PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Matt Last night on the ride home and I think he said...

Jack Lambert
09-11-2016, 02:52 PM
that when we see Holloway run up the middle it isn't really intended to be a run up the middle. It is a zone read on his part and he could go into any hole. Matt also said that it is going to be phased out as the season goes along. Now I want to put a disclaimer out there. It was late and I was in street brawl with the Sleep Monster on the drive. I could have misunderstood what he said.

Leroy Jenkins
09-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Dan likes Holloway up the middle because there is a chance he could sneak through the 1st wave and house it when he pops out in the 2nd level. Hes said as much. Sure, it could happen, not with any regularity though.

Spiderman
09-11-2016, 02:59 PM
that when we see Holloway run up the middle it isn't really intended to be a run up the middle. It is a zone read on his part and he could go into any hole. Matt also said that it is going to be phased out as the season goes along. Now I want to put a disclaimer out there. It was late and I was in street brawl with the Sleep Monster on the drive. I could have misunderstood what he said.

You heard right. Inside zone isn't like the lead or ISO play. There is no specific gap to run thru. On zone you have a aim point, either inside hip of guard or outside hip of center. Then you "bang,bend (cutback) or bounce" it depending on your read.

We are having to "bang" it too much because we are not getting it done up front, especially from our guards

Jack Lambert
09-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Dan likes Holloway up the middle because there is a chance he could pop through the 1st wave and house it when he pops out in the 2nd level. Hes said as much. Sure, it could happen, not with any regularity though.

If I understood right he said that the lineman are zone blocking and Holloway chose which zone to run through. It just looks like he is running up the middle. Like I said I thought he said that style of play is going to phased out as the season goes on. What that means I don't know.

msstate7
09-11-2016, 03:05 PM
One thing to consider with Holloway is he has elite speed... Teams have to respect that. Teams have to account for him. When a defense has to make sure they get a man out on him, it opens up lanes for fitz to hold the ball.

Coursesuper
09-11-2016, 03:06 PM
You heard right. Inside zone isn't like the lead or ISO play. There is no specific gap to run thru. On zone you have a aim point, either inside hip of guard or outside hip of center. Then you "bang,bend (cutback) or bounce" it depending on your read.

We are having to "bang" it too much because we are not getting it done up front, especially from our guards

Exactly, it's the base of the offense. All else flows from this.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2016, 03:18 PM

THIS

ShotgunDawg
09-11-2016, 03:22 PM
I don't disagree that he could break one, but it takes our offense off schedule.

With Fitz at QB, we have legitimate run/pass option on 3rd & 4 or less. Problem is that we have to get to 3rd & 4 or less.

When Holloway gets 1 yard up the middle, it bogs down the drive. I'd rather have a back that was more in the 3 yards & a cloud of dust mold that kept the offense on schedule.

So long as we aren't in tons of 3rds & longs, you have to feel good about our run/pass option having the ability to extend drives.

Now... the positive from last night is that teams we play hence forth will have to account for Fitz on the zone read, which could open more holes for whoever is the running back.

With all this being said, Holloway running period on 3rd & goal is dumb, dumb, dumb

Prentis
09-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Nick Gibson is just as fast as Holloway. Maybe not as quick but he is not stiff either.

Todd4State
09-11-2016, 03:31 PM
One thing to consider with Holloway is he has elite speed... Teams have to respect that. Teams have to account for him. When a defense has to make sure they get a man out on him, it opens up lanes for fitz to hold the ball.

The problem is he goes down on contact almost. That means the defense can key on Fitzgerald more making it more difficult for him and us to run.

Goldendawg
09-11-2016, 04:13 PM
A big back getting a good amount of carries can also dish out some punishment on the D, if not wear them down as the game goes on, not so with Holloway.

lamont
09-11-2016, 04:17 PM

This is the correct answer

CadaverDawg
09-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Holloway isn't that fast. We have bigger backs that are just as fast. There is zero acceptable excuse for Holloway being on the field as much as he is. None.

msstate7
09-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Holloway isn't that fast. We have bigger backs that are just as fast. There is zero acceptable excuse for Holloway being on the field as much as he is. None.
Which Rb is as fast as Holloway? I don't disagree with using another Rb (very much support it), but disagree with any other Rb matching holloway's speed.

I think the main reason we saw a ton of Holloway runs in the 2nd half is bc Dan doesn't trust aeris and shump to hold onto the ball. I've heard aeris has fumble problems in practice and shump fumbles in games

Csdog
09-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Wyatt also said that D Williams is our best QB. He has no clue about much of anything

HereComesTheSpiral
09-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Which Rb is as fast as Holloway? I don't disagree with using another Rb (very much support it), but disagree with any other Rb matching holloway's speed.

I think the main reason we saw a ton of Holloway runs in the 2nd half is bc Dan doesn't trust aeris and shump to hold onto the ball. I've heard aeris has fumble problems in practice and shump fumbles in games

He has excellent acceleration, but how many times have you seen him get tracked down from a player ten yards behind him.

