PDA

View Full Version : To all you know it all coaches.....

DogsofAnarchy
09-11-2016, 12:42 PM
out there, have you noticed that when we get a big play (20 yards or more) that we immediately go straight up the middle on the next play? I'm not sure if that's by design or not but it has to stop. Manny once said that OM is in a constant state of attack. When they hit a big play they come right back with a mid range to deep throw again. Puts a lot of pressure on a defense, we are essentially giving the defense a play off. We did it after Fitz had the 70+ yard run last night and twice after a couple of mid range pass plays. My question is, is that by design or are we just brain dead to think that other teams haven't figured that out?

bulldawg28
09-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Not a coach but the reason the outside keep option is open is because of the inside read. It's basically the same play again. The difference is he gave it instead of keeping it.

GTHOM
09-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Every coach has his own tendencies, Mullen's may be to run the ball after an explosive play.

DogsofAnarchy
09-11-2016, 01:22 PM
sure it is his tendency because I have seen him do it for years now. My point is if we can see that TENDENCY then so can other teams coaches!! Dan has to be called out on this because we have no room for error in our scoring opportunities. We can't afford the other team to know EXACTLY what we are about to run.

Every coach has his own tendencies, Mullen's may be to run the ball after an explosive play.

lamont
09-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Not a coach but the reason the outside keep option is open is because of the inside read. It's basically the same play again. The difference is he gave it instead of keeping it.

We actually have 2 inside plays.

One is the inside zone. On the read play- we have the guard block the DT and the playside OT folds inside. Holloway hits it straight up the gut behind the OT. QB reads the DT- if the DE chases Holloway- Fitz keeps it. DE stays home- Fitz gives it

DogsofAnarchy
09-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Random who was missing the block when Holloway kept getting hit at the line or in the backfield? Was it the center or guard?

We actually have 2 inside plays.

One is the inside zone. On the read play- we have the guard block the DT and the playside OT folds inside. Holloway hits it straight up the guy behind the OT. QB reads the DT- if the DE chases Holloway- Fitz keeps it. DE stays home- Fitz gives it

Spiderman
09-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Random who was missing the block when Holloway kept getting hit at the line or in the backfield? Was it the center or guard?

watching live, it was guard

lamont
09-11-2016, 03:52 PM
watching live, it was guard

The LB shot thru on both plays. As Spidey said- it was the OG on the 1st one. The 2nd one was just a bad call. All the linemen were engaged and the LB shot the A gap

SallyStansbury
09-11-2016, 08:30 PM
The LB shot thru on both plays. As Spidey said- it was the OG on the 1st one. The 2nd one was just a bad call. All the linemen were engaged and the LB shot the A gap

Drives me crazy to watch this same thing..... For years now and it gets more predictable. Dan would likely provide a detailed answer that he has the defense on their heels, blah blahblah, whatever it would be a bullshit answer because we saw the clear results AGAIN multiple times as pointed out above, especially with a 170 lb back. We can't give away offensive snaps against good teams and hope to win. Cost us points.

ALL kickoff and punt returns....right up the gut, every time! Where is the swag? That has to get pretty easy to defend, if there is a 99% probability the defenders know exactly where he is going?

Also we need to look at the variance around the mean of Holloway's carries. We can't afford the minuscule and negative yards he picks up on a good number of his carries. It leaves us with 3rd and long too often. Speaking of tendencies, anyone see a QB draw coming?

SallyStansbury
09-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Also, speaking of tendencies, we have had the tendency to play soft, waiting for the opposition to "make a mistake". "Just wrap up, hawk tackling Richie Brown....,JT Gray straight ****ed someone up on his special teams tackle. Loved it, might have been the best hit I have seen an MSU guy give in a long while. Where did that go? I hope hits like that are celebrated by our coaching staff. We need more of that!!!

GTHOM
09-11-2016, 09:51 PM
Also, speaking of tendencies, we have had the tendency to play soft, waiting for the opposition to "make a mistake". "Just wrap up, hawk tackling Richie Brown....,JT Gray straight ****ed someone up on his special teams tackle. Loved it, might have been the best hit I have seen an MSU guy give in a long while. Where did that go? I hope hits like that are celebrated by our coaching staff. We need more of that!!!

Agreed. Part of this is all the garbage targeting and roughing the passer penalties that are called nowadays