mullen was fired now, please tell the board who the next head football coach at MSU would be? No known coach would want to take the job, after what Mullen has accomplished here and then him be fired mid season. I guess you didn't experience the lean years prior to Jackie, either?

oldtrickdawg
09-18-2016, 09:04 PM
State and schools like us are where coaches come to kill their careers..The best years ,for me, were those when Mr. Tyler and Mr. Sherril were with us...The chaos generated with a coaching change guarantees at least two ,maybe three, losing seasons in a row...New coaches don't usually win with other coaches' recruits; multiple reasons not the least of which is credit to the previous coach..You may feel our fans are complacent but an analogy I might give you is the guy who has a canteen of potable but old,somewhat dirty water . This guy can have clean,freah water if he crosses the mine field immediately in front of him...Is it worth it in the short run ? Perhaps , but he knows he can drink the water he has with just a little risk while the mine field is fairly terminal...All coaches struggle with play calling; the big dog schools have an abundance of quality players and the occasional phantom call to protect them.We ,on the other hand, have almost always been a one misque and we're behind the eight ball kind of program so our coaching mistakes are magnified...Now, I suspect almost everyone is unhappy we lost the first game but ,in spite of the coaching, Mr. Mullen did not miss a chip shot field goal for the win...execution,execution,execution....I am also no hanging the loss on the missed field goal just adding some perspective...

Sacrifice
09-18-2016, 09:24 PM
Serious question, Mullen has finished better than 4th place IN THE WEST one time in 7 years. Not the SEC, I'm talking the Western division. How much longer should we give him?

Quaoarsking
09-18-2016, 09:47 PM
SEC games only:

Coach
Years as Coach
Years ≥ .500
%

Darrell Royal
100.0%

Allyn McKeen
88.9%

Dan Mullen
57.1%

Jackie Sherrill
53.8%

Murray Warmath
50.0%

Bob Tyler
33.3%

Emory Bellard
28.6%

Sylvester Croom
20.0%

Paul Davis
20.0%

Wade Walker
16.7%

Arthur "Slick" Morton
0.0%

Charles Shira
0.0%

Rockey Felker
0.0%

TrapGame
09-18-2016, 09:57 PM
If Mullen loses 5 games or less and still pimps himself out to another program then he should be fired. If there are no rumors of Mullen looking for another job and he's hitting the recruiting trail like a man on a mission then he gets another year.

bayoubengal014
09-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Maybe you're not ringing your cowbell loud enough bro!!!! I'm sure there's a class at state on how to ring it louder!!!

Really Clark?
09-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Serious question, Mullen has finished better than 4th place IN THE WEST one time in 7 years. Not the SEC, I'm talking the Western division. How much longer should we give him?

The only thing about the SEC west that you have to consider is the fact that for multiple years you are talking about the toughest division in college football history. And you have had nearly every national champion or runner up come from this division since Mullen has been here. You have to include that in the overall comparisons. If we were in the east, besides the first year we probably would have finished better than 4th nearly every year. Possibly with a berth to Atlanta thrown in. Maybe 2.

Dawgfan77
09-19-2016, 06:03 AM

That 15-17 class is top heavy and does nothing to fill the gaps left by the 14 and 16 classes. What if these JUCOs don't pan out? Anoyher questions. How do you follow up the 14 season with a lackluster recruiting class? By shopping your name in December and January instead of recruiting. I agree he should finish out this year but if we don't make a change we are looking delaying the inevitable. I would rather go through a rebuilding project with the talent we do have then wait for Mullen to run the program further down. We only have around 76 scholarship players before walk ons, he has mismanaged the roster and close recruiting with a thud last year

