PDA

View Full Version : What did Mullen say about Holloway on Dawg Talk?

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Bo Bounds just mentioned that Mullen got testy with a fan last night in response to a Holloway question.

Anybody hear what he said?

starkvegasdawg
09-16-2016, 08:02 AM
Bo Bounds just mentioned that Mullen got testy with a fan last night in response to a Holloway question.

Probably, "We don't talk about injuries or my stupid playcalling. Just grinding and straining."

DLGDawg
09-16-2016, 08:20 AM

I listened just a bit. Got in the truck around 730 or so.
First caller I heard asked about Holloway up the middle etc.
Mullen didn't get testy w this guy. Basically just said Holloway was our starting tailback and was gonna do what starting tailbacks do.

Dawgface
09-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Next question.....so a 165 lb'er is our best option for up the middle? Mullen.....yes.***

fishwater99
09-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Mullen didn't get testy w this guy. Basically just said Holloway was our starting tailback and was gonna do what starting tailbacks do.

Why does Dan think he is so damn smart? He is going to keep running him up the middle to the detriment of our team and Holoway's health.

TimberBeast
09-16-2016, 09:24 AM

Did he really say something that stupid?

RougeDawg
09-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Did you miss his post game USA presser? This one is genius level compared to two weeks ago.

dawgday166
09-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Whoa there Timber. You're talking about the inventor of college football ***

I'm figuring Dan just said something along the lines of "Well, people just need to get outta the way cause Holloway COMING THRU. I pity the poor bastard that makes the mistake of steppin up in his path!"

Jack Lambert
09-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Well Holloway is small but if the damn lineman would get off their asses and block it wouldn't matter. Everyone bitches about the o line so what is it?

RougeDawg
09-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Well Holloway is small but if the damn lineman would get off their asses and block it wouldn't matter. Everyone bitches about the o line so what is it?

Our bigger RB's can get around 4 YPC up the gut with the same OLine so I believe that answers your question.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2016, 09:42 AM

Asking an OL to make sure the RB goes untouched seems a little unrealistic Eh?

DownwardDawg
09-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Our bigger RB's can get around 4 YPC up the gut with the same OLine so I believe that answers your question.

I believe so too.

Cooterpoot
09-16-2016, 09:50 AM
I don't care if a 3'2, 93 lb. peg-legged RB totes it 30 times as long as we win. People worry about stupid stuff. I'm more concerned our secondary sucks balls (the hairy kind) and Fitz has a long way to go as a passer. Not to mention the OL's inconsistencies.

DudyDawg
09-16-2016, 09:54 AM
I don't care if a 3'2, 93 lb. peg-legged RB totes it 30 times as long as we win. People worry about stupid stuff. I'm more concerned our secondary sucks balls (the hairy kind) and Fitz has a long way to go as a passer. Not to mention the OL's inconsistencies.

I think the point is that running it with him up the gut won't help us win

Todd4State
09-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Did you miss his post game USA presser? This one is genius level compared to two weeks ago.

This is true.

Todd4State
09-16-2016, 10:06 AM
It's frustrating but Dan is going to do this no matter what and the only thing that will cause it to change is an injury to someone. And no I'm not hoping Holloway gets hurt.

I just hope it doesn't hurt us too bad this year because if you are Mississippi State you can't afford to sit better options or use a player incorrectly and still maximize your production.

TimberBeast
09-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Yes I missed it thank goodness. I want to hear mullen talk about as much as I wanted to hear croom talk, and it looks like they are saying about the same things.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Why does Dan think he is so damn smart? He is going to keep running him up the middle to the detriment of our team and Holoway's health.

If he runs up the middle against LSU then I'll complain. Until then Ill just chalk this up to a brilliant strategy by Mullen to throw off future opponents

Cooterpoot
09-16-2016, 10:23 AM
I think the point is that running it with him up the gut won't help us win

Dan is done with the power running game. Haven't seen it 3+ years now. It doesn't matter who we put back there unless they're a complete hoss. And I don't think we have one of those. Dan has turned us into a read/bubble screen team.

