PDA

View Full Version : Montravious Richardson?

Tripp McNeely
09-14-2016, 12:10 PM
IYOK, I asked Paul's opinion, but I'll get yours as well.

Assuming Richardson's a take tonight, if you were to rate out our remaining HS OLs (the coaches' board...or your best guess at that), where would he rank?

Also, what would that list look like?

Lastly, I'm assuming we'd probably only take on more juco OL, and one more interior HS OL?

Big4Dawg
09-14-2016, 12:15 PM
idk how i feel about Richardson but we'll see. Only other offer is Georgia State.

Only other guy we have some CB to is Josh Cooper.

http://247sports.com/player/josh-cooper-83968

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2016, 12:32 PM
I don't know what to say. They liked him at Big Dawg camp & offered the next day. I thought it may not be committable but on Sept 1 he received an official offer like the rest of our guys so I knew he was a take. I really don't know enough about him to say yes he's a diamond in the rough or no I wouldn't take him. I know where most will fall on their opinions & I can't be mad at them for it. Concerning the rest of our OL board. Josh Cooper but he has grade issues, Toryque Bateman we're sitting 3rd behind Michigan & TN. I don't think he will be a take for Michigan so it becomes an issue of whether we can overcome TN or TN fills up. Caleb Chandler is chasing an UGA offer that's never going to come. I don't know who he's looking at besides them. He always list us in his favorites but he hasn't been to campus. Jerry Drake is another kid. I actually like Jerry. I would say MSU, UNC, & Pitt are his top 3. I don't know how hard we're pushing. I don't know if we take 1 more Juco kid or not. D'Marcus Hayes is the obvious name but he's been leaning Auburn lately. I hear different things on Hayes. Some people really like him & others think he's not a SEC OL. I've even had some tell me if he plays SEC it will be inside because they don't think he's quick enough for OT. Tramonda Moore who's Emmitt Gooden roommate in Juco is another kid who we're on very heavy. We're not sure if he will be a Summer 2017 guy or December 2018. He's trying his best to get out this summer to have 4 to play 3 but we'll see. All in all on the OL I really like Champion & Suggs. Gainer I think will be a very solid Center for us in a few years & we'll see on Phillips & Richardson.

Tripp McNeely
09-14-2016, 01:23 PM
I don't know what to say. They liked him at Big Dawg camp & offered the next day. I thought it may not be committable but on Sept 1 he received an official offer like the rest of our guys so I knew he was a take. I really don't know enough about him to say yes he's a diamond in the rough or no I wouldn't take him. I know where most will fall on their opinions & I can't be mad at them for it. Concerning the rest of our OL board. Josh Cooper but he has grade issues, Toryque Bateman we're sitting 3rd behind Michigan & TN. I don't think he will be a take for Michigan so it becomes an issue of whether we can overcome TN or TN fills up. Caleb Chandler is chasing an UGA offer that's never going to come. I don't know who he's looking at besides them. He always list us in his favorites but he hasn't been to campus. Jerry Drake is another kid. I actually like Jerry. I would say MSU, UNC, & Pitt are his top 3. I don't know how hard we're pushing. I don't know if we take 1 more Juco kid or not. D'Marcus Hayes is the obvious name but he's been leaning Auburn lately. I hear different things on Hayes. Some people really like him & others think he's not a SEC OL. I've even had some tell me if he plays SEC it will be inside because they don't think he's quick enough for OT. Tramonda Moore who's Emmitt Gooden roommate in Juco is another kid who we're on very heavy. We're not sure if he will be a Summer 2017 guy or December 2018. He's trying his best to get out this summer to have 4 to play 3 but we'll see. All in all on the OL I really like Champion & Suggs. Gainer I think will be a very solid Center for us in a few years & we'll see on Phillips & Richardson.

Where would you put the odds on Jerry Drake and Epson?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2016, 01:28 PM
I don't know if I can put odds on them. I forgot to add Epson & Saadhiq Charles. Charles came to the South Alabama game. We'll see how it shakes out.

Tripp McNeely
09-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Is there a fear (hopefully) that Richardson might blow up once grades appear achievable?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Is there a fear (hopefully) that Richardson might blow up once grades appear achievable?

