PDA

View Full Version : Rewatched the SC game and noticed

TaleofTwoDogs
09-12-2016, 09:39 AM
at the 8:40 mark in the 1st qtr we ran a tight end screen right with Jesse Jackson & Holloway wide. Jackson took on his defender and was still aggressively blocking after the whistle. Holloway was blown up by the DB and the DB made the tackle on Johnson for a loss. Why do our coaches put Holloway in a position where physicality is the requirement for the play? Last year Bear would have destroyed the DB and the play probably gains 5-10 yards. Still scratching my head on the use of some personnel.

confucius say
09-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Yea I noticed that when it happened. My thought was Holloway is going to get ross killed.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Yea I noticed that when it happened. My thought was Holloway is going to get ross killed.

Agreed. Timing is critical on that play and the blockers need to keep the defense off the receiver so he can make his cut downfield

munk_munk92
09-12-2016, 04:21 PM
There were several plays where Holloway got blown up. It makes no damn sense to keep putting him out there. The coaches need to be held accountable for their ignorance.

Apoplectic
09-12-2016, 07:07 PM
There were several plays where Holloway got blown up. It makes no damn sense to keep putting him out there. The coaches need to be held accountable for their ignorance.

Our internet media guys are nutless - has this even been asked?

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Here is a post I started a thread with earlier today. Got 0 replies, so I assumed nobody else noticed or gave a shat. I'm glad you noticed. I sure as hell noticed it when it happened. Watch for it this weekend. It will happen again.

Here is my biggest complaint so far....

Not utilizing our personnel to situational football. Meaning not using the best personnel for a particular play.

Who would you rather see run a fade pattern from the 5 yard line....Bear or Myles? I wish the hell Bear was here to run one. But you see my point. Utilizing your personnel to a particular situation.

Mullen has said this on more than one occasion. It doesn't matter who is in the game. We should be able to run a successful play no matter who is in the game.

I disagree with this.

We all saw the most obvious one when he sent Holloway into the middle of the line at the goal line. Never should have happened. The next two plays that stood out to me where he didn't utilize his personnel correctly were on the quick WR throws out to the sideline. I believe we actually ran this play with two different formations, because the slot blocked on one play and a rb blocked on another play if I recall correctly. On this play, the QB takes the snap and immediately throws out to the WR. The blocker comes across and blocks the cb over the wr. Holloway was the rb who ran out to block on one play. He whiffed and the wr was tackled for no gain. Second time I believe Myles tried to make the block and again whiffed and ended up with about a two yard loss on the play.

These are just two examples of not utilizing the personnel to a particular situation. Some guys are just better at some things than others. I wouldn't have minded seeing Shump going out to block the cb. I don't think he would have whiffed. Or just send out your best blocking wr from the slot if you're going to run that play.

I wish I had remembered to record the game or I would have gone back and watched to see other examples of this. You probably remember others that I didn't mention, but there are numerous occasions where we could have had a more successful play if we just had a different player in a particular role.

Just from a WR standpoint, you're going to have:
someone who has the best hands
someone who runs the best routes
someone who is the best blocker
someone who is the tallest for a jumpball situation
someone who is the fastest
etc. etc.

I just wish we would utilize each players strengths to the particular situation.

Fans should not have to tell a head coach not to run a 160 pound RB into the teeth of a defense on the goal line.

Dawgfan77
09-13-2016, 05:50 AM
Holloway in space is good Holloway on screens is good. But Holloway any other time... I question coaches sanity. My fear is that the young backs Gibson and Murphy will get frustrated. I've never seen a coach with more trust issues than Dan.