PDA

View Full Version : Engineers/Architects: Is this feasible/not cost prohibitive for DWS?

Lloyd Christmas
09-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Image Link (http://media.philly.com/images/1200*800/20160918-bmo-field.jpg)
Toronto FC added this roof to their stadium in the offseason. I'd love something like this at State.

RocketDawg
09-16-2016, 08:32 PM
It would probably cost quite a bit, and also wouldn't be all that effective, given the orientation of the stadium. Next day game we have, look at the sun angles (which, of course, change with the season).

If you start shading it too much, you'd have to use artificial turf. And the players would still be just as hot as they are now.

The best solution would be not to have day games the first couple of games each year. Even then, last week the sun was pretty bright for the 6 p.m. kickoff if you were on the east side. But you'd need a huge wall in the south end zone to keep that from happening. The USA game was the one that was most miserable for most of the fans though. Luckily, I was sitting in the shade most of the time.

Mjoelner34
09-16-2016, 08:33 PM
I vote for this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/41/ec/74/41ec747e569dbba3e581757f735f3a14.jpg

EngDawg
09-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Definely not that type of engineer, but I'm guessing it would be a nice little project. Plus you have to consider the fact that it doesn't increase game day revenue, so there's probably no incentive for the university to pursue it unless some cigar boy turns it into his pet project.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2016, 08:43 PM
It would probably cost quite a bit, and also wouldn't be all that effective, given the orientation of the stadium. Next day game we have, look at the sun angles (which, of course, change with the season).

If you start shading it too much, you'd have to use artificial turf. And the players would still be just as hot as they are now.

The best solution would be not to have day games the first couple of games each year. Even then, last week the sun was pretty bright for the 6 p.m. kickoff if you were on the east side. But you'd need a huge wall in the south end zone to keep that from happening. The USA game was the one that was most miserable for most of the fans though. Luckily, I was sitting in the shade most of the time.

This seems extremely ignorant and close minded.

Most every soccer stadium in Europe has covered seating and natural grass. Many MLS teams do as well.

We are one of the best grass growing universities on the planet but can't grow grass in shade while it seems others can?

Please explain

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Definely not that type of engineer, but I'm guessing it would be a nice little project. Plus you have to consider the fact that it doesn't increase game day revenue, so there's probably no incentive for the university to pursue it unless some cigar boy turns it into his pet project.

My guess is it would help season ticket sales since you'd be offering fans a more comfortable experience and louder atmosphere.

EngDawg
09-16-2016, 08:56 PM
My guess is it would help season ticket sales since you'd be offering fans a more comfortable experience and louder atmosphere.

True, but we sell most of our seats as is. I, for one, wouldn't want my ticket prices to increase because somebody decided to put a roof on the stadium.

The reason all euro stadiums are covered is the terrible weather they have over there. It rains almost everyday. This is also why stadiums in the Pacific Northwest are covered.

EngDawg
09-16-2016, 09:04 PM
I think somebody said somethingin another thread about a mesh net that supposedly created a 20 degree drop in temps. Anybody know anything about this

BoomBoom
09-16-2016, 09:14 PM
I think somebody said somethingin another thread about a mesh net that supposedly created a 20 degree drop in temps. Anybody know anything about this

That was me. The one I saw was a small area, but a google search shows it's not an uncommon thing for stadiums. Ive seen both sturd permanent metal designs, and fabric ones. I'd prefer something like a field goal net that is raised over the stadium. Should be light enough to require minimal supports to be added. Should be cheap enough to be doable. And since it's raised you could just leave it off for late season games that are cold. I think you could make it maroon with a logo or design on it, so it shoulf look just classy enough to keep people from bitching about it being redneck or something.

EngDawg
09-16-2016, 09:34 PM
I think you could make it maroon with a logo or design on it, so it should look just classy enough to keep people from bitching about it being redneck or something.

Let's make it camo and turn the stadium into a giant duck blind***

Mjoelner34
09-16-2016, 09:53 PM
That was me. The one I saw was a small area, but a google search shows it's not an uncommon thing for stadiums. Ive seen both sturd permanent metal designs, and fabric ones. I'd prefer something like a field goal net that is raised over the stadium. Should be light enough to require minimal supports to be added. Should be cheap enough to be doable. And since it's raised you could just leave it off for late season games that are cold. I think you could make it maroon with a logo or design on it, so it shoulf look just classy enough to keep people from bitching about it being redneck or something.

That was the reason I posted the drawing of the Rome Colosseum. As far as using a tarp or greenhouse shading, the Romans had it right.

EdDawg
09-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Brilliant, and our new artificial noise maker could be a duck call. ***

EAVdog
09-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Looked at an ETFE canopy type structure for a much smaller, and lower, canopy at a stadium with much less capacity. ETFE is the stretched fabric. I believe it was around 10-15 Million. There are a lot of things involved in creating a shade structure. You would have to re-position the lighting which would be tricky to keep the optimal angles, etc... What they are doing, have done, in Miami is insane and was crazy expensive.

FIFA requires a certain percentage of covering at venues. Which is why MLS stadia have canopies.