Dawgfan77
09-19-2016, 06:08 AM
If Mullen was fired now, please tell the board who the next head football coach at MSU would be? No known coach would want to take the job, after what Mullen has accomplished here and then him be fired mid season. I guess you didn't experience the lean years prior to Jackie, either?
That's being very short sided. How about the fact we can pay 3 to 4 million a year. Or the fact in year 8 you know you lose to USA. We gave the guy 8 years not like we only have him 5... Croom was SEC coach of the year in 07. Fired in 08. We are not old msu we can win and we can pay.

lamont
09-19-2016, 06:28 AM
State and schools like us are where coaches come to kill their careers..The best years ,for me, were those when Mr. Tyler and Mr. Sherril were with us...The chaos generated with a coaching change guarantees at least two ,maybe three, losing seasons in a row...New coaches don't usually win with other coaches' recruits; multiple reasons not the least of which is credit to the previous coach..

Mullen had one losing season when he took over
Malzahn played for the NC his 1st year
Miles won 9 or 10 his 1st year
Saban went 6-6 his 1st year
Mcilwain won the East his 1st year

I could go on- but what you said just isn't true

dawgday166
09-19-2016, 06:32 AM

Ole Croom was pretty sorry to leave the cupboard so bare *** Not saying he was a good coach, but his recruiting got better every year. 2010 was Mullen's best team until 2014. If he had of had someone like Dak that year, probably would've beaten AU and maybe won a Natty.

ETA: If Mullen were to leave after this year the cupboard would be more bare.

DudyDawg
09-19-2016, 08:17 AM
That USA team may go 1-11 with us as the one win. They were bad. I don't care how much Mullen owns it. IMO, the only way he makes up for that loss is to beat Bama or beat someone he shouldn't that is a top 10 top 5 team.

Somehow someway he will crush ole miss and make me completely unsure how I feel about him and start this whole song and dance again. Classic

BB30
09-19-2016, 08:26 AM

And ironically what do those schools have in common. UF, Alabama, and LSU. Apples to oranges when you make that comparison. Also, that was basically Malzahn's team that he took over. Everyone knew they had a lot of talent but they tried to switch to a Pro when Malzahn left. Malzahn comes back reinstalls his offense and they roll with it.

ILOATHEBears
09-19-2016, 09:06 AM
State and schools like us are where coaches come to kill their careers..The best years ,for me, were those when Mr. Tyler and Mr. Sherril were with us...The chaos generated with a coaching change guarantees at least two ,maybe three, losing seasons in a row...New coaches don't usually win with other coaches' recruits; multiple reasons not the least of which is credit to the previous coach..You may feel our fans are complacent but an analogy I might give you is the guy who has a canteen of potable but old,somewhat dirty water . This guy can have clean,freah water if he crosses the mine field immediately in front of him...Is it worth it in the short run ? Perhaps , but he knows he can drink the water he has with just a little risk while the mine field is fairly terminal...All coaches struggle with play calling; the big dog schools have an abundance of quality players and the occasional phantom call to protect them.We ,on the other hand, have almost always been a one misque and we're behind the eight ball kind of program so our coaching mistakes are magnified...Now, I suspect almost everyone is unhappy we lost the first game but ,in spite of the coaching, Mr. Mullen did not miss a chip shot field goal for the win...execution,execution,execution....I am also no hanging the loss on the missed field goal just adding some perspective...

I just want a win like Louisville got over FSU. We have better or in par talent but can't seem to take another step forward and beat a top 5 program. That's coaching. Maybe we need a more simplified scheme. Hell it seems atleast 3-4 times a game OM has receivers running wide open no defender within 10 yards, all our routes stay jumbled together and it's easier for the defense and hard to make YAC for the offense.

sleepy dawg
09-19-2016, 09:10 AM
I heard Dan was actually working for Ole Miss, and the plan all along was to get us ranked to #1, then fall way back to hurt our fans as much as possible.