No idea. I know Oregon St & West Virginia have been talking to him but outside of that I don't know who else is on him or will be.

youraveragesavage
09-14-2016, 02:24 PM
What about jalen bell from Amory? Is he a take?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2016, 02:36 PM
What about jalen bell from Amory? Is he a take?

No

msstate7
09-14-2016, 02:40 PM
OT, but this is an oline thread (sort of)...

Did Reese dress out first game bc of no depth at his position or do we feel he could play this year if required? In other words, do we feel Reese is a player?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2016, 02:52 PM
OT, but this is an oline thread (sort of)...

Did Reese dress out first game bc of no depth at his position or do we feel he could play this year if required? In other words, do we feel Reese is a player?

He dressed out both games but we hope to RS him. They feel like he can be a very good player though.

youraveragesavage
09-14-2016, 02:53 PM
No

Did we not offer bell? Seem to remember Steve talking about it.

HancockCountyDog
09-14-2016, 02:58 PM
I have no idea where we are on his list, but I've been told from a few juco coaches that we are all over the Hayes kid at Perk. He most likely is the best JUCO OL in the state this year, and would push for playing time immediately next year at OT.

Thick
09-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Saadiq Charles is big, strong, and has good feet, but he's soft. He's not physical enough, and stands around a lot! I'm not saying that he cannot play, but he will really have to change his demeanor on the field, and we are just talking about HS. When he gets to college, he COULD turn into a project/bust.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Did we not offer bell? Seem to remember Steve talking about it.

We offered before his Jr year but he hasn't developed like we hoped & we haven't been on him for a while.

mic
09-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Go OUTSIDE the state of Miss and get some guys.. And not "developmental" guys..
That's the answer to our OL issues.
And we can't rely only on TBuck and other position coaches to get these guys for us..

HancockCountyDog
09-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Go OUTSIDE the state of Miss and get some guys.. And not "developmental" guys..
That's the answer to our OL issues.
And we can't rely only on TBuck and other position coaches to get these guys for us..

By this time of year, recruiting is basically over as far as targeting new guys. We just have to hope that we close on guys like Hayes or that Charles changes him mind. I have heard different things on him. I keep hearing that he looks great in these camps, but you put the pads on and he just doesn't stand out. I haven't seen him play this year. I saw them play last year and he didn't stand out to me.

Percho
09-14-2016, 09:30 PM
committed I think.

civildawg
09-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Man Georgia state is going to be pissed. Hev pulling in the starz

msstate7
09-14-2016, 09:37 PM
Man Georgia state is going to be pissed. Hev pulling in the starz

Taking him early gives me some hope he can be a decent player. If we took him in February, I'd be more concerned.

Leroy Jenkins
09-14-2016, 09:37 PM
I've said it before, but, there have to be some honkey dudes in Wisconsin that want to play SEC football.

QuadrupleOption
09-14-2016, 10:59 PM
I've said it before, but, there have to be some honkey dudes in Wisconsin that want to play SEC football.

Or some big, grain-fed mother****ers in Nebraska or Iowa that want to get in on some SEC action as well.

Commercecomet24
09-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Richardson committed to us tonight.

youraveragesavage
09-14-2016, 11:45 PM
6'7, 300. I'll take it

dawgday166
09-15-2016, 05:55 AM

There sure are. And a lot of them tend to go to Iowa, Wisconsin, or other mid-tier Big 10 schools then on the the League. Hell, Michigan State has risen to the upper-tier of the Big 10 with those types of Olinemen. Big steak and corn fed/farm bred dudes.

We tend to extend (according to Scout this year and most years) 2 offers to 4* OTs, then a bunch of 3 star developmental guys within a 250 mile radius of Starkville. Just damn lazy in recruiting is what that is.

Does anyone ever expect to finish higher than 4th in the West? And most years 5th or 6th; only because there is usually at least 1 (and most years 2) train wreck programs in the West each year.

ETA: You combine the corn fed mid-west dudes with some Jeffrey Simmons/Preston Smith/Chris Jones types that are within a 150 mile radius of Starkville, and you'd have what you need to control both sides of the LOS most every weekend.

dawgday166
09-15-2016, 05:57 AM
6'7, 300. I'll take it

That's good ... can he MOVE his feet? Probably moves like he's in concrete.