EngDawg
09-16-2016, 10:42 PM
These work really well.
http://www.froggtoggs.com/cooling/icool-pva-towel.html

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-16-2016, 10:47 PM
I vote for this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/41/ec/74/41ec747e569dbba3e581757f735f3a14.jpg

That's ****ing awesome

Bothrops
09-17-2016, 12:27 AM
Waste of money. We simply don't play enough day games to justify this. This money is much better spent elsewhere.

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
09-17-2016, 07:43 AM

Most every soccer stadium in Europe has covered seating and natural grass. Many MLS teams do as well.

We are one of the best grass growing universities on the planet but can't grow grass in shade while it seems others can?

Please explain

Bermuda grass vs cold season grasses like fescue and rye. Bermuda won't grow in the shade for very long.

NELA Dawg
09-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Let's make it camo and turn the stadium into a giant duck blind***

The Feds will show up then and start handing out tickets for no license, no duck stamp, and most importantly not signing the duck stamp. Hell, the will probably write someone up for not having a plug in their gun! Sorry, I had to vent.

BoomBoom
09-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Looked at an ETFE canopy type structure for a much smaller, and lower, canopy at a stadium with much less capacity. ETFE is the stretched fabric. I believe it was around 10-15 Million. There are a lot of things involved in creating a shade structure. You would have to re-position the lighting which would be tricky to keep the optimal angles, etc... What they are doing, have done, in Miami is insane and was crazy expensive.

FIFA requires a certain percentage of covering at venues. Which is why MLS stadia have canopies.

What I saw wasnt EFTE, it was an opaque mesh, not a translucent cover. What do they use for field goal nets?

RocketDawg
09-17-2016, 09:56 AM

Please explain

Most European teams have cool season grasses too, and aren't trying to grow Bermudagrass.

RocketDawg
09-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Bermuda grass vs cold season grasses like fescue and rye. Bermuda won't grow in the shade for very long.

Looks like we had the same thoughts. I posted immediately after reading Shotgun's very rude post, and just now saw yours.

HSVDawg
09-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Alternate proposal: Build a giant cabana over the entire stadium. Design criteria - make sure it is not blue.

ScoobaDawg
09-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Guys... it's not gonna happen. Drop it. Nothing will be gained with a cover or other alternitve. Neither add seats or make money.
The next stage of stadium work per the current athletic plan will remove Butler to create a bigger eastside entrance and tailgate area, connecting green space all around the stadium. That would go along with revamping the lower concourse.

RocketDawg
09-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Guys... it's not gonna happen. Drop it. Nothing will be gained with a cover or other alternitve. Neither add seats or make money.
The next stage of stadium work per the current athletic plan will remove Butler to create a bigger eastside entrance and tailgate area, connecting green space all around the stadium. That would go along with revamping the lower concourse.

Granted, the east side concourse needs some work. I haven't been in the west side since the renovation so I have nothing to compare it to, but I know the east side is pretty plain. They also keep talking about renovation of the east side Floyd Wade Club Level. That's where I sit, and I really don't see anything wrong with the way it is now, except maybe some exclusive-use elevators need to be added. And I don't know if that's in the plan or not.

Was just watching either SEC Nation or Game Day, and they showed Dak getting sacked by an Alabama player last year. The view was toward the south, toward the M-Club building. We look like a high school stadium from that viewpoint ... we need to enclose the south end zone with more premium seating (that would also address the sun problem to a degree).

BoomBoom
09-17-2016, 11:12 AM

If that is true, I'd like to know who the people with decision power are who think vastly Improving the gameday experience for the fans does not increase revenue. If I ever stop getting season tickets, knowing I can skipp the 100 degree melt in your seat games and just pick up tix for a couple good weather games will be a key factor.

Coursesuper
09-17-2016, 11:17 AM

Please explain

Would definitely need artificial turf, our types of turf wouldn't make it with that much shade. Grasses in Europe and up north can tolerate shade better than warm season turfs.

ScoobaDawg
09-17-2016, 11:23 AM
If that is true, I'd like to know who the people with decision power are who think vastly Improving the gameday experience for the fans does not increase revenue. If I ever stop getting season tickets, knowing I can skipp the 100 degree melt in your seat games and just pick up tix for a couple good weather games will be a key factor.

If you ever become a bigger majority, something might change. Right now all that matters is WIN and people will come.
Now staying the whole game..thats different.

ScottH
09-17-2016, 11:39 AM
If that is true, I'd like to know who the people with decision power are who think vastly Improving the gameday experience for the fans does not increase revenue.

First question on any expansion/renovation idea at MSU - "What is the revenue stream?"

BoomBoom
09-17-2016, 11:44 AM
First question on any expansion/renovation idea at MSU - "What is the revenue stream?"

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm asked to donate.

RocketDawg
09-17-2016, 11:51 AM

That's probably the #1 criterion everywhere. Except in Oxford ... they seem to want to outdo MSU so they'll expand whether needed or not.

BoomBoom
09-17-2016, 12:41 PM
If you ever become a bigger majority, something might change. Right now all that matters is WIN and people will come.
Now staying the whole game..thats different.

How does eliminating Dorman and adding tailgate area increase ticket sales and revenue, when people actually enjoying themselves at the game doesnt?