PDA

View Full Version : It's Knox, not Hevesy

justwin
09-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Knox and his senior croom loyalty is the problem.

Some of you wishing Hevesy gone need to realize he's not going anywhere. Knox, on the other hand, should get some heat for the continued misuse of the RBs.

It's sickening that midway through the 3Q, Holloway was 10 carries for 30 yards. sickening, with 4 capable young RBs able to contribute more effectively.

So, when you bitch about OL & Hevesy, need to substitute Knox instead.

Hevesy needs the benefit of having a big, young RB break tackles to help his OL unit. Yeah, Hev is not perfect, but he's decent enough @ coaching them.

OL don't like to retreat in pass-pro and they hate when RBs can't break tackles. Both solved when using one of the young RBs.

Knox needs to go. He needs to quit blaming it on their pass protection b/c you all saw Aeris pick up that goal line block on Jordan's TD catch. Knox & his "pass blocking" is a lie....Knox would rather give the participation reward vs playing the best players. 8 years to back this up. Perkins instead of J-Rob and last two years.

confucius say
09-12-2016, 10:29 AM
I wish one of the best reporters would press Mullen on how rb playing time is decided. Is it Mullen or Knox?

I know lee has had off field issues, but have Williams and Gibson? Any chance that's what is going on, like with Perkins/jrob?

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 10:29 AM
If true that's where Dan needs to step in.

WinningIsRelentless
09-12-2016, 10:30 AM
It was nice to see aeries get some clutch carries in a critical situation in the 4q.

Political Hack
09-12-2016, 10:32 AM
I wish one of the best reporters would press Mullen on how rb playing time is decided. Is it Mullen or Knox?

I know lee has had off field issues, but have Williams and Gibson? Any chance that's what is going on, like with Perkins/jrob?

I'd actually read the CL of the printed that story.

HoopsDawg
09-12-2016, 10:32 AM

I remember Norwood having 5 great carries in a game yet we kept running the other guy. Jackie said after the game that our RB's coach needs to go with the hot back. So Jackie kind of threw Glenn Davis or whoever it was under the bus.

HSVDawg
09-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Add Alec Murphy to that list too. We have 3 RB's who have already redshirted who have seen zero total carries in the first two games, a 4th one who has gotten 7 total carries, all while Holloway and Shump have combined for about 40 touches between them. It really is baffling.

justwin
09-12-2016, 10:35 AM

that's the thing....Dan is busy calling plays, being a HC, etc. so, now he has to manage a position group too? At some point the blame needs to go on Knox.

Knox needs to go. What does he contribute?

We lined up Holloway doting the ****ing I in the 3Q. I can't be the only one who saw that. Yep, and it went for two yards with a lead FB, Shump. It's sickening knowing that we are losing that one close game every year b/c of our misuse of the RB.

ShotgunDawg
09-12-2016, 10:39 AM
You guys are silly willies.

I too wanted Knox fired after the 3rd and goal up the gut run by Holloway, but then I realized that it's Mullen's fault because these coaches spend endless hours game planning and surely the running back rotation was brought up. If not, that's still on Mullen.

This is simple folks. Knox works for Mullen, not the other way around.

lamont
09-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I don't know of any coach out there that calls offensive plays but doesn't think about the personnel in the game in making his playcall decisions. It starts at the top. If Mullen wanted a particular RB in the game- he'd be in there

shoeless joe
09-12-2016, 11:13 AM
I remember Norwood having 5 great carries in a game yet we kept running the other guy. Jackie said after the game that our RB's coach needs to go with the hot back. So Jackie kind of threw Glenn Davis or whoever it was under the bus.

Kentucky in 02. Norwood had 10 carries for, I believe, 120+ yards. This was the game abney single handedly beat us with punt returns. Also the game Justin Jenkins was about to stroll in for a touchdown with no one within 20 yards of him and he inexplicably dropped the ball. But unlike cook last Monday, Kentucky recovered. That was a cold, wet, miserable loss.

justwin
09-12-2016, 11:22 AM
You guys are silly willies.

I too wanted Knox fired after the 3rd and goal up the gut run by Holloway, but then I realized that it's Mullen's fault because these coaches spend endless hours game planning and surely the running back rotation was brought up. If not, that's still on Mullen.

This is simple folks. Knox works for Mullen, not the other way around.