ShotgunDawg
09-15-2016, 07:10 AM
Gotta wonder if this scholarship would have been better used going to a kicker?

I've never really understood why MSU doesn't go out and try to get the best kicker in the country. I can think of at least two games in the past year that we would've won with a better kicker. Other than QB, can any other position say that?

No one wants to gives kickers a scholarship or recruit them like 4 and 5 star players. They'd rather give that scholly to a 3 star OL that will never play while the kicker that you didn't recruit decides 2-4 games per year for you.

Can anyone explain this?

starkvegasdawg
09-15-2016, 07:52 AM

I've never really understood why MSU doesn't go out and try to get the best kicker in the country. I can think of at least two games in the past year that we would've won with a better kicker. Other than QB, can any other position say that?

No one wants to gives kickers a scholarship or recruit them like 4 and 5 star players. They'd rather give that scholly to a 3 star OL that will never play while the kicker that you didn't recruit decides 2-4 games per year for you.

Can anyone explain this?

Maybe she's still available.

http://media.gq.com/photos/5583183809f0bee56441184d/master/pass/slideshows-mens-standalone-gq-feature-080107-sports-00007f.jpg

Tripp McNeely
09-15-2016, 08:12 AM

Can anyone explain this?

We've actually recently started to make a move for this guy: http://247sports.com/Player/Joseph-Bulovas-90269

maroonmania
09-15-2016, 08:28 AM

Can anyone explain this?

Seriously, when is the last time we won a game on a last second FG since the 99 Egg Bowl?? I was trying to think about this the other day. Every last minute FG try for a win I can think of (USA '16, LSU '15, Egg Bowl '13) we have missed. When is the last game we hit a FG in the last minute of a game that was a game winner?

DancingRabbit
09-15-2016, 08:32 AM
That's good ... can he MOVE his feet? Probably moves like he's in concrete.

Here's his Hudl video. Nothing outstanding jumps out at you, but he seems to move OK.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3204587/5721e3259a90ec5540acdaf1

StatesboroBlues
09-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Taking him early gives me some hope he can be a decent player. If we took him in February, I'd be more concerned.

I don't know...

Following are early commitments (before Sept) for this staff...2010-2015.

Clausell
Redmond
Knox
Desper
Carter
Flowers
Cayborn
Thomas
Johnson
Moon

In all reality we have hit as good a percentage on late offers...though a smaller pool.

Eric Lawson
Dillon Day
Cochran
Jenkins

Obviously this does not take into account players offered early and did not commit until late or committed early and dropped. The above is not a good enough percentage of hits to make me feel one way or the other...seems we could have slow played this guy.

Harrydawg
09-15-2016, 09:52 AM
We don't need to give hope on Sediq Charles from MRA. He is big on Les Miles and old Les
may not be there. He likes MSU....

msstate7
09-15-2016, 09:54 AM
I don't know...

Clausell
Redmond
Knox
Desper
Carter
Flowers
Cayborn
Thomas
Johnson
Moon

In all reality we have hit as good a percentage on late offers...though a smaller pool.

Eric Lawson
Dillon Day
Cochran
Jenkins

Obviously this does not take into account players offered early and did not commit until late or committed early and dropped. The above is not a good enough percentage of hits to make me feel one way or the other...seems we could have slow played this guy.

Who asked ya? Haha

I'm just hoping we actually like the kid and not just reaching out bc we don't feel good about others

dawgday166
09-15-2016, 09:57 AM
I don't know...

Clausell
Redmond
Knox
Desper
Carter
Flowers
Cayborn
Thomas
Johnson
Moon

Eric Lawson
Dillon Day
Cochran
Jenkins

Is there anyone on this list that could block Bammer's 4th string True FR D Tackle? Day & Clausell may have a chance.

msstate7
09-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Is there anyone on this list that could block Bammer's 4th string True FR D Tackle? Day & Clausell may have a chance.

Jury still out on Jenkins and moon. I think Jenkins has promise.

dawgday166
09-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Jury still out on Jenkins and moon. I think Jenkins has promise.

I hope you're right. I thought Jenkins showed promise last year too, but this year I haven't been as impressed so far.