PDA

View Full Version : Danny Etling - RAT. Too easy....

Taog Redloh
09-14-2016, 10:43 AM
I bet he drops 300+ yards on Smokey and Durr.

blacklistedbully
09-14-2016, 10:52 AM
6-of-14 for 100 yds vs FCS Jacksonville State...and 47 of those yards on a busted coverage by JSU.

None of this is to say I think we'll pull the upset. I honestly do not know what's likely to happen. We look strong vs the run...a strength for LSU. We are very vulnerable at the corner spots...but passing has been a weakness for LSU.

Does LSU's run game trump our run defense, or does our run defense trump LSU's run game?

Does LSU's passing game, though poor, thrive vs a couple of inexperienced corners that have been torched so far this year, or does their QB struggle, mitigating this weakness for us. There is also the possibility our young corners simply improve with game experience. They did play better vs SCar than they did S. Bama.

Another difficult game to call, IMO. I would not be shocked if we outright won, but also would not be shocked if we get hammered. Too many questions remain unanswered at this point...for both teams.

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2016, 10:59 AM

You would love that wouldn't you.

TrapGame
09-14-2016, 11:01 AM
I bet A.J. Jefferson gives him nightmares. He's not as mobile as Harris.

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2016, 11:03 AM
What's their OL like this year?

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2016, 11:04 AM
What's their OL like this year?

Suppose to be really good but they have disappointed so far

msstate7
09-14-2016, 11:14 AM

I added it all up on tRant... Don't feel like looking it up again, but Etling has about 96 career rushes for -98 yards

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Suppose to be really good but they have disappointed so far

So everything is lining up for them to put it all together Saturday.

1. Apparent QB controversy and possibly a split locker room.
2. First round talent RB may be hurt but maybe not.
3. Talented OL has underachieved so far this season.

Against any other team those problems would continue. But with our luck, they will have a possum run out on the practice field Thursday and it will cause the entire team to lock arms, sing Amazing Grace, and get all of these issues worked out just in time for us to come in to play them. Only for that possum to end up in some Cajun's stew pot Sunday morning and everything fall apart again as soon as our bus pulls out of town.

DancingRabbit
09-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Etling's highlights from last Saturday. He looks a little better than his stat line, but I think we can rattle him with a decent pass rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZfwCgVfATY

Dawgtini
09-14-2016, 11:28 AM

Against any other team those problems would continue. But with our luck, they will have a possum run out on the practice field Thursday and it will cause the entire team to lock arms, sing Amazing Grace, and get all of these issues worked out just in time for us to come in to play them. Only for that possum to end up in some Cajun's stew pot Sunday morning and everything fall apart again as soon as our bus pulls out of town.

This can work with my theory that they will start the new qb and we will dominate. We will crush him so badly on our 9th or 10th sack that Harris will have to be inserted into the game and he will reprise his role from 2014, only this time with an entire quarter or two to work. Oh, and a possum.

Dental Dawg33
09-14-2016, 11:58 AM

Throw Simmons in at least 70% of the time with AJ and boyyyyy you've got some heat coming at the kid

MetEdDawg
09-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Throw Simmons in at least 70% of the time with AJ and boyyyyy you've got some heat coming at the kid

We need to stay away from three man fronts in this game. I like Simmons in but we need a 4 man front. Somebody on our DL beats an OL on virtually every play when we go 4 down. But if we give LSU time to throw with a drop 8 three man rush we will get picked apart. Our DL is really good when we have 4 down. Need to stay with that.

But we won't. When we get in 3rd and long we will drop 8 and give up big yards instead of putting pressure on the QB. And there will be series where we go 3 down the entire time.

GTHOM
09-14-2016, 12:17 PM

I bet he doesnt. 0-6 in the 2nd half vs JSU. Thats about as bad as losing to USA right?? But somehow some people think the USA game will cost us this game. We see this every year from LSU he doesnt scare me

HSVDawg
09-14-2016, 12:18 PM
We need to stay away from three man fronts in this game. I like Simmons in but we need a 4 man front. .

I think Simmons and AJ will both be in and be productive regardless if it is a 3 man or 4 man front. And just because it's a 3 man front doesn't mean we'll only rush that many. Probably see a lot of Green and Lewis blitzing out of those formations. I'm not worried at all about the pressure aspect. It's whether or not our corners will be able to lock on long enough for the pressure to cause sacks and bad decisions that is the biggest question.