Knox's vote on playing Shump & Holloway more carries weight with Mullen. It's not that simple and not an auto-veto by Mullen. I do suspect that it will be addressed this week, hopefully.

gravedigger
09-12-2016, 11:23 AM

And except for it not being true, id agree

justwin
09-12-2016, 11:27 AM
I don't know of any coach out there that calls offensive plays but doesn't think about the personnel in the game in making his playcall decisions. It starts at the top. If Mullen wanted a particular RB in the game- he'd be in there

That's bullchit. You know one, Mullen. Dude had Holloway dotting the I. Dotting the I. Mullen values his playcalling skills > personnel selection. Thinks any combo of players can succeed when "talent" does make a difference. Knox is just as much to blame for Aeris' lack of PT as anyone & needs to be called out for it.

Mullen needs to remember that we beat LSU b/c of J-Rob in 2014. In order to beat LSU in 2016, Aeris or one of the other young guys needs to receive similar PT as J-Rob in 2014. We have no chance with Holloway & Shump.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Who is the running game coordinator?

Dawgfan77
09-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Who is the running game coordinator?
John Hevesy

msujan
09-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Do y'all remember that Hevesy is the one who was in La recruiting a kid where he happened to see Dak Prescott. He pushed until Mullen saw him. The rest is history.

Apoplectic
09-12-2016, 12:04 PM
This team is micromanaged by one person

HSVDawg
09-12-2016, 12:30 PM
That's bullchit. You know one, Mullen. Dude had Holloway dotting the I. Dotting the I. Mullen values his playcalling skills > personnel selection. Thinks any combo of players can succeed when "talent" does make a difference. Knox is just as much to blame for Aeris' lack of PT as anyone & needs to be called out for it.

Mullen needs to remember that we beat LSU b/c of J-Rob in 2014. In order to beat LSU in 2016, Aeris or one of the other young guys needs to receive similar PT as J-Rob in 2014. We have no chance with Holloway & Shump.

Were you trying to contradict RP's point with this post? Because if so you did a terrible job of it. He said the buck stops with Mullen on personnel and who is in the game. Your point about Mullen thinking the system works regardless of who is in the game only further proves his point as to why a change hasn't been made. Knox may have some responsibilty but his impact on the actual depth chart is marginal at best. If its Knox's fault that our other guys aren't ready after 2 or 3 years in the system, then that is on Mullen too for retaining him.

msstatelp1
09-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Mullen needs to fire his Offensive Coordinator and hire one that can do the job. That way he can concentrate on being the Head Coach.

justwin
09-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Were you trying to contradict RP's point with this post? Because if so you did a terrible job of it. He said the buck stops with Mullen on personnel and who is in the game. Your point about Mullen thinking the system works regardless of who is in the game only further proves his point as to why a change hasn't been made. Knox may have some responsibilty but his impact on the actual depth chart is marginal at best. If its Knox's fault that our other guys aren't ready after 2 or 3 years in the system, then that is on Mullen too for retaining him.

No, wasn't trying to contradict. My point is that RP & shotgun can't just brush it off as Mullen's fault as simple or silly. Knox deserves a ton of blame too. For the last 2 years, people has bitched about Hevesy ad nausem, which is deserved. Knox deserves same kind of heat & pressure.

HSVDawg
09-12-2016, 12:58 PM
No, wasn't trying to contradict. My point is that RP & shotgun can't just brush it off as Mullen's fault as simple or silly. Knox deserves a ton of blame too. For the last 2 years, people has bitched about Hevesy ad nausem, which is deserved. Knox deserves same kind of heat & pressure.

Ok well then I agree. But most people have recognized Knox as a problem for a while, but I think it has more to do with recruiting and generally coaching the position than it does his assesment of the talent. The depth chart is all Mullen.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 02:57 PM

You are right that they both deserve heat.

Bothrops
09-12-2016, 04:14 PM
But we don't even play our running backs. How could he misuse them?

IMissJack
09-12-2016, 05:55 PM
To my knowledge, Hevesy does not have 4* linemen he recruited. Knox does have 4* RBs. But, you may be right. I do know this. MSU has usually, throughout my lifetime, had pretty good running backs, including times when we were no great group of talent at the OL. The downfall of MSU has usually been the QB. So the recent lack of production at the RB position, when we have had some good QB's is baffling to me.

yjnkdawg
09-12-2016, 06:19 PM
I imagine Hevesy has a good bit of input in this, even if Knox makes the recommendations, but maybe not. It would appear that Hevesy would be the one who would want the older experienced players to run behind his offensive line. Anyway, whether it is Knox, Hevesy or Mullen, they needed to get the best talent on the field.

djaymsu5
09-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Knox's vote on playing Shump & Holloway more carries weight with Mullen. It's not that simple and not an auto-veto by Mullen. I do suspect that it will be addressed this week, hopefully.

I doubt it