PDA

View Full Version : ramblings froon the old dog

oldtrickdawg
09-18-2016, 12:23 PM
I have a couple of observations..

Background:State fan for 60 years; Second generation State grad; Father coached many years secondary level; Raised in MS and Alabama.The entertainment value of remarks on this site is priceless. I have read the offerings for years on this site and others re State athletics.

Both D. Mullen and L. Miles (don't know either) seem fairly set in their ways. They both appear to cling to their bad decisions too long; headstrong would describe it, I think. College sports is not a picnic.. Mullen took five years and finally converted a tight end to a quarterback. Miles was trying to do the same at LSU. After two years and impatient fans he seems to have mellowed some on that project. Most likely because his job is on the line.

All the blather about Mullen's job search is just wasted ink unless he has stopped producing for State. There are too many reasons to list in trying to analyze why a coach might want to move. What we do know is coaches come and go. My father was fired about every five years of so. What we need to hope, as State fans, is that our cupboard is not bare when our coach leaves, for whatever reason. Coaches consider the fan base when seeking employment...Some of ours, as other schools, are fairly strange...

Some of the same folks praising Prescott, deserving of praise, have forgotten the many years his prowess was in the making. College sports are not popularity contests. Many of the greatest stars had/have personality issues; "just win baby." There are plenty of critics.

The best record we had while I was at State was 6-5. When the "little guys" threaten the status quo, the hammer falls..SMU, State,OM, etc. There is still that "timely," questionable call, like last night, to remind us we are the little guys. Nothing has changed in 60 years for me except we go bowling a lot; lots of bowls. The teams with the most quality athletes usually win the games..We have seldom recruited well without violating the NCAA rules..Those who are recruiting well are violating the NCAA rules. Those of you who think we can compete with the "elite" teams without violating NCAA rules are not only na?ve, you're ignorant.

AROB44
09-18-2016, 12:33 PM

Background:State fan for 60 years; Second generation State grad; Father coached many years secondary level; Raised in MS and Alabama.The entertainment value of remarks on this site is priceless. I have read the offerings for years on this site and others re State athletics.

Both D. Mullen and L. Miles (don't know either) seem fairly set in their ways. They both appear to cling to their bad decisions too long; headstrong would describe it, I think. College sports is not a picnic.. Mullen took five years and finally converted a tight end to a quarterback. Miles was trying to do the same at LSU. After two years and impatient fans he seems to have mellowed some on that project. Most likely because his job is on the line.

All the blather about Mullen's job search is just wasted ink unless he has stopped producing for State. There are too many reasons to list in trying to analyze why a coach might want to move. What we do know is coaches come and go. My father was fired about every five years of so. What we need to hope, as State fans, is that our cupboard is not bare when our coach leaves, for whatever reason. Coaches consider the fan base when seeking employment...Some of ours, as other schools, are fairly strange...

Some of the same folks praising Prescott, deserving of praise, have forgotten the many years his prowess was in the making. College sports are not popularity contests. Many of the greatest stars had/have personality issues; "just win baby." There are plenty of critics.

The best record we had while I was at State was 6-5. When the "little guys" threaten the status quo, the hammer falls..SMU, State,OM, etc. There is still that "timely," questionable call, like last night, to remind us we are the little guys. Nothing has changed in 60 years for me except we go bowling a lot; lots of bowls. The teams with the most quality athletes usually win the games..We have seldom recruited well without violating the NCAA rules..Those who are recruiting well are violating the NCAA rules. Those of you who think we can compete with the "elite" teams without violating NCAA rules are not only na?ve, you're ignorant.

Last sentence is spot on....

DownwardDawg
09-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Poor little mittittippi tate. We have no shot. Shame on us for expecting better.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Poor little mittittippi tate. We have no shot. Shame on us for expecting better.

Totally agree with you We should demand better. I mean we only have about a 90 million dollar athletic budget! SO We cant' compete with the elite programs GTFOH!!

AROB44
09-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Not saying we can't compete. But don't think we can recruit on their level without cheating. Do you disagree?

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Well I mean we should've beat LSU last night with our marginal recruiting we've gotten the last few years.. Better execution and personal decisions we win! Simple formula! Everbody cheats in some form are fashion but if we went balls deep we'd be in the exact fiasco as the group up NORTH.. 17ed!

Maroonthirteen
09-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Any of you old timers remember the Sykes (if I remember correctly) brothers from West Point? Everyone around West Point said they would sign with State. Signing day came along and Brewer scooped them up.

I learned then. We have a difficult time recruiting. That same scenario has played itself a number of times over the years. Different kids, different towns....same ole miss.

EngDawg
09-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Totally agree with you We should demand better. I mean we only have about a 90 million dollar athletic budget! SO We cant' compete with the elite programs GTFOH!!

I wonder what LSU's budget is. I know the gap has closed, but I garuntee you the gap is still there big time

msstate7
09-18-2016, 01:40 PM
I wonder what LSU's budget is. I know the gap has closed, but I garuntee you the gap is still there big time

I would like to see football budgets for the sec west. I know we're last in HC pay and assistant pay.

SailingDawg
09-18-2016, 01:40 PM

THANK YOU!!! You have twenty years on me and I have the exact analysis.

Maroonthirteen
09-18-2016, 02:01 PM
There is no question State has more cash and better facilities than we have ever. HOWEVER when we can't use the cash to directly acquire the commodity that is needed....cash is never going to guarantee success.

Having watch the SEC for 35 years, the thing that has changed is that Bama, LSU and all the top tier schools recruit nationally rather than regionally. We still, despite the large influx of cash, recruit regionally.

SailingDawg
09-18-2016, 02:57 PM
There is no question State has more cash and better facilities than we have ever. HOWEVER when we can't use the cash to directly acquire the commodity that is needed....cash is never going to guarantee success.

Having watch the SEC for 35 years, the thing that has changed is that Bama, LSU and all the top tier schools recruit nationally rather than regionally. We still, despite the large influx of cash, recruit regionally.

Sure we have more cash than ever, but the big programs budgets have increased exponentially so we're in the same boat as 20 years ago.

Really Clark?
09-18-2016, 04:31 PM
I would like to see football budgets for the sec west. I know we're last in HC pay and assistant pay.

We are last at around $31 MIL. Next closest is UNM at $53 MIL I believe. Bama is close to $100 MIL

oldtrickdawg
09-18-2016, 05:43 PM
The budget analysis is on the spot....I really noticed the difference one year eons ago when a Florida paper published the athletic budget for the U of F...It was ten million....Ours was 1.7 for all athletics...The budget is just the beginning..There are so may moving parts to the equation..I appreciate the effort our players give but when we have one DD Lewis the big boys have three....Those of you who have followed State for any length of time remember how many games we were either close or leading the big names only to fall short by a final drive in the fourth quarter..That's all depth...We could compete only in those years we had stockpiled red shirts....What the Negative Nellies ought to do is contribute more money and,better yet, help recruit...I did both over the years...I'll bet they'll find no magic wand to a four or five star for Starkville...