PDA

View Full Version : Honest evaluation

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 09:46 PM
We ain't as bad as most of "our" fans think. We certainly aren't on the level we were at the last two years. Anyone that expected anything close to that was just stupid. This team has three weak spots. The defensive backfield is suspect. That didn't kill us tonight because LSU has as much trouble passing as we do. Outside of Fitz we have trouble running the ball. Fitz is our only real threat running, but He Cant throw the ball enough to beat a team that can stop the run. Damien is the better QB in that situation, not that he is that great. All in all I did NOT expect to be in that game at the end. That USA non-effort by the team AND the fans in the second half will haunt us all year.

Bothrops
09-17-2016, 10:10 PM
We ain't as bad as most of "our" fans think.

We are worse than we hoped and that's bad. Our coaches really let us down tonight. So that's 2/3. Not too good is it, Chief..

DownwardDawg
09-17-2016, 10:13 PM
We ain't as bad as most of "our" fans think. We certainly aren't on the level we were at the last two years. Anyone that expected anything close to that was just stupid. This team has three weak spots. The defensive backfield is suspect. That didn't kill us tonight because LSU has as much trouble passing as we do. Outside of Fitz we have trouble running the ball. Fitz is our only real threat running, but He Cant throw the ball enough to beat a team that can stop the run. Damien is the better QB in that situation, not that he is that great. All in all I did NOT expect to be in that game at the end. That USA non-effort by the team AND the fans in the second half will haunt us all year.
We actually did a decent job running when we sat Holloway and played our bigger backs.

munk_munk92
09-17-2016, 10:14 PM
Wrong, we wouldn't have trouble running the ball if dumbass Dan would put the right RB in the game. Every one of our RB outside of Holloway average more than 5 ypc. Dan is the problem.

MarketingBully
09-17-2016, 10:18 PM
Wrong, we wouldn't have trouble running the ball if dumbass Dan would put the right RB in the game. Every one of our RB outside of Holloway average more than 5 ypc. Dan is the problem.

And even more then that run the read option with regularity with Aeris Williams and Shumpert and Fitz actually keeping it most of the time on the option. He had one true read option and gained 25 yards. Mullen had Fitz out there like he was Peyton Manning or something in the pocket. That was dumb dumb play calling.

mstatefan91
09-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Run Williams and Shumpert. Bring Holloway in for edge plays and screens... we'd be so much better in the running department if so..

EngDawg
09-17-2016, 10:51 PM
If we had an offensive line we could run the ball better regardless of who the back was

EngDawg
09-17-2016, 10:52 PM
We are worse than we hoped and that's bad. Our coaches really let us down tonight. So that's 2/3. Not too good is it, Chief..

Expecting 8 wins was a pipe dream. Realist knew 6 would mean we were over-performing

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 10:56 PM

Not really.

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 10:58 PM
If we had an offensive line we could run the ball better regardless of who the back was

This, unfortunately. As it is, Fitx is the only running threat we have. The back's ain't the problem.

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Expecting 8 wins was a pipe dream. Realist knew 6 would mean we were over-performing

Yep.

mstatefan91
09-17-2016, 11:00 PM

Well, yeah, but it just so happens that we don't, so you have to run the bigger backs to compensate.

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Well, yeah, but it just so happens that we don't, so you have to run the bigger backs to compensate.

That won't help.

Goldendawg
09-17-2016, 11:06 PM
Dan will not change. Ted Nugent who's music I love said that there was only one alpha dog in the band and it was him. He ran off Derek St. Holmes and his career was never the same. It is obvious that no D coaches want to work for Dan very long, as per our constant turnover especially at DC. He protects some his under achieving O coaches who will forever be with him as long as he is a HC, whether they can recruit or coach as well. We will continue to beat most of our cupcake OCC opponents, weak East teams, and West teams when they are down, but not UM, Bama, aTm, LSU, in the current state of affairs. What is Dan's record against the West? He is one of best coaches record wise of all time, but I really expected more in year 8. Our heavy reliance on JC recruiting this class also worries me. I have enjoyed the run but am very concerned about where we are at OL, CB, player usage, lack of identity on O, coaching, and recruiting at this time.

mstatefan91
09-17-2016, 11:07 PM
That won't help.

You kidding or what? No, seriously, are you kidding?

Sacrifice
09-17-2016, 11:10 PM

To me, this is our biggest problem on offense. Our OL is decent in pass protection but isn't very good at opening holes consistently for the RBs. It seems like whoever is running the ball we get one decent gain and then stuffed the next 3 runs

blacklistedbully
09-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Honest evaluation?? Here's mine...you are completely clueless.

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 11:39 PM
Run Williams and Shumpert. Bring Holloway in for edge plays and screens... we'd be so much better in the running department if so..

If that's all you do with him then he needs to be benched. I won't argue that point but if you play the guy he HAS to run inside.

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 11:39 PM
Honest evaluation?? Here's mine...you are completely clueless.

Opinions vary.

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2016, 11:40 PM
You kidding or what? No, seriously, are you kidding?

Big backs need blocking too.

mstatefan91
09-17-2016, 11:43 PM
Big backs need blocking too.

Yes.... big backs also break tackles... I can't make you see this, but it doesn't make me wrong and you right.

mstatefan91
09-17-2016, 11:44 PM
If that's all you do with him then he needs to be benched. I won't argue that point but if you play the guy he HAS to run inside.

Holloway can be used. He just isn't an every down back. Hell, he probably isn't a running back (he isn't).

Goldendawg
09-17-2016, 11:48 PM
Light bulb seemed to go off for Shump tonight. Maybe this will carry over to 2017. Opps. Never mind.

TimberBeast
09-18-2016, 12:36 AM
And even more then that run the read option with regularity with Aeris Williams and Shumpert and Fitz actually keeping it most of the time on the option. He had one true read option and gained 25 yards. Mullen had Fitz out there like he was Peyton Manning or something in the pocket. That was dumb dumb play calling.

Exactly.

TimberBeast
09-18-2016, 12:39 AM

That is absolutely correct, you finally get it. His position is on the bench.

Liverpooldawg
09-18-2016, 09:46 AM
That is absolutely correct, you finally get it. His position is on the bench.

Never said it was, or wasn't. You can't just bring a back in to run wide. If he plays he has to run it inside as well as outside. It works both ways too. You can't just run inside with the big guys. I think y'all are wrong about why Holloway plays as much as he does. I think he plays because he is the only one of the backs that really has elite speed. He is probably the only one of the bunch that has elite anything.

Liverpooldawg
09-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Yes.... big backs also break tackles... I can't make you see this, but it doesn't make me wrong and you right.

Do they? I'm talking about the ones we have.

bulldawg28
09-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Do they? I'm talking about the ones we have.

Shumpert did great last night. Hopefully the downhill plays continue.

BoomBoom
09-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Never said it was, or wasn't. You can't just bring a back in to run wide. If he plays he has to run it inside as well as outside. It works both ways too. You can't just run inside with the big guys. I think y'all are wrong about why Holloway plays as much as he does. I think he plays because he is the only one of the backs that really has elite speed. He is probably the only one of the bunch that has elite anything.

Smh. He barely has speed. He has nowhere near elite speed.