RocketDawg
09-16-2016, 10:24 AM

Probably because he's the head coach and knows the team and individual players better than anybody else on Earth. I'll admit that to me, running a 160 pounder straight at linemen who weigh twice as much doesn't sound great, but if he had decent blocking it wouldn't be as big an issue. And you gotta admit ... Holloway IS fast and isn't lumbering around like some of the fa ... larger ... players. And I like Holloway ... he gives more effort than just about any other player on the field. But he shouldn't be running up the middle. :) But we pay Mullen very well to make those decisions.

Irondawg
09-16-2016, 10:25 AM
The problem I see with our inside running is there just aren't any lane like I remember seeing for JRob at times. Holloway is getting hit behind the line most of the time and while Aeris and Shump are pushing the pile for 3 yard they are both basically ducking their head and being a bulldozer.

Yes 4 yards are better than 1, but unless we open lanes nobody is popping anyting for a 10+ yard gain off an inside handoff.

fishwater99
09-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Probably because he's the head coach and knows the team and individual players better than anybody else on Earth. I'll admit that to me, running a 160 pounder straight at linemen who weigh twice as much doesn't sound great, but if he had decent blocking it wouldn't be as big an issue. And you gotta admit ... Holloway IS fast and isn't lumbering around like some of the fa ... larger ... players. And I like Holloway ... he gives more effort than just about any other player on the field. But he shouldn't be running up the middle. :) But we pay Mullen very well to make those decisions.

Holloway would be better used on sweeps and catching the ball out in space, not running it up the gut.
We have bigger backs that are more than capable of running between the tackles but they won't play because Dan thinks they are too young.

maroonmania
09-16-2016, 10:41 AM

Like I said, my only explanation is there is something missing with Dan in the common sense department even though he is very intelligent and probably THINKS he is more intelligent than he is. Don't how else you can explain a guy making some of the in game decisions he does like ONLY faking punts when he has a huge lead to protect. Yea, we have a huge lead so let's risk giving our opponent a short field to work on. Right, that makes a lot of sense.

TrapGame
09-16-2016, 10:42 AM
If we had another Hanrahan Knock-Their-Dick-Off FB then Holloway might get some extra yards.

maroonmania
09-16-2016, 10:45 AM

Seriously, can you name one other school in D1 college football that essentially runs a scatback between the tackles with the regularity we do? Its just asinine. Also, have you EVER seen the MSU fanbase as united as it is over this one issue. I sure haven't.

MadDawg
09-16-2016, 10:52 AM

LMAO

gravedigger
09-16-2016, 11:00 AM

Our qb didnt have any trouble

SallyStansbury
09-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Like I said, my only explanation is there is something missing with Dan in the common sense department even though he is very intelligent and probably THINKS he is more intelligent than he is. Don't how else you can explain a guy making some of the in game decisions he does like ONLY faking punts when he has a huge lead to protect. Yea, we have a huge lead so let's risk giving our opponent a short field to work on. Right, that makes a lot of sense.

6. Micromanagers control not results, but the procedure (how work gets done) They want everything to be done their way. That's why they call "my way of highway" type of bosses. They dismiss others' knowledge, experience and ideas-no matter how good-then hover over them to make sure they're doing things "right." First, control of methodology, or managers who insist on having the work done their way. This, says Chambers, is the essence of micromanagement?the behavior of exercising relentless control over the method by which work gets done?and it ranks number one on his micromanagement survey.

