PDA

View Full Version : Question to the board...

DeviousDawg
09-14-2016, 03:55 PM
It's a hypothetical one, and one that really has no correct answer IMO. Thought it would be interesting to see what the board thought and I expect the answers to be just about split 50/50.

So, would you rather:

(a) be 2-1 with wins against South Carolina and LSU and a loss to South Alabama

or

(b) be 2-1 with wins against South Alabama and South Carolina with a close loss to LSU

I see pros and cons for both and have been going back and forth. Would you want a bad loss to a Sun Belt team with 2 SEC wins and momentum going forward or wins against USC and USA with an expected loss against LSU in DV?

DawgInMemphis
09-14-2016, 03:58 PM
It's a hypothetical one, and one that really has no correct answer IMO. Thought it would be interesting to see what the board thought and I expect the answers to be just about split 50/50.

So, would you rather:

or

(b) be 2-1 with wins against South Alabama and South Carolina with a close loss to LSU

I see pros and cons for both and have been going back and forth. Would you want a bad loss to a Sun Belt team with 2 SEC wins and momentum going forward or wins against USC and USA with an expected loss against LSU in DV?

2-0 in SEC play. No brainer to me.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2016, 04:01 PM

^^^^^ This

preachermatt83
09-14-2016, 04:01 PM

This!! All.Day.Long

RocketDawg
09-14-2016, 04:02 PM
a). The loss to USA was the first game of the year and will be forgotten by season's end. And we need all the SEC wins we can get.

MSUDawg99
09-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Nm

Bothrops
09-14-2016, 04:11 PM
I choose (a)

DeviousDawg
09-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Okay, what if we were 2-0 right now and I told you if you could go back and change the USA game to a loss we would get a win vs LSU. Would you still take it? Would be hard to take that IMO. Keep in mind this is a 8-4 LSU team this year, it's not like taking a win from Bama.

Dental Dawg33
09-14-2016, 04:12 PM
LSU win, hands down

dickiedawg
09-14-2016, 04:18 PM
LSU win, hands down.

Commercecomet24
09-14-2016, 04:19 PM
I'll take what is 2 sec wins for $500, Alex.

oildawg
09-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Beat LSU. No doubt about it.

In fact, if we get bowl eligible by winning some of these toss-up games, the impact of the loss to USA is minimized. TSUN made the Sugar Bowl last year, despite the loss the Memphis. I am hoping things develop similar to that for us this year.

DeviousDawg
09-14-2016, 04:32 PM

In fact, if we get bowl eligible by winning some of these toss-up games, the impact of the loss to USA is minimized. TSUN made the Sugar Bowl last year, despite the loss the Memphis. I am hoping things develop similar to that for us this year.

True, but Memphis was a 9 win team with a first round quarterback last year. South Alabama just lost at home to Georgia Southern 24-9. The losses aren't very comparable.

Taog Redloh
09-14-2016, 04:34 PM

They won't. South Alabama sucks, and Memphis was good.

The OP's question is irrelevant because it's extremely unlikely that anyone who loses to South Alabama will ever beat LSU on the road.

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Give me 2-0 SEC all day every day.

Johnson85
09-14-2016, 04:52 PM

So, would you rather:

or

Surprised you would think this would be anything close to 50-50. Everyone is going to take the 2 SEC wins along with a bad loss. A better question, which is probably not possible to answer, is which scenario is better for fan enjoyment. It's an easy choice if you're looking at it after the fact. But if you think about how fans feel during the process, I think it's a closer question.

Losing to USA made people miserable for a week. Beating USCe relieved the misery and at least let fans believe we can get to a 5-6 win season, and if we beat LSU, fans will be pretty excited and come back down again assuming we get back on a 5-7 win track.

On the other hand, we beat USA, people are concerned for a week, then the USCe makes them feel better, losing to LSU confirms people's fears that we are a 6-7 win team tops, and the season is just sort of meh. No real high, no real low.

If you compare the two, you end up with the feeling of a mediocre season, but only one of the two scenarios results in people being miserable for a week. And beating a down LSU team won't get people elated at this point. I think most people's actual experience would be better with a USA win and an LSU loss.

BulldogBear
09-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Surprised you would think this would be anything close to 50-50. Everyone is going to take the 2 SEC wins along with a bad loss. A better question, which is probably not possible to answer, is which scenario is better for fan enjoyment. It's an easy choice if you're looking at it after the fact. But if you think about how fans feel during the process, I think it's a closer question.

Losing to USA made people miserable for a week. Beating USCe relieved the misery and at least let fans believe we can get to a 5-6 win season, and if we beat LSU, fans will be pretty excited and come back down again assuming we get back on a 5-7 win track.

On the other hand, we beat USA, people are concerned for a week, then the USCe makes them feel better, losing to LSU confirms people's fears that we are a 6-7 win team tops, and the season is just sort of meh. No real high, no real low.

If you compare the two, you end up with the feeling of a mediocre season, but only one of the two scenarios results in people being miserable for a week. And beating a down LSU team won't get people elated at this point. I think most people's actual experience would be better with a USA win and an LSU loss.

This^

I think 2-1 with wins over SC and LSU make it easier to chalk the first one up to what is was....a fluke. Lead 17-0 at the half and choke because you let off the gas and thought they'd quit.

Win the first two, especially if first one was only 23-21, then go lose down in BR and it just stays business as usual.

Should you by some good fortune plus good play and coaching, pull of some unforeseen but stupendous 9-3, 6-2 SEC record, no one will really think much of opening day loss. Remember when VPI opened with losses to Boise State and James Madison then proceeded to go 10-2?

Turfdawg67
09-14-2016, 06:06 PM

So, would you rather:

or

(b)... 2-0 in the SEC and many teams lose to lesser teams early in the season and use it for momentum the rest of the year.

fader2103
09-14-2016, 06:11 PM
2-1 with the Loss to USA. 2-0 in the SEC is a huge advantage

I_Spy
09-14-2016, 06:14 PM
I find the win streak preferable to build confidence and momentum. If we do push through LSU and push over UMAss, I will feel good about auburn and then I will be at fan height I think. In an enjoyable year and I think we can do it.

lamont
09-14-2016, 06:29 PM
How did DD34 post while I was managing my shift at Taco Bell???

Mind Blown

Dolphus Raymond
09-14-2016, 06:34 PM
2-0 in the SEC, but losing to USA still sucks beyond all comprehension.

DeviousDawg
09-14-2016, 06:42 PM
How did DD34 post while I was managing my shift at Taco Bell???

Mind Blown

Benefits of working at Taco Bell? Free tacos! Trust me, I have plenty of time on the shitter to get a post or two inn. Multi-tasking at it's finest!

Todd4State
09-14-2016, 06:58 PM
True, but Memphis was a 9 win team with a first round quarterback last year. South Alabama just lost at home to Georgia Southern 24-9. The losses aren't very comparable.

Fortunately the bowls don't know the difference unless we're talking National Playoff here.

Dawgtini
09-14-2016, 07:17 PM
2-0 in SEC play. No brainer to me. this is the correct answer

lastmajordog
09-14-2016, 07:48 PM
Beat the shiite muslim out of LSU........let the chips fall ...

Apoplectic
09-14-2016, 09:24 PM

So, would you rather:

or

C) 3 - 0