PDA

View Full Version : Danny Etling

lamont
09-14-2016, 06:34 PM
has thrown 425 college passes and will be getting 1st team reps all week.

I suggest only betting on us if you tease us up

DeviousDawg
09-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Etling at Purdue:

55.5% completion percentage
16 TD
12 INT

Etling vs Jacksonville State:

6/14 (42.8%)
100 yards
1 TD
1 INT

I think some people need to pump the breaks a little bit. I'm not saying he won't have a good game but I see no reason to believe he is gonna come in and light the world on fire.

msstate7
09-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Etling lost the starting qb job midway thru this sophomore year at Purdue after starting the last 7 games his freshman year. As a starting qb, he's 2-10 (0-8 big 10 record). His wins were vs western Michigan and southern Illinois. In his big 10 starts, he avg'd 14 ppg, but was shut out twice and scored less than 10 4 times total. Appleby was the qb that replaced etling... Appleby lost his job entering this his senior season

missouridawg
09-14-2016, 06:59 PM
Danny Etling couldn't win the Purdue job. Purdue hasn't sniffed a bowl game in several years. In the Big10.

Lloyd Christmas
09-14-2016, 07:03 PM

We may lose, but it won't be because of Etling. Watch his highlights from the other threads. I came away feeling sorry for LSU fans that this is a QB they are excited about.

TUSK
09-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Etling may suck donkey balls, but that team sure as crap played harder without Harris on the field.

Commercecomet24
09-14-2016, 07:08 PM
You never know because it's lsu but this guy is extremely immobile and his arm is below average. IF I said IF we contain their running game(and I think we will) I like our chances.

HancockCountyDog
09-14-2016, 07:27 PM
We may lose by 20 points this weekend, if we do, it will be because our offense struggled to move the ball against their D.

Anyone expecting LSU to throw it around, hasn't been paying attention.

Dallas_Dawg
09-14-2016, 07:33 PM
He ain't no Mettenberger.
And Dupre ain't no OBJ

ShotgunDawg
09-14-2016, 07:58 PM
And Dupre ain't no OBJ

Rosebowl said in the Boneyard today that Dupre actually has more drops this year than catches.

LSU certainly has the ability to put it all together quickly, but, at this point, it feels like we are facing a uniform and recruiting ranking more than we are actually facing a good team.

msstate7
09-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Rosebowl said in the Boneyard today that Dupre actually has more drops this year than catches.

LSU certainly has the ability to put it all together quickly, but, at this point, it feels like we are facing a uniform and recruiting ranking more than we are actually facing a good team.

If dupre continues to drop passes, it would be huge for us bc I don't think we can cover him

HancockCountyDog
09-14-2016, 08:06 PM

I think we are going to find out a lot about our offense this week. LSU's defense is legit and I don't know what to think bout our offense. If we score 24 points, I'm not sure LSU can score 25.

msstate7
09-14-2016, 08:08 PM
I think we are going to find out a lot about our offense this week. LSU's defense is legit and I don't know what to think bout our offense. If we score 24 points, I'm not sure LSU can score 25.

We'll need a TO to get 24 imo.

Skydawg1
09-14-2016, 08:28 PM

I suggest only betting on us if you tease us upOh bother. Our offense is gonna give LSU Fitz.

Todd4State
09-14-2016, 08:38 PM

There are always a lot of mental hurdles for us when it comes to playing LSU. At least as far as the fans go.

Todd4State
09-14-2016, 08:40 PM

I think we find out a lot about our team period. I am concerned about our team playing at a high level for four quarters because we really haven't done that yet on either side of the ball.

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2016, 08:47 PM
If dupre continues to drop passes, it would be huge for us bc I don't think we can cover him

I'm sure he will be the 2nd coming of OBJ Saturday night. That's our luck

msstate7
09-14-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm sure he will be the 2nd coming of OBJ Saturday night. That's our luck

No doubt. He's much better than he's shown this year

Jack Lambert
09-14-2016, 09:03 PM
And Dupre ain't no OBJ

You talking about this Steve Urkel bastard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyi12TXVXJE

Spiderman
09-14-2016, 09:05 PM

If there is one thing I've learned thru the years it's that LSU, Bama and Ole Miss don't drop alot of passes against us when it matters.

Spiderman
09-14-2016, 09:13 PM

And our QB will be making his 1st road start at LSU. At night, at LSU.

That's rough even on a vet.

And least we forget, how have we done against LSU in the past 20 years? Much less down there?

I will say this, (and the John Bond era is proof), I had a Coonass buddy tell me LSU has always struggled against a good option QB.

They are gonna run it on us, and play action well enough. The question is, can we, and will we run the option well enough to beat them?

