PDA

View Full Version : How bad must the other RB's be in pass pro?

lamont
09-13-2016, 06:32 AM
Cause Holloway can't block a damn soul. He may know who to block, but he gets absolutely blown up when he tries to block. Looks like an 8th grader out there trying to block.

Developmental Program

starkvegasdawg
09-13-2016, 06:38 AM
No way they can be worse. A potted plant out there could offer better pass protection because at least the defender would have to go around it.

msstate7
09-13-2016, 06:44 AM
I'm just glad we won in dominating fashion (290 rushing yards to 34 and 485 yards of total offense to 243) after you assured us that South Carolina would give us all we wanted or something similar

lamont
09-13-2016, 07:06 AM
We won by 13 points. It was hardly a blowout

Dawgface
09-13-2016, 07:12 AM
13 points after being down 24. Game was always under control.

msstate7
09-13-2016, 07:18 AM

If we get outrushed 290 to 34 and give up 485 yards to 243, but lose 27-14 Saturday night will you say we played them tough? I won't... We'll have got our fudge packed.

You know how bad it was... Holloway, terrible as he was, out rushed sc's team by 14 yards Saturday night

Dawg61
09-13-2016, 07:48 AM

Shoulda been 48-13. We beat that ass.

bulldawg28
09-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Cause Holloway can't block a damn soul. He may know who to block, but he gets absolutely blown up when he tries to block. Looks like an 8th grader out there trying to block.

Developmental Program

I'm sure you'd know, right? Holloway did very little pass blocking during the SC game. He was sent on routes. Do you always prefer being a debbie downer?

thf24
09-13-2016, 08:04 AM
It's not just Holloway. Shump being a great blocker is a myth. Yeah he lays the lumber when he makes contact, but he whiffs constantly. Way too much to justify his label as a poor tailback but plus blocker. For all that though I'd rather see him get the majority of the carries over Holloway if the choice is between the two of them. He seems to be taking the ball and immediately getting downfield this year instead of dancing, which has made him look significantly improved in his limited touches so far.

RougeDawg
09-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Holloway's bull fighter pass blocking is the last straw that completely exposes Dan's bullshit philosophy of "play seniority". Supposedly the main reason young guys don't see the field at RB, but Micro Machine Holloway would have trouble blocking a sneeze back there.

AROB44
09-13-2016, 08:24 AM
I'm sure you'd know, right? Holloway did very little pass blocking during the SC game. He was sent on routes. Do you always prefer being a debbie downer?

Yes he does.....He stays that way because he always knows more than any coach we have...Mullen, Cohen and soon it will be Howland. I guess he is now working his way up from academy level to eventually take over at MSU and lead us to heights never before reached. It's a shame I will be long gone by then.

BB30
09-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Beating a dead horse over and over and over and over. Agenda is strong in this one. It is funny all of the Anti Mullen people are freaking out now that our team showed a little life.

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2016, 08:28 AM

Developmental Program
Im not allowed to say it, but you know.

Really Clark?
09-13-2016, 08:29 AM

Come on dude. Turn the ball over on downs, an INT deep inside the red zone and we are kneeling inside the 10 to end the game. There are blowouts on scoreboards and there are on the field blowouts. We blew them out on the field

bulldawg28
09-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Beating a dead horse over and over and over and over. Agenda is strong in this one. It is funny all of the Anti Mullen people are freaking out now that our team showed a little life.

Freaking out in an understatement. They'd almost prefer we lose and Ole Miss win to have more to compare and bitch about. It's pathetic and anti bulldog.

Todd4State
09-13-2016, 08:55 AM
If we get outrushed 290 to 34 and give up 485 yards to 243, but lose 27-14 Saturday night will you say we played them tough? I won't... We'll have got our fudge packed.

You know how bad it was... Holloway, terrible as he was, out rushed sc's team by 14 yards Saturday night

With Holloway running up the middle a majority of the time.

Todd4State
09-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Freaking out in an understatement. They'd almost prefer we lose and Ole Miss win to have more to compare and bitch about. It's pathetic and anti bulldog.

If Dan goes 10-2 with an Egg Bowl win I have no problem with that. I might send South Alabama a thank you note for waking his ass up.

BB30
09-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Yea, it is rather sad. And, if and when Mullen leaves whether it is this year or 10 years from now the same group will be complaining about the next coach we hire. It is a never ending process.

