PDA

View Full Version : Holloway

msstate7
09-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Probably something I dreamed up to justify why Holloway got so many 2nd half carries, but maybe this could be dan's justification in it...

Dan is on the fence with using Holloway as the feature back and used a game vs an sec team to give Holloway a chance to prove he can handle it in a game we had in hand. Hopefully Dan now sees that Holloway is a change of pace back and gives aeris the next shot.

Liverpooldawg
09-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I think Holloway is being used because he is really the only one with breakaway speed. We don't have much of that, anywhere on the offense.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Holloway's touches go down as the season goes along. At least I'm optimistic they will. On another site a poster indicated that some of his inside reads are reads that Fitzgerald should be keeping on the option. I'm not 100% sure about that. I would imagine it could be the defense forcing Fitzgerald to make that read because of Holloway's lack of being an inside running threat.

Either way a bigger back would be more ideal whatever the actual case is.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 10:27 AM
I think Holloway is being used because he is really the only one with breakaway speed. We don't have much of that, anywhere on the offense.

Malik Dear and Donald Gray say hello.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 10:28 AM
And Mixon too.

WinningIsRelentless
09-12-2016, 10:28 AM
On the play on the goal line Fitz should have kept it. He missed the read or either he gave it anyway because he was dying from the run down there

HoopsDawg
09-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Since we removed the blocking back from our offense, we have only had one year where our RB was effective the running the ball and that was J-Rob in 2014. We also had our most experienced and probably best O-line that year.

Holloway is a great weapon on swing passes and outside runs. And you have to give him a couple of carries on the inside to keep Defenses honest. But 15 carries and the majority being on the inside zone read is comical.

justwin
09-12-2016, 10:31 AM
The only reason that Dan played Holloway & Shump as much as he did is b/c he didn't want to wholesale change his entire backfield in one game...only logical reason. He was almost in tears postgame talking about DWill so that just shows you he hates not playing senior b/c "they've bought in, whatnot" when it's their time. So, now that we have settled on the younger QB, next step is wholesale change of the RBs. Dan eluded to this last year vs Mizzou when he played Shump more than he should've b/c he was steady reliable which you only get in dan's eyes through age. If Dan is in tears on DWill, wait to see how choked up he gets in a postgame presser after telling Shump he is getting replaced.

Playing Holloway between the tackles has proven to not work in first two games. South Carolina is awful and has an awful coach. If it doesn't work against that SEC team, it certainly wont work vs an SEC West team.

Aeris blocked well, broke tackles, hustled, etc. He was the former Mr. Mississippi who has been no sir, yes sir, humble, etc since he signed. Time to reward him.

Then reward the other 3 younger guys.

confucius say
09-12-2016, 10:33 AM

Maybe so. But that doesn't explain the goal line conundrum.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-12-2016, 10:39 AM
I've read several posts where people say it's because of his breakaway speed, etc. and possibility of hitting the home run play.

I equate Holloway and his home run ability to a baseball player with home run power, but a batting average of .205

Of course, if you use Holloway's carries to this point and his home runs, he's batting less than .205

I'm like everybody else; I love his heart and desire, just wish Mullen would use him differently.

msstate7
09-12-2016, 10:41 AM
I've read several posts where people say it's because of his breakaway speed, etc. and possibility of hitting the home run play.

I equate Holloway and his home run ability to a baseball player with home run power, but a batting average of .205

Of course, if you use Holloway's carries to this point and his home runs, he's batting less than .205

I'm like everybody else; I love his heart and desire, just wish Mullen would use him differently.

Gonna need holloway's obp to determine if batting avg and power are good enough to play?**

RougeDawg
09-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Since Dan reads this board, maybe we should start praising the Holloway up the gut and Dan will stop doing it.**

confucius say
09-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Gonna need holloway's obp to determine if batting avg and power are good enough to play?**

And his wins against replacement

AROB44
09-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Since Dan reads this board, maybe we should start praising the Holloway up the gut and Dan will stop doing it.**

You actually believe this?

