PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA Commits 9.16.16

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Just when I thought I was out, Heav pulls me back in... (actually it was Linguist who recruited him)

Montravious Richardson, 6'7' 300 pound OT from Westover High in Albany, GA committed Wednesday night, finally giving me a way to bring you guys reports from the Peach State for a fourth year.

I'll leave the debate about OL, who's a take, etc. etc. to others and just report about the games and opponents each week. This week will be a little long as I introduce you to Westover High and their season to date.

Westover High School in Albany, GA is in region 1-4A, and is the largest of 4 high schools in Dougherty County. With the expansion of GHSA to 7 classifications, this is a new region made up of 5 Columbus schools from the old 1-5A and 3 schools from 1-4A. The Patriots schedule includes games against their 3 local AA/AAA rivals (Dougherty, Albany, and Monroe), and a region slate of Columbus schools (Carver, Columbus, Hardaway, Northside, & Shaw), Americus-Sumter, and Cairo (the Syrupmakers, one of the top 5 HS nicknames in the state).

Historically, Westover has rarely been competitive - with only 1 region title (2013) in their history (opened in 1968). A 3A school for most of their history, Westover has been paired over the years with South Georgia powers Worth County & Cairo as region foes. Westover has put 4 players in the league, including current OT for the 49ers and former Gator Trenton Brown. Maybe the best known former Patriot is the 2014 Maxwell Player of the Year and AJC Defensive Player of the Year and consensus HS All-American Trenton Thompson who is now the starting DT for UGA. Westover has produced 8 All-State linemen since 1990.

The Patriots have started the season off with a strong 2-1 with a loss to Monroe and wins against Albany and Dougherty. A good sign ? Westover had two players run for over 100 yards in their win against Albany, and one run for 175 yards against Dougherty. Both wins saw well over 200 yards rushing.

Tonight?s matchup is against the Americus-Sumter Panthers (1-2). This should be a walk over game against a team that has only had 2 winning seasons in their 12 year history. I?ll post a recap as soon as stats/scores are available. In the meantime, here is a great photo of our newest Bulldog from summer camp:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/albanyherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/97/e97fb6cc-9774-52f5-97c2-8126f04155c9/57daf7118be61.image.jpg

Dude is a big, big guy.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-16-2016, 02:37 PM
At first look I thought that was Simmons & Holloway at practice. **

Seriously, if he has a Dillon Day attitude to go with the body he will be a great one for us.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2016, 03:52 PM

Seriously, if he has a Dillon Day attitude to go with the body he will be a great one for us.
if he had a mean streak he could be tough to stop. But, as The Kang always said "you can't teach size."

Goldendawg
09-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Maybe an overlooked diamond in the rough who will someday be all SEC, but do we even try to recruit many 4 star OL guys?

oldjoedawg
09-16-2016, 09:25 PM
no, I am sure our staff never goes after any above 3 star rating.....lol You were Shirley joking with that ? weren't you?

Maybe an overlooked diamond in the rough who will someday be all SEC, but do we even try to recruit many 4 star OL guys?

Turfdawg67
09-16-2016, 11:02 PM

Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are.

Corn Bread
09-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Just when I thought I was out, Heav pulls me back in... (actually it was Linguist who recruited him)

Montravious Richardson, 6'7' 300 pound OT from Westover High in Albany, GA committed Wednesday night, finally giving me a way to bring you guys reports from the Peach State for a fourth year.

I'll leave the debate about OL, who's a take, etc. etc. to others and just report about the games and opponents each week. This week will be a little long as I introduce you to Westover High and their season to date.

Westover High School in Albany, GA is in region 1-4A, and is the largest of 4 high schools in Dougherty County. With the expansion of GHSA to 7 classifications, this is a new region made up of 5 Columbus schools from the old 1-5A and 3 schools from 1-4A. The Patriots schedule includes games against their 3 local AA/AAA rivals (Dougherty, Albany, and Monroe), and a region slate of Columbus schools (Carver, Columbus, Hardaway, Northside, & Shaw), Americus-Sumter, and Cairo (the Syrupmakers, one of the top 5 HS nicknames in the state).

Historically, Westover has rarely been competitive - with only 1 region title (2013) in their history (opened in 1968). A 3A school for most of their history, Westover has been paired over the years with South Georgia powers Worth County & Cairo as region foes. Westover has put 4 players in the league, including current OT for the 49ers and former Gator Trenton Brown. Maybe the best known former Patriot is the 2014 Maxwell Player of the Year and AJC Defensive Player of the Year and consensus HS All-American Trenton Thompson who is now the starting DT for UGA. Westover has produced 8 All-State linemen since 1990.

The Patriots have started the season off with a strong 2-1 with a loss to Monroe and wins against Albany and Dougherty. A good sign ? Westover had two players run for over 100 yards in their win against Albany, and one run for 175 yards against Dougherty. Both wins saw well over 200 yards rushing.

Tonight?s matchup is against the Americus-Sumter Panthers (1-2). This should be a walk over game against a team that has only had 2 winning seasons in their 12 year history. I?ll post a recap as soon as stats/scores are available. In the meantime, here is a great photo of our newest Bulldog from summer camp:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/albanyherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/97/e97fb6cc-9774-52f5-97c2-8126f04155c9/57daf7118be61.image.jpg

Dude is a big, big guy.

Richardson- the eighth wonder of the world. My God he is awesome.

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Well, I forgot that I shouldn't make score predictions. Americus -Sumter wins 21-6. No stats or much a recap by the Albany Herald. You can read it here http://http://www.albanyherald.com/sports/westover-falls-to-americus-sumter/article_102e375a-2610-5182-ad19-8cf04fe64aca.html

msbulldog
09-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Richardson- the eighth wonder of the world. My God he is awesome.

Andre the giant.

Cowboydawg
09-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Sure we do. Damien Robinson, Jake Thomas, Cole Carter among others I'm forgetting to name. OL is the one position that I don't get excited about just because they have 4 stars by their name. Usually the 5 stars are the real deal. But after that it's a crapshoot.

CadaverDawg
09-17-2016, 08:50 AM
At first look I thought that was Simmons & Holloway at practice.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/The-Lakers-Basketball-Team-Ouch-Reaction-Gif.gif

tireddawg
09-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Brunswick, I enjoy these post & look forward to them. Thanks for posting.

Madisonmd
09-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Are grades of concern? Or good to go?