CadaverDawg
09-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Gibson is as fast or faster. I'm sure Aeris & others are just as fast or close. Holloway runs like a 4.5 or 4.6 forty. His shiftiness fools everybody, but he isn't that fast. He's no Trindan Holliday or Jeff Demps. He's a Sunbelt 3rd down back that is playing feature back for MIssissippi State. Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

RougeDawg
09-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Wyatt also said that D Williams is our best QB. He has no clue about much of anything

His Bearshart wife has his balls gripped to tightly to think straight.

msstate7
09-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Gibson is as fast or faster. Holloway runs like a 4.5 or 4.6 forty. His shiftiness fools everybody, but he isn't that fast. He's no Trindan Holliday or Jeff Demps. He's a Sunbelt 3rd down back that is playing feature back for MIssissippi State. Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

I disagree and so do sec coaches (3rd team preseason all sec team). It's not Holloway's fault we use him too much and not correctly.

CadaverDawg
09-11-2016, 05:08 PM
I disagree and so do sec coaches (3rd team preseason all sec team). It's not Holloway's fault we use him too much and not correctly.

I can agree to disagree. I don't dislike Holloway....I dislike Mullen's love & usage of Holloway. We aren't playing our best players, and it's just tough for me to accept it. But I have to.

msstate7
09-11-2016, 05:13 PM
I can agree to disagree. I don't dislike Holloway....I dislike Mullen's love & usage of Holloway. We aren't playing our best players, and it's just tough for me to accept it. But I have to.

There's obviously something we aren't seeing. Dan has no problem letting fitz play over Williams or couch, Spencer, Simmons, Leo, etc play as younger player

CadaverDawg
09-11-2016, 05:18 PM
There's obviously something we aren't seeing. Dan has no problem letting fitz play over Williams or couch, Spencer, Simmons, Leo, etc play as younger player

Dan said on his radio show last week that RB is a position where experience matters a lot in our scheme, and there's a lot to playing RB at MSU, so typically RB's are Jrs before they are ready in our development program. So basically, he admits to playing the lesser talent bc we can't teach a guy to play RB until 3 years into our system. That's totally inexcusable to me, and I get pissed about it, so I'm trying to just accept it & get over it while knowing our team will always have a lower ceiling than possible due to stuff like that. But Dan is winning more than coaches in our past, so I'll just deal with it and not get so invested like I did in the past. Enjoy the good times, shrug off the bad. Don't expect Championships. That's what I do now.

msstate7
09-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Don't expect Championships. That's what I do now.

So, we're in the same boat as 13 other sec teams? Haha

Believe me, I wanna see aeris get carries as much as anyone, but I'm gonna trust dan's doing what he thinks gives us the best chance. I do expect aeris or another Rb to get a shot soon... Holloway can't hold up to the punishment he's getting right now for too long. Hopefully aeris or whoever runs with it when given the shot

Todd4State
09-11-2016, 05:34 PM

Yeah because his job was starting to get on the line.

djaymsu5
09-11-2016, 08:47 PM
I know it's like why the hell do we even recruit these highly rated players if we are just going to sit them on the bench. Nick Gibson and Alec Murphy should be our 1/2 punch at RB. Those two will be very very good, book it.

I seen it dawg
09-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Well I wish we would stop running the ****ing zone read to ****ing Holloway in the hopes he MAY break one. It's about the same as me trying to get to a par 5 from 270 out hitting a 3 wood off the deck. Like holloways speed I can hit it that far. But **** I'm much more likely to fan it skull it or snap hook it just as Holloway likely gets beat around like a pinball. Just about every time. Do something smarter. Hit 7 iron Dan. Please.

I seen it dawg
09-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Dan said on his radio show last week that RB is a position where experience matters a lot in our scheme, and there's a lot to playing RB at MSU, so typically RB's are Jrs before they are ready in our development program. So basically, he admits to playing the lesser talent bc we can't teach a guy to play RB until 3 years into our system. That's totally inexcusable to me, and I get pissed about it, so I'm trying to just accept it & get over it while knowing our team will always have a lower ceiling than possible due to stuff like that. But Dan is winning more than coaches in our past, so I'll just deal with it and not get so invested like I did in the past. Enjoy the good times, shrug off the bad. Don't expect Championships. That's what I do now.

Yep and that's bc the rb coach along with the other 2 albatrosses on staff are the ones that have been with him the entire time. Those 3 suck.

Homedawg
09-11-2016, 09:10 PM
The problem is he goes down on contact almost. That means the defense can key on Fitzgerald more making it more difficult for him and us to run.

Clearly that's what South Carolina did........ If they hadn't keyed on him shit, he migh have had, what, 300 yards!???...with that said I like Aries to run more. But you made a really shitty post considering our Qb ran for 195 w a kneel down.

preachermatt83
09-11-2016, 09:18 PM

Welcome back buddy!

HoopsDawg
09-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Yep and that's bc the rb coach along with the other 2 albatrosses on staff are the ones that have been with him the entire time. Those 3 suck.

This all day.

Commercecomet24
09-11-2016, 09:33 PM

Hey you're back. Thought you had abandoned us.

BB30
09-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Yeah because his job was starting to get on the line.

Man, he has clearly played the younger more talented players at certain positions since he has been here. I don't think you realize just how talented you have to be to be ready to play SEC football Day 1. The RB situation in my opinion is about the only position anyone can argue as far as not playing a younger more talented kid. There might be one here or there in the past but I doubt it. We don't recruit a whole lot of kids who come in ready to play day 1. That is just the reality. Dan didn't start playing leo, Simmons etc because his job was on the line.

QuadrupleOption
09-12-2016, 08:50 AM

In the sense that Williams is better at running the offense, I agree - he is a little better than Fitzgerald. He isn't nearly as physically talented though and is limited in what he can do when he has the ball. Fitz will come around, but we need to expect 2013 level Dak, not 2014-2015 for awhile.