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2016, 12:25 PM
I would love to see this as our front 7.

http://i.imgur.com/e5IwDZz.png

Todd4State
09-14-2016, 12:30 PM

I like it!

dparker
09-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Hahaha. Spoken like someone who has been paying attention to MSU for a long time. :)

Joe Schmedlap
09-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Our corners will make any LSU QB look good. Our run defense is good. Fournette is elite. We will counter the LSU beast mode defensive line with a 150 pound munchkin. LSU wins this one comfortably.

TrapGame
09-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Point of order: Question about the true definition of RAT.

Isn't the RAT the guy not starting but the guy thrown in at the last minute win all else fails? If Ertling starts Saturday night by definition he would not be the RAT.

Dawg61
09-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I added it all up on tRant... Don't feel like looking it up again, but Etling has about 96 career rushes for -98 yards

Negative 98 yards?! Must be Nick Lachey's failed 2nd boy band. Don't think we gotta worry about running QB contain this week.

Jack Lambert
09-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Etling's highlights from last Saturday. He looks a little better than his stat line, but I think we can rattle him with a decent pass rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZfwCgVfATY

Not impress and he peter out at the end.

ShotgunDawg
09-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Etling didn't complete a pass in the 2nd half last weekend.

BeastMan
09-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Point of order: Question about the true definition of RAT.

Isn't the RAT the guy not starting but the guy thrown in at the last minute win all else fails? If Ertling starts Saturday night by definition he would not be the RAT.

Random Asshole Theory

MSUDawg99
09-14-2016, 02:02 PM

OR the disgruntled fans could be secretly hoping they lose so they can get rid of Miles & Co. on Mon.

TrapGame
09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Random Asshole Theory

I know but if he starts Saturday then he's not the random asshole coming off the bench in the 4th quarter to f*** everything up.

RougeDawg
09-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Our corners will make any LSU QB look good. Our run defense is good. Fournette is elite. We will counter the LSU beast mode defensive line with a 150 pound munchkin. LSU wins this one comfortably.

Healthy Fournette is elite. They'll get at best 80% from him to start out and that will dwindle as we tackle him. That ankle is worse off than they are letting on.

BB30
09-14-2016, 03:21 PM
It is a winnable game but our secondary has to step up and not just get downright beat on plays. I don't think they have to play perfect but there can't be 15 yds between a db and a receiver. If they can just be competitive and keep the throwing windows somewhat tight he will make mistakes.

bulldawg28
09-14-2016, 03:25 PM

With the exception of Lewis I'd replace one of the LB's with Jung. He's quietly made plays each week.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-14-2016, 06:26 PM
We need to stay away from three man fronts in this game. I like Simmons in but we need a 4 man front. Somebody on our DL beats an OL on virtually every play when we go 4 down. But if we give LSU time to throw with a drop 8 three man rush we will get picked apart. Our DL is really good when we have 4 down. Need to stay with that.

But we won't. When we get in 3rd and long we will drop 8 and give up big yards instead of putting pressure on the QB. And there will be series where we go 3 down the entire time.

Unless a light bulb goes off in Mullen's head this is exactly how this game will unfold.

JohnnyQuid
09-14-2016, 10:14 PM

for the better part of my life that I can remember concerning football playing lsu , especially at lsu, is a complete nightmare. even the rare times we were supposed to be better than them we were dominated.

as you said - I all but expect all their offensive struggles to vanish against us. and im scared if things go bad early the wheels could fall off and get ugly. hopefully I'm wrong and that's the years of usual beat downs talking

RougeDawg
09-15-2016, 08:24 AM
It is a winnable game but our secondary has to step up and not just get downright beat on plays. I don't think they have to play perfect but there can't be 15 yds between a db and a receiver. If they can just be competitive and keep the throwing windows somewhat tight he will make mistakes.

Our best pass coverage will be a consistent pass rush. This dude looked bad against a JSU lass rush. Our full defense will be pressuring (or should be) all night. We need to pressure from all sides and even show it when we don't. Brand new QB in his first SEC game, he will be easily confused and will start seeing ghosts of we get to him early and often. I feel that miles is going to stick to ground and pound early to see what happens and then air it out of needed. He's not going to beat himself and this means not throwing much if not needed.

WSOPdawg
09-15-2016, 08:58 AM
I agree with JSchmedlap, our corners (and scheme) unfortunately have the ability to make Etling look like Peyton Manning. Maybe after I see our D shut down a team not know for passing, then I'll have more confidence in the secondary. South Carolina was a good start, but do it better this week against LSU and I'll be not he Sirmon/Buckley train.