Coach Mullen paints himself into a corner with his, "In order for my version of the spread option to work we 100% have to..........establish the inside run with Holloway." I fear he tells us and himself that our patented zone blocking scheme which no doubt is flawlessly executed by our superior offensive line and running game coordinator has to have a back who understands how to "hit the hole" (there rarely are any) or "read the various block schemes" (rarely do they open up). So lets assume that Holloway gets it right most of the time; knows where to run, etc..... However the limiting factor is our shitty line and predictable play calling, not whether Holloway understands the scheme/philosophy. Maybe Williams or Lee or whomever "makes a mistake" according to Coach Mullen, misses a read, blah, blah, blah, but those bigger guys are consistently going to come away with more yards in the end than our 165 lb back. That is the reality of it, that is what the fans see, and that is why we are pissed to see 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 9 again and again. It puts us in a hole unnecessarily. We really can't afford this VS LSU. We are far too predictable with this tendency and Coach Mullen needs to tighten up.

The fake punt is understandable. We were beating that ass and it makes our opposition have to consider that we will try it. Props to our staff on that one.

blacklistedbully
09-16-2016, 11:59 AM
"Warts & all!"

Dan is ours...warts and all. He has brought so very much positive to our program, but he has also brought some warts that are frustrating as hell. We can't seem to rid ourselves of the warts without ridding ourselves of Dan, and all the positive he brings. While this looks to be, "on him", our choice seems to be, accept we will just have to live with those warts, or risk losing all the good that goes along with those warts.

So, were we to find a need to replace Dan, we can try like hell to get one without "warts" or with fewer or less ugly warts....but we will be gambling with the good he has brought to the program as well.

Quite the conundrum.

thf24
09-16-2016, 12:24 PM
The "if the blocking was better" angle doesn't hold water. If it was possible for all five of an o-line to fully execute their assignment on any given play with anything close to consistency, then you'd see backs on the elite teams averaging 10+ yards per carry and everyone would be playing Holloway's. Blocking in running plays is hardly ever going to set up according to plan all the way across the line, which is why you need to play a guy who's at least got a chance of shrugging off contact in traffic. I think we all get what Dan is trying to do with Holloway, but it just doesn't seem to be a plan for success in the P5, especially in the SEC.

Jarius
09-16-2016, 12:35 PM
The "if the blocking was better" angle doesn't hold water. If it was possible for all five of an o-line to fully execute their assignment on any given play with anything close to consistency, then you'd see backs on the elite teams averaging 10+ yards per carry and everyone would be playing Holloway's. Blocking in running plays is hardly ever going to set up according to plan all the way across the line, which is why you need to play a guy who's at least got a chance of shrugging off contact in traffic. I think we all get what Dan is trying to do with Holloway, but it just doesn't seem to be a plan for success in the P5, especially in the SEC.

Nah, I really don't think we all do. I mean I know I don't know what he's trying to accomplish. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity. It could very well cost us the game this weekend.

Todd4State
09-16-2016, 12:40 PM
6. Micromanagers control not results, but the procedure (how work gets done) They want everything to be done their way. That's why they call "my way of highway" type of bosses. They dismiss others' knowledge, experience and ideas-no matter how good-then hover over them to make sure they're doing things "right." First, control of methodology, or managers who insist on having the work done their way. This, says Chambers, is the essence of micromanagement?the behavior of exercising relentless control over the method by which work gets done?and it ranks number one on his micromanagement survey.

Coach Mullen paints himself into a corner with his, "In order for my version of the spread option to work we 100% have to..........establish the inside run with Holloway." I fear he tells us and himself that our patented zone blocking scheme which no doubt is flawlessly executed by our superior offensive line and running game coordinator has to have a back who understands how to "hit the hole" (there rarely are any) or "read the various block schemes" (rarely do they open up). So lets assume that Holloway gets it right most of the time; knows where to run, etc..... However the limiting factor is our shitty line and predictable play calling, not whether Holloway understands the scheme/philosophy. Maybe Williams or Lee or whomever "makes a mistake" according to Coach Mullen, misses a read, blah, blah, blah, but those bigger guys are consistently going to come away with more yards in the end than our 165 lb back. That is the reality of it, that is what the fans see, and that is why we are pissed to see 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 9 again and again. It puts us in a hole unnecessarily. We really can't afford this VS LSU. We are far too predictable with this tendency and Coach Mullen needs to tighten up.