Because we damn sure won't throw for much on them.

RougeDawg
09-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Danny Etling couldn't win the Purdue job. Purdue hasn't sniffed a bowl game in several years. In the Big10.

Don't bring logic into this discussion. You know most of our fans seek and hope for someone or something they can talk about will be the reason we have no chance against one of the most anemic offenses in the SEC. A team with an unproven hand me down, retread QB and another QB tearing apart the locker room. None of this makes any sense. Since we lost to LSU for so many years because we had no offense, it doesn't register to most that we have had our shots against them when we have an offense and serviceable QB. When we have above average QB play we are in the game until the end (last two years) and have a chance to win or do win.

But carry on the poor old MSU mentality. I refuse to.

BB30
09-15-2016, 08:42 AM
More worried about our O moving the ball consistently than I am about Danny torching us.

lamont
09-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Etling won't have Purdue talent around him Saturday. And he is facing a weak secondary

Jarius
09-15-2016, 09:03 AM
He was facing a weak secondary last weekend and didn't complete a pass in the second half.

msstate7
09-15-2016, 09:08 AM
Etling won't have Purdue talent around him Saturday. And he is facing a weak secondary

He's Purdue talent... Well maybe not bc he lost his job there and transferred. He did hit the lottery landing on lsu though bc les is horrid at developing qb's

TrapGame
09-15-2016, 09:36 AM

If JVS's secondary that much better than ours?

lamont
09-15-2016, 09:36 AM
He was facing a weak secondary last weekend and didn't complete a pass in the second half.

He is career 55% completion QB that hadn't been getting any reps with the 1st team. He will most assuredly be better this week

msstate7
09-15-2016, 09:37 AM

Brandon Harris (career)...
186/346 (54%) 2,749 yds (7.9 per att) 20 td 10 int 97 rushes 370 yds (3.8 per att) 7 td

Etling (career)...
244/443 (55%) 2,590 yds (5.8 per att) 17 td 14 int 91 rushes -98 yds (-1.1 per att) 5 td

Also of note, Harris' stats were against sec competition and all at lsu. While at lsu, etling's stats vs jsu...

6/14 100 yards 1 td 1 int
3 rushes 6 yds 1 td

lamont
09-15-2016, 09:53 AM
You can post any stat you want. I expect him to be better Saturday than 6/14 for 100 yards

BB30
09-15-2016, 10:00 AM
LSU has more talent than us at every single position on the field except for QB and WR may be a push. They don't need Etling to have great stats, they just need him to not lose the game. Our offense will determine the outcome of this game. If we can find a way to move the ball consistently then we have a shot to win.

Tripp McNeely
09-15-2016, 10:05 AM
You can post any stat you want. I expect him to be better Saturday than 6/14 for 100 yards

Why?

msstate7
09-15-2016, 10:07 AM
LSU has more talent than us at every single position on the field except for QB and WR may be a push. They don't need Etling to have great stats, they just need him to not lose the game. Our offense will determine the outcome of this game. If we can find a way to move the ball consistently then we have a shot to win.

Couldn't the same thing have been said 2 years ago there? If talent is all lsu needs to win, their record would be much better under miles. Rarely are they outmatched with talent

TrapGame
09-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Why?

Because the agenda must flow.*

BB30
09-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Couldn't the same thing have been said 2 years ago there? If talent is all lsu needs to win, their record would be much better under miles. Rarely are they outmatched with talent

No, I don't think it can. Two different teams. Breaking in a new QB on the road with an O line that is not as good as the 14 line and Josh Robinson to take some pressure off of Dak. I hope yall are right. I just don't see it this year. I actually felt pretty good about the game in 14. And Miles record is pretty solid regardless especially against us. I am not saying we can't win or won't win the game I don't have an agenda to push and hope like hell we win this one I am just having a hard time seeing it.

lamont
09-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Why?

1. Because he knows all week he is starting instead of just having to warm up during the game and go in to play.
2. Because he has been getting 1st team reps all week to work on timing
3. Because their gameplan will be structured more toward the passes he throws better than others
4. Because he got some game reps last week for the 1st time since 2014

msstate7
09-15-2016, 10:36 AM
No, I don't think it can. Two different teams. Breaking in a new QB on the road with an O line that is not as good as the 14 line and Josh Robinson to take some pressure off of Dak. I hope yall are right. I just don't see it this year. I actually felt pretty good about the game in 14. And Miles record is pretty solid regardless especially against us. I am not saying we can't win or won't win the game I don't have an agenda to push and hope like hell we win this one I am just having a hard time seeing it.