Dawgtini
09-19-2016, 10:23 AM

+1

Dawgtini
09-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Look oldtimer, the only thing holding us back from top 10 recruiting classes, sec championships, and a natty every 3-4 years is Dan Mullen and hevesy!**

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

Political Hack
09-19-2016, 10:39 AM
We'd better be happy with good effort this season because that's about as much as we're going to get. We lost to Southern Alabama. Not going to be a lot of W's this year guys. Seasons over if that's what you're looking for.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Dan has until the end of the year unless he gets in a motorcycle wreck running from someone. I am tired of his running Holloway up the middle but he has earned the right to go through the season before we make a judgement. If at the end of the year we have been competitive in every game and won 5 or 6 then I think he comes back. I would be worried if we turn over our defensive staff again and if Hev and Sallach are still recruiting USM and Jacksonville St level players.

GTHOM
09-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Somehow someway he will crush ole miss and make me completely unsure how I feel about him and start this whole song and dance again. Classic

If we beat OM that will make me completely forget about USA

Tripp McNeely
09-19-2016, 12:07 PM
That 15-17 class is top heavy and does nothing to fill the gaps left by the 14 and 16 classes. What if these JUCOs don't pan out? Anoyher questions. How do you follow up the 14 season with a lackluster recruiting class? By shopping your name in December and January instead of recruiting. I agree he should finish out this year but if we don't make a change we are looking delaying the inevitable. I would rather go through a rebuilding project with the talent we do have then wait for Mullen to run the program further down. We only have around 76 scholarship players before walk ons, he has mismanaged the roster and close recruiting with a thud last year

Lots of hypos and wrongs here. I vehemently disagree that the 15-17 classes are top heavy. If you think that, you need to expand your sample size of "comparables".Outside of Bama and LSU most (if not all) of the SEC schools had "top heavy" classes the past 3 cycles. We aren't recruiting in a vacuum.

What if most of those JUCOs do pan out? What if Mullen remains 100% focused on MSU in the offseason? The opposite answer to those questions changes your narrative quickly.

oldtrickdawg
09-19-2016, 12:10 PM
And, Mr. Poster, what do those schools you volunteered have in common...all elite programs....I can tell you for certain 6-6 at Alabama is considered a really "bad" year...

HancockCountyDog
09-19-2016, 12:24 PM
This is a really dumb thread for this board.

BB30
09-19-2016, 01:45 PM
70% of the threads here are, that is what makes it funny. No one has a clue including myself what needs to happen. Everyone just has an opinion, and I would guess 99% of the people on here have never coached or been on a major college football coaching staff so there is no way anyone can really relate to anything the coaching staff deals with. Some of us just don't let college football determine our mood for the next week, month, or year and those that do, I find their posts to be the most entertaining.

oldtrickdawg
09-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Random, if you are really thinking firing a coach helps a team's bottom line check out "Firing a Lousy Coach Rarely Brings Wins " by Beth Carter.;just google it..Too long to send....You'll need to compare those teams whose coach was actually fired for bad performance rather than the LSU's whose coach just moved up the ladder and Auburn's who actually bought a national championship with the blessing of the NCAA..I believe Auburn is still in disarray even though their record might be acceptable for us....And Florida was spinning for several years after my guy,Spurrier, was ushered out the door...

MadDawg
09-19-2016, 04:39 PM

Totally agree. Ignorance at it's finest.

JohnnyQuid
09-19-2016, 09:44 PM
You know what pisses me off. Fans that are ok with losing! I have read on here and other boards about how we hung together and we were tough and we should be happy. Let me say something about that. WE ARE 1-2 WITH A LOSS to a 1-2 sun belt team!!!!! And another item it's F 'ing year 8!!! You so called fans that accept losing is why thunder Dan doesn't give a SH!T. Why would he? Win a few games go to a bowl game and they will love me.... We should NEVER be happy about a loss!!!! That is utterly stupid and you "fans" that are happy we kept it close or golly gee we will getem next time are the main culprits on why we are looked down on by other sec fans. You people don't want to win!!!