The fake punt is understandable. We were beating that ass and it makes our opposition have to consider that we will try it. Props to our staff on that one.

Well said. I think that's why Dan plays the upperclassmen so much. He wants to "show" the underclassmen what happens if you do things "the Dan Mullen way". The problem is Dan assumed his way is infallible and when people point that out he can't handle it.

Todd4State
09-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Nah, I really don't think we all do. I mean I know I don't know what he's trying to accomplish. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity. It could very well cost us the game this weekend.

I'm not a zone read expert but my guess is what is happening is the opponents are forcing the read to go inside when Holloway is in the game since he isn't a threat on the inside. Now if that is true that's even more reason to let him sit or call plays where he has to go outside.

maroonmania
09-16-2016, 12:49 PM

The fake punt is not understandable unless you just want to agree with doing things that make no sense. Like in everything there is a risk/reward to making certain decisions. In last week's case (like the 2014 Auburn game where we were up 21-0) the risk of giving a short field to your opponent where they might jump back into the game is MUCH greater than the reward of keeping a drive going. So what if you make the first down you may end up punting after the next 3 downs but if you don't make it you've given your opponent about half as far to go to score as they would have had otherwise. Beyond that our fake punts have had a very low rate of success under Mullen anyway. We are better just to line up and go for it.

msbulldog
09-16-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm hoping Dan has us all fooled and comes out with power running game (with all the backs) against LSU.
I'm hoping he is truly cunning and is setting Les and Aranda up.

thf24
09-16-2016, 12:54 PM

I think it's obvious he wants big plays from him off the edge and swing/screen passes, and to open those up you have to establish the threat of the run up the middle when he's in the game. That would work pretty well in theory with perfect blocking, but in reality teams don't have to respect the middle when Holloway's in the game to start with because he goes down, sometimes flying, with the slightest contact. I think the disconnect is that Dan thinks so highly of his system that he's stubbornly holding onto the idea that it will work fine if/when the OL steps up and starts executing better.

Another problem is that even when Holloway does get free, he isn't the homerun threat that Dan wants him to be. He's quick and shifty and can make guys miss in the second level for a few extra yards, but he's not the speedster people seem to think he is. He was getting run down by Sunbelt linebackers in the opener. Maybe he runs a good 40 in drills, but it doesn't translate to the field.

preachermatt83
09-16-2016, 12:56 PM
P. R. I. D. E.

Apoplectic
09-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Dan has a plan with long term goals in mind. An early loss to USA does not bother him or affect his long term plan. If he can get one more four year contract then he is set for a nice florida retirement and probably an SECN gig. The bar is low here and the ESPN money is not earmarked. Play not to lose, don't take any criminal transfers, and hope for another Dak to pave the way.

MadDawg
09-16-2016, 01:28 PM
I think it's obvious he wants big plays from him off the edge and swing/screen passes, and to open those up you have to establish the threat of the run up the middle when he's in the game.

Holy crap. There is someone who gets it. Amazing.

And I'm not going to argue Holloway is the best for the job, but if he's going to be used you HAVE to attempt the inside run or the defense will crash the ends. It's football 101. Now if he's not the guy, replace him as 90% think should have already happened.

Y'alls favorite radio guy Bo Bounds claims that Bears don't waste plays running it up the middle. Now maybe he was just talking about "with 165lb RBs", and if so, I'll give him that. But I don't think he qualified it with that. I went and looked at their last game against Bama. The Bears ran it up the gut for <2 yards like 11 times in that game, not counting the end of the game when they were taking a knee. There really is a reason to run it up the gut, even for 1 or 2 yards.

SallyStansbury
09-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Well said. I think that's why Dan plays the upperclassmen so much. He wants to "show" the underclassmen what happens if you do things "the Dan Mullen way". The problem is Dan assumed his way is infallible and when people point that out he can't handle it.

No, I think Coach Mullen believes his system is infallible and that the players who have been in the program longest have the highest probability of executing a superior scheme properly. In his mind the only thing holding us back from beating Alabama, and well....South Alabama now, is execution.

