PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on tonight

It_Could_Happen
09-18-2016, 12:26 AM
First, I want to say I am proud of the guys for not quitting, but with that being said, where was that effort the other 55 minutes? I understand we are a young team, but the least you can do is play hard. I had a high school coach tell our team if you make mistakes do it going 100 MPH. Our guys have got to learn to bring the intensity for 60 minutes. I thought the play calling was better overall tonight other than Hollaway up the middle as usual. One thing that does worry me is that we got no pass rush whatsoever and I thought that was a strength of our time. Overall did a decent job against Fournette. This team is young but they can still salvage 5 more wins and get to a bowl. Going to be tough but very possible. Everyone be safe traveling back from BR and hail state.

msstate7
09-18-2016, 12:29 AM
I was disappointed in our pass rush when we got em in passing situations.

Goldendawg
09-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Did Nick James play much tonight? Don't remember his name being called.

It_Could_Happen
09-18-2016, 12:36 AM
I was disappointed in our pass rush when we got em in passing situations.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. Didn't mention this earlier, but I thought OL was decent at times, but did a horrible job of picking up blitzes.

msstate7
09-18-2016, 12:36 AM

Yeah, he got a penalty I think

It_Could_Happen
09-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Yeah, he got a penalty I think
The two killer penalty's were Leo's 15 yarder and Calvin taking out the kicker.

msstate7
09-18-2016, 12:41 AM

Both were highly questionable. You probably didn't see it as well as us at home

It_Could_Happen
09-18-2016, 12:43 AM

No I didn't see either except on replay. I will say LSU does a good job on visitor seats. We had great tickets. 7th row in the end zone. Only bad part I got stuck behind the damn tubas.

Goldendawg
09-18-2016, 12:44 AM
After watching UNM/Bama and our game the SEC officials don't seem to be very good at all. Jackie used to say you had to be good enough to beat the other team and the officials, but bad calls shouldn't dictate the outcome of any game.

msstate7
09-18-2016, 12:45 AM
I also thought LF held on the 1st lsu td

It_Could_Happen
09-18-2016, 12:46 AM
After watching UNM/Bama and our game the SEC officials don't seem to be very good at all. Jackie used to say you had to be good enough to beat the other team and the officials, but bad calls shouldn't dictate the outcome of any game.

There were a few questionables that were not called but I do not think any penalty other than roughing the kicker would have changed the outcome of the game.

Bothrops
09-18-2016, 12:53 AM
We were soft, unable to impose our will, and frankly, I think a lot of these guys need to hit the weight room harder. Some of them look like it's been a few weeks.

Todd4State
09-18-2016, 12:55 AM

That's partially because Jackie's teams were so undisciplined. The 1999 Peach Bowl was the pinnacle of that where we set some kind of a record for penalties and still only allowed 7 points.

Todd4State
09-18-2016, 12:57 AM

I didn't see Leo's penalty but I did see him trying to pump up our crowd before that but he was on LSU's side of the ball at the time and I saw an official talk to him. So he probably had a short leash. On the roughing the kicker- there was no reason to even be that close to their kicker. They're going to flop if you get that close and it's probably going to get called. And they all played soccer so they're probably pretty good at flopping.

msstate7
09-18-2016, 12:57 AM
That's partially because Jackie's teams were so undisciplined. The 1999 Peach Bowl was the pinnacle of that where we set some kind of a record for penalties and still only allowed 7 points.

If targeting was called then, we might have set a record for penalty yards that would never be broken. We were laying some devestating hits

Todd4State
09-18-2016, 01:00 AM
If targeting was called then, we might have set a record for penalty yards that would never be broken. We were laying some devestating hits

No doubt. Josh Morgan probably would have been banned from football.

Goldendawg
09-18-2016, 01:00 AM
Yeah, we were like the old Raiders when we had the talent to be heavily penalized and still win some of the games. Had some real hitters on some of those teams until the wheels came off at the end. Lack of talent and no discipline is indeed a recipe for disaster.

TUSK
09-18-2016, 01:03 AM
I'm glad someone else brought it up... the officiating was, at times, questionable today... in a few instances...

msstate7
09-18-2016, 01:05 AM
Yeah, we were like the old Raiders when we had the talent to be heavily penalized and still win some of the games. Had some real hitters on some of those teams until the wheels came off at the end. Lack of talent and no discipline is indeed a recipe for disaster.

I think everyone knows I'm a Mullen guy, but I really miss how attacking we used to be on defense.

Goldendawg
09-18-2016, 01:10 AM
Ditto. I miss us attacking and playing physical on both sides of the ball. The game has changed, but I am growing tired of bend but don't break on D and pass happy O.

It_Could_Happen
09-18-2016, 01:18 AM
I think everyone knows I'm a Mullen guy, but I really miss how attacking we used to be on defense.

Last week we really pinned our ears back and got after it. Didn't see it tonight. Don't know if lsu's o line is that good or if it was play calling

thf24
09-18-2016, 01:21 AM

You're never going to hear his name called very much. His job is to draw a double team and clog the middle so the other guys can make the plays.

Goldendawg
09-18-2016, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I know but would love to see him break thru and get a much deserved sack or TFL.

BulldogBacker
09-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I know but would love to see him break thru and get a much deserved sack or TFL.

LSU's offensive line was most offensive when holding #47! LSU held on every play in the 1st Quarter, especially.

TUSK
09-18-2016, 01:41 AM
LSU's offensive line was most offensive when holding #47! LSU held on every play in the 1st Quarter, especially.

OM OL says "you are full of shit"...

msbulldog
09-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Calvin barely touched the kicker and he did the flop and got up smiling when the flag flew. Gary D. in the booth even called BS on the call. Bad thing was the difference between the FG they took off the board and the TD they scored points would have won the game for us.

MetEdDawg
09-18-2016, 07:18 AM

This. LSU could have gotten called for holding on virtually every play. Jefferson dominated his side of the line but they started sending 3-5 guys to that side of the field and washed everyone out. Until we get some decent backside pursuit that's the game plan against our front 7.

I don't know schematically if we can do this, but I really think we should run a 5-2 against LSU. The only chance you have to stop Fournette is to plug up the LOS. If a LB doesn't fill a hole or a DL doesn't bust through, Fournette is going to go 3-4 yards before he gets touched and by then it's too late. Our LBs are too small compared to the elite defenses to stop Fournette in a base 4-3.

I think a 5-2 with James, Thomas, Jefferson, Adams, Calvin, Richie, and Green probably could be more effective in the run game against LSU.