PDA

View Full Version : Theories On Why Shea Patterson didn't Play Sat?

ShotgunDawg
09-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Interesting because all OM people said he'd play.

1. Freeze playing possum?

2. Ole Miss not wanting to waste a year with a guy that could leave early?

3. Patterson refusing to waste year when he'll transfer after probation?

ckDOG
09-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Why were they saying he would play? Don't you typically redshirt quarterbacks unless you have to play them by necessity?

EdDawg
09-12-2016, 08:22 AM
2 doesn't make sense. If he's good enough to leave early he would be eligible to leave after his redshirt sophomore year, essentially he would b wasting a year.

msstate7
09-12-2016, 08:23 AM
4. Pellerin is better at this point and freeze doesn't want to piss him off until freeze is sure Patterson will pass pellerin

ScottH
09-12-2016, 08:40 AM
He and his family wanted him to playing Game 1. Were concerned that he didn't.

Dad and son were to meet with Freeze Friday.

Freeze was to further pitch redshirt.

Freeze's main selling point to redshirting was the FSU QB who was the QB at IMG before Patterson and redshirted at FSU.

I haven't heard the outcome of the meeting however since he didn't play you may could assume.

Dawgology
09-12-2016, 08:45 AM

4. NCAA probably has some shady dealings on record at this point involving his recruitment. Maybe he can't play.

Liverpooldawg
09-12-2016, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't have played him either. Why waste a year if he isn't going to start? I think the obvious explanation is probably the best one here.

TrapGame
09-12-2016, 08:52 AM
He has pneumonia. I hear it's going around.***

QuadrupleOption
09-12-2016, 08:55 AM
http://www.marion.lib.in.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/resized_ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-i-m-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens-1824f9.jpg

shannondawg
09-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Announcers said he was given the opportunity to play, but he didn't want to burn his redshirt if unnecessary.

BeardoMSU
09-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Just getting more practice time in with Uncle Rico***

http://i.imgur.com/1eqFSrO.gif

Irondawg
09-12-2016, 09:20 AM
The assumption from all my OM contacts was that he would play some this year to get some game action to prepare him for next year. Maybe indeed the FSU situation with their QB may have made them think otherwise.

You could argue both ways really. For some QB's i think having some experience before starting proves beneficial. For others it may really not matter.

starkvegasdawg
09-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Here he was when asked if he wanted to play.

http://static.tumblr.com/73d93dcd60ba647f3a5f550626a449af/nlkxxcj/giUmrqyyc/tumblr_static_eric24.gif

ckDOG
09-12-2016, 09:32 AM
The assumption from all my OM contacts was that he would play some this year to get some game action to prepare him for next year. Maybe indeed the FSU situation with their QB may have made them think otherwise.

You could argue both ways really. For some QB's i think having some experience before starting proves beneficial. For others it may really not matter.

For me burning the redshirt makes sense in two situations: 1) you need the contribution or 2) you feel the player has the talent to leave early and you need to get that talent in the field ASAP .

He has a golden arm so very well may be NFL caliber, but I don't see the value in getting a total of 1 game worth of series under a true freshman's belt to make the first couple games of the sophomore year a bit easier in transition. The price you pay is potentially a veteran 5th year senior ready for a big year. That's low return for a potentially huge loss.

But back to the speculation at hand. Let's go with he's ineligible.

LeakyD
09-12-2016, 09:34 AM
If they pissed Pellerin off enough that he transferred, Patterson would be all they have to work with next year. They're going to have to sign a JUCO guy or risk having zero depth. Disaster if Shea goes down next year.

Bubb Rubb
09-12-2016, 10:00 AM

Freeze's main selling point to redshirting was the FSU QB who was the QB at IMG before Patterson and redshirted at FSU.

I haven't heard the outcome of the meeting however since he didn't play you may could assume.

I'm as anti-Ole Miss as the next bulldog, and I hope and pray for dysfunction, but there's no way this is true. Are you really saying that Patterson's family expected him to play in the first game when they already have a senior first-team all SEC QB? Ain't happening. If Freeze told Patterson and his family this, I don't know who's more stupid - Freeze for saying it, or the Pattersons for believing it.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2016, 10:03 AM

His main selling point was "if you don't like it we will fire your other son" P

msstate7
09-12-2016, 10:07 AM
His main selling point was "if you don't like it we will fire your other son" P

If I were the "other son", I'd be shopping the package deal to other schools. When the NCAA gets done with freeze, gotta figure there will be complete turnover in the football coaching staff

Brahmabull
09-12-2016, 10:09 AM
I heard Patterson's dad was tweeted out something about Shea would have done better against FSU than Machine Gun.

msstate7
09-12-2016, 10:13 AM
I heard Patterson's dad was tweeted out something about Shea would have done better against FSU than Machine Gun.

Awesome... I said before the season started that if om starts 1-3, the drum will start beating for Patterson over Kelly even if the losses aren't on Kelly

Political Hack
09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Because high school QBs don't play at OM. They only go with transfers.

HSVDawg
09-12-2016, 10:28 AM
I wish OM would be stupid enough to burn his RS year for no reason, but we wouldn't be that lucky. He won't play this year unless Freeze decides he deserves to play in a bowl game before he graduates.

msstate7
09-12-2016, 10:31 AM
I wish OM would be stupid enough to burn his RS year for no reason, but we wouldn't be that lucky. He won't play this year unless Freeze decides he deserves to play in a bowl game before he graduates.

Nice

Dawgology
09-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Because high school QBs don't play at OM. They only go with transfers.

This exactly. I expect Shea will be transferring to greener pastures before Fall of 2017. Especially after those sanctions start rolling out. This would be in line with every...single...high school...quarterback that Freeze has signed since being at tsun.

Bothrops
09-12-2016, 12:08 PM
He's afraid he will look inferior to Kelly. And he will.

Mjoelner34
09-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Little Favre approves of this tweet.

Spiderman
09-13-2016, 08:00 AM
He's afraid he will look inferior to Kelly. And he will.

^^^

Yep

RougeDawg
09-13-2016, 08:13 AM
Daddy told him to sit because the brown paper bags dried up recently when it was exposed that OM was paying the rent for their home in Biloxi. No pay no play. That's the deal that was made.

Todd4State
09-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Little Favre approves of this tweet.

Well played.

I_Spy
09-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Shea couldn't be mad that he isn't playing because any other school he chose he would have by now. He signed with OM to sit.

He'd be starting many other places probably.

We knew this.

I_Spy
09-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Leo Lewis, J Simmons and Spencer will make Shea Pat look like easy work - so I think it's a good plan he sit now.

tireddawg
09-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Exposed by whom?

Schultzy
09-13-2016, 05:31 PM
They'dve gotten him work last week as an insurance policy for unibrow if FSU hadn't beaten them. But what's the use now that it's not going to be that magical season we've been hearing about, might as well RS him now.

Dolphus Raymond
09-13-2016, 05:34 PM
I had expected Patterson to play some last Saturday to get his feet wet. I'm not much of a conspiracy theory man but him not playing seemed a little "off" to me. If my memory serves me right, he was an early enrollee and went through spring practice so he should be ready for some garbage time play I would think. Maybe later, I guess.

Schultzy
09-13-2016, 05:43 PM
It certainly shows that Swaggart is undecided about resting Swag.

RocketDawg
09-13-2016, 05:53 PM

How much influence does a parent have over playing time? Could it be that was part of the deal during recruitment, that he would play in the first game? I've always thought it was up to the head coach as to who played when.