Nevermind about talent, nevermind about tendencies, nevermind that this strategy fails consistently to work against UA, OM and TAM. I think those are teams that have great talent of course but also have D coordinators that shut our shit down because they see it coming and adjust accordingly. Note how we play CB's well off the line and rush D linemen straight ahead with minimal twists and stunts, doubt we will play, etc...and notice how our safeties are always deep protecting our CB's from "making a mistake" and getting beat deep. Notice that because our safeties are so deep we ask a LB to cover the entire middle of the field where teams like the above mentioned eat our shit up with passes completed over the middle *hitting receivers in stride*....for years we are like this. These teams stack the LOS scrimmage and dare us to take deep shots down the field but we don't because we are still running Holloway up the middle to "establish the run" or not make a mistake by throwing an interception? and busy proving that zone read will work, its just an execution problem, right? Croom had execution problems too.

Jarius
09-16-2016, 01:54 PM
The reason that I said that I don't know what he is trying to accomplish was because there is absolutely zero chance that what you laid out will be successful against a real defense and I just assumed that we hired a coach smart enough to know that what you just laid out will not work so he had some other hidden agenda that we can't see.

I think it's obvious he wants big plays from him off the edge and swing/screen passes, and to open those up you have to establish the threat of the run up the middle when he's in the game. That would work pretty well in theory with perfect blocking, but in reality teams don't have to respect the middle when Holloway's in the game to start with because he goes down, sometimes flying, with the slightest contact. I think the disconnect is that Dan thinks so highly of his system that he's stubbornly holding onto the idea that it will work fine if/when the OL steps up and starts executing better.

Another problem is that even when Holloway does get free, he isn't the homerun threat that Dan wants him to be. He's quick and shifty and can make guys miss in the second level for a few extra yards, but he's not the speedster people seem to think he is. He was getting run down by Sunbelt linebackers in the opener. Maybe he runs a good 40 in drills, but it doesn't translate to the field.

RougeDawg
09-16-2016, 01:56 PM
LMAO

Considering every RB not named Holloway is averaging over 4 YPC on the season and he's averaging 3.7 with 95% of his yards coming around the ends, I believe the evidence proves my point.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-16-2016, 03:15 PM
The problem I see with our inside running is there just aren't any lane like I remember seeing for JRob at times. Holloway is getting hit behind the line most of the time and while Aeris and Shump are pushing the pile for 3 yard they are both basically ducking their head and being a bulldozer.

Yes 4 yards are better than 1, but unless we open lanes nobody is popping anything for a 10+ yard gain off an inside hand-off.

This is a true statement, but based on your own logic (and keeping a simple example), it makes more sense not to run Holloway up the middle since 1+1+1 = punt whereas 4+4+4 = 1st down seems to be the smarter option.

Jack Lambert
09-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Asking an OL to make sure the RB goes untouched seems a little unrealistic Eh?

So what you are saying is the O line is ok? I am confused because you do a lot of bitching about the o line.

Todd4State
09-16-2016, 05:54 PM
So what you are saying is the O line is ok? I am confused because you do a lot of bitching about the o line.

They did suck- last year. Based on two games I would say that they look better to me. I'll withhold total judgement until after the LSU game because they had the most trouble against LSU, Alabama, and Ole Miss.

But I will say from where I sit in the stands I can see holes clearly opening up. And then you have the statistical evidence of Fitz and our other running backs performing well. That means that it's on Holloway- and Dan for running him up the middle.

craigmid
09-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Does a huge salary eliminate stubborness and complacency?

Goldendawg
09-16-2016, 08:00 PM
The proverbial "blind squirrel can find an acorn sometimes". May the football gods help us if Holliway ever breaks one up the middle for a 40 yd TD. No underclassman RB will ever see the field again under Dan until they are redshirt Seniors. (Since he's going up the middle tomorrow night anyway I hope it does happen).