2 years ago, which position groups of ours were more talented than lsu's? BTW, I think lsu wins 24-17... Just don't think we get demolished

TrapGame
09-15-2016, 10:37 AM
1. Because he knows all week he is starting instead of just having to warm up during the game and go in to play.
3. Because their gameplan will be structured more toward the passes he throws better than others

And then he'll magically turn into Tom Brady.

Tripp McNeely
09-15-2016, 11:04 AM

Does any of that game-planning or reps come with magical "talent-infusion beans"?

Jarius
09-15-2016, 11:08 AM
He is career 55% completion QB that hadn't been getting any reps with the 1st team. He will most assuredly be better this week

I don't think it should matter that you didn't get first team reps when your opponent is Jax State. He very well may come out and light our ass up, but nothing he has done in his past, including last week's performance points to that. Yes, he is getting more reps and a game plan. He's also getting that game plan and reps from some of the worst offensive coaches in our conference. We are also game planning for him and we are also much more talented on defense at every spot than the team he played last week. They will probably wear us down in the 4th and beat us, but I don't think it will be more than a 1 possession game late in the 4th.

Commercecomet24
09-15-2016, 11:28 AM

Why? That's just about his career average in a large sample. Face it, the guy is a very mediocre Qb.

RougeDawg
09-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Come on man!!!! You know logic is a foreign entity on this board. Rarely does it ever creep into the minds of most posters.

How could anyone not think any QB at any level will play better than 6-14? When you are at the f*cking bottom statistically, there is only one possible direction. You cannot conceivably get worse than the stats he put up last week against a shit defense. The safe "I told you so" prediction is better than 6 simpletons. Shit I could go out there Saturday and complete 7 to those receivers.

BB30
09-15-2016, 12:21 PM
2 years ago, which position groups of ours were more talented than lsu's? BTW, I think lsu wins 24-17... Just don't think we get demolished

I completely agree I think it will be a great game for 3 quarters or so. My point is I don't think Danny will be the deciding factor in this game, I think it will be our offensive play. And as for position groups that were better that year I think QB, WR, RB, an LBs go to state. I think the D line was a push. They had a better secondary, and O line in my opinion so yes I think we were just about as talented as them that year and having Dak and Jrob pushed it over the top.

And again Miles record is pretty good. Without looking it up I would guess it would be 1st or 2nd in the SEC over the last 5 years.

msstate7
09-15-2016, 12:36 PM
I completely agree I think it will be a great game for 3 quarters or so. My point is I don't think Danny will be the deciding factor in this game, I think it will be our offensive play. And as for position groups that were better that year I think QB, WR, RB, an LBs go to state. I think the D line was a push. They had a better secondary, and O line in my opinion so yes I think we were just about as talented as them that year and having Dak and Jrob pushed it over the top.

And again Miles record is pretty good. Without looking it up I would guess it would be 1st or 2nd in the SEC over the last 5 years.

LF was on that team... At no point in jrob's career was he more talented than LF. Now we certainly used jrob better than they used LF. They also had Kenny Hilliard drafted.

At lb, they jones (2nd round) and Alexander (4th) drafted. Beckwith this year will be another lb drafted off that team

BB30
09-15-2016, 12:44 PM
LF was on that team... At no point in jrob's career was he more talented than LF. Now we certainly used jrob better than they used LF. They also had Kenny Hilliard drafted.

At lb, they jones (2nd round) and Alexander (4th) drafted. Beckwith this year will be another lb drafted off that team

At LB we had B Mac, Bennie Brown , and Wells a Pretty solid group in their own right along with Richie. And as for RB he may have had more natural raw talent but he certainly was not the polished runner that he was last year. It took him a while to get going and having Dak in my opinion obviously benefited. I still think overall we were a Veteran team that was just about as talented as LSU that year with a QB that was a stud. I just don't think the comparison to 14 fits with this years team. And, obviously if you think we lose 24-17 you agree to some extent?

msstate7
09-15-2016, 12:58 PM
At LB we had B Mac, Bennie Brown , and Wells a Pretty solid group in their own right along with Richie. And as for RB he may have had more natural raw talent but he certainly was not the polished runner that he was last year. It took him a while to get going and having Dak in my opinion obviously benefited. I still think overall we were a Veteran team that was just about as talented as LSU that year with a QB that was a stud. I just don't think the comparison to 14 fits with this years team. And, obviously if you think we lose 24-17 you agree to some extent?

At this point, I don't even know what I'm arguing... I just like to argue at times haha

BB30
09-15-2016, 01:17 PM
At this point, I don't even know what I'm arguing... I just like to argue at times haha

Ha ha you are definitely one of the posters I enjoy reading and going back and forth with. No agenda just discussion which is a nice change of pace from most of what is posted here.