Wake up! Dan and staff Have not recruited in two years and now he is loading up on JUCOs. Coincidence? I think not. Wrap your head around the fact we offered the entire Co-Lin DL and a safety! In year 8!!!!. We have issues folks

Thunder Dan will not play his more talented younger players. Why? Cause he coaches scared. Scared that a RB will fumble, scared a QB will throw an int, scared we miss a tackle or block. He coaches not to lose. I want a coach that plays the better players regardless of class. Play the more talented younger players. Let them learn from mistakes

Now let me say that I appreciate what Dan has done, but the time comes when we will have to part ways. Dan is so set in his ways and such a smug ass he thinks he is so much smarter than any of us, and it's our fans that allow it. Holloway up the middle every single time. GTOH... I want a coach that has his players playing like their damn hair is on fire and young players want to come here to play hard and win!!!

In closing I want our fans to not accept losing not accept not recruiting not accept playing LSU close. People that are happy with a loss make me sick. Are you happy with a loss in your job??? Hell no! We should expect and demand more. So STOP being happy with a loss.
It's time for thunder Dan and Hev to hit the road.

I'll admit I just skimmed through the wall of text and didn't read any replies but 2 things stood out.

some fans are happy with a loss to LSU - blatantly absurd and honestly just a dumb statement. difference between being happy and not going full retard and unrealistic.

Mullen doesn't care - again absurd and dumb. he cares more than you and I'd wager almost anyone. it's his ****ing job and he spends god knows how many hours in the day with the sole purpose to make our team better. I don't agree with all dan does but I do know his choices aren't intentionally made to piss me off or to hurt MSU.

your title is fitting tho. the mentality of some of our fan base boggles the mind. we will always have not just rebuilding years but years that we are down. this isn't a defeatist mentality it's reality. LSU has year in year out as much talent on their roster as any. we're not gonna recruit with bama lsu Georgia aggie probably even auburn. year in year out - that's the harsh truth of college football. excuse me if I'm not feigning outrage and find it incomprehensible our fanbase isn't in full meltdown.

I'm comfortable with who state is in football. do i think we are capable of making a run every several years and winning 9-10 games? sure. but I know we're gonna have these years. and talk about firing dan (idk if you did or not but the tone of your post seems along those lines) it's so stupid it boggles the mind - it would dwarf the stupidity of any firing I can recall in recent history.

dawg27
09-20-2016, 09:20 AM

When are we going to get to the point of competing, and competing does not mean well as long as we win 6 or 7. All that means is well we got kentucky we sc we beat our 4 conference games we are going bowling. we are 8 yrs into mullen and we are still saying the same thing only difference is this year we not going to win all the non conference games usa blew that out of the water.

msstate7
09-20-2016, 09:24 AM
I'll admit I just skimmed through the wall of text and didn't read any replies but 2 things stood out.

some fans are happy with a loss to LSU - blatantly absurd and honestly just a dumb statement. difference between being happy and not going full retard and unrealistic.

Mullen doesn't care - again absurd and dumb. he cares more than you and I'd wager almost anyone. it's his ****ing job and he spends god knows how many hours in the day with the sole purpose to make our team better. I don't agree with all dan does but I do know his choices aren't intentionally made to piss me off or to hurt MSU.

your title is fitting tho. the mentality of some of our fan base boggles the mind. we will always have not just rebuilding years but years that we are down. this isn't a defeatist mentality it's reality. LSU has year in year out as much talent on their roster as any. we're not gonna recruit with bama lsu Georgia aggie probably even auburn. year in year out - that's the harsh truth of college football. excuse me if I'm not feigning outrage and find it incomprehensible our fanbase isn't in full meltdown.

I'm comfortable with who state is in football. do i think we are capable of making a run every several years and winning 9-10 games? sure. but I know we're gonna have these years. and talk about firing dan (idk if you did or not but the tone of your post seems along those lines) it's so stupid it boggles the mind - it would dwarf the stupidity of any firing I can recall in recent history.

+1

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2016, 09:25 AM

This.