PDA

View Full Version : Assuming we finish predictably (with 4-5-6 wins), is 2017 more like 2014 or 2001?

Taog Redloh
09-12-2016, 12:46 PM
First, let me back up. By 4-5-6 wins, I mean that we don't finish in a trainwreck that results in Mullen being fired, and we don't reel off 10-2 or something and he leaves. What I mean is that we enter 2017 with the same coaching staff and hopefully hungry.

Now, it's been mentioned here that we are 'young'. In my research, we are, at the skill positions. However, we are not young on the offensive and defensive lines. Plus, we have a lot of seniors in general. I do recognize the gap there between the seniors and young players, it's been noted time and time again. And looking at the commitment list, we have 7 JUCOs currently committed (2 OL, 3 DL, 1 DB, 1 TE) and a few more we are pursuing, including at least 1 OL. Which is good, because we will need them to fill a big hole.

Back to the original question, is this setting us up for 2014 or 2001? Has the makings of both. Many people point to it as a rise year as many well-known players will be upperclassmen, but those same players are not in the trenches. Which brings back memories of Arizona Western.

What say the board? I think if the JUCO crop is good, it could lead to a year where Mullen is interview-happy again. A bust year after going 10-2, 8-4, 5-7 (ie bad trend), followed up by 2-10 or 3-9, could have him job-HUNTING rather than job-hopping.

Johnson85
09-12-2016, 04:26 PM
First, let me back up. By 4-5-6 wins, I mean that we don't finish in a trainwreck that results in Mullen being fired, and we don't reel off 10-2 or something and he leaves. What I mean is that we enter 2017 with the same coaching staff and hopefully hungry.

Now, it's been mentioned here that we are 'young'. In my research, we are, at the skill positions. However, we are not young on the offensive and defensive lines. Plus, we have a lot of seniors in general. I do recognize the gap there between the seniors and young players, it's been noted time and time again. And looking at the commitment list, we have 7 JUCOs currently committed (2 OL, 3 DL, 1 DB, 1 TE) and a few more we are pursuing, including at least 1 OL. Which is good, because we will need them to fill a big hole.

Back to the original question, is this setting us up for 2014 or 2001? Has the makings of both. Many people point to it as a rise year as many well-known players will be upperclassmen, but those same players are not in the trenches. Which brings back memories of Arizona Western.

What say the board? I think if the JUCO crop is good, it could lead to a year where Mullen is interview-happy again. A bust year after going 10-2, 8-4, 5-7 (ie bad trend), followed up by 2-10 or 3-9, could have him job-HUNTING rather than job-hopping.

More like 2012. We have talent, but we also have holes we aren't going to fix by next year. Hopefully our staff will at least be better.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure how this year will rate out. I want to see how next week unfolds. If we win we are 2-1 with a likely 3-1 month and October filled with mostly very winnable games which would allow us to focus on Auburn. Then we have our typical tough slate of games with Texas A&M, Alabama, Arkansas, and then Ole Miss.

If we lose we are 2-2 and probably looking more like a 6-6 team depending on how we play against LSU. A close loss might encourage me going forward.

I think a lot of it depends on if we can improve our running back personnel usage and if our secondary continues to improve as they appear to be doing.

I need more data because I really don't know how good or bad we are right now. We lost to South Alabama but without our now undisputed best QB and then we looked dominant for a half against South Carolina but then had a weather delay followed by all out conservative play calling in the second half.

I might wait until after Auburn to form a complete opinion on the matter.

Taog Redloh
09-12-2016, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure how this year will rate out. I want to see how next week unfolds. If we win we are 2-1 with a likely 3-1 month and October filled with mostly very winnable games which would allow us to focus on Auburn. Then we have our typical tough slate of games with Texas A&M, Alabama, Arkansas, and then Ole Miss.

If we lose we are 2-2 and probably looking more like a 6-6 team depending on how we play against LSU. A close loss might encourage me going forward.

I think a lot of it depends on if we can improve our running back personnel usage and if our secondary continues to improve as they appear to be doing.

I need more data because I really don't know how good or bad we are right now. We lost to South Alabama but without our now undisputed best QB and then we looked dominant for a half against South Carolina but then had a weather delay followed by all out conservative play calling in the second half.

I might wait until after Auburn to form a complete opinion on the matter.

I agree on more data but what I've seen has thoroughly convinced me that we are a 6-6 team at best.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 05:23 PM
I agree on more data but what I've seen has thoroughly convinced me that we are a 6-6 team at best.

I can buy that for now. Beating South Carolina was fun but they're not much better than Vanderbilt.

Liverpooldawg
09-12-2016, 05:31 PM
More like 2012. We have talent, but we also have holes we aren't going to fix by next year. Hopefully our staff will at least be better.

This