Sacrifice
09-12-2016, 11:44 AM
I would love to see Holloway and Dear switch positions

starkvegasdawg
09-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Probably something I dreamed up to justify why Holloway got so many 2nd half carries, but maybe this could be dan's justification in it...

Dan is on the fence with using Holloway as the feature back and used a game vs an sec team to give Holloway a chance to prove he can handle it in a game we had in hand. Hopefully Dan now sees that Holloway is a change of pace back and gives aeris the next shot.

He's a senior. How many games does he have to see him in?

HSVDawg
09-12-2016, 12:37 PM

There is no way he should be on the fence about Holloway being a feature back that can handle 15-20 carries a game. If that is the case, then having a coach that had that much lack of knowledge about the RB position would be even more unsettling than other guys just not being ready. We can only hope that Holloway's carries were inflated due to Fitz keeping a couple of times he shouldn't have on the zone read, and us trying to run out the clock late in the game. I can guarantee you the plan going forward for every team on our schedule is to force the QB to give up the ball whenever Holloway is in. We laid that blueprint out to perfection last Saturday.

Dallas_Dawg
09-12-2016, 01:07 PM

I love analogies and this is a good one.
Holloway = Wes Rea
Aeris could be Jake Mangum

Prentis
09-12-2016, 01:28 PM
This

People act as if we don't have other running backs on the team. I.e Gibson, Murphy, Lee, and Williams.

thf24
09-12-2016, 01:33 PM

He doesn't have breakaway speed though. He's quick and shifty, but he gets run down by linebackers.

Really Clark?
09-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Since we removed the blocking back from our offense, we have only had one year where our RB was effective the running the ball and that was J-Rob in 2014. We also had our most experienced and probably best O-line that year.

Holloway is a great weapon on swing passes and outside runs. And you have to give him a couple of carries on the inside to keep Defenses honest. But 15 carries and the majority being on the inside zone read is comical.

Wasn't the blocker removed for Ballard and Perk in 2011 & 2012? Both went over 1,000 yards

Leroy Jenkins
09-12-2016, 01:47 PM

I would too... now. Holloway started out as a slot guy that couldn't catch so we decided to hand him the ball, that led to his position change to RB. Now that he has cured his dropsies over the last couple years I think we can move him back.

preachermatt83
09-12-2016, 01:47 PM
The only reason that Dan played Holloway & Shump as much as he did is b/c he didn't want to wholesale change his entire backfield in one game...only logical reason. He was almost in tears postgame talking about DWill so that just shows you he hates not playing senior b/c "they've bought in, whatnot" when it's their time. So, now that we have settled on the younger QB, next step is wholesale change of the RBs. Dan eluded to this last year vs Mizzou when he played Shump more than he should've b/c he was steady reliable which you only get in dan's eyes through age. If Dan is in tears on DWill, wait to see how choked up he gets in a postgame presser after telling Shump he is getting replaced.

Playing Holloway between the tackles has proven to not work in first two games. South Carolina is awful and has an awful coach. If it doesn't work against that SEC team, it certainly wont work vs an SEC West team.

Aeris blocked well, broke tackles, hustled, etc. He was the former Mr. Mississippi who has been no sir, yes sir, humble, etc since he signed. Time to reward him.

This!!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Wasn't the blocker removed for Ballard and Perk in 2011 & 2012? Both went over 1,000 yards

SYLVESTER HEMPHILL says hello....

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 02:51 PM

I agree. Bring back the fullback/H-Back.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 02:53 PM

Well said and I agree.

Really Clark?
09-12-2016, 02:55 PM
SYLVESTER HEMPHILL says hello....

Yeah he left after 2011 though. Was thinking 2010

mstatefan91
09-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Aeris needs to be the guy. Bring Shump in for read option when you need 1 to 2 yards. Send Holloway to the slot.

It isn't rocket science.

Percho
09-12-2016, 04:29 PM

What little I have coached and on a very small level it is the hardest thing about coaching and being competitive. If you are anywhere close to human you grow attached to players esp. players who give it their all.