And, I do not necessarily agree with Holloway up the middle as much as it is called but you have to call it every now and then to keep the outside run in play. Otherwise, every time he was in the game teams would just key on swing passes and outside runs. Now near the goal line I don't get it. But, you have to show that occasionally.

lamont
09-13-2016, 09:06 AM

What agenda is that exactly? I just don't understand how facts become an agenda. You agenda people lost that battle when we lost to South Alabama. It was clearly not an agenda when I said we wouldnt be very good- we simply aren't very good.

1. Holloway cannot block- that is a fact. There is plenty of video proof.
2. We won by 13 points Saturday- that is a fact. There is plenty of video proof.

Nobody is freaking out over the team showing some life. It's quite the opposite. I love watching a QB that can #RTGDF. I don't have Scoreboard Club seats because I want to watch a team look like shit I assure you. Nobody in our group of 15 people at the game was unhappy we were winning.

I won't however get overly excited about beating a bad football team with almost no offensive weapons. We are facing a different bunch of animals Saturday night on the road. This will be Fitz's 1st road game and playing in front of 100K isn't easy. He should have had at least 3 picks Saturday- LSU's D is going to bring more pressure and will have people that can tackle in space. Hopefully our D can keep them in check until he settles in Saturday night.

TimberBeast
09-13-2016, 09:24 AM
What agenda is that exactly? I just don't understand how facts become an agenda. You agenda people lost that battle when we lost to South Alabama. It was clearly not an agenda when I said we wouldnt be very good- we simply aren't very good.

1. Holloway cannot block- that is a fact. There is plenty of video proof.
2. We won by 13 points Saturday- that is a fact. There is plenty of video proof.

Nobody is freaking out over the team showing some life. It's quite the opposite. I love watching a QB that can #RTGDF. I don't have Scoreboard Club seats because I want to watch a team look like shit I assure you. Nobody in our group of 15 people at the game was unhappy we were winning.

I won't however get overly excited about beating a bad football team with almost no offensive weapons. We are facing a different bunch of animals Saturday night on the road. This will be Fitz's 1st road game and playing in front of 100K isn't easy. He should have had at least 3 picks Saturday- LSU's D is going to bring more pressure and will have people that can tackle in space. Hopefully our D can keep them in check until he settles in Saturday night.

And he's going to have to do it with no running game, unless it's himself running the ball.

MSUDawg99
09-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Yes

Bothrops
09-13-2016, 09:34 AM
I don't understand what the hell is going on with the Rb's.

Todd4State
09-13-2016, 09:35 AM
Yea, it is rather sad. And, if and when Mullen leaves whether it is this year or 10 years from now the same group will be complaining about the next coach we hire. It is a never ending process.

And, I do not necessarily agree with Holloway up the middle as much as it is called but you have to call it every now and then to keep the outside run in play. Otherwise, every time he was in the game teams would just key on swing passes and outside runs. Now near the goal line I don't get it. But, you have to show that occasionally.

If first half of South Carolina Dan shows up I won't bitch one bit. Actually it kind of pisses me off to watch us play and function up to our potential or very close to it after clearly not doing so for at least a year.

HSVDawg
09-13-2016, 09:52 AM

I noticed this as well. There's no doubt that Holloway sucks at pass blocking, but it is pretty rare that we keep him in the backfield for that purpose. In fact, it seems we pull a TE in for pass blocking usually and don't have any backs in the formation on a good number of 3rd and medium to long downs. But when we do keep one in, usually it is Shumpert. That is why I think the pass blocking thing is more of a myth. I think ball security and following assignments may be the bigger concern for our coaches as to why the younger guys aren't playing (both of those concerns are still an indictment on the coaches for not developing them better).

The above are just my general observations based on what I recall over the first two games. If someone who has watched both games in detail and observed how often we kept backs in for pass blocking (and which backs), I'd be curious to know what that breakdown looks like.

fishwater99
09-13-2016, 10:26 AM
I don't understand what the hell is going on with the Rb's.

Then you don't know Dan Mullen. You don't play for him unless you are a Junior or Senior, not matter how talented you are.

It makes no damn sense, but that is just how it is.

Taog Redloh
09-13-2016, 10:31 AM

Don't be dumb. LSU is certainly going to boat race us but we beat Carolina's ass. They never had a chance and we mailed it in after the lightning delay.